Vortex - Cover

Vortex

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

The doorbell rang at eight o'clock the following morning. Both were having breakfast. Wendy was dressed but Tim was in his dressing gown.

"Who on earth can that be?" asked Tim.

Wendy shrugged and went to answer it. A woman in a trouser suit and a cameraman were standing there.

"Good morning," said the woman before Wendy could speak. "I'm Pippa Williams from the Herald. I'd like to speak to Mr Richards about the attempted jewel robbery yesterday."

"Well, you're much too early," replied Wendy. "He's in the middle of breakfast at the moment. He's still got to have his treatment and then get dressed. It'll be at least an hour before he's ready."

"Oh, that's fine. We'll wait in the car. See you later."

Wendy went back to the kitchen. "Local press," she said. "They'll be back in an hour."

Tim sighed. "I suppose it was inevitable. It'll be the police next to take statements."

It was. They rang at half past eight. Wendy was right in the middle of anointing Tim. She wiped her hands on a tissue and answered the telephone.

"Good morning. Ms Waters?"

"Yes."

"This is Detective-Sergeant Wilson speaking. I need to obtain statements from you and Mr Richards about yesterday's attempted robbery. When would it be convenient to call?"

"Well, we've got the Herald sitting outside till nine. We probably won't be finished with them before ten. How would that suit you?"

"Do we need a solicitor?" Tim interrupted.

"I heard that Ms Waters. That's entirely up to you both but I wouldn't have thought it necessary at this stage. Neither of the accused is seriously injured so we're not speaking about bodily harm or undue force. This is just evidence for the preliminary hearing tomorrow to have them remanded in custody."

"OK so would ten be all right for you?"

"I'll be there Ms Waters. Thank you for your co-operation."

Wendy went back to her ministrations. "While you're shaving I ought to ring Betty," she said. "Would it be all right to invite her for lunch?"

"Of course it would. You'd better check the gin bottle though. Will you be back to give me a sponge bath? Mustn't pong for the press."

Wendy laughed. "Of course I will, you silly man. Miss my daily treat? Do you think I'm dotty?"

They were just ready by nine. Pippa Williams was a pleasant woman. She rode herself and commiserated with Tim over his fall. She questioned him as to the facts and asked whether they had fixed a wedding date. Then suddenly, she stopped and looked at Tim.

"I knew I knew the name," she said. "Your wife was killed in a motorbike accident just over a year ago and ... the driver was..."

"My son," said Wendy flatly.

"Oh my goodness! That's a story in itself." She looked excited.

"I think not," said Tim firmly. "It was something that caused a lot of grief and unhappiness and we really don't want it all brought up again."

She met his eye and saw the steeliness. She looked down again. "I can understand that and respect your wishes. I'm sorry. We newshounds..." she shrugged and smiled.

Tim smiled back. "Thank you, Miss Williams."

She left shortly afterwards. Her subsequent article was truthful, albeit full of praise for Tim, and no mention was made of Jane's death or Rick being Wendy's son.

Sergeant Wilson brought Detective Constable Sue Stewart with him. They did not hang about, refusing the cup of tea that Wendy offered them.

"They'll be appearing before the Magistrates Court tomorrow," Sergeant Wilson said. "It's an open and shut case and the duty solicitor advised them to plead guilty so there should be no need for either of you to appear in court. If they change their mind we'll let you know and a car will collect you and bring you back."

"Thank you," replied Tim. "That's very considerate of you."

"We wouldn't be so considerate if you weren't injured," grinned Sergeant Wilson.

Wendy and Tim laughed.

On the dot of twelve-thirty Betty arrived, through the back door as usual. "Yoo-hoo!" she called.

Wendy ran to meet her. She almost slid to a halt sticking her left hand under Betty's nose.

"That's why we had to pop into Gloucester."

Betty did no more than glance at the ring before she swept Wendy into an embrace and kissed her.

"Oh, Wendy sweety! Wonderful! I'm thrilled for you!" She kissed her again and then held her at arm's length. "Happy?"

Wendy could only nod. Betty pulled her back into another hug.

Tim had followed by this time and Betty launched herself at him. She hugged and kissed him thoroughly too.

"Well done, Tim dearest! Clever boy! Jane must be so happy for you."

Tim nodded, quite unable to speak at Betty's genuine happiness for him and Wendy. He hugged and kissed her back.

She turned back to Wendy. "Now let me look at your ring properly. Oh Wendy! It's beautiful. Absolutely lovely and it's absolutely the right stone to go with your lovely brown eyes. Clever girl!"

"Tim suggested an emerald."

"Well, jolly well done him!"

"I wanted to get a smaller one but he noticed that it was this one that I really loved and insisted that I have it."

"Well done him again!"

She turned a brilliant smile on him. Tim shook his head slightly and looked down at his feet. Wendy's stomach did a somersault. "Oh God, thank you," she thought. "He's so unassuming and I love him so much."

She pulled herself together and shooed Tim and Betty into the drawing room where they both sat on the sofa. Betty turned to him and took his hand.

"I am so pleased for you," she said. "She's a very special girl: sweet, gentle, amusing and full of guts. I've grown to love her dearly and she's a worthy successor to our beloved Jane."

Tim nodded. "Once Jane had given me the go ahead I realised that all the things that I liked and admired about her actually amounted to love."

"I can understand that. When did you propose?"

"The day before yesterday evening. We'd been listening to music and somehow my arm was round her and she gave a big sigh which she said was one of bliss so I teased her and asked if she was a happy 'suitoress' and she said yes and then added very timidly that she'd be an even happier one if I kissed her. I did and then before I knew where I was I told her I loved her and then well..."

Betty smiled. "Lovely," she said. "Really lovely. Ooh, look out! Here she comes. I'd better move or there'll be hissy fits."

"Dead right!" said Wendy and then pealed with happy laughter. She handed them their drinks.

"Now!" said Betty. "When I was on my way to the Farm Shop I saw a police car turn in here. What have you both been up to?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.