Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 130

Like Martin said, I didn't need the money, but I still enjoyed staying busy and feeling like I was earning my way in the world. "Martin Email me the details of the job. I think I'm ready for a nice quiet job." I expected that a quiet gig would help to pass the time. And help me get past my depression.

There was a damp chill in the air that cut down on my plane's performance, but it was still above simply adequate. It was fun even if I was bundled up like an Eskimo princess. I sat the plane down and rushed to my truck to warm up before I put it away. It appeared that I might just put the plane away. I had flown it a long time without a heater but I didn't think I would be getting enough enjoyment out of it for the frostbite I might get. The cabin was closed in but it was still cold with no heat. It also leaked air around all the joints where the canopy touched the plastic body.

The air was also driven pretty hard by the prop wash that beat against the canopy from the rear. All things considered I decided to wait until I was warm again, then to drain the gas from the carburetor and tank. It took me about an hour to do as much winterizing as I knew how to do.

I was back on the barge by noon Christmas day. It was just another day to me. I hated that about myself. I had obviously lost my faith in everything. Maybe not everything but everything in which the average person put their faith.

I was surprised that the barge was empty at noon on Christmas day. Then I guessed that Wilson had gone to visit his daughter. I wondered it he would take Mel, who was most likely younger than Wilson's daughter. "Merry Christmas honey, I want you to meet your new future step mom," I started laughing at that image.

Since the Bar and the restaurant were finished as well as the apartments, I had nothing to occupy my mind. I checked the messages on the office land line. "Sylvia," the first on said. "I am calling all of the cast of the Old Man Enterprises show. I wanted to let everyone know the first episode is airing today. It's going to air twice once today as part of the home channel's disgustingly sweet Christmas Marathon, then again on Tuesday for real. It you want to see the sneak preview it is on tonight at 9PM. Oh it's Lois," she ended with a laugh.

Well I could always watch the Old Man Enterprises premiere I supposed. Probably not though. I really didn't care how the show went. I was out of it and not all that sad to be.

Message two: "Merry Christmas, from Allen and Jeremy. We will be seeing you on New Years Eve won't we?" It was The Brits last big party in the pub. Most all the Church Camp staff and probably their charges would be there. Hell I wouldn't miss it for the world. I could leave right that minute for County Seat. I had a place to stay, but then I had a place to stay right were I was.

Message three: Sylvia this is Sam from the Old Man Toy Shop. If you are looking for something to do tonight, come on over to the warehouse. We are going to have a dinner catered by your friend Mel. and then watch the premier of the show.

Well that explained where Mel was. Wilson was probably with his daughter. I hadn't seen either since I shut down the office the week before Christmas. The big plan was to reopen sometime after New Years. Wilson and Mel had moved into the new apartment over the restaurant while the paint was still wet. Mel couldn't wait to get her own place, she said.

Message four: Sylvia it's EZ just calling to wish you and Wilson a Merry Christmas. Call me anytime.

I had to admit that I was bored and lonely, so I went down to look at the bar. It looked very unassuming from the outside except for the doors which had gold leaf letters stating that it had been the 1st Bank of New Wales and it gave the dates of operation. The sign projecting from the wall said simply BEER. It was just understated classy enough that I loved it. I expected The Brit would as well. The more flamboyant Jeremy might not, but fuck him. I had built it to lure The Brit down to New Wales.

I hadn't done anything to the gift shop. I planned to allow Jeremy a free hand with the building. I had already had the two apartments over the building finished. There were five apartments in all. the one above the bank/bar was a luxury apartment, while the other four were small one bedroom units. The big draw was the communal deck There was no way for the tenants to separate it. It they wished to use the deck they were going have to get along.

I walked through the restaurant next. It had tables Mel had't liked at first. I think they had grown on her. The frames were black iron and the tops were stainless steel. It was the motif of the whole place. Black wrought iron and stainless steel was everywhere. Very industrial looking. It contrasted nicely with the old wood and plaster walls. I did just as little new construction as possible and refinished and re-purposed all that I could. Mel decided that people would be tired of turkey quickly. She planned to open two days after Christmas. It was also the day after 'left over day', she called it. She had training her own assistants and according to her they were eager to get started. My guess was eager for the paychecks to start rolling in.

The boat shop was closed of course as was the whole town. The hotel had lights on so I knew they had finally gotten the face lift done. The new owner had poked along till I started on my renovation. Since then the work had been going full speed with long shifts to finish the work. The top two floors were going to be condo units and the lower four floors were going to be luxury apartments. All the amenities with a flash of nostalgia. It was also one of my plans. Oh well, I thought.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.