Death and Damnation:  Book 2 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Death and Damnation: Book 2 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2013 by Jack Green

Chapter 21: Legacy of Diamonds

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 21: Legacy of Diamonds - This book follows on from Duel and Duality, and how Jack survived the duel is revealed. His life then becomes a series of surprising encounters and episodes. He meets some old friends and makes new ones, including females. He rubs shoulders with writers and meets a military genius. He revisits Waterloo, learns of the aphrodisiacal properties of cheese, and ploughs furrows- and madges. He avoids being fatally seduced, kills several more men, goes on a voyage, and he falls in love, again.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Historical   Tear Jerker   Oral Sex   Violence  

It was the song of a Mistle thrush that woke me. The sound of that bird's blithe, liquid, notes was something I had wakened to most mornings at Greenaway's Farm, and for a moment I thought myself back in the bedroom I had shared with my brothers. However the bed I was lying in was far more spacious and luxurious than the narrow bed of my youth, and then I realised it was the large four poster bed that I had shared with Annette Blanchard. The memory of the happy times we had enjoyed in this bed filled me with pleasure; but then I groaned aloud as I remembered that Annette was dead.

"Jacques, you're conscious. Thank God!" It was Matilde who spoke. She rose from the chair alongside the bed and kissed me; there were tears in her eyes. "I prayed to the Blessed Virgin Mary for your recovery, and it is She we must thank. I will run and tell the others."

Krish was the first to arrive. "Jack! At last – I thought you might never recover." He sounded my chest, listened to my heart, and then asked me questions; my name, how old I was, where he and I had first met, and such like. He sighed with relief as I answered the questions correctly. "I feared the fever you suffered may have affected your reasoning, even though you appear to have made a complete physical recovery. Of course you have lost a deal of weight and musculature, but that can be remedied."

As he put his stethoscope away the three girls entered the room. Chloe ran to me and kissed me warmly. "We have all prayed for this moment, Jacques." I was staring at Mimi, who was cradling a child in her arms.

"Did the news of Woody's death send you into premature birth?" But even to my eyes the child did not look to be a new born babe.

"Jean-Woodrow was born two months ago. You have been in a coma since you arrived back from Valenciennes with a pistol ball in your side. That was November the fifth of last year, – it is now January the tenth, eighteen eighteen!"

I heard what Krish said but could not believe it. He continued talking, while the girls sat on the bed and stroked my face, and kissed me – that was something I could believe.

"I removed the ball from your side without too much difficulty, although two of your ribs were fractured. The problem was that you took a fever, probably caused by some putrefaction on that filthy towel you had used to staunch the flow of blood." He shook his head, as if not understanding my foolishness in choosing such a foul piece of fabric to use as a bandage. "You went first into such a raving mood that I feared for your sanity, and had to tie you to the bed. Then you lapsed into a coma, that has persisted until today. I am minded to write to the New England Medical Journal, to report your length of being comatose; in my experience no man has survived such an extended period."

He looked at the girls and smiled. "Between them these lovely ladies saved your life. I had exhausted all my remedies, and skills, in trying to return you to a state of consciousness. The girls took turns to nurse you – night and day. The problem was we could not get any sustenance down your throat, and you were in danger of dying of starvation." Krish turned to Chloe and Matilde. "Girls, I think it best you leave Jacques to get some rest, and he will be needing some food in a hour. Mimi can stay and introduce her son to him."

I wondered why he had asked the two to leave, but what he said next explained it. "It was Mimi who really saved your life. For weeks she has suckled you, and fed you her milk; without that you would have expired. I will leave the two of you together." With that he left the room. Mimi smiled at my stammered, embarrassed, thanks. "I was honoured to do it Jacques. I had young Jean-Woodrow on one breast, and you on the other; the two most favoured males in my life, now that Woody is no longer with us." There was a tremor in her voice, and I reached out and took her hand. "I could not bear to tell you that he was dead, when I returned to the château. I miss him almost as much as you do."

I didn't know if Krish had told Mimi of Woodrow's marriage, so thought it best to say nothing. "You have given me the gift of life, the greatest gift that any woman can bestow. I haven't words enough to thank you, Mimi. I am now closer to you than any of the women I have ever made love with –including Annette." She beamed with pleasure at my words, then laid Jean-Woodrow down on the bed and hugged and kissed me. "I hope the fact that I've had you sucking on my teat will not mean that you now regard me as your mother?"
"I regard you as someone who has saved my life, – with love and respect."
She picked up her baby from off the bed, gave me another dazzling smile, then left the room.

Later that day Krish, with a serious expression on his face and holding a sheet of paper, came into the bedroom. "I have just received the news that Lord Ashford has died. It means that the title and lands of the Earl of Hungerford will revert to the Crown, unless there is a claimant for the title."

"Is there any possibility that Caroline can keep hold of some of the estate – the house and grounds at Maidstone for instance?"

"That will depend on the Crown Commissioners, who usually do the Prince Regent's bidding. He is always looking for more money to fuel his grandiose building schemes. The Carlton House refurbishment is costing Fat George a fortune, and he is still thinking up new schemes to spend money, money that he doesn't yet have." He shook his head in resignation. "I fear the worst, which is why I will have to return to London straight away, and keep Caroline informed of what transpires. There are always claimants for a vacant title, usually spurious, but every claimant has to be investigated, which will allow time for Caroline to return to England. She will have been made aware of her father's death, and when she reaches London will probably make a personal appeal to the King. Occasionally he is compos mentis, and she may persuade him to allow her to retain some of the land – at least her family home in Kent." I felt impotent, lying helpless in my bed while the woman who I had loved – and probably still did –had her titles and lands taken from her.

"I will set off for England in the morning," Krish said, "and leave you in the capable care of the three girls. It will be a slow recovery, and you need to build up your strength. I would think it at least two months before you will be fit enough to travel, and even then not riding but by coach." He smiled broadly "And at least three months before you do any galloping!" He paused on his way to the door. "As I surmised, the letters Caroline wrote to you were diverted to the First battalion of the regiment at Carlow. I hope that the letter I wrote to their adjutant will be acted upon, and he will arrange for your mail be re- directed to the Bureau."

Krish was right about many things; the fact that Caroline had written to me being one, the other that I needed to build up my strength. I had only been awake a few hours, and after a bite to eat I could not keep my eyes open. Matilde, who had fed me with a spoon, had only just left the room when I fell into a deep sleep. My dreams were a kaleidoscope of ships, fire, and the faces of Caroline Ashford, Annette Blanchard – and Eloise de La Zouche.

The next time I awoke it was dark. A lighted candelabra sent flickering, fluttering shadows over the wall, and I saw Mimi was sat alongside my bed suckling little Woody, completely absorbed in the task of feeding her baby. The candles threw a golden light onto the pair, and I gazed at them in wonderment. They made a tableau that could well have been The Madonna and Child, and I knew that I could never contemplate having a sexual relationship with Mimi, not after she had nursed me as she now did her son.

Mimi suddenly looked up from watching her baby sucking mightily on her teat. "He guzzles like a toper, whereas you were gentle, and less greedy." She smiled that sweet soft smile of a loving mother. "I know that I may never share your sausage, or drink Medoc together, as you have done with Chloe and Matilde, but I am happy that I have shared even more of myself with you than they have." She leaned over, and kissed me warmly on my lips. As she did her teat slipped out of little Woody's grasping mouth, and he gave a loud cry of annoyance. We both laughed, and Mimi replaced her nipple between her baby's eager lips, and his noisy and contented sucking resumed.

Over the days my strength gradually increased, but it was a week before I could get from my bed unaided, and even then all I could manage was to walk to a chair in the bedroom. My brain must have been affected by the fever I had endured, as it was only when I was sat in the chair, listening to the girls talking about the supplies they needed to buy for the spring sowing, that I remembered the diamonds I had taken from de La Zouche.
"Where is that bag I had with me when I returned from Valenciennes?"

"What, that bag of buttons?" Chloe replied. "I sewed them all back onto Pierre's uniform, and then replaced it on the stand in the hall."

"There's a fortune on that uniform. It was the buttons that de La Zouche came to the château to steal. Each button contains a diamond – you are all rich!"

Matilde quickly ran downstairs and returned with the jacket. I caught hold of a button shank and tried pulling the button top. Nothing happened, until I gave the button a slight twist, then the top opened, revealing a lustrous blue tinted diamond sitting in the button cavity. I took the gem between finger and thumb, holding it up to the light so that the girls could see the colour.

"Each button conceals a stone like this. Let us open them all."

The girls' nimble fingers soon had all twenty gems laying on the bed cover.

"They do not have much of a sparkle. Are they really diamonds?" Matilde's voice held disappointment.

"These are diamonds that were discovered many hundreds of years ago. The Ancients did not possess the skills to cut them, as our craftsmen do today. A diamond cutter in Antwerp will be able to make these sparkle like dewdrops in the sun."

"How much do you think they are worth?" Chloe asked, her eyes wide with astonishment at the colours of the diamonds.

I picked up the diamond that de La Zouche had showed me in the Golden Lion. "I have no idea of the total, but de La Zouche boasted that he would be able to buy weapons and clothes, his passage to India, and grease the palms of officials to turn a blind eye, just by selling this one stone. In fact the hoard was to be spent on purchasing an army for Bonaparte to conquer India."

"I know someone who will be able to put a price on these diamonds, and might even be able to sell them for us." Mimi had finished feeding Jean-Woodrow, and had returned to the room after laying him in his cot. "Monsieur Hulot bought a diamond pendant for Brigitte last year in Antwerp. According to her he is quite knowledgeable on the subject of gem stones."

"We need to sell at least one stone soon, to pay for seed, and labour, for the spring sowing." Matilde said. "The ploughman we had last year is unavailable – although I thought him a feckless layabout!" We all joined in the laughter, and Matilde came and kissed me, to show she spoke in jest. Then Chloe came and kissed me, and then finally Mimi.
"Well girls." I retorted, "last year's ploughman was constantly being interrupted when trying to plough a furrow. It's a wonder anything came to fruition, what with all the diversions the poor man had to contend with." Then I went and kissed each girl in turn, to show that I too spoke in jest.

Several days passed before Monsieur Hulot was able to visit the château. It had been a hard winter, and he had more than enough customers to deal with. His look of amazement and surprise when I showed him the hoard of diamonds was something to behold.

"These are magnificent!" He brought a jewellers loupe from his pocket and examined each diamond intently. It took some time, and he muttered to himself - 'formidable', 'magnifique' - as he perused the stones. Eventually he put the loupe back into his pocket.

"I can truthfully say that these are the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen. They are all at least five carets, and are of the finest water. That is the highest grade of diamonds, only awarded to those with perfect transparency and clearness. All have a pronounced and beautiful colour, and on account of both their rarity and beauty they will be greatly sought after, commanding the highest of prices. Once cut and polished their value will triple. The dealers in Antwerp will snap your hand off to purchase these beauties. I think that you would be able to name your own price for the reds and greens."

"How long will it take to contact a dealer in Antwerp? Money is needed immediately for the spring sowing."

Hulot thought for a few moments. "I could get a message to a dealer I know in Antwerp in a week or so, but of course I can't say if, or when, he would travel to view the diamond. However, I'm willing to advance any monies required, and be reimbursed after the sale of the diamond." I thought that extremely generous of him, and said so.
"I have always held a deep respect and high regard for the Blanchards, besides which my wife is a great friend of Mimi Renoir." Hercule smiled ruefully. "An older husband must ensure that a young and pretty wife always has reasons to reward him."

After Hercule Hulot had left to claim his reward I re-joined the three girls in the study. We had got into the habit of retiring to the room after dinner, and discussing the day's events.
Chloe had taken over the management of the estate, with François as her assistant, while Matilde ran the house. Of course Mimi had Jean-Woodrow to take care of, but she helped Matilde when she could. I told them that Hercule Hulot would advance any money that was required, and that it should be allocated according to the priority of the work.

"Before we decide on how to spend the money from the diamonds I should like to say something." Mimi got from her chair and stood to one side of the fireplace. "As you know Madame Annette made a stipulation in her will that the first male child born to any of us girls was to be given the surname of Blanchard, and in due course become Master of Blanchards." Chloe and Matilde nodded. "My son, Jean-Woodrow Renoir Blanchard, will be the next Master, but meantime the three of us have equal say in the running of the château and estate." Once again the other two girls nodded, and I realised that Mimi was giving this speech for my benefit.

"It seems that selling the diamonds will bring us a fortune, more than is needed for the upkeep of the estate, and I suggest that half the diamonds be given to Jacques!"

My jaw dropped open in surprise as Chloe and Matilde clapped their hands in agreement with Mimi.

"Those diamonds were given to Pierre by Marshal Berthier, probably to hand on to Annette; I couldn't possibly have any of them."

"Nonsense! If you hadn't returned Pierre's body those diamonds would never have seen the light of day. In any case Annette loved you, and she would have wanted to share them with you. We three girls love you, and we also want to share them with you." Mimi came over and kissed me firmly on my mouth. Then Chloe and Matilde came and kissed me, the latter using her tongue with great effect, the little minx!


At the beginning of February young Jean-Woodrow was christened. I knew that Papists have their children christened as soon after the birth as possible, and was somewhat surprised to learn that he had not yet been baptised. The reason became obvious when Mimi asked that I be Jean-Woodrow's Godfather.

"I prayed to The Holy Mother that you would live, so that you could be little Woody's Godfather. She has granted my prayer."

I was humbled, honoured, and flattered, and readily agreed, but then I asked something that had been bothering me. "Tell me, Mimi, did you intend having Woody Allen's child, or was it an – err – oversight?"

She laughed out loud. "An oversight – what a typical English word. No, my dear Jacques, after the first time with Woody I knew I wanted his child. I had taken precautions to prevent pregnancy that first night, but I fell so heavily in love with him I wanted a part of him with me always. The second night I went to him ready, willing, and able to conceive." Mimi smiled to herself as she remembered the night. "A woman can always tell when the man has fertilised her, or so the wise women claim. I knew when it happened to me, and it was the most wonderful thing that I had ever experienced. Of course since then I have given birth, which is even more wonderful, even with the pain of bringing a life into the world."

After the christening ceremony, where Jean-Woodrow behaved impeccably, and was cooed over and kissed by, it seemed, all the females of Wallers and Valenciennes. By now Hercule Hulot had sold several diamonds, from both the girls' and my share, and the château was fully staffed with domestics, and the estate with farm workers. The spring ploughing would go ahead on time, and the stables and workshops of the château were in process of being repaired.

Mimi was the centre of attention, well she shared the stage with Jean-Woodrow, and there was a crowd of young, and not so young, men around her. As a mother of an illegitimate child her prospects of marriage would have been nil, but as the mother of the Master-in-waiting of Blanchard she could take her pick of the highest in society. Chloe also had an attentive gathering of young men, and young women, around her, and she distributed her attention to both genders in equal amounts. In contrast Matilde hardly ever left my side. She had linked her arm in mine as soon as we had left the chapel after the christening service, and made it plain to all who approached her that she had the man she wanted. I was pleased by her obvious affection –love—for me, although somewhat concerned that, although I was extremely fond of her, I did not hold those feelings that I had held for Amy, Caroline or Annette.

Hercule took me aside in the dining room, giving me chance to disentangle myself from Matilde. "I think it wise that you hold on to the rest of the diamonds for a year or two. I've used different dealers to sell the diamonds, but they pass on information to one another, and now the industry is aware that a hoard of first water diamonds is being offered for sale. The price that dealers are prepared to bid will fall, if they think more of the same are to be put onto the market." He looked around to see if anyone was listening to our conversation. "There are rumours that Cleopatra's Diamonds have been discovered?" He looked at me with a question in his eyes, and I gave a slight nod.

"Sacre bleu! I thought as much. I could see that the stones had only been polished, as in the ancient form. Our forebears believed diamonds were a gift from the Gods, and to cut them was thought to be sacrilegious, besides being unlucky. If they were re-cut in a modern, brilliant, style they would be even more lustrous, and command an even high price than those already sold. However the ancient form of the stones is something we should treasure."

"Out with it, Hercule, I know you have more to say on this subject."

"Mon Dieu, Jacques, you are able to read me as well as Brigitte. Yes, I have a suggestion to make regarding those two red diamonds in the collection." He paused as he considered his words. "The Revolution almost destroyed the historical archives and collections of France. Those great collections, of books and paintings, and other beautiful artefacts amassed by the aristocrats, were plundered. Some of the looted property is now being returned, and the Louvre Museum is looking for exhibits to display. I suggest you donate one of the red diamonds to the museum; there is practically no difference in size, transparency or colour between the two. Call it The Blanchard Diamond, in memory of a great lady, Madame Annette Blanchard."

"That is a fine idea, Hercule, and I will discuss it with the girls at the earliest opportunity."

I broached the subject, of donating a diamond to the museum, to the girls that evening in the study. They all agreed, until I said it would be from my share that the diamond would be taken. However, by my assertion, that as Annette's lover I had the most right to donate the gem, and that I would insist it would be notified as being given by The Blanchard Family – which they, and now I, considered ourselves – I won the argument.

The day had been very fatiguing for me, and I was still weak. I determined, as I was helped up the stairs to my bed by Matilde, that from the morrow I would engage in a strict regime to build up my strength and stamina. I decided that I would start by walking at least a furlong a day, gradually increasing the distance until I could walk to Wallers and back, a matter of some four miles, without experiencing fatigue. I also needed a more physical activity to regain my strength, than just walking, and that would be accomplished by lifting sacks of grain in the stable, increasing the length of the exercise as my vigour returned. When I told the girls next morning at breakfast they were all in agreement.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.