Emperor's Bodyguard - Cover

Emperor's Bodyguard

Copyright© 2020 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 9: Gamma Station

The first few hours were tense as we accelerated quickly. We received updates on the Duke and Michelle’s family. We were two days out and I had just gotten to sleep when Michelle had Silvia wake me up. I walked out of my cabin blinking and Brit handed me a cup of her coffee. I looked at the coffee and Silvia laughed.

I took a sip as I walked toward my seat, “What do you have Kitten?”

She gestured to Peaches, “A Major Alterson wants to speak with you?”

I looked at Peaches before taking my seat, “He could have used my comm.”

Michelle only smiled and I sighed, “Peaches? Put Sweet John through.”

Michelle laughed and mouthed, “Sweet John?”

“Jason?”

I smiled, “Still above ground John.”

“We are off loading now. The Marines and Fleet SAS are a few hours behind, but within twelve hours they should be ready.”

I nodded, “Leave someone at Gamma Station and start a full system shut down. Watch your ass John; I have had enough assholes shooting at me to start holding a grudge.”

I heard him laugh, “The last time you held a grudge a lot of people died.”

I glanced at Tinker, “On both sides.”

John went quiet, “We will lock it down Jason.”

I nodded and he laughed, “By the way, My girls all want to throw a party for your wife to be.”

I looked at Michelle as she blushed, “You can tell them her bachelorette party will be open to all of them.”

Michelle choked and then laughed, “Should I wear a chastity belt?”

Everyone laughed and John sighed, “I will see you on the planet.”

I glanced at Peaches, “End comm.”

I glanced at the system clock, “Peaches?”

“Yes Jason?”

I looked at Michelle, “I need a secure private full holo comm to the Duke and Duchess.”

“One minute Jason.”

Michelle shifted in her seat and then Peaches cleared her throat, “Go ahead Jason.”

I looked at the small holo display on the console between Michelle and me, “Your grace.”

The man looking back was slim and fit looking. His wife looked a lot like Michelle. The Duke cleared his throat, “I have been hearing many things about you Colonel.”

I smiled at Michelle, “Only half are true.”

I took a breath, “Before I get into other matters I would like to speak to you about your daughter.”

He grinned, “From the marine scuttle butt, I take it Michelle has marked you as her consort.”

I looked at Michelle and saw both his eyes and Michelle’s mother’s shift to look at Michelle. I sighed, “I am not a noble and have no intention of ever playing that game. I am sure you are well aware of what I am.”

I looked at the Duke, “I formally request your permission to begin relations with your daughter.”

I saw Michelle’s eyebrows raise but the duke only smiled as he looked at his wife, “You are the first to ever ask.”

I chuckled as I looked at Michelle, “I plan to marry your daughter.”

I took a breath, “I have made her wait long enough. If our ... if she has an accident and conceives...”

I was blushing as Michelle grinned and Silvia snickered behind me, “the child will still be legitimate.”

Michelle’s father looked at her grinning mother, “You have our blessing then.”

I nodded, “Thank you. Now, on to other concerns, you know by now that someone has been trying to kill your daughter. I imagine that was why you sent her to me?”

He actually grinned, “I recognized you and like Albert told me once. Once is accident, twice is coincident but three times is enemy action. I think he was probable quoting someone.”

I smiled, “I think you might be right.”

I sighed, “They are all over the system and you are now targets. Silver Dragon regiment is in system with Fleet SAS and Battle Marines. Under my Imperial patient, I am suspending all movements off planet and am assuming control of this system.”

His eyes narrowed and then widened as he whispered, “The Emperor...”

I returned his look and he bowed, “I bow to the Emperor’s Champion.”

I smiled, “Thank you for understanding. I am looking forward to speaking to you and your wife in person.”

He looked at his angry looking wife, “We will be looking forward to your visit.”

I looked back at Peaches, “Discomm Peaches.”

I glanced back at Silvia, “ask George if he wants left seat time.”

Michelle was grinning broadly as Silvia smiled and called George. A minute later he opened the hatch, “you are saving me from getting beat at star chess.”

I grinned and I slid my seat back, “I warned you about recon marines.”

He laughed, “I think she could even beat you.”

I stood and looked at Michelle as she slid out of her seat. I took her hand and looked at Silvia, “If anything happens bring up the Nelson and do not disturb us.”

Silvia was grinning as I pulled a grinning Michelle to my room. It was almost ten hours before Michelle let me shower and leave. Tinker and Silvia looked up when I opened the door and came out. Tinker grinned and looked at his wife, “I think he actually looks human now.”

She laughed as I opened the ration pack Tinker tossed me. I slid into the pilot seat and glanced at the readout as it moved forward and locked into place. I glanced back at Tinker as he took Silvia’s hand and pulled her up, “Any word from Silver?”

He shrugged, “Their on the way in. SAS and the Marines just started a half hour ago, so they are ahead of schedule.”

I nodded and waved, “Go do something.”

I relaxed as my mind went over everything I knew. It was a quiet relaxing two weeks and Michelle seemed to have an almost permanent smile on her face. We passed the Silver Dragons a week out and the rest a half day later. I had originally planned to dock at Gamma Station but decided to anchor instead and use a space tether to check it out.

The huge star ships floated in the distance as I let Michelle make the approach. The squad of Marines seemed to have taken their unintended trip well. Brit had grinned at George more than once and put them to work or had them do some sim she created. I was checking the scans as Michelle slowed and detached the two gravity anchors.

She started through the shut down sequence when I cleared my throat, “Do not shut down Kitten. Put everything into standby.”

She nodded and her hands quickly danced over her readout. I slid back and looked at Tinker as he relaxed, “I will be going to the station. Kitten will stay here. You will be her primary.”

He nodded, “See if you can get some new vids sent out.”

I looked at Michelle and she looked stubborn, “Not this time Kitten. I need to check the station before Albert and Molly get here and I do not need to worry about you while doing it.”

She blinked in surprised and then nodded. I had already told Brit the Marines would be staying on board for the trip back. I stood and headed to my cabin to ... dress appropriately. I suited up in an airlock and cycled it open. I pushed away from the ship hard and flew towards the distant station. The closer I got to the station the worse the bad feelings were.

After landing on the station and walking down to an airlock, I used a special override and slipped in without setting off any alarms. I was not surprised to step out of the inner lock and find myself at gunpoint. I grinned, “You were expecting me.”

The young sergeant grinned, “We all know how you work Jason.”

I grinned as she holstered her pistol, “How many are on Station?”

She shook her head, “two squads but something is not right.”

I glanced at her quickly, “Bad vibes or uncooperative station personal?”

She shrugged, “Bad vibes mostly.”

I nodded as she led me deeper into the station. We passed several Marines and I glanced at her, “How many Marines are on station?”

She glanced at a lance corporal we were passing, “One platoon.”

From the moment I stepped into the control room of the station I knew I would never let any of the emperor’s family enter the station. It was the few quick angry glances from junior ratings. The station master was a retired Fleet admiral. He held out his hand as we approach, “Colonel Drake, Station Master Haralson.”

I smiled and shook his hand, “Sorry we are disrupting your station.”

He waved it away, “More excitement then we have had in a long time.”

I nodded and glanced around, “Have you had any unscheduled traffic?”

He shook his head, “No. Your people already went over my records.”

I glanced at the tight lipped sergeant beside me. I looked around the room again and then nodded, “Thank you for your time.”

I led the Sergeant out, “Do you have transport?”

She nodded and I stopped her, “Locked the station down. Activate our dragon remotes and move to your transports. Get the marines off the station too.”

She nodded, “We have not been able to get our explosive scanners to work and I was...”

I shook my head, “Do not tell the station personnel anything just get off the station.”

She took a breath and then relaxed, “Thank you sir.”

I smiled as I headed for the airlock, “Do not call me sir.”

I suited up and dove into space heading back towards my ship as I opened a comm channel, “Tinker?”

“Here boss.”

I glanced back, “As soon as I am aboard, move us to ten light minutes.”

There was a silent pause, “We have several ships closer.”

“Use a whisker laser and once Silver and Marines are off the station they are to move away. When the first Battle Brigade gets here I want that station taken apart and everyone on it put under a truth scan.”

I landed easily and carefully moved to the airlock. As I closed the outer doors I felt the ship come to life. I stripped out of the suit and headed up to the bridge. Michelle was in her seat moving the ship and Tinker and Silvia were quietly working the engineer displays. I watched Michelle from the hatch and Tinker grinned at me before nudging his wife.

After the ship came to a stop and the gravity anchors were deployed, I moved to my seat. As it locked in place I glanced back at Peaches, “Star comm Nightshade and request an updated arrival time. Warn her that under no circumstance is she to allow the royal family to enter or go near Gamma Station.”

I smiled at Michelle, “Miss me Kitten?”

She grinned, “Tinker and George were telling me stories to keep my mind off you.”

I grinned as my hands flicked over the readout, “I hope they do not give you nightmares.”

Everyone laughed and Silvia cleared her throat. I glanced back, “You are not Peaches.”

She grinned, “I am not military either and consider it a polite request for your attention.”

I grinned as Michelle and Tinker snickered at me. I waved and she nodded, “You have not told us what you are planning.”

I glanced at Tinker and he sighed, “Jason is planning to bring Albert, Molly and the kids aboard and use the Nelson all the way back to the planet.”

Silvia looked at me with big eyes, “But...”

I shrugged, “Whoever these people are, they will be looking for biggest ships. If Albert is here and we use the Nelson they can not target us and it leaves the Dragon fleet free to do what they need to.”

Silvia looked at Tinker, “The Emperor?”

Tinker smiled softly, “Don not worry, Molly keeps him inline.”

I grinned as I finished my checks and turned to Peaches as she cleared her throat. “Go ahead.”

“Colonel McCartney requests a star comm link.”

I nodded, “Open it.”

I turned as the holo appeared between the pilot consoles, “Long time Brittney.”

She smiled as she looked up from her cluttered desk, “Not since you dumped his ass in my lap.”

I grinned, “At least you got him after Molly and I broke him in.”

She laughed and sat back, “True.”

She sighed, “What do you have at Gamma station?”

I shrugged, “More a feeling then anything else. Junior Sergeant Tunnis was also getting something. I caught a couple of enlisted giving looks that made me think they are part of this conspiracy.”

She nodded, “Plans?”

I grinned, “When you wormhole out, I intend to shut down the station and lock out all systems. You can send a company from first to scan everyone and strip the station to the bones.”

She grinned, “That sounds good, what else?”

I knew what she was waiting for, “I want Albert, Molly and the kids aboard my ship for the ride in.”

She shook her head, “Not this time Jason.”

I glanced back as George opened the hatch and then looked at Brittney, “Do you have a complete list of ships they made and shipped?”

She sighed, “Not yet.”

I nodded, “I have a working Nelson and can run it all the way to Saras. You do not know they do not have a Battleship or Carrier and if they built them off books you know they are not coded.”

She nodded and rubbed her temples, “If I could force him...”

I grinned, “Good luck with that.”

She smiled and then sighed, “Okay, but I am sending...”

I held a hand up, “We have room for about fifty more.”

She grinned, “Than you get Gold’s first platoon.”

I nodded again, “What is your arrival time?”

She glanced aside, “In ten hours and forty one minutes.”

I glanced at Tinker and he nodded, “Set.”

I looked at Brittney and she grinned as she looked at Michelle, “I will personal deliver them so I can met Ms Grey.”

I grinned, “We will meet you at the boarding hatch.”

Michelle blushed and then grinned, “You are invited to the bachelorette party.”

Brittney laughed, “I will get with your maid of honor.”

Michelle’s eyes widened and she turned quickly, “Silvia?”

Silvia grinned, “Let me guess...”

Michelle was still blushing, “Will you be my maid of honor?”

I shuddered and glanced at Tinker, “I think I will put a guard around wherever they have the party with orders to detain any men trying to enter.”

Silvia and Britney laughed while Michelle grinned. I nodded and glanced at Tinker, “I want a full system check completed before they get here.”

He nodded absently while his fingers danced on his readout. I looked at Britney, “See you when you arrive.”

I glanced back at Peaches, “End comm.”

I turned in my seat to face George, “Do a complete check and scan of each set of quarters and lock downs. Have Brit use the marines to do a check of the rations and the water supply.”

George sighed, “Copy.”

I smiled, “complain to Albert when he comes aboard.”

George grinned, “I will just whisper in Molly’s ear that he is getting soft and needs a workout.”

I laughed with Tinker and stood, “Come to bed Kitten. We are not going to get much sleep after everyone gets here.”

Everyone laughed as Michelle grinned and stood up. I woke quickly as usual and glanced at Michelle in my arms. I caressed her face and she shifted in her sleep. I bent to kiss her softly before turning to slip her onto the narrow bunk by herself. I showered and stopped to shake her awake.

Michelle stretched and reached for me and I smiled and stepped back, “Shower and dress Kitten. We will have company in twenty one minutes.”

I walked onto the bridge to see Brit and George in jump seats with Tinker moving out of my seat. Silvia grinned and turned back to her readout. “All checks and preparations complete.”

I nodded and took my seat. I had turned to face the rear when Michelle came out. I grinned at her choice of clothing and Silvia laughed. Michelle was wearing an old uniform shirt of mine with slim dark pants. She had removed all rank insignia and rolled up the sleeves. She smiled at Brit and George before moving to sit in her seat.

The opening of a wormhole is an amazing thing to watch as space is twisted to bring two points together. The huge swirling mass of colors marked the coming arrival. I looked at Peaches, “Peaches log into Gamma and shut everything down. I do not want anything but life support to work.”

“Accessing the station now.”

Suddenly the starships were here. Twelve huge looming shapes that spilled minnows into space as I watched. I turned to my readout and turned on the beacon. Tinker had reset it to display the Crimson Dragon code to anyone that read it. It was five minutes later that the shuttle separated and a small swarm of sting ships surrounded it.

I locked the controls and slid my seat back before standing. Tinker nodded but stayed where he was as Silvia stood. I took Michelle’s hand and for the first time I was nervous about something that did not have to do with combat. I led and everyone except Tinker followed. Brit must have impressed the marines to shine because they were lined up beyond the hatch looking professional.

I glanced at the sergeant, “A squad of Dragons will enter before the emperor.”

He nodded and glanced at his squad proudly. I smiled, “Be prepared for him and the empress to inspect you and talk to each of you.”

He grinned and nodded as I turned to a nervous Michelle, “Relax Kitten.”

She grinned, “Easy for you to say.”

The clang of the shuttle preceded a red light over the hatch. It blinked to Green and then opened without my command. A slim grey haired Dragon stepped through with a drawn pistol. I smiled, “Still leading the troops Henry?”

He grinned and holstered the pistol as a squad slid around him and quickly moved into the ship. They ignored my party and the marines as they quickly moved to check and scan the ship. Henry crossed to hold his hand out, “Still finding trouble boss?”

I grinned as his glance flickered over the marines and back to Michelle. He smiled, “Howdy Kitten. Tinker said you were dragon material.”

I shook my head, “No recruiting Top.”

He grinned again and then absently nodded and turned to the hatch. “Clear.”

He turned to head into the ship, “We will talk later Jason.”

I smiled as Colonel Britney McCartney stepped through and looked around. She glanced back, “You have a party of Marines to inspect.”

She walked to me and shook my hand as Albert and Molly came through behind her, “You almost look like a real dragon.”

I grinned and turned to Michelle, “Colonel McCartney, this is Ms Grey.”

Britney smiled and took her hand, “Congratulations Kitten.”

I looked at Albert as he stepped in front of the Marine Sergeant. I tuned out Britney to watch Albert as he did a professional job before quietly talking to him and then moving to the next man. It reminded me of a certain lieutenant I had once. Molly was smiling as she spoke to the marine and he suddenly grinned and Molly laughed.

I glanced at the hatch as Samuel stepped through with a very large Dragon following him closely. He blushed as he walked closer, “Hey Jason.”

I smiled, “You have not given me cause to put you over my knee cousin, relax.”

He grinned, “Mom gave me your lumps anyway.”

I turned, “This is Ms Grey, Samuel.”

Michelle swallowed and started to bow and Samuel cleared his throat, “do not bow. It makes me nervous when people do that.”

Michelle looked at him and he grinned while looking at me, “It is nice to know my cousin is human after all.”

Michelle grinned and Samuel took her hand, “Welcome to the family ... Kitten.”

He looked at me quickly and blushed as the dragon behind him cleared his throat. I smiled, “Why do not you talk George into showing you around?”

He grinned and whispered, “Can I see the Nelson?”

I looked at him calmly and finally nodded as I looked at the dragon at his shoulder, “As long as you do not touch anything.”

A stunning woman with blue grey hair stepped through the hatch and smiled before glancing back. Constance stepped through with a young man beside her. Michelle whispered, “Who is the boy?”

I waited for Constance to come closer and she finally flung herself into my arms, “Jason!”

I held her, “Hey dragon’s pet.”

She grinned as she looked up into my face. She glanced at the young man, “This is Joey.”

I nodded to him and turned Constance to face Michelle, “This is Michelle Grey.”

Constance looked at Michael for a moment and then smiled, “Nice shirt.”

Michelle grinned, “I stole it.”

Constance laughed and the dragon cleared her throat. Constance looked back and nodded, “Okay Jen.”

She looked at me, “We will talk later.”

I tossed my head and she grinned as she reached back absently and took the young man’s hand and pulled him after her. Michelle was grinning as the three headed into the ship. Albert and Molly were almost finished when three more dragons came through the hatch. They moved passed us and stopped at the end of the short hallway.

Albert was smiling when he walked to me, “I have not done that in awhile.”

I smiled and took his hand as he looked at a nervous Michael. “Kitten, perhaps later you and I can speak about the ... disturbing habit that attracted you to my ... watchdog.”

Michael grinned, “Perhaps it was his inability to be impressed with rank of any kind.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.