Southbound - Cover

Southbound

Copyright© 2013 by Coaster2

Chapter 5: Happy New Year

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 5: Happy New Year - There are surprises and then there are SURPRISES. Andy Andrews got both, one on top of the other. It's funny how that happens.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual  

Christmas was awkward. I knew it was going to be and I prepared for it. I sucked it up and phoned Carla, suggesting that I would have the boys at my parents' home on Christmas Eve, while they would spend Christmas Day with her, her parents and Aunt Ruth. I was pleased and relieved that I didn't get any objection from her.

I didn't want to put my mother to the trouble of putting a big dinner together, so I went to my favourite grocery store and ordered a sirloin tip roast beef that I could barbeque that afternoon. I also used the barbeque to roast some potatoes, parsnips, beets, carrots and onions that had been marinating for over a day in a mixture I had learned to make years ago. I weakened and bought a half dozen pre-made Yorkshire puddings from the deli counter. Some fresh hand-peeled shrimp for the appetizer and some of my mother's apple crumble with ice cream and I had a modest feast for the five of us.

I stayed overnight and spent Christmas Day with my parents. It wouldn't be a happy occasion, but I could tell them more about my new job and the impending move. They were pretty upset about that, but grateful at least that Carla hadn't cut them off from their grandsons. I had only one brother and he lived in eastern Canada, seldom venturing to our side of the mountains. We used Skype to stay in touch with each other. Now my parents' only other son would be moving away too.

"You must be pleased that your boss thinks enough of you to give you this opportunity," my dad said as we sipped a pre-dinner drink.

"I am. Surprised is more like it. I wanted to be given the sales responsibility, hopefully for the whole company. I felt I had earned that. But to be given the new plant was not something I had even dreamed about."

"Where are you going to live?" my mother asked. "In Tracy?"

"No ... I don't think so. I've travelled in that area quite a bit and the town doesn't do it for me. It's great as a business location. I think I'll look west of there in Livermore or Pleasanton. It's a more appealing location. At least there are some hills and features there."

"How long do you think you'll be there?" my mother continued with her questioning.

"I don't know that either. Our legal firm in Oakland has applied for a work visa. They don't think it will be a problem since we will be hiring and employing fifty people. It's not like I'm taking someone's job. As far as how long I'm there, I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes. I'd like to get five years in if I can."

"Oh, my," my mother said in surprise. "That's a long time."

I could see the conversation was upsetting her, so I changed the topic to something more upbeat. I would have to remember not to make a big issue out of my leaving soon. For the first three months, I would probably be living in Tracy, but commuting to Langley every two or three weeks. I'd better make sure I stopped in to see my parents each time.

I began the process of clearing my desk with Mike Knowlton during the time between Christmas and New Year's. Leo had appointed him Sales Manager and it meant a nice raise. He'd earned it and I was confident he would do well. All the pieces were in place for him to succeed.

Leo and Paul held a New Year's party at Leo's home, and many of our staff were invited. It was a Saturday night and about thirty of us were having a good time. I would be getting ready to move to California the following week. Fiona would be arriving on Monday afternoon for her orientation visit, and I planned to accompany her back on the Thursday afternoon flight. I had a suite reserved for the month of January at the Microtel in Tracy, a block off I-205 and barely a mile southwest of the plant. It was quiet enough and I could set up camp there until I found something more permanent.

I was going to miss many of the people at the Langley plant. We had a tight, upbeat, friendly workplace and Leo did all he could to keep it that way. I wanted to create the same atmosphere in my new operation. The jury was still out on whether I could pull it together. It would be my biggest test. I couldn't judge the mood of the people yet. To begin with they were worried when we first arrived. Rumours abounded about people being let go and the place possibly closing.

When we made the announcement that we would be expanding and modernizing the operation, I could hear a collective sigh of relief, but it remained to be seen just what the quality of the people would be. Lorne McDermitt assured me that they were good employees, having got rid of the questionable ones as the business contracted. As much as I respected Lorne's opinion, I would have to see for myself. I was the stranger among them, the guy who would be giving the orders. How they would react to me was still an unknown.

I met Fiona as she exited customs in Vancouver on Monday afternoon. Her flight was on time and she looked fresh and energized as she strode toward me, towing her single bag. I was struck once more at how attractive she was. Within a couple of inches of being as tall as I was and with an imposing build. Her hand was extended to me as she approached and we shook. Her grip was firm and dry and her smile was genuine.

"Hi, Andy. How was your holiday break?"

"It was fine, thank you. And yours?"

"I had a nice time with my daughter and my mother. Three hens in the henhouse," she laughed.

"I take it the flight was okay?"

"You didn't tell me the ticket was for business class. I'm not used to that," she smiled once more.

"It's a nice extra once in a while and since I have a boatload of points, Alaska Airlines was happy to accommodate me."

"Well, thank you. I was treated very well."

"We would have to suffer through rush hour traffic if we left for Langley now, so I thought, considering the hour, that we would drive into the city to a restaurant I know and have dinner. Then I'll take you to your hotel."

"Oh my, I'm getting the royal treatment. Lead on, sir."

It was one of those fortunate January nights in Vancouver where the clouds were well above the mountain tops. I headed downtown to the Vista Towers and the revolving restaurant on the thirtieth floor. The view would be spectacular tonight and I wanted to share it with Fiona.

"This is wonderful, Andy. Thank you so much for bringing me here. I can see the snow under the lights on that mountain," she said, pointing toward Grouse Mountain.

"Night skiing," I explained. "Very popular. We claim you can play golf in the afternoon and go skiing in the evening here. I've never tried it."

"I can see the similarities with San Francisco and the differences as well. I'd love to see it in the daytime."

"If the weather holds, you will," I promised.

The dinner was very good and we shared a half-litre of wine. I drove her to the Microtel and made sure she got the room I had reserved. We agreed to meet at seven o'clock the next morning for breakfast and then on to the plant. The timing was Fiona's suggestion. She claimed to be an early bird. I was one as well.

It took me less than an hour to realize how knowledgeable Fiona was with production equipment and methods. As we toured the plant, she was asking questions about anilox rolls, maximum screen print capability, how solventless laminators worked and other arcane information about our production processes. The more time I spent with her, the more I was impressed with the depth of her knowledge and interest. It did nothing but confirm I had a special employee on my hands.

When I took her in to meet Leo, she charmed him in seconds. It was as if he was a prospective client and she was setting him up for the sale. In this case, she was selling herself and it was all over within a few minutes. I sat silently listening to their conversation and it was all I could do to keep from laughing at Leo as he fell under her spell.

"She's something very special, Andy," Leo said seriously when Fiona had excused herself to use the washroom.

"Don't I know it," I admitted. "I knew you'd be impressed. I think I have a superstar on my hands if I'm reading her right."

"I think you're right," Leo said seriously. "Make sure she's well looked after. You don't want to lose her."

"My thoughts exactly. I'm going to spend some time with her in the territory, especially with her existing customer base. I want to know what they think of her."

"One really good sales person can take a lot of pressure off you, Andy. That's something to remember."

"No kidding. She's already tipped me on the current sales force. I've terminated the father and son team and I'm going to be keeping a close watch on Mendes in Bakersfield."

"It's your ship to steer, Andy. I trust your judgement, but don't be afraid to ask for help. Dave and I will be here to do what we can if you run into trouble."

"I know, Leo. You've given me a huge opportunity and the last thing I want to do is let you down."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.