Emperor's Bodyguard - Cover

Emperor's Bodyguard

Copyright© 2020 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 10: The passing of an Emperor

I watched young Constance as she slowly circled me. She had a serious look on her face and the other Dragons in the Salle knew better than smile. Molly was mopping the sweat from her face as she stood with Samuel, Huntress and Dancer. Constance suddenly kicked and I turned and brushed it up.

She was already turning as her other foot left the ground, her body rolling and then her other foot lashed out. I slid back, grasping her foot and twisting before releasing it. Constance hit the mat hard and rolled to her feet. She slid straight in and did a front kick that was a faint and then spun.

Her back fist came at me and I swayed back dropping to the mat to kick her feet out from under her before rolling back to my own feet. Constance came off the ground angrily and I slid in. The fist she punched at me was grabbed twisted and turned to lock her arm. “Stop!”

Constance stopped moving and I released her, “How many times do I have to tell you. If you get angry or let emotion take control, you lose. You are to aggressive. Look at your size. Use your opponent’s force to beat him. Patient’s Pet, if you wait they will move and you will have them.”

She nodded and moved into her stance. I kicked out suddenly and her hand swept up. My foot went up and then she kicked into the thigh of my other leg. I hit the mat and continued to roll. I came to my feet as Constance drifted closer. A chime sounded and I stepped back. I looked at the door and Captain David stepped in.

He looked grim and I straightened, “What is it?”

He glanced at Molly and I nodded before looking at Constance, “Get cleaned up.”

She grinned and bowed before turning to Molly. Molly smiled, “You two have classes, go wash.”

She waited until the small crowd disappeared with her two children. She looked at Captain David, “What is it?”

He smiled sadly, “Albert was just informed by his father’s doctor that he does not have long.”

Molly sighed, “Damn wasting disease. Has he started the pain meds?”

The captain nodded, “Albert will be beginning the vigil.”

Molly nodded, “I will bring the children.”

She looked at me as I started for the door, “Jason?”

I stopped and looked at her, “They are not Drakes Molly. We expect death, Albert pretends he is not close to his father but he is. Prepare Samuel and Constance.”

I left and walked swiftly to my quarter’s opening my comm to Colonel Hibson, “How long do we have Helen.”

She sighed over the comm, “The doc thinks maybe hours.”

I turned at my room and palmed the lock. “Have you alerted Silver?”

“Of course.”

I began stripping as I crossed the room, “I will get with Captain Michael and go over the viewing schedule.”

“I have the fleet commander and the Marine Commandant on their way.”

I nodded as I stepped into the shower, “Give me ten minutes.”

The comm was disconnected as I began washing. Ten minutes later I was walking into Emperor Tenison’s hospital room here in the palace. Angelina was sitting beside his bed holding his hand and Albert was on the other side. Albert looked at me and then nodded to the other Dragons in the room. I gestured and all four quietly left as I took up position beside the door.

It was a few minutes before Molly, Samuel and Constance came in. Their guards looked at me and quietly left. Ten minutes later Molly stood and took the children with her. I had Colonel Hibson whispering in my ear and cleared my throat. Angelina and Albert both looked at me, “The Dragons wish to say goodbye.”

Albert nodded as Angelina smiled sadly. I keyed my comm, “Albert said it would be okay.”

The next couple of hours were spent with one Dragon after another stepping in and going to the bedside to whisper their goodbyes. I was able to speak quietly with Captain Michael, the Gold dragon commander about the viewing schedule. After the last Dragon left and it was just Albert, Angelina and I.

Tenison whispered quietly and Albert looked at me, “He wants to speak with you.”

I moved to the bed and leaned down, “Sir?”

Tenison’s voice was strained, “I want to thank you Jason. You are a good and loyal man to the Empire. Protect my family when I am gone.”

I smiled, “I will sire.”

He smiled and looked at Albert, “Your chick still watches out for you.”

I moved back as Albert smiled at his father. I glanced at the readout above the bed and opened my comm, “Bring Molly and the kids back in.”

It was quiet but Albert looked up at me and then at the display. He bit his lip but did not say anything. A minute later Molly, Samuel and Constance came in with the fleet doctor. He took one glance and moved to the side of the bed. He looked at Tenison and shook his head before stepping back. Ten minutes later Emperor Tenison died.

I finally moved forward and began moving everyone but the doctor out of the room. I called the six Dragons that had volunteered to stand watch over Tenison’s body. I walked out and headed to Colonel Hibson’s office. I walked in to see both the Fleet Commander and the Marine Commandant.

I nodded to the Colonel and she sighed as she reached to the intercom, “David? Notify the news agencies that Emperor Tenison has died.”

She closed the intercom and looked at the two men, “Operation Grieving is in affect. We only have five days.”

They nodded and stood. They both nodded to me on their way out and Striker sat back with a sigh, “We still have those damn rumors Jason.”

I moved to sit across from her, “Has Dragon Intel found anything?”

She nodded, “They confirmed the breach and two of Tenison’s guards have come down with symptoms.”

I shook my head, “I can not believe our bio sensors were not programmed for this disease.”

She grimaced, “it is now, but what worries me is that they did a test run using Tenison.”

I nodded, “They were confident that they could do it again.”

Colonel Hibson frowned and nodded. “Any idea when they will try again?”

I thought about it and sighed, “During the four days of review.”

She nodded and sat back, “We need oxy tanks and full spectrum bio sensors.”

I nodded, “Minimize Molly and the children’s exposure times as well.”

The Colonel nodded, “I scheduled dual shifts with Silver. The fleet Commander and the Marine Commandant are also putting their best men on the watch list.”

I stood and turned towards the door, “Add extra cameras in the approach and viewing area too.”

I left and headed towards the Imperial suite. I knocked and stepped in to see Molly holding Albert. I gestured to Henry and he nodded before slipping out. I settled back against the side of the door and finally Albert stepped back. He was a little red in the face but I waved it off with my hand, “We need to talk.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.