The Anomaly Volume Two: the Schemes of the Unknown Unknown - Cover

The Anomaly Volume Two: the Schemes of the Unknown Unknown

Copyright© 2013 by Bradley Stoke

Chapter 18: Intrepid - 3755 C.E.

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 18: Intrepid - 3755 C.E. - Surely this is exactly what Beatrice was always meant to be. She had in Paul a loving faithful husband. She had as many other lovers as she might desire. And most of all she was playing a crucial role in the Space Ship Intrepid's quest for the Anomaly. How could it ever be better for her? But Beatrice's moment of glory and the success of the Intrepid's mission is under threat from shadowy and mysterious entities whose very existence has not even been suspected.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Ma/Ma   NonConsensual   Rape   Gay   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Hermaphrodite   Science Fiction   Space   FemaleDom   Spanking   Rough   Humiliation   Sadistic   Interracial   Anal Sex   Fisting   Squirting   Science fiction adult story, sci-fi adult story, science-fiction sex story, sci-fi sex story

It was over in all of seven seconds, but for Paul it wasn't until the final fraction of the seventh second that he was conscious that anything had happened at all. And what he was aware of was more disorientating than calamitous.

It had started with a sudden jolt that shuddered through the room and in particular the bed on which he'd been dozing. He'd been awake for over half an hour but it was his habit to drift in and out of the last few moments of sleep before eventually sliding his feet out from under the sheet and over the side of the bed. Sometimes he would lie in bed and eat breakfast prepared and served by robot, but with Beatrice so often absent these days there was rather less pleasure in staying awake in bed than there used to be.

The jolt was followed by a thundering dislocating growl during which Paul, along with everything else in his room, slowly rose above the ground. This was a momentary failure of the Intrepid's artificial gravity system that normally made life in a space ship seem so deceptively normal. Although this was what most alarmed Paul, it was just one of many fears that flooded through his mind. Only a truly considerable force could disrupt the slow and inexorable rotation of the Space Ship Intrepid on its axis.

The situation then gradually returned to normal. The space ship's growl steadily dropped out of the audible range. Paul and everything else in the room slowly fell back to the ground.

It was only then, after everything had already happened, that the space ship's alarm system burst into life and the klaxons rang out. This was incredibly loud and piercing. It startled Paul much more than anything that had preceded it. Since the instructions broadcast after the alarm were basically for him—and everyone else—to stay where he was and not panic, it was literally no effort for him to act as instructed. Paul's heart pounded ferociously in his chest and his skin was pasted in a sheen of cold sweat.

What the fuck had happened?

A similar thought might have occurred to Isaac and the Holy Crusaders, although they would have formulated it differently. In any case, every single one of them was dead before the alarm sounded. Indeed, given that sound couldn't travel through a vacuum they wouldn't have heard anything even if they were still alive. Had Isaac been protected by a space-suit sufficiently proof to nuclear, anti-matter or conventional explosions, he would have seen a stellar firmament where one star, the Sun, shone only a few times brighter than the others and where there was also the dimming light from the slowly extinguishing debris of thousands upon thousands of thermo-nuclear and anti-matter warheads that had just been summarily annihilated.

What Isaac didn't know, and neither did Paul, was that the Intrepid couldn't possibly have survived without external help. An assault of this magnitude had never before been unleashed at any one time in the whole of humanity's existence. Even a space ship as sophisticated and well-armed as the Intrepid wasn't equipped to fend off such an overwhelming onslaught. It was unfortunate that one stray missile had managed to get as far as it had and exploded just outside the Intrepid's hull. For Isaac and his fellow crusaders the consequence of this was rather worse than just an unfortunate inconvenience. The true miracle, however, was that the whole space ship Intrepid wasn't now reduced to nothing more than a trail of interstellar debris and a glow of deadly radiation.

A space ship like the Intrepid was designed to withstand a substantial breach in its hull though its survival strategy was fatal to any survivors that might still be in the outermost level. The shell of the next outermost level instantly hardened into the same toughness as the ship's hull and jettisoned any encumbrance such as oxygen, biological life-forms and robots that might hinder the speed of this transformation. All forms of access were instantly plugged. It was efficient. It was fast. And, as had been proven many times in the long history of deep space travel where there was no prospect of emergency services arriving any time soon, it was absolutely necessary.

Of all the passengers and crew on board the Intrepid, only Beatrice was truly aware of the full facts and even she was taken almost unawares.

One moment, she was making love with Captain Kerensky. For her this was a duty but also a pleasure. The next moment she abruptly jerked upright over her conflicted lover, jumped off the bed and stood rigidly to attention. She had just received an emergency broadcast of the ongoing action from the invisible Proxima Centauran space ships escorting the Intrepid. This might have been unexpected, but Beatrice did at least have the benefit of several seconds' grace shared by no one, including Captain Kerensky, before there was a muffled thud against the Intrepid's hull and the consequent momentary failure in the gravitational system.

In those few seconds Nadezhda was at first greatly offended by being so abruptly cast aside and then swiftly began to formulate an escape strategy. Perhaps Beatrice's operating system had somehow crashed. Although rare, it did still sometimes happen to the Solar System's most complex robots and perhaps the same phenomenon might still afflict extrasolar machine intelligences. Nevertheless, she recognised that whatever it was that was happening was affecting not only Beatrice as she felt herself float gently upwards with her erstwhile lover and now her captor.

"What happened?" Nadezhda asked as soon as she was able.

Captain Kerensky could tell that her android lover was furiously multitasking. There followed an unusually slow response from Beatrice who was apparently in frantic communication with her fellow aliens.

"We passed a relatively small asteroid nearly half a million kilometres distant," Beatrice replied. "Naturally, we routinely monitor all space objects for threat. There was no reason to suspect that this asteroid would be any different from any other. Without warning, at exactly the closest point of triangulation, the asteroid let loose a few hundred missiles. Within the first two seconds, these split into a few thousand and all were targeted at the Intrepid. None were targeted at or seemed even to be aware of the presence of the Proxima Centauri space fleet. This is fairly strong evidence that the party responsible for this assault comes from within your Solar System. Our space fleet had only four or five seconds to annihilate all the missiles before they hit their target."

Nadezhda tried to assimilate this sudden rush of information. "Did you destroy them all?" was the only question she could frame.

"Our forces eliminated very nearly all of them. The Intrepid's slower defence system destroyed the hundred or so missiles remaining. One missile exploded within fifty kilometres of the Intrepid's hull. It was that which caused the anomalous gravity event. The explosion breached the hull and the space ship's self-repair system immediately sprung into action."

"Casualties?"

"You're perfectly right to ask," said Beatrice who was also sentimental about such things although she often wondered what difference a year here or there really made to the lives of these transient beings. "All biological life-forms in the outermost level were instantly exterminated. This was caused either directly by the explosion or from the sudden loss of habitable environment. The vast majority of human casualties were Holy Coalition prisoners so their loss will have no adverse operational impact. In fact, it will actually help to conserve resources. There were a further dozen or so casualties in the penultimate level. This was as an unfortunate side-effect of the space ship's automatic defences. There were a few injuries and one death caused by the momentary failure in centrifugal rotation."

Captain Kerensky was slightly offended by the unemotional objectivity of Beatrice's account. These were people's lives she was talking about. "What about your lot?" she asked. "Were any alien androids killed in defence of the Intrepid?"

"None," said Beatrice. "But the missiles weren't directed at us. You must be aware that if the space ship Intrepid hadn't been escorted by a fleet of Proxima Centauri star ships and if we hadn't secured it against such an attack, then neither of us would now be alive. All your crew and passengers would now be little more than radioactive waste."

"So who did this? Was it another group of religious fanatics?"

"If we knew, then we would have anticipated the attack and guarded against it," Beatrice replied. "Our intelligence capacity exponentially exceeds that of your governments and non-governmental agencies, but we were still caught entirely off-guard. It's true that we expected some measure of disruption to the ship's mission—that is, after all, why we're protecting you—but we didn't anticipate that it would come in this form."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.