One Last Job With Vengeance - Cover

One Last Job With Vengeance

Copyright© 2015 by Daniel James

Chapter 45

Life as a hermit was not what Dan had expected for the last three years but it was necessary. The minimal human contact, always moving mainly at night and the restless nights in the now dilapidated caravan, was only made bearable by the wildlife that shared the silence of the night. It had taken nearly two years for him to gain the foxes trust and tonight, as most nights, he was sitting on the small metal step outside the caravan. The badgers that came close, seemingly unafraid of anything, were easily pleased with marmite or peanut butter sandwiches, but it was seeing the fox and cubs that gave him most pleasure.

Thinking back to the first encounter with a fox made him chuckle. A bat wielding maniac kicking open the door, he was surprised that they ever came close again. Time is a healer they say and he, and the foxes, had plenty of that. Like a horn through thick fog, the cackle of their calls in the distant blackness flowed on the wind.

Watching the shadows move silently through the hypnotically swaying bushes and with fresh chicken pieces in hand, he waits motionless. The sleek shadowy figures move ever closer. Their noses raised following the scent of a promise of a meal, and then one, a little cub, comes within stroking distance. Standing as still as a statue, stretching its neck, the cub's nose touches the prized meal.

Is this going to be the night Dan wonders? After so long, waiting in the cold nights chilled to the bone, he would be able to hand feed a wild fox by hand. Opening its mouth to snatch the food, showing its perfectly designed meat devouring teeth, it snaps shut. On full alert, with both ears shot skywards, the bundle of fur turns and bolts and disappears into the safety of the darkness as Dan's mobile rings.

"Bollocks" he shouts "Bloody typical"

Grabbing his phone with a vice-like strangle hold, wishing it were the persons neck on the other end of the line, he paws blindly for the answer button.

"What?" he shouts down the line

"Ooh someone's tired," the mystery voice said sarcastically

Dan was in no mood for sarcasm and it was apparent in his voice.

"Look mystery man or shadow man, whatever you want to be called, you have just ruined the only pleasure I have in this God forsaken place"

"Oi calm down. I don't know what your pleasure is, wine women or song, but mine is making sure that bastard Saim gets what's coming"

"Yeah fair point, I gather you have not called for a social chat so what do you want?" Dan snaps bluntly

"I just want let you know what's been happening with me and an update from your end"

"Go on then give me your exciting news that could not wait"

"I've been on an excursion following two of Pat D's cronies. They made a social call to what I gather are three of Saim's buyers. By the look of the places, they are big buyers too. I don't know what happened, time will tell I guess, but they came out looking happy with themselves. It possibly looks like Pat D is muscling in and taking over the business. This means that Saim is definitely no longer in favour with Pat" relayed the mystery man

"If he is going after the business then he means to hit him in the pocket rather than manpower, which suits me fine. If his drug empire is bled dry then he will have to ramp up his other sordid ventures."

"By sordid ventures you mean girls. How are we going to make that fail?" enquires the mystery man.

"That's the next part of the plan and I have that sorted already. As we speak, there is a girl who is being made ready and briefed to hit him from the inside"

"She must be very brave or very stupid. I hope it's not anybody close. You know what he will do to her if he even gets one whiff that something is not right," he states sounding concerned

"No it's no-one close. I know you have watched Bern a few times and I would not put her in that situation if that's what you're thinking" Dan reassures.

The voice felt the sense of relief wash over him. He knew Dan loved Bern but, in the mind state he was in, he was not sure whom he would put in harm's way to get the results he wanted.

"I've watched Bern to make sure she is safe, that's all. When is this woman going in?"

"I'm not sure yet but I will find out and let you know"

"You do that and don't forget, this is your deal but I am here if you need me"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.