Guardian Awakening - Cover

Guardian Awakening

Copyright© 2014 by C. Osborne Rapley

Chapter 4: Exeter

Tristan turned a key then pushed a large green button. A cranking noise followed by a loud roar filled the cabin. Aesia grabbed her seat tightly as the noise subsided to a steady rumble. Tristan pushed a long vibrating leaver forward with a loud crunch. Aesia gasped as the vehicle lurched forward, bumping over Tristan's pot holed drive then out to the long dirt track that ran in front of his house.

After about half a mile they reached a small narrow lane. Aesia sat in silence, she found it almost impossible to believe such a machine existed. Once they had driven onto the lane, the lurching and bouncing abated a little. She turned to Tristan and shouted above the rattling roar of the engine. "How does this machine work?"

Tristan smiled, lent forward and patted an odd green console containing two simple round dials. "This is not just a machine, this is a Series II Land Rover. Her name is Dahlia, my trusty steed."

Aesia regarded him for a moment and shook her head. "This is a rudimentary, noisy, and primitive machine how can it be a trusty steed?"

Tristan laughed.

"Why do you laugh?"

Tristan glanced at her. "So you know about laughter?"

Aesia nodded. "Yes." She paused and took a breath. "I will ask again. How does this machine work?"

"OK, this machine ... Dahlia, is powered by an internal combustion engine." He tried to explain to her how the engine functioned. Her translation computer had some difficulty with the concepts, and Tristan was not convinced she understood.

"Why do you name this vehicle?"

"Well, because she is cantankerous, awkward, and often fails to start, but I love her." He patted the console in front of him again gently. "Dahlia, meet Aesia."

Aesia raised an eyebrow, shook her head, then turned and watched the road ahead, muttering under her breath.

They passed through the village of Holne, then Buckfast, before joining the main road to Exeter.

Tristan drove into the town centre and parked in one of the main car parks.

They sat for a moment in the silence. Aesia sighed. "The country we went through reminded me of my home."

"Do you get home often?"

She shook her head. "No, it will be many years before I can go home."

She released the seatbelt and pulled the door catch. Tristan shrugged, got out and slammed the door. He walked round to help her, but she had already stepped out. She stood waiting for him and didn't flinch while he checked her hat and sunglasses.

"Right, you'll do. Come on."

She followed him down a side road then along the street to the main shopping centre. They stepped out into a large wide precinct with shops either side. There were people everywhere hurrying about their business, children running, mothers with pushchairs loaded with shopping, couples wandering arm in arm; a whole cross section of a normal busy British city.

Aesia stopped dead and gasped. "I have never seen anything like this before!"

Tristan smiled. "OK, this way." He led her past the shops to a large department store. Progress was slow because she wanted to examine each shop window in turn. Tristan smiled to himself. What is it with women and shopping? She came from a completely different planet, and yet he might just as well have been with Sarah. They had drawn level with the main entrance of a large store when an ambulance drove past and started its siren as it drew level with them. Aesia jumped and involuntarily clutched at Tristan's arm. After the vehicle had passed, she pulled away, her face flushed.

Tristan smiled at her.

She clenched her fists by her sides and glared back. "I should like to go into this shop..." Tristan coughed. "Please." She added hastily.

"I know of one where they have private cubicles so you can try things on if you want to. You should think of some sensible clothes. The ones you have on are too big." She looked down at herself and nodded.

Tristan led her to the one shop he remembered had the separate changing rooms, with a member of staff by a counter at the end of the cubicles. She could choose what she wanted and try them on without being seen by anyone. First, she chose some jeans and blouses; the pile at the counter quickly grew. Once she had chosen what she wanted Tristan paid. She changed into the new clothes, and they left the store.

"Well you certainly gave my card a bashing."

"Card?"

"Yes, my credit card - how we pay for goods we buy"

"Oh." She caught Tristan looking at her and forced a smile. They passed several restaurants where people sat at tables eating. "I'm getting hungry, Tristan."

"OK what do you like to eat?"

"I don't care. Anything."

"Right, I know just the place."

She nodded and said nothing. Tristan took her hand. "This way." Her skin tingled at his touch. She pulled her hand away.

Tristan shrugged. "Sorry."

He had chosen a small restaurant with private tables between high backed benches. He led her to the back, where the low light would hide them. Tristan thought it safe for Aesia to remove her sunglasses. The waitress sauntered over with only a cursory glance at Aesia; she asked what she could get them. Tristan chose, hoping Aesia would like it.

She sat quietly watching. Once the waitress had delivered the meal she inspected the food, tasting everything in turn, including what was on Tristan's plate.

When she had finished, Aesia wanted to explore further. They spent nearly all day in the town, with only one old lady remarking on Aesia's skin colour and were did she come from. Tristan told the lady that she originated from Finland. The old lady walked away satisfied. Once dusk began to fall the younger night-time revellers started to fill the town centre.

"Right, it's time we left."

Aesia frowned. "Why?"

"Because time is getting on and I don't want to push our luck too far."

She took one last look around the crowded square, then with a shrug said, "all right, let's go."

They started for the car park. Aesia, satisfied with how the day had gone, found it an effort not to skip back to the car. She had deliberately been pleasant to him all day, although he sometimes became far too familiar. Still, she had made sure the clothes she had chosen showed off her figure. She had even moved close to him at times and allowed eye contact. She turned and smiled at Tristan, confident her brilliant plan to control him would soon be complete.

As they walked back to the car, Tristan stopped to tie one of his laces. After ensuring both laces were tight, Tristan looked up and sighed; she had continued walking and had drawn level with a group of youths hanging around outside a small fish and chip shop. One of the youths whistled and gestured at her. A normal person would have walked on by, ignoring them. Aesia stopped, dropped the shopping, and turned towards the speaker clenching her fists.

"Oh for God's sake!" Tristan started to run to her but too late she lashed out. The youth never had a chance, he was flat on his back. The group stood stunned for a moment, looking from the slim girl to the winded lout on the pavement.

Tristan skidded to a halt beside Aesia as, shouting obscenities, the youths threw themselves at them. A flash of silver and Tristan felt his heart miss a beat, they had knives! No longer a brawl; they were fighting for their lives.

Tristan sidestepped as two of them lunged at him simultaneously. He dropped slightly and with a swinging kick, sent one of them flying. The other twisted away then swung forward. Tristan caught his wrist, avoiding the lunging blade and twisted; he felt the snap as his opponent screamed, his shoulder dislocated.

He stood to the left and behind Aesia. He glanced round as one burly youth made a lunge at her back with a knife, as she dealt with another. Tristan, wrong footed had no option but to throw himself forward. He felt burning pain in his right side as he jabbed the youth with a chop across his neck. The youth gasped and coughed. The ones left standing turned and ran.

"You all right, mate?"

A large fat man in a greasy apron stood at the door of the Chippy.

Tristan nodded. "Yes, OK."

"They're nothin' but a bloody nuance them kids hanging round 'ere all the time, 'bout time someone saw 'em off. Your girlfriend here can sure move fast." He smiled. "Thanks by the way. I'll phone the cops; they can deal with them. Better get along." He turned back to his shop.

Tristan reached down and pulled the knife out. He gritted his teeth against the fire in his side; he did not want to show he had been injured.

Aesia stood looking up the street at the backs of the fleeing youths. She turned to finish off the remaining ones groaning in the gutter.

Tristan realised what she intended to do and grabbed her hand. As she tried to pull away from his grasp, he shouted at her. "Come on, leave them, we must run before the police arrive."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.