The Compound - Cover

The Compound

Copyright© 2020 by Grey Dragon

Chapter 11: Our approach

We had been in the air a little over an hour when our Pilot informed us that we had picked up two escorts on our approach. There was one on either side of the aircraft. When I looked, I saw two fully armed jets. I was too startled to tell which kind. Alarmed, I asked, “What?” and looked again out the window to see two very impressive and heavily armed fighters flanking us.

Nick assured me everything was ok, that the airspace over the Compound was restricted, and that escorts were just verifying our identity.” I was still apprehensive. I asked, “What would happen if we were not who we said we were, or they made a mistake?”

Nick declared with his non-expressive face, “I imagine that they would shoot us down.” I couldn’t tell if he was serious or not. Somehow, I felt that what he had said was true. I was not reassured.

A few minutes later. Our Pilot announced that we would soon be within visual range of the ‘Compound’ That we would be making our descent and asked if I wanted to have a seat in the Cockpit. I picked up the handset by my side that would allow me to talk to the Pilot, “I will be right up.”

Once seated, she asked if I wanted to circle the area once or twice, as she had been briefed that I had never been here before.

“Yes, Captain Jane, that seems like an excellent idea.” So, saying, ““Twice around the park, James,” ... wait, I meant, Jane,” stammering, “aw, make it so.”

There was a slight chuckle before I heard, “Yes, Sir! Twice around the park, it is Sir!”

Looking out the windscreen of the Cockpit, I had my first look at the Compound. It was primarily low rolling hills, then as the pilot turned the plane, I saw the Compound directly

I was told it had once been a SAC airbase right after the war. Then, as the airbase was no longer suitable for modern bombers. So, it became a SAC missile base with first Minutemen missiles then Titan III missile silos for a fleeting time. Till the SALT agreement limited the number of land-based launchers.

What!? I questioned.

I hadn’t seen the silos, but what you couldn’t fail to see were huge hangers, one looking much like the one I had seen at Moffett Field.

As impressive as it was, four other equally large hangers of a more modern design that may have been longer, made up the airfield.

The runways of the airbase were not in the traditional Army Air Corps triangle but were two side by side. Quite long, but then it had been a SAC Bomber base.

A reasonably compact base housing area with an adjacent town that seemed to be abandoned even from the air. Well, not wholly so. You could see an occasional Orange and white U-Haul truck here and there.

Maybe the use of the word abandoned was too quick of an appraisal, more like a town coming back to life after a long hibernation. Nevertheless, there seemed to be a newness to the Compound, belying its actual age.

There was an extensive railhead that went off to who knew. A brown golf course that may have been impressive is now barely recognizable other than the sand traps.

How in the hell had the Navy seen fit to build an airship base out in the middle of nowhere? And what gave with the newer hangers. They couldn’t have built at the same time as the more distinctive hanger. Moreover, the Navy had more or less gone out of the short-lived Airship business. With the loss of both the Dirigibles, U.S.S. Macon, and USS Akron. After that, it was primarily Blimps. So, when had they been built and why?

Too expensive to tear down, the base was eventually transferred to the Army, then the Airforce. Only to be decommissioned in the early seventies. Where it returned to the Family’s hands.

It sat idle from then till now. A white elephant of government spending. That now belonged to me.

Even vacant buildings needed some upkeep, and it was not cheap.

I really didn’t know what to expect from that or what to look for. But then, I saw a herd of cattle grazing in the distance and a herd of horses. Some small ponds fed by old fashion windmills. Then there were some small, neatly cared for orchards, some sort of vegetable farm that was really too small to be called a real farm. I couldn’t tell what they were growing. Even a vineyard, though this was clearly not a wine-growing area. Further out, I saw waving fields of grain. Again, I couldn’t tell you what type they were.

A small town tucked next to the base looked very neat and orderly that I described before. I was informed it was primarily base housing for the Air Base,

Then another group of buildings I was unsure about. It looked for all the world like some sort of campus, a college?

Those are the militia barracks I was informed of when the Pilot noticed my interest. Then there were some empty parking lots. They looked like an Auto Mall, neatly laid out side by side, but why so many? They looked to be open, but I couldn’t be sure, as there were large awnings, there could be any number of vehicles under them. Also, part of the militia base, I was informed.

I choked out, “A Militia base?”

Nick then pointed out, “Those are the silo openings...”

‘Whoa, wait, stop, what ‘Silo’ openings?’ I thought to myself, for I had certainly not seen any farm-like silos. Was he talking, like, as in missile Silos? The words Titan missile came back to me. What was I walking ... or, in this case, flying ... into? Then he went on with pointing out the security fence, towers, and access points. Naturally, those things being most important to him.

As the plane lost altitude, I could see more details, but it all rushed by me as I could see the landing strip. Then the jolt as the plane touched down.

What I had seen had the appearance of a rundown military base that was now being revitalized.

Well, I was here to check it out. And it seemed like I would have a very lot to see. Not sure how it all connected to the future my grandfather and I had talked about. Then none of the other businesses had either. But, as I said, it was on the list.

Circling around twice hardly seemed long enough. Truth to tell, I might have had Jane fly around the Compound until we ran out of fuel, and I’d be none the wiser. The answers were on the ground.

This was not an all-inclusive inventory of what I saw, just the highlights of what I noticed at first. There was, of course, the town, actually the base housing, which had given me an idea. I would have to take a closer look at it later. So doing, I miss many other details.

As a decommissioned military base, it had reverted to the ranch it had once been. Now it was once more being used as a militia base. I couldn’t recall that had ever been an area of the Family’s expertise.

Among the buildings within the outer Compound, I believed I saw a horse barn or stable. This perked me up to no end, as one of the things I had missed most before striking out on my own was horseback riding. It had been an almost daily ritual for me, and I had missed it greatly. Unfortunately, with university studies and the workload I was carrying. one of the things I’d had to give up was horseback riding. There just hadn’t seemed to be time, or so I told myself. I would have to inspect the stables as soon as I could.

Making our final approach, we landed, then taxied toward the disembarking area of the tarmac.

Nicky requested I follow her to the rear of the plane for a quick fresh me up. A quick pass through the car wash, and I was ready to go.

Then standing before the exit, I was handed a cool refreshment. I was told it was a stimulant. Odd, the girls hadn’t offered me one before.

The passenger boarding ramp pulled up, and the door of the plane was opened. Nick was first out, eyeing the tarmac and finding it secure. Then deferring to me, I stepped out.

There was a small reception group, a few of them in uniform, an Honor guard, and on seeing them, I wasn’t surprised when I saw a band which started playing hail to the chief as soon as they saw me.

I looked at Nick, “Wasn’t my arrival supposed to have been...”

Nick completed that thought, “A Secret?” he then added, “They have been waiting for your arrival since your grandfather passed away.”

It was then that I realized that they didn’t know my grandfather had been murdered.

I thought, “But why here?” It seemed as unlikely a place I would ever go to, and then I realized that was the whole point.

I looked back out. How could that be? I hadn’t known that I would be here until just a few days ago when I had accepted Grandfather’s Impossible Mission request. Opening the glove box of the Aston Martin. I hadn’t had any regrets about doing that. I guess deep down, I always knew I would take Grandfather’s place. I just hadn’t known it to be so soon and under these conditions.”

Nick went on, “Every person here has been expecting you since your grandfather died. They have some idea of why you’re here, but not the complete details. It has been explained that it was your grandfather’s dying wish.

My grandfather’s dying wish to be sent to this? When you thought about it, that was quite true, it had been. But why not a lovely tropical island and handed a Mai Tai. The thought of scantily clad native girls waiting on me hand and foot had a certain appeal.

Nick went on, they have all been thoroughly vetted, “They want you to know they are committed to you and your safety. Your new staff, or rather your grandfather’s old staff, were all transferred here soon after your grandfather’s death.

They had been? That was sort of unexpected.

Many knowing your mother, just assumed they had been let go due to his death. It had been so long since there had been a death of a family head.

No one thought to look, so no one was watching them as they transferred here.”

Your father moved into your grandfather’s home with his own staff, and from the reports I have gathered, your father didn’t even notice that his father’s home was empty. By empty, I mean everything. Not ever cobwebs were left. The house was thoroughly cleaned out. Nothing left behind. Well, there was that one unbelievably bad vintage left in the cellar.

That everyone had left. My father’s own people had wondered why there had been no transition period.”

Mother was enraged that none of the Valuable Antiques and Collectibles Paintings had been left behind. She had demanded their return. Where had they gone? But as they had not been mentioned in the ‘will,’ there was nothing she could do about it. She took solace that she had a free hand redecorating.

All well and good but a militia?

The manor cleared out? Something like it would have taken months to accomplish, not mere days. I said as much. Nick replied that it had indeed taken months. The move had started as soon as the new manor had been completed.

What new manor?

Nick replied, “Something your grandfather had built. He commissioned it over five years ago.”

Nick went on, “Much of the original Manor went into it ... the old manor is quite large. I don’t think many would have noticed whole rooms were being stripped out. I think the cover story was that the manor needed renovations.”

It was disheartening to realize my father and mother had grown so callous that they had barely noticed. I couldn’t say I was surprised. When I was living there, it seemed like he treated his staff as if they were invisible to him. My mother saw them as a necessary nuisance. Or much the same way, unless they did something wrong that embarrassed her, and those were replaced quickly.

There I was, standing on the landing of the passenger boarding ramp. I had been entirely unprepared to meet people as soon as I landed.

I looked at Nick, his face, as always not giving anything away. I wondered if my grandfather’s hand was in this. It would be just like him to throw me into a lion’s den unprepared just to see how I managed it. But, of course, he wasn’t here, so this would be a test of my own self-confidence. Still, it would have been nice to have been given a heads up beforehand. Maybe I had with the quick fresh me up trip to the bathroom. And that stimulant. That will teach me to be more observant.

There were many faces that I didn’t recognize than those I did. So, I tried to guess at their importance and duties by the positions they stood in.

The most easily recognized was Mr. Tristan, my grandfather’s Majordomo. He stood last, but he was not the least.

Apparently, the dignitaries of the state, Compound, and town. If the governor was there, I didn’t recognize him, having not met him before. They must have flown in. A small grow then. I saw the family colors with the honor guard, a more or less private family greeting, something not often openly displayed. I was to learn that the Family’s colors were not hidden here.

I was preceded down the ramp by Nick and his security agents. They, as my security personnel, checked the surroundings area personally. I then walked down the ramp, followed by Nicky and Wind Song, again dressed as my high-powered assistants. They looked every bit the part. Upon thinking that, why hadn’t they given me a heads up on what I was about to face?

I was startled once again as I was given the complete red-carpet treatment. As my foot hit the carpet, the 21-gun salute started with the band playing hail to the chief. Really? It was all kind of over the top. Again, in my mind, I accused Grandfather! His fingerprints were all over this.

I just knew I would next have to deliver a speech. Cold! I didn’t know just how many were here. The one thing I couldn’t do here was fall on my face with a misstep.

Ok, I was catching on. This was to be no small gathering, and I was now thankful for the non-acholic stimulant.

No, the State governor Gov. John Whitnah Leedy, or either of the Senators from Kansas, were present. But, while I hadn’t met either before, I knew who they were from the media.

As a group, they approached, indicating that they didn’t really know who was most important. The first to reach me stuck his hand out and introduced himself as Ted Dawson, the city manager. I looked at him inquisitively. Calling it a city was being a bit pretentious. He saw my look, looked around a bit flustered, and started again, I am the town manager. That sounded about right, and I smiled. Then, taking his hand and shaking it, I told him we’d make a city of it yet. Dawson smiled at that.

He went on, “Welcome Mister Wolfenstein, to Camp Wolf and the town of Wolfsburg. I am the town’s manager, and this is Camp Wolf’s Commanding Officer, Colonel Blood. And he introduced me to the rest. Then in order.

Andy Talor, the sheriff. I looked behind him for Barney Fife, his deputy. Fortunately, there wasn’t one. Andy looked behind himself to see who I was looking for before realizing it. “Naw, I’m not that, Andy.”

Doctor Rollin ‘Moss’ Stone or Moss, director of the Agricultural Research Station. “My friends call me ‘Moss.’” I didn’t make the connection. He went on, “As in ‘A rolling stone gathers no moss.’ Someone tagged me with that from my grad days, and it stuck,” Ah, he was the one responsible for the neat farmlands I had seen from the air.

Dr. Richard Kimble.The Medical Director of the local hospital. Not to be confused with Dr. Richard Kimble of the TV show. Who was hunted while looking for a one-armed killer by an obsessive police officer? Why would anyone confuse him for such? I had no idea, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Then Blitz Martin, the local city newspaper editor. What parent would name their child ‘Blitz.’ He seemed like a stable enough fellow.

Finally, Mr. Tristan, my grandfather’s Majordomo. I believe I mentioned it before. I shuttered to think of the number of liveries I had destroyed with my pranks as a youngster. But, of course, I hadn’t intended such. They all seem to just happen. Did I just think that with a straight face?

Within the vast hanger, and make no mistake, it had to be the largest open space building I had ever been within in my life. Even with the grandstands filled with people, and there had to be thousands of them. And even though there were so many, it still seemed comparatively empty.

I wish I could say I couldn’t figure it out as to why they were all here. But I did. My grandfather pulled a fast one from the grave.

There were also thousands of men and women of the Militia standing in formation on the floor of the cavernous hangar bay. And there was still room for many thousands more.

“Pardon us,” Ted Dawson started, “it has been so long since a ‘Family Member’ came to visit us. Your household staff has only just preceded you by a few days. Which was our only clue that you would be following. So, we’ve been somewhat rushed to form our welcoming ceremony. No one here seemed to know how to go about it, the protocol and such, till your Majordomo stepped up and helped provide guidance.” Aw, so it had been Mr. Tristan getting in a bit of payback. I can’t say I didn’t deserve it. I did have half a mind to say game on.

While Grandfather didn’t mind putting me on the spot, he didn’t want his people looking like they didn’t know what to do. I had been born into a family accustomed to command for countless generations. While we expected those, we commissioned to understand what they were to do and how to do it, it wasn’t always, so it was part of our job to teach them.

However, I was expected to know what to do, even if I was uncertain about it as anyone else. Therefore, I was to act in a positive, calm manner even if I was clueless about it.

It had been bred into us. But try as I might deny it, I knew it wasn’t truly possible. I was a ‘Wolfenstein.’ As grandfather had been. I had never questioned this about my grandfather. This may be why he had been the head of the Family for so long.

No! let me try to rephrase that. I wasn’t to know what to do. One simply can’t know everything. I was to project the image of confidence to instill strength in my people. A case of never letting them see you sweat.

Then, of course, there was the crowd in the grandstands. As I looked over to the grandstands and then troops before it. I would have to give a speech, I realized, and I didn’t have one prepared. I also knew that I had to inspect the troops, and I would be highly remiss if I failed.

Colonel Blood, as well as the others, walked with me to the grandstand. There was the expected podium, and the town manager went up to it first, if only to introduce the others and me.

He went on that they had an unexpected visitor...

I could have argued that if I was so unexpected, why were they all out here in force? However, I wasn’t going to discuss the point.

I listened carefully to what he had to say as it was all new to me. For it wasn’t lost on me that this was to be no mere inspection of a real-estate holding. I was meant to live here for the foreseeable future.

That reminded me, I leaned over to Wind Song, “Make arrangement for me to visit the capital for the usual rounds of parties and charitable donations. As soon as it is safe to do so.”

There was a noticeable round of applause that drew me out of my reverie. As Military Commander Colonel Blood took the podium, it was clear he was well-liked and respected. He more or less said much the same as the manager, but this time the comments were aimed toward the troops and their families, greeting me. He ended up being the one to introduce me. While I made my way forward, I was met with a surprising amount of applause for someone they had never seen before and likely never heard of.

I stood before them, feeling a palpable wave of anticipation for what I was about to say. Clearly, I represented the ‘Family of Wolfenstein, ‘and it couldn’t be for nothing that I was here.

The good thing about being the last to speak was that it gave me the most time to think. I had gone over in my mind several things to say about my being here, none of which seemed to satisfy me.

I took a deep breath. Then, as the crowd settled down, I began, “First wish to say I am gratified at all of this, waving an arm about me to encompass all. None of this was expected by me. Second, I would say my grandfather is having a good laugh at putting me on the spot.” I paused as some laughed, identifying with the feeling. “As you may have guessed, he is the reason I am here. You all know he died not long ago. Only a few days ago, I watched as we buried him. Then he made his last wishes known.”

“This place was not mentioned in the ‘Will.’ I didn’t even know of its existence.” I paused to let that sink in. Then, I held up my hand for quiet. “Let me assure you, now, you were not forgotten. My grandfather very much had you all on his mind and in his heart. Your Family,”

I continued, “My grandfather knew something that he hadn’t shared with anyone, not even myself. You all know that he died; what you may not know was that he was murdered!”

I let that soak into them. A hush and then a louder murmur followed. I raised my hand as I had more to say. “I realize now I was sent here for my protection. The fact that you were not mentioned was for your protection.”

I went on, “You may wonder why it was I, and not my father, which was sent?” I paused, “It was my grandfather that arranged it that way. He foresaw this long ago and made plans for his eventual death. They included ‘YOU’ and this Compound, for he foresaw that you would all play a role in what is about to come. I can’t tell you what that role may be just yet. I suspect I will learn more of that here as I settle in.”

“I realized that now, I should have seen it coming. Maybe I had, and I just hadn’t wanted to acknowledge my grandfather’s mortality. I looked at the people standing before me, and it struck me. Grandfather must have had loved this place with its people and had wanted to protect it as well. How it must have pained him to have been forced to leave them in the dark about their future.”

I continued, “There was a reason my grandfather stopped coming here to visit and see how you all were and how things were proceeding.” Pause, “He was even then seeking to protect you from notice and all that might have entailed.” I felt the mood of the people before me and even from the troops behind me.

“You wouldn’t have been the first to come into the crosshairs of government police or troops. It would have started with some fraudulent story that would be built up in the media. It almost never goes well. I think Grandfather’s biggest worry was that you wouldn’t go down without a fight. But it wouldn’t have been the enemy you be fighting, only the troops they sent, and keep on sending till you were all dead.

For the true enemy will always remain hidden in the shadows. with all the blame for what happened being laid on you.”

I went on, “Make no mistake, the person or persons responsible have no love for this Family. You are members of this Family, meaning they have no love for you.

“My Grandfather determined that whoever was behind this plot would seek to destroy anything that might stand in their way. He told me in his last letters and notes that whoever they were, had been working from within to undermine the Family for years.”

The notes hadn’t said that directly. As always, Grandfather couched his words carefully, lest any hint of his contingency plans got out. Although my grandfather and I had occasionally played chess games, he almost always won with his ability to plan many moves ahead. This was one such occasion. This was why Grandfather had sent me here as he did and why I was now standing where I was. He knew I was at my best when I was forced to think on my feet. I had a set of tools to save the Family and the vision of our shared future.

I went on, “My grandfather knew the key to the family’s future lay here. He has left it for you and me to find it and discover just how to use it.”, more food for thought,

“My grandfather has every confidence in you and me to fulfill that vision. Save the Family and bring vengeance to those that would harm us. That is our immediate goal, but to that end, for now, we must bide our time, as our enemies have. We will go about business as usual and continue to not draw attention to ourselves. Is that understood?”

In response, there was a roar of approval, a stamping of feet, and the Family’s song broke out, joined by the band and all the troops behind me. I felt sure that Grandfather would have approved and been happy with the way I had managed it. I had won the support of the Compound, as where before they hadn’t known who I was.

But did I really have that much power of persuasion? Maybe it confirmed that years of breeding had instilled that sort of leadership within me and my line. To be sure, I had never seen any like that from my father.

They had been assured that there was a plan, and they were very much on board with it. Knowing they were a part of it.

I let them settle down. Although, as I thought to myself, my grandfather had always meant for me to play the game, it was just not the game I had first envisioned. That toying with people’s lives and with the senseless amassing of wealth. That was the same game that Grandfather had wished me to avoid. However, the game he had wanted me to learn now was much more critical and far deadlier. Its long-range repercussions could only be guessed at for now. I was hoping for the stars.

It now quieted as they saw I was still before the podium. I called to Colonel Blood, “I believe it is time for you to present me to your troops so that I may review them.”

This was met with a stamping of approval from the stands.

I watched as the Colonel passed down the order. I was almost ashamed I had not spent more time learning about the Military other than what I had learned with ROTC training. However, my grandfather had insisted I take that course, over my mother and father’s objections, that such would never be necessary.

Then at my grandfather’s bidding, he had me learn as much as I could. As a result, I had become Captain of my unit by the time I graduated from prep school. Still another of my unrecognized achievements. But that was as far as it went. Mother and father finally won out, though I suspected Grandfather let them.

The troops were brought to attention. I was led out by the Colonel to review them. My ROTC training kicked in, and I did so with as much dignity as I was able. While I couldn’t see each one individually, I didn’t let them down. I had the Colonel stop to let me inspect individuals that caught my eye. I had to reassure a few of them I was not there to give them a dressing down. Instead, I praised their attention to detail and asked the Colonel to make a note of it. I learned their names and duties. Satisfied, I moved on.

Finally, I returned to the podium with the Colonel. I praised him for what I had seen and that I would be interested in their training and watching it. I then moved to the grandstands to join the people there, and from there, I called out, “Colonel, you may now have your troops’ pass in review.’” This was met with a roar of approval from those in the stands. You could see the troops sharpen up at it.

The Colonel gave the order, and I with those in the stands enjoyed the parade as the men and women smartly passed in review.


I watched as they stepped lively past the stands filled with their friends, family, and others that supported them. The Colonel and his men were an essential part of the power projection of the Family. Since the beginning, the Family had maintained a security force, a small army if you will. Fully covered by the second amendment as written. A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. To be sure the Family’s security force met the terms of the amendment in that it was very well regulated, and to be sure being necessary to the security of a free State. It is funny that a free state took a dim view of a well-regulated Militia when they were not controlling it.

Militia’s arms were the best in the world, the Family’s officers having fought and toured many of the world’s countries and finding out which weapons systems worked the best. Often even looking to the different world manufacturers and evaluating the very latest in arms and munitions.

Many of the old standbys were tried and true. That some of the newer developments just didn’t measure up to costs versus improvements. Single-digit improvements. Still, the Family’s troops had the best that could be had. There were no half measures here as these men were mainly of the Family, and we could not stand by and do less because of dollar signs.

But we did have an advantage. We didn’t have to outfit a million-man army, Navy, marine corps, or air force. With just over five thousand men, they were relatively easy to equip with the best.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.