Heaven and Earth - the Trade - Cover

Heaven and Earth - the Trade

Copyright© 2013 by Rolf

Chapter 1

Phyllis and her sister Bonnie just always wander down to the Park. There was not much there, a small stone path, an old swing and what was left of an pile of sand, now mostly dirt. Both were pretty girls, blond hair, blue eyes and, even if they had a few extra pounds on their tummies, it would soon go away once they got older.

The Park was not too far away, you could see most of it from the front of the house. What part was not visible was the section where the path ran into the nearby forest. This always worried Nancy. She told herself she was being foolish. An overprotective mother perhaps, but nevertheless it always bothered her.

Phil was the oldest, near 6 now. She was to always watch her sister. Bonnie was just 3. They would stay at that speck of land for hours. Schooldays were like a prison for Bonnie. The landlord did not like anything in the yard, and the other tenants in the apartment did not have children her age. Nancy had been looking for fulltime work ever since she had become a single Mom. Ken had gone off on assignment for 3 or 4 weeks. That was the last time she saw him. His boss called telling her how sorry he was. There had been a 'training' accident and Ken had been killed, his body could not be retrieved, the water was too deep there. Someone would be contacting her, there was an insurance policy for these kind of things.

What good was money, the $100,000 would not even pay for the kids' College. At the rate of inflation there would be nothing left even if they could go to college. Bonnie could not speak. The prospect of finding a new husband, let alone even a man, raising 2 kids, paying the medical and therapy bills and finding a decent job often made her 'give up hope'. She remembered that Hope was all she really had. She looked away to dry her eyes, then looked to the Park. Neither girl was there. Not caring that even her shoes had fallen off, she raced to the Park. Kneeling down were the shaped of two little girls. She relaxed a bit until she saw the man just behind them. He was touching Bonnie's leg, stroking it now, more even. She had never run that quickly before in her life.

She was ready to throw herself in a berserker rage, her Norse god would accept her life for her daughters, she had no doubt the man would be dead when they pried her hands from his throat. It was a small price to pay. Phyllis saw Nancy and raced to her, wrapping her arms around her Mother.

"Mommy, Oh Mommy it was terrible. I was so afraid. This nice man came up and chased the dog away and is trying to help. When Bonnie tried to get away from the dog she fell and hurt herself.'

Still holding the leg and flexing the knee the Man said. "Are you her sister or does she live nearby?"

"I'm her Mother, Thank You!" she said with a scowl.

"Opps, you just don't look old enough to be her Mother. My name is Jim and I was just walking by when I saw the dog. I think she will be fine. She was not bitten, no wounds or broken skin, but if you have an ice pack or something in the freezer to put on her knee it will prevent any swelling, just in case. I've been gently keeping it moving and nothing seems broken My guess is our little lady was just scared and will probably be ready for some ice crème soon..."

"Thank You Dr. Kildare, but I'd rather get a professional diagnoses."

No, Rhodes, Dr. James Rhodes. I'll carry her home for you, you can take her somewhere but I can assure you she is fine. She never said a word and if all my patients were as well behaved as her and the other little girl I wouldn't have such a difficult time getting nurses."

That brought huge smiles to the two girls faces. Nancy had that look all women get when realize that what they thought they saw was not what really was happening. When Jim picked Bonnie up she was about to scream at him to put her down until two arms went around his neck and Bonnie rested her head on his chest. Her eyes closed and she looked like she was dreaming. Nancy became part of this world when she felt her other daughter pulling her towards the house, smiling and skipping.

"She's not quiet Doctor. She can't talk!" A mothers tears were something that can't be hidden. Jim nodded his head and said to himself, 'Yet'. They continued to the house.

"Phil, get something cold from the freezer if you can reach, or Mom, you get it. One of you bring me a cloth, a glass of plain water and a wet rag."

Without much thought those orders were quickly followed. He took the glass of water, held it for Bonnie to sip. When she was done, he drank the rest of the water and handed the empty glass back. He began to clean off her leg, put the bag of frozen corn inside the cloth and applied it to her knee. The blank stares he was getting made for the perfect opportunity. "What?" Jim said, We were both thirsty. Saving lives is a thirsty business you know? Right Kitten?"

Bonnie's eyes looked at him, she nodded, and Nancy started sobbing. Bonnie had not even been willing to be near a man since Ken had never come back. Now she was bonding with this stranger. She looked at Phyllis and she too was looking wide eyed at this man.

Nancy was well educated. She got her composure back and calmly told him, "If you think I'm paying for a house call, and your fee, Buster, think again? What is your fee!"

"Mmmm, Let's see, saving a little angel and her sister from a vicious, terrible monster, on the scene medical treatment, transport home and professional emergency after care is pretty expensive. You have to let me take you all out for that desert, at the very least and a hug from the patient and her sister. One from her distraught mom might help too. I dare not ask for a kiss, my medical license might be in jeopardy for over charging?"

It had been a long time that Nancy had anything to smile about. Her two daughters though had taken to this complete stranger as though they had known him all their life.

They say a child, a pet or an dying person can see things others may not. It is like another sense. Nancy took a closer look at Dr. Jim and saw a man, a man who was smiling at her. Looking in her eyes, not at her 38 D's. At her.

Ken had been gone a long time. Dr. Jim was the first man she could look at who did not leer at her, was rude to her children and seemed to have a personality other than that of a dead fish. Should she 'Lighten' up a little around him? From the look on her daughters faces, she might have too. It seems that both had 'caught' a new Daddy and that he was a 'keeper'. Looking again at him, she saw the same potential in him that they did.

"Thank you so much! Won't you wife be worried. You can use our phone to call her!" The words came out and Nancy just wanted to die. It was so obvious!

"I only wish I had a wife, and that she was a beautiful as you! Alas, we poor Doctors don't have much of a social life for a few years. I am new in town. I was looking for a place hear the Hospital then saw the Park and came by. You sort of know the rest. I would like to call someplace and get a room, if you could tell me where the nearest hotel or even motel is, my car is just down the block. I'll not find anything tonight!"

Bong, Bong, Bing, Bam! Stars were forming overhead, the sky was opening up and all of a sudden she needed to change clothes. The words coming out of her mouth seemed to come from someone else.

"I have an extra bedroom, and you are welcome to use it until you find a place! I'll even fix dinner before we go for any Ice Crème!" She wanted to turn invisible.

"Great. This way I can make certain our little lady is OK. You sure you don't mind?'

Mind, Mind she thought. Was this wet dream, a young single Doctor, who seemed to be idolized by two, no, make it three women now serious. "No, since my husband was killed, we just turned the room into another bedroom. I'm sure the girls wont mind sharing the bathroom. They may have to pick up a few things if a man will be around though!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.