Accidental Attraction - Cover

Accidental Attraction

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 22

Preparations for the wedding became the dominant theme even though Reg and Eleanor never slacked off at work. It did mean though that he lost her to Bridget for three Saturday mornings for dress fittings. The other two Saturdays they spent finding furniture either via the internet or from visits to second hand shops. They also bought cutlery, crockery and glassware. By the day before the wedding the house was ready for them.

Eleanor had two bridesmaids, both old school friends, Bridie and Tessa. Both were pretty, vivacious and friendly. Reg met them the evening before the wedding and liked them both but to him neither held a candle to his Eleanor. He asked Wayne to be his best man. "You were the cause of all this, dropping boxes on me," he said. Wayne smiled ruefully but was honoured and delighted.

Neither Eleanor nor Reg sang during the service. They had enough difficulty saying their marriage vows they were so wound up. Inevitably they had 'Love divine all joys excelling' sung to Hyfrydol but under good natured pressure from Edwin they also included 'Guide me, oh thou Great Redeemer' to Cwm Rhondda. Bridie sang the 'Laudate Dominum' from Mozart's Vespers while the register was signed. She sang it quite beautifully too.

The church was packed. Reg was deeply touched that all four of his grandparents came even though both grandfathers were pretty frail. All his uncles, aunts and cousins came too. DRD was there en masse. Will Hornbeam and his wife came too. Eleanor made sure that Reg invited all the hospital staff who had looked after him, something he was only too happy to do. He was less happy about making a speech at the reception but carried it off with aplomb. Eleanor was almost bursting with pride in him. Wayne made everyone laugh and Kylie rewarded him with a very exuberant and public kiss.

Reg had never been to Scotland so that is where they spent their honeymoon, walking in the Highlands. It was an ecstatically happy fortnight for them both and the exercise helped to restore Reg to full fitness.

Apart from giving them a canteen of silver cutlery for twelve David and Bridget also gave Reg five percent shares in DRD. He was deeply touched.

Ten weeks later tenders for the warehouse were submitted. Ray and Reg went over them with a fine toothed comb. They did not recommend the cheapest to the Board but the second cheapest. That was accepted and work started almost immediately. It took just over six months. The first thing the contractors did was to construct a corrugated-iron shed as a temporary warehouse which allowed somewhat limited production to continue.

In the meanwhile, Reg, with Ray's endorsement, selected three companies to offer for the automated conveyor system. Again they did not select the cheapest although there was little in it. The selected contractor won largely on post-installation support. There was a month of organised chaos at the end as both contractors worked together to install the system. All the warehouse staff were involved and learned everything there was to know about it.

Prior to that the new forklifts were selected and the warehouse staff rotated in pairs for three days instruction by the manufacturers.

The new warehouse was opened by the mayor and many local dignitaries were present. A reception was held in the warehouse with a demonstration of the new conveyor system.

By the end of it Reg was exhausted mentally and physically. David ordered him and Eleanor to take a week's break. This time they went south finding a luxury hotel at the southern end of the Gower Peninsula. The weather was fine if rather cold but they walked and talked. They also went to a choral concert in Swansea. Reg relaxed and Eleanor helped him to do so, not in a sloppy, over-caring way but gently and encouragingly.

"Belle," he said as they lay in bed on their final night. Belle had become his pet name for her. "Belle, I've fallen in love with you all over again. I never thought I could love you more than the day I told you I loved you but it kept on growing the more time I spent with you but this week, my precious wife, it's taken a further leap. I can't believe it's possible to love anybody more."

She nodded. "Same here, my Poop," she whispered. "Sometimes, when I look at you or you say something like now, it hurts."

He smiled tenderly at her. "Kiss it better?"

"Mmm," she murmured.

The love-making that followed reflected both the tenderness and intensity of their love.

The extension of Receipts was a much simpler operation but once again the supervision of the contractors was Reg's responsibility. Eleanor turned her attention to costing: buying in greater bulk, a smaller work force because of greater automation, sales and advertising. She looked briefly at quality control but the lack of complaints made her realise quickly that there was nothing to be saved in that area.

Once again though it was Reg who gave her a new idea, after sales service. He suggested occasional visits to customers in the hope that they would recommend DRD to others. David and Ray leapt at it. They both could see the benefits, particularly if an attractive couple like Reg and Eleanor did the visits. Reg diffidently suggested that the odd visit by the company chairman would be well received too. That was also enthusiastically accepted.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.