Who Am I? - Cover

Who Am I?

 

Chapter 2

That was enough to wake me up and keep me awake. I heard nothing else, but that rattled me to my core. I wasn't especially religious. When I was young we all went to church together, mostly at a Catholic church. I didn't know what or whom I believed in. Maybe it was time to find out?

I got up; called into work saying I didn't feel well, which was the truth. Funny how you perceive the truth, justifying what you do or are about to do as easily as deciding what underwear you are going to put on each morning.

With this money, I may just quit my job. That's a knee jerk reaction, I know, but doing anything seems more important than working does.

I headed off to the bank, and found Martha waiting for me. We shook hands and I sat down.

"Christos, I had a friend do a carbon dating on the coin and besides being 100% pure gold, it is approximately 2,040 years old. That doesn't add to the intrinsic value, but it does bring up the question 'Where did it come from?'"

"Is it valid as is gold mined these days?" I asked.

"Yes, of course. How much of it do you have exactly?"

I was a little sensitive to let this information out. "Let me show you, if you don't mind."

"Certainly," she said giving me back the coin I loaned her.

I went to the safe deposit desk and Martha took over leading me into the vault. We turned our keys and I carried the box out hearing a rattle inside. I opened it and besides the lock on the box being secure, there was a single loose coin in the deposit box. I know I closed it the other day. She saw the coin and asked, "Is this all you have?"

I opened the keyed box and it was as full as the other day. Martha looked astonished. "Do you know how much there is in here?"

"Not really. I thought it weighed about 40 pounds, but I don't have an exact idea."

"Forty pounds at today's rate is..."

"Almost $750 thousand dollars," I said finishing her remark. In front of her I put the single loose coin in the box.

"We need an assayer," she said. "It's worth much more than the current price of gold given its age."

"Do you know one?" I asked.

"Yes, a close friend that I can trust. We need to know exactly how many of these coins there are. Let me get an armed guard."

Before I could say anything, we were led out by the two armed guards. The one even had his gun out of its holster. We were all taken to a more secure part of the bank where we watched two gloved employees weighing and sorting out the coins.

Martha's friend arrived ... they hugged and she put on gloves as well. She was as astounded by the quantity and quality of the coins. They talked in whispers as I watched everyone taking such care in what they were doing.

An hour later, we were told that there was 44.665 pounds of gold. That, along with the age, make its value over a million dollars. I practically fainted as I heard that number.

"Mr. Ben Heli, while we would love to keep this money in our vault, what do you wish to do with it?" Martha asked.

Stressed about all of this, "For now, I would like to keep it here if that is all right with everyone."

"Back in your safe deposit box it is," Martha said. The coins were all put back inside the lockable box and I was given the key. The guards, Martha and I all went back and they moved it to a larger box for me at no additional charge. They gave ne a new entry key. The loose coin stilled bothered me, but I wasn't sure why.

I took a bold moment and asked Martha if she would join me for dinner. She smiled and agreed telling me when she was off work for the day.

Mom would be proud of me.


She had given me her address and I showed up when asked. I got out and knocked on the door.

"Hello Christos," she said opening the door. "Come in, I'll just be a minute."

I did closing the door behind me. The place was lovely. Obviously decorated by a woman with great taste. I walked around seeing her diplomas and pictures on the walls.

"OK ... I'm ready," I heard behind me.

The blonde with her hair up and glasses at the bank now had her hair down and no glasses in sight.

"Wow, what a difference," I said.

"I play down how I look to avoid being hit on all day. I don't usually date bank customers, but you seem ... different. I don't mean that how it might have sounded. Sorry?"

I offered my arm, took her to my car and we left.

"Where are we going?"

"I didn't have anyplace in mind. Do you have a preference?"

"How about The Airliner?"

"On South Clinton. I've been there a lot in my youth just not lately," I said turning around to get to East Burlington Street before I made the turn north on Clinton. We were there in only about 10 minutes. Iowa City, Iowa is only 12 miles wide from west to east.

I parked the car and rushed around to open her door for her. She smiled as I locked the car and we went inside.

We were seated and given menus. "Do you want a glass of wine?" we were asked.

I covered my glass saying, "I don't drink, how about an iced tea?"

"I'll take the same," my date said.

"You don't have to on my account," I said to her.

"I've been meaning to give up alcohol. Tonight would be a good night to start," she said with a sly smile.

"To be completely honest. It has been a very long time since I've been out on a date. Tell me if I do anything stupid," I said to her.

"You are doing just fine Christos. Don't be nervous."

The rest of the evening went much better than I had expected. After I took her home, I could see she wanted a kiss. I didn't feel the right to do that quite yet, but I did give her a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug.

"Can we do this all again real soon?" she asked. "I had a wonderful time."

"So did I ... I promise I'll call you in a few days Martha. Goodnight."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.