A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time - Cover

A Glimpse Through the Mist of Time

Copyright© 2013 by Texrep

Chapter 16

Drummond walked along with Bella holding the rein until we were some fifty yards from the summit. She dropped the rein and the horse stopped and watched Bella for a moment and then put his head down and started to graze. We walked on and found a path through the brambles eventually arriving where I had once noted the granite setts. Of course they were no longer here. We strolled casually for a while. Our conversation was desultory commentating on what had been and was the fire that destroyed the house was accidental or arson. I had been thinking about this for some time and believed that it was arson. "From what I understand the house was closed up and nobody lived there. Being built in the early eighteen hundreds it wouldn't have gas nor, of course, electricity. I doubt that it was caused by any natural phenomenon. Perhaps a vagrant had got in and he set the fire."

Bella seemed of the same opinion although she had another theory. "Arabella in her diary says that Dashwood's wife, Adelaide hated the house. You know what they say about a woman scorned. I wouldn't be surprised if she had the place torched as a sort of expiation for all the hurt she suffered when she lived there."

"I know she and Robert were living with her father in Braintree at the time. Perhaps it was Robert who did it. After all he didn't have much reason to like the place."

Bella looked surprised. "Arabella didn't know that. I mean she never mentioned where Adelaide had gone. Robert was her illegitimate son wasn't he?"

"Yes. My great grandfather." We walked on for a while. "It's funny how the Swinsons and the Chandler's history is entwined."

"Hmm." Bella was smiling devilishly. "I like that thought, Swinson and Chandler entwined. Yes. We owe it to fate and get a Swinson entwined with a Chandler again ... Soon."

"I think, Miss Swinson that you are twisting the words for your own ends."

"Perhaps, Mr. Chandler. Are you set against that?"

"On no. Bella. Not at all."

"Good."

We returned to where Drummond was busily cropping grass. I was surprised that he had had stayed near to where Bella had dropped the reins. Bella thought she should go. "Any longer and he will cool down too much." She turned to me. "I hope I didn't spend too much of your money."

"Don't worry. Tina said you had a good eye for things. I have no doubt that I will like everything you have chosen." I put my arm around her waist and pulled her too me. "Shall I see you soon."

"I am sure." She raised her face. I dipped mine and our lips came together. This was a different kind of kiss. She pressed her body against mine, not teasingly but a need to be close, to feel the oneness of a man and a woman who knew that soon they would be together in a more intimate embrace. We were disturbed by Drummond snuffling at us trying to prise us apart. "Oh Drummond." Bella cried. "I love you, but you have a poor sense of occasion." Drummond didn't care. Bella gave me a another quick kiss. "That was the best yet, Daniel. If your kisses get any better, I shall swoon and be unable to protect my honour ... Hopefully."

I laughed. "Get along you hussy."

"Your hussy, Daniel. Now give me a lift into the saddle, please?" She made a knee, I gripped her shin and lifted her up into the saddle. She gathered the reins in her left hand and the right hand came down and caressed my cheek. "I can't wait." Then she was off. Her last words were oblique leaving me the problem of deciphering her meaning.

As Bella and Daniel went the different ways a voice out of nowhere disturbed the tranquillity of the hillock. "So she is my grand-niece. She rides well. And he is the image of you, Danbury."

"So I have been told. I do not know why though, as he is a descendant of Robert."

"I suppose these things happen, who knows why, after all you have no likeness to your father."

"That I do not have his character is something that I give thanks to Our Lord."

I interrupted Aleksy just as he was sweeping the floor of the morning room. The sanding had created lots of dust, the majority being vacuumed into the machines' dust-bag. He was still wearing the mask as there was still a lot of dust in the air. He indicated that he would see me outside. He took a big breath when he joined me on the veranda. "How did it go?" I enquired.

"Good, Boss. Wipe down with white spirit and then when dry, stain. Will look very good."

"Tina told me that the boards were solid oak. That was very extravagant."

"Not only solid oak, it was heart-wood. Closest grain, very strong. Same with structure, bricks best quality and the mortar is even stronger than bricks. No wonder the house resisted decay."

"And no wonder the Chandlers ran out of money." That didn't mean anything to Aleksy. "How long before I can move in?"

Aleksy thought for a while. I could see him mentally ticking off various points. "Two weeks, Boss. Come, I can show you what we have done."

The dust had cleared enough for us to walk around without sneezing. The staircase was excellent. To my mind the main stair was wider than the original. Aleksy explained that buying the stair 'off the peg' so to speak meant that he had to make a choice between a string that was actually narrower than the original or slightly wider. Gustaw had made a very good job of fitting the stair into the balustrade of the first floor, and the half-landing looked as if it was always part of the stair. The tiles on the floor of the foyer were perfect. The black grouting, about which I was dubious was exactly what it needed. As we walked around my house I gradually became ever more excited. Hitherto I had been unable to visualize the house when it was completely restored, except for small details. Now it had come all together and every part seemed to compliment every other detail of the restoration. My mind kept seeing my home, and I had to keep reminding myself that actually my company owned it, I was merely the lodger. "You said two weeks, Aleksy, but to my eyes it looks complete."

"Need time for systems to settle down, get heat gradually into the walls, and see what expands or contracts. Fiddling stuff, but I don't want you complaining later."

"Tina wouldn't let me."

He laughed. "Is true. But what would she say to me?"

I joined in his laughter. "I could imagine. Ok, Aleksy, I will not be up again until you say it's ready. You have done a good job. I didn't think it could look as good as this."

"Thanks, Boss. I will let Tina know when I think we have covered all the snagging."

I had not planned to spend the weekend, so I drove back to Bethnal Green. Having driven this journey often now, I relaxed a little and in my mind started thinking things through. It was Bella that occupied my thoughts and what I should do. She was very attractive to me; the criteria of beauty has a norm yet the individual man's view varies from that norm. Bella was lithe, presumably because of her riding so frequently; she didn't have much of a bust, something that many men would regard as important. I would not describe her face as beautiful, yet she had a character that enlivened that face, the twinkle in her eyes and the smile made me want to look at her all day. I liked her quick wit and her boldness. Yes, I liked her for all these qualities and for the fact that she liked me. I was certain that soon we would be lovers; I couldn't ignore the broad hints that she dropped. That was another trait that I liked, her frankness. My mind turned to the future, would Bella be the right woman for me, for life? I think that Bella had those plans; her involvement in the Dower House was a statement of her wish to be the chatelaine there. However I viewed this I could find little fault. I knew I was close to a decision.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.