Emperor's Bodyguard - Cover

Emperor's Bodyguard

Copyright© 2020 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 8: The Birth of Constance

I walked into Albert’s private suite and nodded to Sergeant Harrison before crossing to snatch my cousin off the floor and toss him into the air screaming and laughing. I caught him and handed him back to Molly who grinned at her son squirming in my hands. Albert looked up from some reports he had been reading and grinned, “How did it go?”

I smiled, “Like clockwork. You should not have any more trouble from that quadrant.”

He nodded and tapped his reader screen, “This is my new headache, Reverts trying to get control of the common seats.”

I grinned, “Not my business.”

He shook his head, “Maybe they are. Dragon Intel is sketchy but something is stirring them up.”

He looked at Molly and frowned, “Molly’s pregnancy is different this time, harder.”

I crossed to the desk, “The doctors at the imperial hospital can...”

He waved that away, “I know that.”

He looked at the screen again, “The one thing Intel does know is that it is something to do with a birth.”

I looked at Molly, “Molly?”

He looked at Molly as she glanced at us. “They do not know. They report the context as the birth of something...”

I sighed and looked at Sergeant Harrison, “Smoky, tell Dragon Leader to send me everything I need to catch up.”

She grinned, “Does that include Samuel’s escape attempt during the annual Dukes counsel meeting?”

I grinned as Molly laughed, “Perhaps he can throw that in last.”

I nodded to Albert, “Let me change and catch up.”

I walked out and could not shake the feeling that something was wrong. I opened a private comm channel to Tinker. “Tinker?”

There was a long pause and then the sleepy sound of his voice came on, “Who?”

I chuckled, “Your sleeping to soundly again. It is Jason.”

“Hey Captain wonder.”

I grinned as I walked through the halls, “I need an updated check on palace weapon and explosive scanners.”

I hesitated, “Have new remote scanners been placed in the Imperial Hospital?”

There was a sigh, “No, the scanner units kept getting delayed.”

I shook my head, “Get with the boss. I want those scanners in place before Molly goes into labor. Ask for some of Silver to help. Also tell Huntress I want to see her.”

He groaned, “I just went to sleep.”

I grinned, “You can sleep when you are dead or retired.”

He laughed, “Pretty much the same thing.”

I closed the comm as I pressed my palm to the sealed door pad. A moment later the thick door slowly opened. I walked into the large room stripping before the door even closed. I showered and dressed before sitting at my desk. The updated packet was ready and I opened it. A tiny window opened in one corner and I saw Colonel Beal.

He looked up and grinned, “Welcome back Jason. Nice work with the Silver’s.”

I nodded as I started scanning the material, “What is the word on the Reverts?”

He looked at something, “Nothing we can pin down. They are definitely planning some action they think will change the empire. We have both Dragon and Fleet intel working on finding out what their plan is.”

I looked at his image, “Albert is distracted by whatever this is. He also ... absently mentioned Molly’s pregnancy not being normal.”

He nodded, “She feels the baby kicking more this time, nothing more than spousal worry.”

I sat back, “You know about my feelings. If he is mentioning this then we should be prepared. We can bring in our fleet surgeon as back up and have him studying birthing complications. Another thing, we need the scanners in place now not when we are rushing Molly in with Albert by her side.”

He nodded and chuckled, “Tinker already read me the riot act and volunteered two Silver Viper’s to help him.”

He looked up and sigh, “Anyway, welcome back. Albert has a lunch meeting with Baron Newcomb in an hour.”

The window shut down and I went back to flash reading everything before stopping and standing up. Huntress and Dancer were leaning against the wall when I walked out and started down the hall. I glanced at Huntress as they fell in, “I want a detailed check of everyone at or near the maternity ward. Use what you need.”

She nodded and they turned to head down another hall. I stopped and looked after them, “Huntress?”

She stopped and looked back with an eyebrow raised, “I have a bad feeling. Do it right and take Dancer to watch your ... back.”

She grinned at Dancer and nodded before turning to walk away. I walked into Albert’s suite as he was standing up looking at his time keeper. I smiled and glanced at Sergeant Harrison, “Put Molly’s detail on alert and tell the Lieutenant I said to go to plan Nestling.”

She nodded as her eyes flicked to Molly. I looked at Molly as she stood and lifted Samuel to her hip, “And what is plan Nestling?”

I smiled, “The salle is off limits until after your daughter is born. You will have a three man detail any time you leave the suite. You will wear the trackers all the time, regardless of where you are. Samuel will have his two man team at all times.”

Her eyes narrowed, “Jason...”

I shook my head, “You accepted Albert as your husband. You knew what that meant. Something does not feel right and I have no intention of putting you or Samuel at risk when I am not there.”

I looked at Albert and he grinned smugly at Molly, “I told you.”

She stuck her tongue out and looked at the sergeant, “Sarah? Tell the ... army, we are going to swim.”

She turned to head through the far door and Smoky chuckled as she followed her. I led Albert out the door and his six men travel team fell in. Albert glanced at me, “Did you get a chance to look over the Reverts?”

I nodded as I continued to scan the hall, “They seem radical but without resources. The intel is sketchy at best, but they seem to think they are going to take over the empire.”

He nodded, “I agree. There is something I am missing. As far as I can tell I have never received a letter of complaint from any of them. We have three planets in the tiger quadrant that reverted. They only went so far before they realized what they were doing and changed directions.”

I chuckled and then stopped Albert at the door to let the two led men step out. When I got their all clear signal, I led Albert out and across to his waiting vehicle. The ride to Baron’s Hall was quiet with Albert looking over notes. While they had lunch and talked over budget matters I used my screen to finish updating myself.

I got Tinker’s comm as we were walking into Albert’s office back at the palace, “Jason?”

I glanced around making my checks, “Yeah?”

I heard Tinker sigh, “You were right. The company sent the new scanners twice and someone stole them before removing it from inventory.”

I looked at Senior Sergeant Muldive, “Stay with him and go to condition Amber.”

Albert looked up from his desk as I turned to the side door and opened the Gold Company comm net, “This is Crimson Dragon, as of right now we are moving to condition Amber. All teams go to fifty percent. Boomer, contact Bronze and Frost for our back ups. Get Amber and Black on the perimeter and contact the Silver’s.”

I switched to the Dragon command comm net, “Dragon leader this is Crimson. I have taken us to Amber status. Request a meeting with you and Silver Dragon.”

I heard Colonel Beal’s calm voice, “I am with Silver now. We will meet you in Albert’s side office.”

I looked back, “Stay here sir.”

I used the palm lock before opening the door. I opened a private comm to Sergeant Harrison, “Smoky?”

“I heard boss.”

I smiled as I stood in front of the bank of displays, “Keep an eye on her Smoky.”

I started doing checks on some of my hunches and worries and the screens flickered as I went through everything rapidly. I glanced at the door as the Colonel and Major came through. I opened a private comm to Tinker, “Tinker?”

The reply was instant as if he had been waiting, “Boss.”

The Colonel and Major stopped beside me, “Have a team of Silver’s bring the backup scanners from the palace and get them in place today.”

He sighed, “Will do.”

I looked at the Colonel, “someone hijacked the scanners and deleted the inventory logs.”

He frowned and looked at Major Hibson, “Someone is inside. Have our fleet surgeon brush up on birth complications and send a team to the hospital to secure one room now.”

She nodded, “I will put Raptor around the ward and all routes in.”

The Colonel nodded and looked me, “Start using the combat transports for any movements.”

I nodded and looked at the Major, “I would like to use Griffin for support, one platoon in stings ships doing patrols and the rest around the hospital in covert hides.”

She looked at the Colonel, “You think it will be that bad?”

I looked at the Colonel, “I have a feeling and I do not want another Wayne. I would also move the insystem ship limit out to the ten light minute mark and bring the planetary shield to standby.”

Colonel Beal looked at me for a minute while Major Hibson was silent. He finally nodded and looked at the Major, “Fine, but use Raptor for the sting ships. I want Silver in covert positions before nightfall. You are to go silent unless myself or Jason contact you. Make sure you have a complete weapons loadout.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.