Kate - Cover

Kate

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 8

Andrew set his alarm early, used the bathroom, dressed and then went and knocked on Katrina's door. He had to do so twice before there was any response.

"Good morning, Katrina," he called. "The bathroom's free. Breakfast when you're ready."

"'Kay."

He went downstairs and started on the breakfast leaving only the eggs until she arrived which she did twenty minutes later.

They moved silently towards each other and kissed gently.

"Sleep well?" he asked.

"Very thanks."

"Good! Well, help yourself to coffee."

She did so and sat down silently. Moments later Andrew put her breakfast in front of her.

"Wow! I'll never manage all this."

"I bet you will."

She did.

Andrew quickly cleared things away, picked up his laptop and they were away.

Katrina rested her hand on his thigh for a moment.

"From what you said yesterday I expected you to be a breakfast grump but you weren't. Efficiency itself and polite even. I just straightened my sheet and pulled the duvet back up. Is that all right?"

"Perfect. It'll be all ready for you the next time you come for the night. Thank you again for bringing me all the way home."

After a quick, gentle kiss he dropped her off.

"See you tomorrow at seven," she smiled at him.

"Yes, miss."

She rang him that evening purely because she wanted to chat with him. She did remind him to bring the story they were in the middle of with him the following evening.

Tuesday evening went pleasantly with comfortable snuggling while he read to her and increasingly ardent kisses when he stopped.

"I've a court case at Bristol on Thursday so I'll be driving down there tomorrow and won't be back until late on Thursday night. I'm afraid it'll be Friday before I can see you again. The Crown then?"

"Yes please."

"I'll pick you up at seven."

"OK. Would you ring me on Wednesday and Thursday so that I know you're safe?"

"Yes, my Katrina. Of course."

He did that and on both occasions they talked long and happily. They both waited for Friday with growing excitement.

Instead of waiting in the car for her when he picked her up Andrew decided to meet her at the foot of the stairs. That way they could have a proper hug. He only just made it in time. Katrina was half way down the last flight as he came through the outer door.

"Andrew!" she squealed delightedly. Three steps from the bottom she took her hand off the banister rail and spread her arms ready to hug him. She missed her footing and pitched forward. Andrew started forward to catch her but it was too late. She managed to bring her arms forward to break the fall. Her hands hit the floor and there was a crack followed by a thump as her forehead hit it too. She screamed in pain.

Andrew fell to his knees beside her but refrained from touching her."

"Oh, Katrina my love, where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere," she sobbed, "But my right wrist is agony."

"Oh, my little one. Try and keep still while I get an ambulance."

Katrina's scream had brought people to their doors.

"Don't touch her," ordered Andrew. "Could someone call an ambulance? I think she's broken her wrist.

The woman from the nearest flat turned and ran back in. She was back in half a minute.

"On its way," she said. "It shouldn't be long. They keep one on standby in the Spar car park just up the road."

"Thanks," said Andrew.

She was right. The paramedics came through the door scarcely two minutes later. They gave Katrina a pain killer, stabilised her wrist and whisked her away.

Andrew went back to his car where he sat miserably for a few minutes before pulling himself together. First of all he rang the Crown and cancelled. Next he rang the Wilsons. Edwina answered.

"Edwina, it's Andrew. Katrina's just had a nasty fall and, I think, has broken her wrist."

"Oh, Andrew! Poor girl! How did she do it?"

"It was my fault I'm afraid. I went to meet her at the bottom of her stairs and she was so excited that she missed her footing and fell to the very hard floor from about three steps up."

"Ow! She must have been in a lot of pain."

"She was but, thank God, the ambulance arrived very quickly and they have taken her to hospital."

"So where is she now?"

"On her way to A & E and I'm about to follow. Apart from ringing to tell you, her wrist is almost certainly broken and she's going to have it in a cast and be in a sling so she's going to need looking after. My inclination was to take her home and do it myself. Alternatively I can bring her to you."

"What about your work?"

"No problem. I've got a case to write up which I can do at home and I've nothing pressing in the diary. I'm due for some leave anyway."

"You do that, Andrew. You'd prefer it, wouldn't you?"

"Yes."

Edwina chuckled. "So I think would she. Keep us in the picture."

"Of course I will. Thanks, Edwina."

"Not at all and, Andrew?"

"Yes?"

"It was NOT your fault. Accidents happen despite Elf 'n Safety."

"Thanks, Edwina."

"'Bye, dear." She rang off.

Andrew drove to A & E and clocked in with the receptionist who asked him to take a seat. It was still early in the evening and quite quiet. Some ten minutes later a nurse bustled in.

"Mr Whitehead?" she asked with a smile.

"Katherine has broken her wrist but luckily it's a clean break. It's being set under a local anaesthetic but with her head injury we will keep her in overnight. The trouble is she says she lives on her own and she'll need looking after."

Andrew smiled with relief. "She'll be coming home with me and I will look after her. Would you tell her and also that I've told her grandmother who is happy with the arrangement?"

"Certainly I will. Would you like a cup of tea?"

"I'd love one. Thank you."

"OK. Back soon."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.