Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch - Cover

Somewhere in Time - Pocket Watch

Copyright© 2013 by MattHHelm

Chapter 3

Well, that didn't go as well as I thought. I erroneously assumed Mom would go along with the plan I'd formulated for the last year. She eventually did calm down and saw the rationale of proceeding this way. She insisted that she wasn't ready, but I convinced her she was. She took the day off from work on Tuesday and spent the morning cramming. I told her that cramming was useless, but she couldn't be convinced. It was finally time to go. I offered to drive her over there to help steady her nerves. We took the Shelby.

She was fifteen minutes early, just like they had advised. I wished her luck and told her I would meet her in the food court at the mall when she was finished. I decided to troll the mall for a while. I liked going to the mall in the summertime. I took up residence on the bench across from the entrance to the food court. It was the best spot in the whole mall for girl watching. Every girl who came to the mall would pass this point at one time or another.

I took my perch and really enjoyed the view. My mind was wandering a bit when I was all of a sudden flying off the bench sideways. I landed painfully on the ground about three feet away. Shawn Cassidy, AKA Butch, and his crew were standing there laughing. Jacob 'Shamu' Finklestein was sitting on the bench recently vacated by me. It was one of their favorite tricks. Shamu would slide in and knock whoever was seated onto the floor. It was my turn to be the victim today. I slowly regained my composure. I knew not to make a fuss. I walked off as they laughed. I promised myself there would be a reckoning one day.

I waited and watched until I saw the gang leave. They were jostling the mall patrons as then went. I saw Mom coming and she fortunately was on the other side of the walkway. She just shook her head as she noticed them leaving. I moved to intercept her. She was smiling, but her smile grew when she saw me. She quickened her pace and I followed suit. We met and she was ecstatic.

"I passed!" she exclaimed, as she retrieved a paper from her purse. "Look, here's my score!"

I looked at the paper. 92% was printed in the score box. The paper, along with the application and a check for one hundred dollars, was to be sent with to the State Board of Realtors. Her license would be processed and returned to her within ten business days. I suggested we go to the post office and send the stuff by certified mail, delivery receipt requested. She agreed, but wanted to get something to eat first. We stopped by Taco Plaza and picked up some burritos and tacos as snacks, and then headed for the car. I'd taken the precaution to use valet parking, and we waited until the man brought the car around. I did a quick inspection, and then tipped the man a ten spot. He thanked me profusely and asked me to look him up next time I came to the mall.

I drove Mom to the main post office downtown. They were open until five, and it was after four. Mom filled out the paperwork for the license as we drove. I told her to use our new home address for now. We would worry about a realty office later. She finished and signed the papers just as I entered the Post Office parking lot. We both jumped out of the car and raced for the door. I got there first and held it for Mom. The postal worker was walking across the lobby to close the curtain and we made it inside just before he closed it. Mom bought a next-day-delivery envelope. Her paperwork was headed for the Capitol the next day, certified mail with delivery receipt requested, when we left.

Now we played the waiting game. I wasn't content to wait. I experimented again the next afternoon. I got into the steamer trunk and pulled some clothing and money out. I triggered the watch once I was dressed. Date 14 April 1865; location Washington, DC.

The place was amazing. Dirt streets and horse-drawn carriages abounded. One had to be careful where one was stepping as they crossed the street. It was early morning, so I took a walking tour. I went up Pennsylvania Avenue just to look at the familiar buildings. The stockade fencing had not been installed yet, and the lawn was more like a park, with visitors seated on blankets. Little children played close to their parents.

I continued on my walk and found myself near the Anacostia River and the naval shipyards. I found a tavern, and the food was good. I was careful not to show my money, and didn't leave a tip. The appearance of wealth could be a fatal disease here. I made my way up to Pennsylvania Avenue again once I was filled. I stopped for a time to look over the Capitol building. I made sure not to interact too much with the locals. I think they didn't interact with me either, for the most part.

I made my way up Pennsylvania until I reached 10th Street. I was directed to turn north by a helpful gentleman, and the theater would be a block and a half from that corner. I knocked on the box office window once there. The window opened a moment later, and a pretty blonde girl asked what I wanted. My head did that quick wish thing we guys do when we see a pretty girl, but I told her that I desperately needed two tickets for tonight's performance of Our American Cousin. She started to shake her head no as she looked down, but then her head sprang back up, and she smiled.

"Why, yes, I do have two tickets: third row, center. Your lady friend is very lucky tonight."

"Oh, I don't have a girlfriend, unless, that is, you might be available for the position. Would you like to see the play with me?" I knew I would be forgotten with the tragedy that would occur tonight. I played a chance, just in case.

"Why, Sir, we haven't even been properly introduced. How could I possibly accept a proposal from a stranger?" she replied.

I promptly introduced myself, saying, "Well, then, let me introduce myself. I am Arthur Fonzarelli, and I'm here visiting down from Concord. I would consider it a great honor to know your name."

"Well, how do you do, Mr. Fonzarelli. I'm Rebecca Sunnybrook., and am pleased to meet you," she said.

She extended her hand out from the booth. I boldly kissed it before returning it to her. She blushed.

"How do you do, Miss Sunnybrook. It is certainly my pleasure to make your acquaintance," I was very glad at that moment that Mom had taken the time to teach me formal manners. "Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the theater tonight? I understand the play is quite good, and the rumor has it that our Commander-in-Chief will be attending as well. I shall be stricken should you turn me down."

"Why, Mr. Fonzarelli, I would be delighted to accompany you. You may pick me up at my home. I shall await your carriage."

She started to close the window.

"Wait," I called out. "Where do you live?"

"Oh!" she said, and coquettishly giggled. "I almost forgot. It's just north, past New York Avenue. It's a little farm, but it's home. We call it Sunnybrook Farm. There's a sign. Be sure you're early enough to meet Aunt Jane. She will thoroughly grill you to make sure you are suitable for her niece. Just remember that her bark is worse than her bite. You can hire a carriage for the night for only four bits at the livery on Constitution Avenue. Mama will be so impressed."

"I shall be there with bells on my toes and a smile on my face," I told her.

She laughed and bade me adieu until later. I now had a few hours to kill, so I headed over to Constitution Avenue. I stopped a dirt-covered boy when I got there and bribed him to tell me where the livery was located (I actually didn't have to bribe him, as he was more than willing to tell me. I did tip him, anyway as a reward.).

My nose identified the business once I turned into the livery. The smell of horseshit permeated the air. My olfactory sense was bombarded with the stench. I began breathing through my mouth as I sought out a cabby. It didn't take long to search one out. His cab looked clean, and he assured me he would be on time. I paid him one dollar with the promise of another dollar after the evening was over. I know I overpaid him a little, but I also figured that it would be worth it in the long run. I told him I was retiring to the inn just down the street and I would expect him to present himself and the cab at six thirty on the clock.

I briskly walked to the inn and took a seat at a table facing the door with my back against the wall. I would not be taken by surprise. My uncle, Thomas Mix, had taught me that. It was good advice in this town. The waitress came and asked my pleasure.

"Ewe?" I said blandly.

She stared, not blinking. I asked what she would have if she could. She told me the stew was really good, so I ordered it and whatever she had that was bottled and had not been opened yet. She suggested the new wine, which had just been delivered from New Hampshire. I agreed (a 'new wine' of the period was usually unfermented).

She was right, the stew was delicious. The grape juice was good, too. I ate slowly to savor the culinary treat. She brought me a small loaf of bread and a crock of butter. This just added to the meal's delight. I had just finished eating when I noticed the cab driver at the door. I waved at him. He nodded, spun on his heel, and exited. I signaled my serving girl, paid her for the meal, and gave her something for herself.

The man's Concord buggy waited outside. He had cleaned it and had freshly polished the brass. I was pleased. I directed him to Sunnybrook Farm and we were off. It was shortly before seven when I arrived at the homestead. I approached the door and politely rapped on the jamb. A vision of loveliness opened the door wide a moment later. Rebecca was stunning. Her long blond hair was done up on top of her head, as was the style I'd seen in the city. She invited me in. I was taken to the home's living room and asked to be seated. I chose the simple straight-backed chair next to the piano. I recognized it as Knabe Grand Piano made in Baltimore. It was almost as beautiful as Rebecca. She asked if I played when she saw me staring at it.

I told her I'd had a few lessons. She suggested I play something to convince Mama and Aunt Jane that I was a man of culture. Although it had been some time, I managed a passable Fur Elise. I heard applause when I finished. I turned to be greeted by two duplicates of Rebecca. Well, not quite. These versions were a little older, and a bit more buxom, but I nevertheless knew in a heartbeat that this was Aunt Jane and Mama.

I rose from the stool and bowed deeply to the matrons. First one, and then the other, extended her hand and I kissed it, which greatly surprised them. They weren't used to the Continental manners.

"I presume that I am in the presence of Rebecca's venerated Aunt Jane?" I asked the matron who looked the least like Rebecca.

This caused the woman to blush. She giggled as the flush spread across her bosom. I was a hit.

"Yes, I'm Jane Sunnybrook. You must be Mr. Fonzarelli?" she said, as a question.

"Yes, I am, Madam. The resemblance between you two is amazing. I could have mistaken you for Rebecca's sister rather than her aunt. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance. I presume your niece has your permission to attend the theater this evening?"

"Yes, of course she has. She is a young woman, after all, and of marrying age, I might add." The other woman answered. This was Rebecca's mother and could have been her twin or at least an older sister.

"I just met your daughter today, and I'm already being set up for matrimony? I would say it isn't a bad thing, but I would need to court her to find out if we were compatible first. This engagement to the theater will be our first opportunity to get acquainted. Are you sure you're willing to allow her to the theater without a chaperone?"

"I assure you that if I had any reservations, Mister Fonzarelli, they have been dispelled by your actions here tonight. You may go with my blessings," she told me, with a wave of her hand.

"Then we must be off. I want to get to the theater before the beginning of the play, as I have not seen it before."

I stood as I spoke, indicating I was ready to leave. Rebecca also stood and crossed over to her aunt. She kissed her aunt's cheek and I noticed she spoke a few words in her ear before she broke her embrace, then she repeated the scene with her mother. Mama nodded at her whispered comment.

Rebecca took my arm and I walked her to the door. I held it open and we left her home. The driver assisted by holding the carriage door as I helped Rebecca into the carriage. She gathered her skirt and crinoline petticoats up as I joined her and the driver closed the door. He climbed up to the high seat and set the carriage in motion. Three left turns and a right had us heading towards the theater. We arrived about seven forty five and were shown to our seats. We were in the third row center, near the aisle.

We would have an excellent view of the stage (and the Presidential box). The theater was full as the house lights went down and the play started. I admit I was enjoying the play. Rebecca was too. It was a comedy and quite funny. The play stopped and the orchestra began playing Hail to the Chief. President Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln had arrived. The President received a standing ovation from the audience. We enthusiastically joined in. The applause finally died down and the play resumed.

The actor Henry Hawk in the lead role of Asa Trenchard, was on stage alone in the middle of Scene II, Act three, delivering his lines about Mrs. Mountchessington, "Don't know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal; you sockdologizing old man-trap!"

This produced a roar from the audience. It was then that I heard the shot, then I heard a scream. A tall man leapt from the Presidential box a moment later. His boot spur caught on a flag decorating the box. I believe it was the flag of the US Treasury.

The man landed poorly on the stage. I would guess the distance of the drop about ten or twelve feet.

He held a bloody dagger and shouted, "Sic semper tyrannous!" as he hobbled across the stage.

He was almost across when we heard a shout of, "Stop that man!"

Screams came from the box above. It was then that the audience realized it wasn't an act or part of the play. Some of the crowd lifted a physician from the stage to the box. There was another doctor already there. Pandemonium reigned as people were speculating about the events. The word was passed that the President had been assassinated. I pulled Rebecca to me and moved away from the Presidential box. The rest of the crowd was surging towards it. We made our way out of the theater just before a squad of Union troops ran up.

Our carriage was waiting there and we quickly entered it. I told the driver to leave when he could, but at a steady pace so as to not draw attention. I explained to him that President Lincoln had been shot, and we didn't want to be considered suspects. I wanted him to wait until some other cabs started leaving. Rebecca was sitting next to me, crying. I sat beside her, and audaciously put my arms around her. She cuddled up close, tears still flowing, and her arms held in front of her with her hands on my chest.

I rocked her as I shushed her. I couldn't help but smell the fragrance of her hair and the perfume she wore. It was making me a little giddy and excited. She was soft and beautiful and definitely female, after all. She was all a seventeen-year-old boy could ever want, and yes, I did want her. I knew, however, that she was good for taking to the theater, but not girlfriend material. It would be well over one hundred years before I was around. She'd be dead and buried by then.

As I held her close, I felt the carriage start moving. The driver turned and informed me that other carriages were leaving and we were going to go also. It was now after 11 o'clock, so we'd been sitting and waiting for almost a half hour. Rebecca's tears had receded, but she still sobbed occasionally. I wasn't affected nearly as much. He was her President, after all, not mine.

We were getting quite cozy by the time we approached her home. I took a chance and kissed her. She kissed back ... forcefully! She had my full attention as her hands wandered over my shoulders and back. My hands also started wandering and she didn't stop me. Still the gentleman, I didn't do what I wanted to do, that is move my hands around to her front.

The carriage came to rest and we exited the carriage. I escorted Rebecca to her home. We stopped on the porch.

"Will I see you tomorrow, Mr. Fonzarelli?" she asked, as she fluttered her eyelashes.

"Actually, I'm sorry, but with these developments, I'll have to get back home. I did enjoy our time together despite the tragedy. I may come back sometime, and I would deem it an honor if you would allow me to escort you to another, presumably happier, function."

"Yes, I think I would like that very much, but don't stay away too long. I'm not getting any younger and I may have to look elsewhere for companionship.

I took my leave and entered the cab once more. I told the driver to take me back to the inn where he picked me up. We arrived there in short order. The city troops had been deployed and we were stopped twice on the way. I stepped down at the inn and gave the driver the rest of his wage. He saluted me and drove off. I moved into the shadows and looked around. Certain that I was alone; I activated the watch once more.

I was instantly back in the attic. I changed clothing and replaced the money in the container where I'd gotten it. I had hardly made a dent in the amount, so I wasn't worried about going back. I could go back any time, to any time, since I had the watch. Now that was a nice thought. I closed the trunk, and went down to the kitchen for a snack before going to bed. I was shocked to find there was still sunlight when I hit the landing.

Puzzled, I descended to the second floor and detoured to my room. I looked at the clock. I shook my head to clear it and looked again. I was gone about eighteen hours, and yet the clock said I'd been gone thirty minutes. I must have taken at least twenty minutes changing clothes and counting the money. I hurried down the stairs and ducked into the living room where I turned the TV on. The noon news was on and it verified that today was still today and not tomorrow.

This was something to think about. My trip in time lasted eighteen hours, and yet only about ten minutes had passed. I wondered how long it would have been if I'd stayed until the assassin, John Wilkes Booth, had been caught and killed. I figured I needed to spend a week someplace and test it, but where? I would have to think about that.

I read for a while before nodding off. The next thing I knew, Mom was sitting on the edge of my bed, gently shaking me. I looked at the clock and saw that it was six o'clock. I'd slept six hours. I was tired, but not as tired as I was before my nap. I made up a lame excuse and Mom bought it. She said she'd started dinner and it would be ready soon.

I stumbled to the bathroom, still a little groggy. I felt better after taking a leak and washing my face. I went downstairs and into the kitchen. Mom wasn't there, but the Hamburger Helper Chili was happily cooking away. The timer was set with only five minutes left, so I set the table. Mom came in a minute later. She explained she'd been using the facilities and dinner was almost ready. I knew that, but let her tell me anyway.

We made small talk and Mom said she'd do the dishes. She was worried about me. I didn't look good and she wanted me to go to bed. I thankfully accepted her offer and trudged upstairs. I didn't even try to read, but I resolved that I would get a good night's rest before traveling through time in either direction.

I spent the week searching for the best time and place. Mom had purchased a set of the Encyclopedia Britannica when I had started high school, so I used it as reference. I read a lot. I'd escape back into my Pern book when I got tired of researching, plus I got plenty of rest. I discovered when and where I wanted to go in my research. I'd go to Texas in the 1870s. It seemed interesting from what I'd read, so that was my choice. I checked the trunk and found an outfit that would work and plenty of money. There were quite a few gold double eagles and a bundle of banknotes drawn on banks in Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Waco. I figured I could go and make a tour of some of the areas and then return. I would have fun, get to ride horses, and if I was careful, come out of it alive.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.