Gunslinger - a Somewhere in Time Novella - Cover

Gunslinger - a Somewhere in Time Novella

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 8: The Wedding Incident

They filled the little church shepherded over by Reverend Moore to overflowing. Even Banker Barnes showed up, seated straight upright. Mrs. Johnson was picking at his suit for lint.

“Now, sit up straight, Julius. Wherever did you get this suit? It’s way too small, and look at all the lint. I told you that you needed a fresh suit. You never seem to listen,” she harangued the financier.

“Don’t see why I’d has to be here,” he groused. “Never done me no good. Just costed the bank that there reward he wheedled out of me.” Those two never made a truer match than had ever been.

All the friends the joyous couple made in the last couple of days were present and most of the rest of the town. Any excuse for having a party, you know!

The appointed hour was upon them and Clint nervously waited at the rail with Bruce standing next to him in support. Reverend Moore motioned to the woman at the organ to begin.

The organist, Mrs. Moore (a dainty wisp of a girl of no more than twenty years), pumped her feet on the bellows of the reed organ with gusto as she played the Wedding March. Aggie appeared from the nave, smiling and carrying a small bouquet of daisies. She proceeded to the rail and moved over into place as the Maid of Honor.

All eyes were on the alcove and a murmur raced through the throng as Smitty Akin stepped out, clean and dressed in a freshly pressed suit and tie. The most beautiful bride in the Universe was on his arm. That was the groom’s opinion as he stood gazing at her. Clint’s heart soared when he saw that vision of loveliness. Any doubt that he might have had vanished in a haze. Her beauty blinded him as the sunlight streamed through the stained glass windows, casting multicolored rays about the chamber.

Off-key music from the old organ died down as the bride reached the front of the small chapel. A happy pair knelt on the pad especially provided for that purpose. Moore was in full evangelical mode as he preached to the largest congregation he’d witnessed since his ordination. The sin of Pride was upon him, and he finally recognized the demon. His mind pushed those thoughts out, and he turned to the expectant couple. He began the traditional litany,

“Dearly beloved, we gather here today before God, angels, and these witnesses, to join this man and this woman in the bonds of Holy matrimony. If there be anyone here with just cause to object, let him speak now or forever hold his peace.”

The witnesses might have heard a pin drop, if someone had a pin that is. No one moved, and the Reverend continued.

“Do you, Clint, take this woman Jane for your lawfully wedded wife? Do you promise to love, honor, and cherish her for all the days of your life, as long as you both shall live?”

“I do!”

“Do you, Jane, take this man Clint for your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promise to honor, love, and obey him all the days of your life, for as long as you both shall live?”

“Gladly, and I do.”

“It is customary to exchange a token of this bond you pledged here today. What token do you bring?”

Reverend Moore had asked for the ring. Clint looked around, a panic-stricken look on his face. He had forgotten to purchase the requisite ring. Beads of sweat formed on his brow. Then he felt a strong hand on his shoulder. Turning he saw Smitty standing there. Clint’s friend held his hand out and placed a gold band in Clint’s hand.

“It was Bertha’s. She would want this,” He sat down again.

Reverend Moore continued the litany. He had them repeat their vows as he directed.

“With this ring, I thee wed. For better or worse, in sickness and in health, to honor and cherish from this day forward, til death do us part,” Clint pledged as he placed the ring on her left fourth finger.

Janie turned slightly and extended her hand. Aggie handed something to her. She turned back to Clint. “With this ring, I thee wed. For better or worse, in sickness and in health, to honor, cherish and OBEY from this day forward, until death make us part,” she slipped the ring on a surprised Clint’s finger. She had subjugated herself to him for life in that change of the phrase.

Reverend Moore concluded with “By the authority vested in me by God, the state, and the church, I now pronounce y’all man and wife. What God has brought together, let no man put asunder. You may kiss your bride.”

Since the kiss was invented there have been only five deemed the most passionate, the most pure. This one beat them all. This kiss, while chaste because it was in public, held much promise for the pair. Those in the church suddenly burst into applause and the organ swelled with the strains of the recessional. The happy couple moved to traverse the aisle to the back. Grains of rice thrown over the ecstatic pair by the congregants was more of an irritant than anything else.

The church’s ladies organization seated near the back of the sanctuary had left slightly before the recessional started. They had stationed themselves outside under the shade of the big oak trees that dotted the churchyard. They had set up tables before the service and food was now being set out from baskets hidden in the back of the chapel. The good women of the ladies’ auxiliary were bringing them out.

A smorgasbord of culinary treats greeted the participants. They had smoked hams, bacon, some batter fried chicken, bacon, venison roasts, more bacon, beef roasts and ribs, potatoes, yams, beans, corn, greens, and pies. There were all the pies, too. Apple and cherry and peach and pumpkin and squash and rhubarb pies.

A table filled with wrapped and unwrapped presents was at the end of the food line and off to the side a little. Many homemade items like quilts, towels, washcloths, and household implements, both new and lovingly used were there. There even was a new bed that Mr. Johansen, the furniture and cabinet maker had made for Ollie Olafssen, but never got around to deliver before the Olafssens went back to Denmark. Ollie had been a large man and the bed would work well for Janie and Clint.

“I have a little something for you,” Smitty said with a grin after kissing Janie on the cheek. “Right over here a little.”

Tied to a picket a short distance away from the corner of the chapel stood the white mare with her little white filly at her side. After a long labor, the triumphant mare gave birth earlier today. Smitty kept the delivery a secret as a surprise for the married couple.

“Oh my goodness!” she exclaimed. “It this for real? Are they really mine?”

The ecstatic bride rushed over to where they stood and knelt to pet the little foal. She beamed with pride at the new addition to their stock. The little filly proved a hit with the children. They all wanted to pet her. Janie cautioned them not to spook the momma and to be gentle.

The whole town showed their appreciation for the couple and what they did for the town. Janet had let the cat out of the bag to the women’s group and that got the ball rolling that created this big shindig for the newly married couple. The party was in full swing as dusk descended on the happy throng.

Two riders, strangers, rode into town and up the street towards the party, which spilled over into the street. Sheriff Roberts found himself nearest to the pair, and he approached them. The men drew their weapons without warning, and one fired, hitting Smiley in the left leg. He dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Mrs. Roberts rushed to him and in the next moment headed for the man who dismounted from his steed. Her ineffective fists beat on the man’s chest, but he knocked her down next to her wounded husband.

“Howdy Folks,” he announced. “Name’s Bart McCluskey. This here is my brother, Brett. We did heard y’all got yurself a reaper protectin’ yur town. Now I am certain that it can’t be that sorry excuse I plugged, so wherever he is, he best show hisself afore I take exception and have to shoot someone else.”

He punctuated his statement by cocking his gun. Janie pulled back on Clint’s arm as he took a step forward. He looked into her eyes and smiled. He kissed her and pulled his vest open a little with a surreptitious move. She saw the reassuring pearl grip of his Colt in the shoulder holster.

“Be careful. I love you,” she whispered.

Clint stepped away from the crowd, and off to the left of McCluskey.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.