Return to Eden - Cover

Return to Eden

Copyright© 2014 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 9

The dialogue between ship and planet continued sporadically as the Gardener made its final approach and took up geosynchronous orbit over the Centerville settlement. Smog still permeated the Eden skies in that area, but brief clearings allowed the humans to see that considerable further development had occurred on the land below them. There were now actually recognizable roads linking the structures—probably, Igwanda speculated, needed to accommodate the natives' newfound use of wheeled vehicles transferring cargo more efficiently than had ever before been possible.

"Zo's teaching has given them much," he pointed out to Meiersdottir during a rare period of relative atmospheric clarity. She smiled and nodded.

Their talks, always through Joe or very occasionally one other whom they quickly dubbed Joetwo, had been extremely cordial, especially on the natives' part. It was clear that the Edenite collective was pleased indeed that the humans had returned as promised, and were as eager as Joe had said to re-commence relations.

Which seemed, however, to sit poorly with Miller. His vociferously expressed view was that at least the initial landing, as before, needed to be led by the military and should include, if any at all, few civilians.

Bearing her husband's warnings about the major's inclinations and attitudes very much in mind, Meiersdottir convened a meeting between them with Igwanda at her side and Shaw, whom she wisely also invited, presiding.

"Dr. Meierdottir, I really don't see the reason for this," Miller began. "I think our charter is really quite clear, it gives me—well, it gives the military—command until and unless it's established that there's no danger. And I have to tell you that hasn't been established yet, not to my satisfaction."

"And I'm truly sorry you don't feel that way," responded Meiersdottir smoothly. "But, I'm also sorry to have to point out, it isn't just your satisfaction with which we need be concerned. I think the deciding vote is with our ship's captain, isn't it?"

"Well, yes," blustered Miller. "Even so, Mr. Shaw"—Why on Earth, Igwanda wondered, is he so grudging in his acknowledgment of others' ranks?—"I should think you'd have to agree that we've had no experience at all with our reception on this visit. And you'll recall that the first two times we arrived at this planet"—He will not even call the planet itself by its name, Igwan­da's thought continued—"the aliens showed themselves as implacably hostile. I think there can't be any reasonable question that we need to treat the planet as a danger zone, completely off-limits to civilians until we've secured it and eliminated any potential threat."

Waiting courteously until it was clear the military commander was finished, Shaw turned to Meiersdottir. "Amanda?"

She was staring at Miller in disbelief. Her husband had warned her, but still...

"Maj. Miller, surely you can't be serious," she expostulated. "Haven't you reviewed the records of our last visit? Haven't you been hearing the welcome we've already been extended over the communicator?" She turned to Shaw. "Bernard, I'm sorry but I think we need to get this settled now about who's in command under our charter."

The outcome wasn't in any real doubt; Meiersdottir had been careful to privately sound out Shaw before risking this direct confrontation and had been assured of his support.

"You are, Amanda," he said firmly. "I'm sorry, Maj. Miller, but I completely fail to see the peril you're postulating. You didn't have the advantage of being part of our last visit here as Amanda and Carlos and I were, and the communications we've received indicate that nothing has changed significantly since then. This is primarily a scientific mission, and I will take direction from the scientists until and unless something occurs that I believe poses a threat. Dr. Mei­ersdottir is their elected leader, and the decision-making is in her hands for the moment."

"And my decision is that we're among friends and we'll treat them as friends," Meiersdottir picked up before Miller could speak. "It will be a landing of scientists, not of soldiers."

"Mr. Shaw, I must protest!" exclaimed Miller. His voice took on a venomous undertone. "As I recall the records of the first mission here, you didn't see any threat then, either."

Shaw nodded without embarrassment. "Quite true, Maj. Miller, and I was wrong. I don't think I am this time, though, would you agree, Carlos?"

"Mr. Igwanda is not in military command here, Mr. Shaw, I am," snapped Miller. Igwan­da just shook his head slightly. Still "mister," for both of us, he thought. Can the man not see that he shoots himself in the foot each time he utters the word?

"Even so, Maj. Miller, Carlos is senior military adviser even on this voyage, he was here for the first mission, and I value his input," Shaw said firmly. "Carlos, do you agree with my ruling?"

"Yes, I do," said Igwanda. He turned to Miller. "Maj. Miller, the circumstances of the two visits are not the same, not at all. On the previous occasion we were venturing into unknown territory to meet a species that had caused grievous injury in its only prior interaction with humans. Despite an initial ... misunderstanding, the two species have since become friends. This time we return to a known situation in which that status clearly still prevails."

"And it's a friendship that we don't want to needlessly place at risk," added Meiersdottir. "Our relations with the Edenites are still at a fairly delicate stage, and it's my opinion—our opinion, my fellow scientists and myself—that our return must openly display the level of friendship we've established. Even an initial showing of distrust, a presentation of armed might, could well put the entire relationship in jeopardy."

"Tweedledum and Tweedledee," growled Miller. "You two sure hum the same tune real good." He turned to Shaw. "Mr. Shaw, I still think you're recklessly exposing your supercargo to dangers. I want my view noted in the ship's log," he added in what was clearly an effort to intimidate; the log was the official record of the voyage and would, on their return, be reviewed critically for mistakes—anyone's mistakes, including especially those of the ship's captain.

"I'll log it, you're welcome to verify," said Shaw wearily. "But my ruling stands. Lady and gentlemen, if there's nothing else I think my role here is done; I'll let you sort out the details from here." He clearly found the entire contretemps distasteful and had no desire to prolong his involvement.

"All right, doctor, you won that one," Miller said in a resentful tone as soon as he'd left. And so she always will, not only this one but any others if others there be in the future, Igwanda thought. She exceeds your capacity by a margin greater than you can even comprehend.

"So if you're in charge, set it up for me," Miller was continuing. "Just scientists, no military at all?"

"Well, I will be in the landing party, of course—" began Igwanda.

"And just why is that?" interrupted Miller. "Oh, yeah, that's right, you're married to the boss, aren't you?" he went on snidely. "But you don't qualify as military, do you, Mr. Igwanda. So is it to be just civilians on the ground?"

Meiersdottir started to respond, but Igwanda held up a hand to forestall her. "Maj. Miller, this has gone on long enough. You clearly have a rather strong resentment toward me, and it is beginning to interfere with both the scientific and the military missions as well as to fray at my nerves. May I ask you to explain?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.