Sea Fencibles - Cover

Sea Fencibles

Copyright© 2013 by Argon

Chapter 9: Eligibility

It was in late March of the following year, 1807, when a letter from Anson's prize agent arrived with the mail from Plymouth. There it was, in neat writing. The captain's share to which Anson was entitled from the sale of the captured enemy ships was set at £3,937 10s of which £3,543 15s remained after the prize agent took his cut. When he added the over £900 he already owned, this was a substantial sum. For the next two days, Anson was busy detailing his plans to invest the money.

Firstly, he instructed the caretaker, Mr. Oglethorpe, to buy land to enlarge the Aylesford Lodge property. For this, Anson earmarked £2.000. Another £2.000 would be invested temporarily in the Funds at eight per cent, yielding him an additional annual income of £160. The remainder was to be transferred to Anson's Plymouth bank house. His financial situation was quite satisfactory now. His pay was £547 10s per year, and already enough for him to live in his rented house. The income from Aylesford Lodge amounted to over £800. This would increase when lands would be added to the property. With the dividends from the Funds and his pay, his annual income was over £1,500. This was quite substantial for a young captain, a bachelor at that without noteworthy vices.

A few days later, Anson sent out invitations to his acquaintances in Salcombe. For days, Libby Mason worked herself raw, but when the evening came, the guests were treated to good food, plenty of drink, and an appealing ambience. Anson had had the walls and ceilings painted freshly, and even in the shine of candles the house looked bright and inviting.

Of course, Col. Maynard made his appearance, and he was polite enough. He even complimented Anson on his taste and commented positively about the changes in the house.

"I liked the house well enough, but my tastes are not those of a confirmed bachelor," Anson replied.

"I should not think so, my dear Captain. Did your benefactor succeed in arranging a good match for you?"

Anson thought briefly. For what was Maynard aiming? He decided to be cautious.

"Not yet, and there is no hurry. After all, my posting here is a serious detriment for his efforts. There will be time enough once my command here ends."

"We shall miss your presence, Captain," Maynard answered politely.

"And how are you faring in your quest for a son-in-law, if I may inquire so boldly?"

"It would seem that my daughter has met a great many young gentlemen, but none of them has caught her fancy so far. It would also seem that her little impediment is regarded as more detrimental by the Plymouth gentlemen than I thought." Maynard gave a sigh. "It will be difficult."

Anson knew a little more about this from his visits to Plymouth. It was not Elizabeth's muteness that deterred suitors. Rather, she used her tablet sparingly and made a show of being unable to follow the talk of her suitors.

"That is difficult to comprehend, Colonel. She is, after all, a very accomplished and charming young lady."

"Isn't she! I admit to being at a loss. I do not have the heart to marry her to some older widower here in town. Most of them are known as drunkards. But what can I do?"

Clearly, Maynard was dangling a bait here, but Anson decided not to bite yet.

"It is not as if I were knowledgeable of such affairs, Colonel, but perhaps it were best to exercise some patience. There is not urgent need for her to marry, is there?"

"She is going on five-and-twenty, Captain. When, if not now can I find a good husband for her and still see my grandchildren?"

"A quandary to be sure. If I were free in my choices, then I would certainly consider Miss Elizabeth. That is, if you could see me as eligible at all."

"You are a grown man, Captain. What can restrain your freedom?" Maynard queried eagerly.

"My benefactor, Sir Robert, gave me the advice not to fall for the first young lady who is looking for a bridegroom. And, as a matter of fact, Miss Elizabeth was the first to fit the epithet "young lady" whom I met, and so far the only one."

"Perhaps, if you were to describe my daughter to Sir Robert and elaborate on the substantial dowry she can expect, then he would change his advice?"

"I take it then that you consider me eligible?"

"Well, knowing you better now, both from our duties and from the pleasant evenings at cards, my impression of you has improved even over the initial favourable view. I also understand that your financial situation is rather well ordered?"

"The prize monies were paid, and I received a captain's share. This and the income from my lands should enable me to maintain a wife in proper style."

"Perhaps we should continue this interesting discussion once you have had the opportunity to write to your benefactor. I am given to understand that Sir Robert not only wields considerable influence but also that he is very supportive of you. That is of course an important consideration. And if I may be a tad bit indiscreet, my daughter is quite taken by you."

"Is she indeed? I find that very flattering. Let me write to Sir Robert and see how he advises me. Please understand that his support is important to me, and that I can ill afford to ignore his opinion."

They left it at this, and Anson returned to his duties as host. Yet, when the guests left, Maynard made a point to remind Anson of their agreement.

"Let me know Sir Robert's mind, my dear Captain. My daughter would be very happy if we could reach an agreement."

"I shall write to him with the next mail packet, Colonel. Have a good evening!"

Libby Mason had watched the parting and she smiled.

"I wish you the best of luck, Captain. Miss Elizabeth is a fine young woman."

"Now there remains the task of convincing Sir Robert," he answered, staying in character.

"Sir... ?"

"Yes, what is it, Libby?"

"I like it fine working for you, Captain. I get along well enough with Stevens, too. Once your posting here is over..."

"You are asking whether I'd keep you in my employ?"

Libby nodded.

"I am well pleased with your work, Libby. Once my posting at Salcombe ends, I shall in all likelihood live at my Berkshire estate. I don't have any staff there yet. I should like nothing better than for you to be my housekeeper there. Does that answer your question?"

"Indeed, sir. It does. Thank you, sir. I would love to get away from here."

"Perhaps you can accompany me on my next visit to Plymouth? I imagine there are items you need that are not available at the grocer here in Salcombe."

Libby beamed at this prospect. "I would love that, sir. I haven't been to Plymouth in three years. I've saved most of my pay, and I could shop for some things."

"We are agreed then. I shall go next Thursday. That will allow me to pay a visit to Miss Elizabeth at her aunt's house," he smiled.


Two days later, Anson paid a call at Maynard's house. The colonel received him almost immediately.

"There you are, my dear Captain! How may I be of help?"

"I would ask your permission to call on your daughter when I visit Plymouth next week, Colonel. I have sent a letter to Sir Robert explaining the possibilities, but I have thought about the matter, too. I feel that I should know more about Miss Elizabeth. I would appreciate it if you were so kind as to provide me with an address and perhaps a letter of introduction for her aunt."

Maynard showed relief at this, and he smiled benevolently.

"Of course, Captain. My sister-in-law is Mrs. Prudence Fowler, and I shall write a letter at once and send it over to your house. She will be delighted to make your acquaintance."

"The delight will be mine I am sure, and you are very kind, Colonel. Umh, can you advise me on Mrs. Fowler's tastes? What should I bring?"

"I believe she still enjoys sherry wine of the sweet variety."

"Thank you, Colonel. I will admit that to wait for another year or two until finding a fitting wife is a most disheartening prospect. I am not given to cavorting around loose women, and my only vice is the cards.

"The latter, my dear Captain, is not a vice but a laudable exercise of the mind. I will admit that your sober conduct and earnest attention to duties is positively noted. Too many young gentlemen overdo the sowing of wild oats and suffer illness from that in their latter years."

And so, Anson left the Maynard's house with the prospect of a letter of introduction to Mrs. Fowler and with the colonel's best wishes. That evening he sat down in his living room by the light of an oil lamp to write a letter to Sir Robert Connington.

My dear Sir Robert,

As you may recall from my last letter, I am now living in a rented house. In the recent weeks I have hosted most of the local dignitaries, and I believe that I am well accepted inasmuch as an outsider can ever be accepted in such a small town.

My duties are light enough, and I have busied myself in recent months practising with the sword. A gentleman living just outside the town is my instructor, and I believe that my progress satisfies him.

I am now very much restored to health, and my leg does not cause me any hurt even under strain. I am therefore looking forward to the end of my posting when I can apply for a seagoing command.

I am also in the hope of winning an accomplished and beautiful woman for my wife. Miss Elizabeth Maynard is the only child of Colonel Maynard, formerly of the 1st Bombay Muskets, who is one of the largest landowners around Salcombe. He is also the Justice of the Peace and commands the militia, and I have dealings with him frequently. I met Miss Elizabeth early on when I first interviewed the colonel. She is of medium height, with dark hair and a lovely face. She is well read and as of recently even a published writer! The reason why I am considered eligible at all is her muteness. She hears well and is possessed of an excellent memory, but following a harrowing experience as a young girl, she became a mute. We communicate with the help of a wax tablet that she uses with alacrity.

Yesterday, I reached a tentative agreement with her father. He will hear my suit once I have spoken out to Miss Elizabeth and also obtained your blessing. Miss Elizabeth can expect a generous dowry, but it is her smile and her quick wit that endear her to me most. As my long time benefactor, I ask you for your consent to this union.

Your obedient servant,

Jeremiah Anson, Captain R.N.

The mail packet was due in another day, and Anson made certain that the postmaster would include the letter.

For the next days, Anson inspected the signal stations under his command and impressed the need for vigilance on the warrant officers and ratings. Chalke might just conduct an exercise of the semaphore system during Anson's visit. He made it clear to his subalterns that the consequences of failure would be harsh. After all, any rating released from the Sea Fencibles was likely to be pressed into the Royal Navy. That was a very efficient stick to wield for Anson.

On Thursday next, H.M. schooner Lady Jane set sail for Plymouth with Anson on board. Libby Mason was accompanying him, but she kept to herself not wanting to cause any gossip. It took the small vessel a full day to beat against the western winds, and Libby was tossed about in the small cabin. Staying on the deck was not advisable under these conditions, and even Anson experienced a rare feeling of sea sickness on the tossing deck. They were all glad to reach Plymouth.

Anson and his small entourage rushed through the driving rain and towards the inn where Anson found his admiral at supper.

"Nasty weather, Captain. Do have a seat and get warm again. How was the sailing?"

"Two-reef winds from west-south-west, sir. Nasty rollers, too. No weather for a schooner."

"I'll say. I was planning on conducting a little signal exercise, but in this visibility..."

"The crews are prepared for it, sir," Anson replied.

"Anticipating the enemy's moves, Captain?" Chalke asked with a small smile.

"In a way, yes, sir," Anson answered frankly.

Chalke chuckled at this. "Good! You come at a convenient time, Captain. Dido came in under pumps three days ago. Ran over a charted rock near Gorran Haven." Chalke made a face. "Admiral Mallard has already called for a Court Martial against Captain Leary and his Sailing Master. Captain Leary needs a friend."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.