The Compound - Cover

The Compound

Copyright© 2020 by Grey Dragon

Chapter 8: We’re from the Government

I would be heading to a company that was designing compact nuclear reactors next. I could only hope they might help with the power requirements I now saw that I was faced with, with my last visit.

Somehow power generation didn’t seem to be in the cards, maybe related. I would just have to wait and see.

We would need to travel across the country to the other coast. I was about to book a flight when I reminded myself I shouldn’t. I had people for that now. I didn’t wonder about it as we were being driven.

Looking back, I shook my head. A single pea was not going to feed the world. Moreover, I couldn’t even be sure such peas were safe to eat. Not something I felt I needed to worry about, but then Dr. Starr Teck didn’t seem worried, gobbling them up as he had.

I thought ‘send a memo having him send samples of those two metal sheets to Martin Strong for analysis for any unusual properties.’


Not having given specific instructions as to where I wanted to go. I just assumed I would be taken to wherever they planned to stash me for the night or to an airport they hadn’t yet mentioned. So, I wasn’t paying attention as to where we were headed. Simply thinking of the events of the week. Maybe not the best attitude for one that was being hunted.

My thoughts were pulled away when I heard a voice say we had arrived, and the door was opened. We were at an airport, not a big one, but apparently one large enough to accommodate a mid-size jet.

I can’t say I was not used to it. I had flown on the family’s plane to my grandfather’s funeral. Looking at this one, I hadn’t recalled it was this large. There was Nick, and I believe the pilot, a woman, not that it mattered, but a striking figure of one. Nick introduced her to me, calling her Captain Ann. She injected no need to be so formal. My friends call me Pam. She saw my startled look and laughed.

“I get that all the time. ‘A pilot whose name is Pam Ann.’ I suppose it is somewhat iconic, or maybe it was my name that drew me to flying.

“Your grandfather rather enjoyed flying me; I hope you do so as well.”

My grandfather? Then I looked at the plane, of course, it was his, as I should have known it would be.

Nick explained, “This is one of a number your grandfather owned. It’s been cleaned, and another that was not on its way to Europe.”

I thought to myself, Cleaned? Then I understood. This one would not be tracked while another would be.

I boarded along with the girls, Nick, two other agents, and Captain’ Pam Ann’ my pilot. The flight attendants were already on board and showed me to my seat. I didn’t have a carry-on to put in the overhead bin. Probably a good thing as there was no overhead bin.

I was receiving a tour of the plane and was starting to realize just what I had been living without when I set out to buck the system. I could have easily boughten my own plane but hadn’t. There is the notion of knowing you are mega-rich, then there is the actual living it, not quite the same thing. I had never been in want for anything in life. But then, I hadn’t really wanted anything other than to escape it. Well, that was no longer an option. Maybe a reassessment was in order on my priorities.

The pilot came on over the speakers, “This your Captain, Pam Ann,” there was a short pause as she knew what to expect. Then she went on the describe the details of the flight. Then she offered that if I wanted to see the cockpit, I was welcome to, once we got up to cruising altitude. But if I was really interested, there was a free seat in the cockpit so I could witness the takeoff firsthand. I was still young enough that I wasn’t about to pass up an opportunity like that. It would sure beat a window seat. Being rich, actually mega-rich, well flying first class, just didn’t seem all that first class any longer.

I had the run of the plane. In fact, I was just barely able to wrap my head around the fact that this was now my plane. Well, maybe I didn’t hold the title to it, but as a company plane, the actual ownership was buried in paperwork. Some might say it was my father’s plane

I moved to the front of the plane, and as I entered the pilot area, the co-pilot vacated his seat, and he was introduced to me as ‘Rodger, Rodger Wilco.’ I repeated Rodger Wilco?

Roger Wilco. He replied in the affirmative.

Then a message from the tower, “You are cleared to use runway six niner,”

“Roger Wilco,” said the co-pilot, Rodger Wilco.

By this time, I was reasonably sure that they were putting me on at this point.

When I looked dubiously at both of them, pilots both laughed, and Pam said, “Sorry, just a bit of poor pilot humor here.”

I knew then I was in good hands and relaxed. While the takeoff was nothing but routine, I was still never the less excited. After we reached cruising altitude, I was informed that there would be nothing more to do until it was time to descend, so I might as well take that time to rest and relax. A meal would be served if I wanted it. And there was a real bed to sleep in.

A real bed? And I was in an airplane, a jet actually flying well over a mile high, and would be doing so for the next few hours.

I went back to the main cabin, and other than Nick and the small security team, there were the flight attendants and my two girls. All of which looked like they had just stepped out the pages of Vogue Magazine. By now, I realized that Nicky and Wind Song would not be entertaining me in bed. Though they did things that might be considered better than sex. Yes, some things do feel better than sex. I had no reason to complain.

Still, a kid in a candy store couldn’t have been happier. But, to repeat myself, ‘Traveling first class didn’t seem to be all that ‘classy,’ anymore.’

With four flight attendants, I was wined and dined in high style. Looking back in time, for the price I had paid for first-class, I now felt short-changed. But then this was my plane, and I was its only passenger of note.

Don’t feel bad for Nick and the security team. They were well taken care of. It wasn’t as if there was a coach section on the plane.

I ate and was entertained and attended to as I had never been on a plane before, but it had been a long day, and the flight would soon be over. So, the flight attendants led me back to Grandfather’s private cabin, well mine now.

The room had all the appointments of a 5-star hotel. But as I was led back farther, there was a bathroom suite. No cramped airline privy here.

To be sure not your typical airline accommodations, and if I hadn’t known I was on a plane, I wouldn’t have believed it. It was a full-size bathroom and dressing area. There wasn’t just a shower as I might have expected, but given the number of showerheads, it seemed more like a car wash, minus the brushes. And then there was a full-size hot tub.

Did I say hot tub? It really didn’t take long to shed myself of the suit with the attendant’s assistance. Unfortunately, not all the attendants choose to join me. The youngest and perhaps the least experience did, though.

The others stood back, and there was some whispering going on. I couldn’t make it out and, at the moment, didn’t really care. Thoughts of joining the so-called mile-high club with this young lady pushed aside thoughts of Captain Pan Ann. With what she had said of my grandfather enjoying flying with her. Had she been speaking of his flying her in that same bed? I had thoughts of trying her out later. Would people get the joke; I flew Pan Ann. Probably not the airline had been out of business for years now. However, the girls had different ideas.

When it is all said and done, sex in a hot tub is excellent. Sex in a hot tub on an airplane? Not so great. For one thing, planes go up and down and even sideways at unexpected times. I’m not sure what Grandfather thought when he had it installed. I was seriously considering having it removed. But then again, a plane is not always in the air.

I am not sure why, but pilots always seem to me that they announce the plane is entering turbulence after the fact. There was no sex, and I think now that the gods are conspiring against me.

The other attendants had a good laugh, and I believe, an excellent story to repeat at their next gathering. The young attendant had a face so red you could have stopped traffic with it.

Sex in the tub was over before it began.

I was ready for bed. I think I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow. I guess I was allowed to sleep in, for we were on the ground when I awoke. And daylight was still not shining through the plane’s windows. I realized that I even had a few hours before my scheduled meeting. So, I turned over and went back to sleep.


People can be so unaccommodating when all you want to do is to

SLEEP IN!

What is the point of being the wealthiest person on the planet? If you can’t sleep in once in a while?


Maybe that was a mistake; I can’t say my sleep at that point was restful. Instead, my dreams were of my grandfather’s murder and the person or persons responsible. Updates from Adam seemed to be in small increments.

I did finally find some peace and was awakened sometime later by two warm bodies next to mine. On either side, gently nudging me awake. I will admit there are less pleasant ways to be wakened, but few better. I wish I could have patented it.

I had a busy day ahead of me, so it was all business when I did wake up to face the day. The shower on the plane became very convenient. I looked at the covered hot tub with mixed feelings.

Slipping on the suit, one of the girls said, ‘Alexander Wang Californian casual.’

The flight attendants had put together a breakfast that made waking up pleasure in of its self.

Nick, who looked like he had just finished ahead of me, didn’t seem to want to complain.

Just as I was finishing, one of the agents made an appearance saying, “Your car is ready, sir. The traffic report indicates moderate traffic; you should make your appointment on time, sir.”

I was ready, so I said, “Let’s go.”

As before, the girls briefed me on the forthcoming meeting. I was sort of hoping that by now, the games would be over. But then realized that nobody was supposed to know what I was doing, me as well. It didn’t seem right, but I knew it was a part of my continual training.

We got there. I didn’t know such a place existed in the United States of America. If this wasn’t hell, then it was only a stone’s throw away from where we stood.

It had the appearance of having just been installed here, temporary buildings everywhere. You’ve seen those classrooms schools use when they have more students than actual classrooms. It all looked like it couldn’t have been out here very long. There wasn’t even any rust showing. But in this dry climate, that was hardly an indicator.

The next great leap for mankind?

All that aside, it was on the list.

In this case, I was really interested in what they were doing, as it paralleled the sort of work I was doing. As this was also a research campus of a sort. The reactors were scaled-down but even so fully functional. Since they were supposed to be working on compact nuclear reactors, they were small indeed, surprisingly so. Still, they had an output of something like165 MW, equal to 220,000 to 280,000 horsepower. We were talking enough to power a small city. Or Nuclear powered ships of the Navy.

I’d had this tour before, not here, but with another company as I was doing research for my paper. Things didn’t seem that different, and there was nothing here or at the other group that would rate making it to my grandfather’s ‘To see’ list. But it was here, or it wouldn’t have been included.

I think I had gotten over my irritation with the drill. The tour was fascinating as well as informative. I was hoping for a little bit more when it concluded.

If I hadn’t known my own work, I would say this was what the world needed. And mine might not be required.

What I wanted to know was why they were out here in the middle of New Mexico nowhere? I wasn’t sure but wasn’t the first atom bomb test done somewhere near here?

Well, I was here. I had the tour, now realizing it was window dressing like the others. Still, this time, I wasn’t taking anything for granted.

Instead of asking to be taken to my grandfather’s office, Which I fully expected didn’t exist here. I asked, “why here?”

There was a pained look on Administrator Reaves’s face. Spitting on the ground for added effect.

We had closed our first big deal. Even receiving approval from the State Department to provide power for the islands of Micronesia. Twelve units to start, with twelve more to follow.

This was to be our door into a market that badly needed an affordable non-polluting power source. We revved up our plants in California and had shipped the first twelve. They were on their way when the State Department pulled the rug out from under us.

Some BS about selling sensitive technology to a hostile nation. Micronesia? Give me a break.

Our plants in California were more than halfway finished with the other half of the order. Since it would be cheaper to complete them rather than demolish them, we did so.

That was when we ran afoul of government red tape. One issue after another. Finally, we were told we could store them anywhere in California.

New Mexico was the only place that would accept us. I don’t want to bemoan the state. But most people think New Mexico is part of Mexico and need a passport to get here.

“Damn it, we had their approval,” As Administrator Reaves spoke of the sale. He was pretty bitter. I wondered how much he had invested in the deal?

Then just recently, we found out they approved another company for the contract. Anyone in the business could have told you they were sub-standard in their record-keeping, testing, and manufacturing methods.

Proven within six months after they installed six units, they hadn’t even completed their contract before they started having problems. Then, instead of fixing the issues, they filed for bankruptcy after collecting the deposits for the contract.

Micronesia was stuck with six polluting units they couldn’t use or sell and had to shut down. With no one willing to take them off their hands.

We stepped up to the plate and offered to take care of the problem. Not out of the kindness of our hearts, mind you. But the fuel rods not having been manufactured by that same company, but rather from the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), were very valuable.

Micronesia understandably was not sure they could trust anyone from the United States, but they were over a barrel.

We cleaned up the mess, documented that companies shoddy work, presenting it to the State Department. And for our reward, we got stuck out here. But at least we had the fuel rods.

That company then tried to take them from us. But we explained they no longer owned them. You went bankrupt, remember. So you lost whatever assets you held. On top of that, you sold those rods to Micronesia. That Micronesia then gave to us in exchange for cleaning up the mess you created. Just how is it you’re still in business?

That company whined to the State Department, and they got the National Nuclear Security Administration involved. They were going to take all our fuel rods, not just the ones from the Micronesia deal. But ... and he looked back and forth to see if anyone was looking. We fixed them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.