Emperor's Bodyguard - Cover

Emperor's Bodyguard

Copyright© 2020 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 7: Alpha Central

I led Michelle across the huge pad and into a station door. An elevator left us on the command level and I led Michelle to the control room door. When I stepped into the large control room everyone was looking at me. Two angry Marines stood beside the door and their hands dropped to the pistols they wore.

I looked at them, “I am Colonel Jason Drake. Those sting ships were not using transponders and locked us before firing. I doubt they were Marine sting ships and if you do not remove your hands from those weapons I will kill you.”

They looked at each other and their hands moved away from their weapons. I nodded, “Find the dispatcher that brought me down and detain him. Notify the Fleet Adjutant that he is to be charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit treason. He is to be held in close confinement until Dragon Intel can arrive and question him.”

They nodded and started moving towards the dispatcher’s desk as I led Michelle towards the far doors and walked through them. General White looked up and his face went red, “You were to be arrested!”

I smiled and opened my comm, “Peaches, connect to the system AI and have Dragon’s Claw relayed to every base.”

“Accessing now Jason.”

I shut the comm off, “General White you are an incompetent ass. By my authority as Crimson Dragon you are relieved. Report to the Fleet Adjutant for assignment to Sigma.”

His mouth had dropped open from the moment I had told Peaches to have Dragon Claw relayed. I turned and stopped with the door open, “Colonel Parker is to be notified to replace you.”

I walked out with Michelle on my heels. I opened my comm again, “Peaches, notify system command that Crimson Dragon is in system and may be relieving officers.”

I saw the two Marines across the room securing a struggling rating. I led Michelle back to the ship and grinned at the four Marines standing at parade rest at the edge of the pad. I stopped in front of them, “How can I help you Marines?”

A Lance Corporal cleared his throat, “Top Sergeant Glendal and Top Sergeant Sampson ordered us to wait for you to return.”

I nodded, “And did those fine gentlemen tell you who I was?”

The corporal shook his head, “No sir, but Major Van Dyke said if a Dragon orders us to stand here we damn well stand here until relieved.”

I looked at each of them, “There is a change coming gentlemen. It is time for the Marines on this ball of mud to shine. You pass it along, Crimson Dragon is here and the shit is about to get deep.”

They straightened and snapped to attention, “Sir!”

I nodded to the station, “Dismissed.”

I spun and led Michelle into the ship. She was laughing as I closed the hatch. I smiled as I headed up to the command deck, “You think that was funny?”

She grinned at me, “As a matter of fact I do.”

I shook my head and opened the door. Everyone was relaxing except Tinker. He was scowling, “Do you know what that asshole wanted to do?”

I nodded, “I relieved him and told him to report for reassignment to Sigma.”

George, Tinker and Brit howled with laughter as I slid into my seat. Michelle was looking at Silvia as she hurried to take her own seat, “What is so funny?”

Brit snickered, “Sigma is a frozen wasteland with a tiny station on the south pole. The average temperature is around minus two hundred.”

Michelle grinned as Silvia laughed. I finished my checks and opened the comm, “Beta Seven control this is Cowboy’s Dream. We are lifting for transit to Alpha Central on an Imperial warrant.”

“Copy Cowboy’s Dream, traffic is clear for a least time flight.”

I glanced at Michelle, “It is your ship Kitten.”

She grinned at me and Tinker laughed, “Bringing the countermeasures to standby and bringing up the shield after we lift.”

I glanced back, “Do not jinks us Tinker.”

He grinned, “Man the caltrop boss.”

I smiled as I watched Michelle flick through her readout and begin to lift the ship on anti gravs. The power shifted on my readout as Silvia brought all the plants into the power grid. We turned and Michelle touched the main engines and we started gaining speed. I shifted the displays and focused on irregular signs.

George cleared his throat, “Marine Intel dropped your EQ bag and a note from Molly. There was a Dragon code telling us Silver Griffin’s were insystem and headed in on a fast packet ship.”

The sound of his voice made me glance back, “and?”

He looked into my eyes, “Molly sent a note in a burn slip from a courier doing a private speed run.”

I nodded and turned back to the display as Michelle reached ten thousand feet and opened the comm, “Alpha Central this is Cowboy’s Dream.”

“Go ahead Cowboy’s dream.”

Michelle changed a setting and changed course, “Alpha Central this is Cowboy’s Dream on approach at ten thousand bearing zero nine zero.”

“Cowboy’s Dream this is a military base and access is restricted. Redirect to Beta Seven.”

I opened the comm, “Alpha Central, check your Imperial Warrant list.”

There was a pause before, “Copy Cowboy’s Dream, maintain course and speed.”

I glanced at George, “Worried Molly and I are planning to run off with the silverware?”

Tinker snorted and everyone else was quiet. George half nodded, “Something like that.”

I thought about it and sighed, “Fair enough.”

I looked back, “This is something private, it does not leave this ship. It is about Constance. Molly and I planned for her growth into a woman. Albert can not officially acknowledge Constance learning about sex or any private liaisons she may have.”

“Cowboy’s Dream, descend to five thousand.”

Michelle absently slowed, “Thank you Alpha Central, descending to five thousand now.”

I adjusted my scans, “Peaches?”

“Yes Jason?”

I smiled at Michelle as she started descending, “Can you access the burn slip?”

“Give me a second.”

“It is encrypted.”

I grinned, “Try, Drake as the key.”

“It is unfolding.”

“Jason, we used your old room since it was as close to a vault as we could get. Sorry, but I gave Constance some of your Rainbow Brandy. She said she forgives you by the way, of course she said that after she drank half the bottle. Jennifer and I sat down with her and made a few plans. She knows to talk to Jennifer to arrange any private time with her ... boyfriends. I know how embarrassing this is for you but you have always been her confidant and friend. Hopefully we can arrange to come out for a visit and she can talk to you herself. Well, I need to get this off on a courier to catch up with your EQ bag. Watch yourself.”

I sighed and relaxed, I checked the scan again in the silence. Michelle opened the comm, “Alpha Central we are passing the outer marker.”

“Copy Cowboy’s Dream, slow and drop to one thousand.”

An irregularity caught my attention and I brought the scans to active and locked onto the irregularity. “Passive targeting scan, change countermeasures Tinker.”

When it flashed a missile lock warning, I fired, “Missile lock!”

Tinker cussed, “their using our countermeasures to lock us!”

I switched targeting to a new irregularity as Michelle opened the comm, “Alpha Central, we are being targeted.”

Michelle opened the comm again, “Passing the inner marker.”

I sat back as six Marine ready sting ships lifted ahead of us and went active as they sped towards us on max acceleration. “Cowboy’s Dream this is Marine Dog one. Maintain landing profile, we will take care of the natives.”

I smiled and opened my comm, “Watch your six Marine.”

I continued to watch my display as Michelle slowed and opened her comm, “Alpha Central this is Cowboy’s Dream. Do you have an insystem pad?”

“Take pad one Cowboy’s Dream.”

I changed the magazine for the caltrop as Michelle turned the ship and slowed to a crawl, her hands danced over the readout and fed more power to the anti gravs. As we lowered towards the pad she glanced at Tinker, “Drop the shield.”

She absently lowered the legs just before we began to settle onto the pad. She moved through the shut down sequence smoothly and I shut my readout down before turning to face the rear. “Well?”

Silvia was grinning and Tinker nodded, “It was only a station departure and one short atmosphere flight but I will sign off on a class three.”

I looked at George and he smiled, “You did great Kitten. I will cosign your ticket.”

Brit nodded, “I am not a pilot Kitten but you did good.”

Michelle was blushing and had a radiant smile. I release my seat and stood, “Okay. Tinker, you and Silvia have two days to find some engineer crews and place four more plants in cargo bay three. Tie them into the power grid. George, you and Brit find some cargo personal quarters and lock them down in the cargo bays. Make sure you get two reox generators and two sanitation units. Add a couple of extra water tanks and I guess you can look for class one rations, probable for seventy. I will need the charts beyond the belt out to Gamma Station.”

I looked at Michelle, “You might want to get a change of clothes Kitten.”

She grinned and Silvia and Brit both laughed as I headed towards my quarters. I stopped at the door and looked at Tinker, “See if you can, talk Dancer and Huntress into joining our party.”

Tinker grinned, “You know they are going to give you hell.”

I grinned, “I know, they are going to try to temp Kitten into bed too.”

Tinker and George laughed and Michelle blushed as she opened her door. I looked at the large duffle on my bed and pulled a smaller bag from a storage cabinet. It only took a minute to sort through what I needed. I stepped back out to see Michelle waiting. When we climbed out of the ship, a small group of what looked like senior engineers were talking to Tinker and Silvia at the edge of the pad.

I led Michelle across the huge pad to Tinker, “give Marine Intel a buz and a brief on our ... Dragon Hunters.”

Tinker nodded and I continued to a base door with a young Marine guarding it. He came to parade rest with his assault rifle across his chest, “This is a restricted area sir.”

I checked his uniform and nodded at the neat precise fit, “Input ID Crimson Dragon, Private.”

He blinked and then turned to the pad on the wall. When he looked back it was with a relaxed look, “Thank you sir.”

I nodded, “Stay alert Marine.”

I led a smiling Michelle in and she cleared her throat, “Normally I go in the Cadet wing not the entrance to Marine country.”

I smiled as I led her deeper into the Marines assigned areas. I was watching the Marine emblems and turned in at the recon one. I headed straight for the company showers and Michelle only hesitated before followed me in. I grinned at her, “We will have a private shower next time.”

I set my bag on the bench and began undressing. Michelle was blushing but she undressed and finally stood up straight, “Well?”

I smiled, “You are as beautiful as a dream.”

She grinned and stepped close to caress my chest and then the scars that marred it, “So are you.”

I smiled and grabbed the belt with my Mark V and mono knife. I picked up the small shower bag and headed into the shower. Michelle followed me to a corner where I hung the big pistol on a nearby shower head. I turned the showers on and pulled Michelle under the warm water. Michelle almost purred as I held her and softly caressed her bare back.

We had just finished shampooing our hair when the small group of Marines came in. I shifted closer to the pistol and then relaxed as a Marine came into the showers. He was a little older and almost shouted Senior Sergeant. The rest of them came in and just by the way they moved I knew they were new soldiers or chicks as older soldiers called them.

Michelle was red faced and I was going to ignore them when a loud belligerent one walked towards me, “These are Marine showers civy.”

I glanced from him to the sergeant, “Do not push it chick.”

He growled and reached for my shoulder, “No civy is going...”

I shifted and half turned. My left arm came up inside his and wrapped around before locking. I spun and released him, sliding in as he slammed into the wall. My left hand wrapped around the back of his neck as he staggered back. I slammed him back into the wall and looked at the other Marines as they started moving towards us, “Freeze!”

I slid to his other shoulder, “I was doing this when you were playing in a sand box chick. You fuck with me again and I will teach you all about pain.”

The Senior Sergeant cleared his throat, “Take your showers chicks, you do not have all morning.”

They glared at me as I released the Marine I held, but moved to the far end of the showers. I turned back to a white faced Michelle. I smiled and reached out to gently wash her and after a few moments she calmed down. I finished and let Michelle wash me before we headed out to our bags.

The Marines had already finished and were half dressed as we toweled off. Michelle started to get dressed and I reached in the bag for the soft but tuff under clothing and then the body screen. The Marines had been close to leaving. When they saw the body screen they stopped what they were doing to look at me.

My pants and supple boots were next and then I unrolled the shirt and frowned as two ribbons fell out, “He knows I do not like wearing these.”

The front of the shirt held rows of small medals and ribbons and I sighed as Michelle looked around me, “He probable meant it as a message.”

I grumped as I slipped it on, “I know that Kitten. It is his way of telling me ... never mind Kitten.”

I put the two ribbons on and adjusted the one in the hallow of my throat before carefully placing the second in the center of my chest. I glanced at the shocked faces of the Marines and they snapped to attention. I put my weapon belt on and fastened the legs straps before picking up my beret, “Ready Kitten?”

She smiled, “Waiting for you.”

I slipped on the beret and grabbed the bag, “Carry on Marines.”

It was worse then I remembered, they were not just saluting they were falling all over themselves to come to attention even while walking. I walked into the huge company bay and smiled as I headed straight for first platoon standing in formation. As soon as I walked up they locked to attention and the lieutenant in front turned to see who it was.

Her eyes widen and then she leaped forward and embraced me, “Jason!”

I hugged her and glanced back to see Michelle frowning, “We are on display here George.”

She released me and grinned, “Tuff.”

She glanced at Michelle and then turned to her platoon, “Stand easy!”

She grinned, “Marines, this flashy piece of Dragon is my cousin. I call him Jason, you will address him as sir. If you are smart enough to look, you will see several things different about his uniform. Ignore the Imperial Cross and the Dragon’s Heart. Someone give me an example that might make a chick think it was fake.”

A fair skinned corporal leaned forward, “The flash! It has two borders and one is red.”

I shook my head, “I really do not have time George.”

She glanced at me and raised her eyebrow. I looked around, “Michelle is my primary and we have Indians hunting Dragons.”

She straightened, “What do you need?”

I looked at her platoon, “Your Company. If you would comm your Company Commander and have him join us.”

I grinned as I looked at the corporal that mentioned my flash and then I looked at the whole platoon. “While we wait ... I am Jason Drake, Colonel Jason Drake. As for my flash ... There are only three Dragons alive authorized to wear Crimson on their flash. What else?”

One Marine in second squad cleared her throat, “The color of your drop strips. One is right but the others...”

I smiled as my eyes flicked around the area, “The drop stripes of Dragons differ depending on the company we drop in or engage an enemy in.”

“But...”

I grinned, “The first stripe was as a chick in what was supposed to be a show of force. The blood red one was my first engagement in Crimson Company. As you know drop strips are displayed only by enlisted unless the officer first served as enlisted. The rest differ slightly because I was directed by Emperor Tenison to accept a field commission and became an officer. I dropped or engage with both gold and silver regiments after that, in many companies.”

A short private in first squad leaned forward, “The color on the Dragon’s Heart ribbon is wrong.”

I touched the ribbon in question, turning as a Captain and Lieutenant approached, “The blue speckled ribbon is called Dragon’s Honor. I am a living holder of the Dragon’s Honor which means at some point I took command of the Dragon regiments without being the commander.”

The Captain stopped and George saluted him, “Sir, this is Colonel Drake.”

She glanced at me, “Jason, this is Captain Olivia.”

I smiled, “I have a mission for Recon, Captain. First, I need a squad for a couple of days doing close support. Second, I need you to deploy your Company to protect Duke Grey and his family. This is now a Dragon priority. This system is about to get crowded. You and your Company will protect the Duke until relieved by Silver Dragons. I will be relieving some of the senior officers in this system as a precaution. You are now an independent command until relieved and report only to me. Any questions?”

He had been listening closely, “If you want us, then you expect trouble.”

I nodded and glanced at Michelle, “The heir has had three covert attempts made and since she has been with me there have been several straight out attacks. Do not under estimate them. On our approach to Saras we had three warships make an attempt.”

He nodded, “Support?”

I thought about it, “Take it with you and anyone you even think is acting wrong you truth scan.”

He nodded and looked at the Lieutenant that had come with him, “Put the Company on alert. Tell the Top Sergeant we need immediate supplies for thirty days including our sting ships out of storage. We will need transport for the rest of the Company as well support staff. I will brief the platoon leaders in ten.”

He looked at George, “Give him one of your squads and then have your people start packing.”

He nodded to me and turned to walk calmly toward the Company CQ. I embraced George, “You be careful, trust your people and suspect everyone else.”

I let her go and looked at her platoon, “Which is your best.”

George grinned, “Third squad fall out and go with Jason.”

I nodded, “Watch your backs Marines and do not take any shit.”

I nodded to George and looked at the Junior Sergeant leading third squad, “Right now I just need your alpha team but everyone needs their weapons. Do not worry about packs, just combat gear. Have them stand to outside the Fleet Commanders office in five.”

I turned a smile on Michelle before looking back at George, “By the way. Kitten here has told me that I am going to marry her.”

My cousin looked at me and then at a blushing Michelle with a grin, “Good for her. Do not take any guff Kitten.”

I led Michelle away and down a busy corridor. I almost decided to use an express elevator but moved past it to a freight slide instead. Michelle moved close, “She looked ... competent.”

I laughed, “She does not know it but if Albert knows about her field promotion she is being looked at for recruitment into the Dragons.”

Michelle grinned, “She did not look like she was in awe of you.”

I grinned as I steered her off the slide, “That is because she lived in base housing on Prime and saw me enough to know me as well as Molly and her children.”

I turned into the wide hallway heading to the Fleet command center. There were two Petty Officers with sidearms beside the door as we approached. They actually looked at each other and stepped out to stop me. “This is a restricted area, Fleet personal only.”

I looked at both of them, “Do you recognize my uniform Petty Officers?”

They looked at each other and I shook my head, “I am Colonel Drake of the Imperial Dragons.”

Their expression was humorous and Michelle stifled a laugh from behind me. I sighed, “Input ID Crimson Dragon.”

The older looking of the two turned to put it in and blinked, “You are cleared to go in sir.”

I nodded as the other Petty Officer opened the door. We walked in to organized chaos. I looked around and headed around to a wood paneled corner. A Senior Chief Petty officer sat at a desk beside a wood panel door. I did not even pause as I headed towards the door. He stood at my approach, “Colonel Drake?”

I looked at him surprised, “You know me Senior Chief?”

He grinned, “I was on your mother’s ship for a year as an auxiliary.”

I smiled, “How long have you been stuck on the ground?”

He grimaced, “Too long sir.”

I nodded to the door, “What do you think of Admiral Thomas?”

He looked at the door, “He is good. He has been going crazy for the last couple of months. Someone has been diverting supplies and your reports of unregistered warships has him ready to shoot someone.”

I smiled and glanced at Michelle, “Senior Chief this is Ms Grey.”

He grinned, “I know. Scuttlebutt says she is going to marry you.”

I shook my head as Michelle laughed. “You must have a bug on my ship.”

He laughed, “You know how scuttlebutt works sir.”

He glanced at the door, “If you are looking for termites look a little lower. Admiral Jones is a good reminder. A lot of the officers Fleet had doubts about but passed truth scans got sent here.”

My eyes narrowed as I thought of the recent system revolt by fleet officers, “Scandia?”

He nodded, “We are also getting a lot of suddenly blank areas in the system scans.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.