Death and Damnation:  Book 2 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Death and Damnation: Book 2 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2013 by Jack Green

Chapter 1: The Ante-room

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 1: The Ante-room - This book follows on from Duel and Duality, and how Jack survived the duel is revealed. His life then becomes a series of surprising encounters and episodes. He meets some old friends and makes new ones, including females. He rubs shoulders with writers and meets a military genius. He revisits Waterloo, learns of the aphrodisiacal properties of cheese, and ploughs furrows- and madges. He avoids being fatally seduced, kills several more men, goes on a voyage, and he falls in love, again.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Historical   Tear Jerker   Oral Sex   Violence  

The chair was hard and uncomfortable. It well may have been one of Mr Chippendale's finest designs, heavily brocaded and tasselled, but after being sat in the damned thing for over two hours my buttocks were numb, and I longed to get up to stretch and stride about. Unfortunately such behaviour would be frowned upon in this place, the ante-room to the office of the Commander in Chief of His Britannic Majesty's Army.

However, the enforced idleness had given me the opportunity to review the events which had led me here.

Seven days had passed since the duel with Braxton-Clark, and the shock of seeing the pistol ball, which should have been loaded into his pistol, nestled in Caroline Vanner's palm, was still a palpable feeling.


As I had stood there, gazing in astonishment at the ball in Caroline's hand, she leaned further from out of the coach window and kissed me firmly and warmly on my lips."I must leave immediately, sweetheart. Krish will explain everything to you!"

With those puzzling words she withdrew back into the coach; a postilion came to stow the steps away, and I stood and watched as the coach set off at a trot towards the Great West Road.

I was still standing there, bemused and bewildered, when Billy Bassett rode up, leading my horse.

"Come now Jack, I'm famished, and there will be a good breakfast awaiting us back in the Mess."

"Damn it man! Can you think of nothing but your belly?" I snapped irritably, and was immediately contrite.

"Forgive me Billy; I've had something of a shock. Where is Surgeon Armityge?"

Billy laughed. "No offence taken, Jack. It's not every day a man faces death, and you have every right to be shocked—-and I do think too much of my belly. As for Armityge, I saw him following the cart bearing the body of the late, unlamented, Braxton-Clark. I expect the surgeon has certificates to complete regarding the death. No doubt we will see him at breakfast."

Billy was silent on the ride back to the barracks, and I turned over in my head the various pieces of the information I had just learned. Caroline Vanner was in reality Caroline Braxton–Clark. It seemed that her 'rich protector' was Jarvis Braxton-Clark, and as she had referred to Armityge as 'Krish' it was a fair assumption on my part to think him her lover.

I had been used as a dupe, to rid Caroline Braxton-Clark of her husband, so that she and her lover could ride off together.
But she had called me 'sweetheart' before leaving, and the kiss she had given me had been warm and tender.

I knew that Caroline had been an actress, but if the feelings she displayed last night were feigned then she must be the finest actress alive. I couldn't really believe that Krish would do such an underhand thing as to make me the murderer of his lover's husband; nor that the woman, who had made love with me and to me last night, could have been acting.

There was also my lack of skill as a marksman to consider. If Krish and Caroline had meant to have Braxton-Clark killed in the duel then my inexperience with a pistol would make me the most unlikely of assassins.

All these thoughts swirled around in my head on that ride. One moment I cursed them, and myself, for being duped into their murderous plot. The next moment I believed it was some jape that Krish had devised at my expense, by passing the pistol ball to Caroline; and that Jarvis Braxton-Clark had really missed his target, and that Caroline really did love me.
Then the doubts would come flooding back. She called him 'Krish', a name reserved for his closest and dearest friend, and why would anyone pretend to have taken the ball from a pistol that was to be used in a duel?

I was still wrestling with these questions when we arrived back at barracks. As Billy and I dismounted a cornet from the Eighth Dragoons approached us.

"By your leave, gentlemen. I am ordered to conduct Captain Greenaway to Colonel Merrygan's office."

"Hold hard, young Nixon! Neither Captain Greenaway nor I have had breakfast yet."

"I'm sorry Captain Bassett, but my orders were to escort Captain Greenaway to Colonel Merrygan's office immediately the Captain returned to barracks."

I could see that the young cornet, barely out of Eton, was embarrassed at having to insist that I accompany him right away.

"That's alright Billy. I'm sure your Colonel will not keep me long from my breakfast."

"I'll come with you," growled Billy, and we stepped into Colonel Merrygan's office together.

I was surprised to see Major Bywaters, seated in a chair at the side of a desk, from behind which Colonel Merrygan glowered at me.

"It's none of my business what officers of other regiments indulge in, but a death means the senior officer of the barracks must take control, regardless of the regiments involved. I've asked Major Bywaters to sit in on my deliberations as a matter of courtesy. As for you, Captain Bassett, I did not ask that you attend me."

"Colonel, I assume this meeting is concerned with the duel just concluded. I was acting as second to Captain Greenaway, and I am therefore a witness to all of the circumstances. I think that allows me to remain, Sir!"

Merrygan nodded wearily."You'd make a damn good lawyer Billy, and yes, you are a witness. I have a statement from Captain Maddox, and one from Surgeon Armityge, who has since been ordered to London."

"When did he leave, sir?" I blurted out. "Did he leave any message for me?"

Merrygan looked at me sourly."I have no idea, on either of your questions. Meantime I ask that you, and Captain Bassett, each write a statement of events. Once I have all the relevant statements I will forward them to Horse Guards with my recommendations. As you know I am a firm believer that duels should not be fought by serving officers. The Duke of Wellington is of like mind, and his orders have been disobeyed in this instance."

Before he could go on Black Fred Bywaters interposed.

"Actually, Colonel, the noble Duke's orders were applicable only to the army he commanded, in the Peninsula and at Waterloo. Here in England the army is commanded by the Commander in Chief (C in C), who, as we all know, has a more relaxed outlook on duelling."

"Damn it all!" Colonel Merrygan exploded, "are there any more blasted lawyers in the room?"

I could have informed him that my brother was a lawyer, but I wisely kept silent.

Colonel Merrygan continued more calmly, his angry spate over.

"Well, I shall send the statements to the C in C and await his decision. In the meantime I have to place you, Greenaway, under open arrest." He stared at me. "Do I have your word of honour that you will not absent yourself from barracks?"

I nodded. "Yes, Colonel."

"Captain Bassett will accompany you at all times when you leave your room. You are suspended from all duties, until the C in C has made a decision on your future."

Black Fred nodded in agreement, and Billy and I were then free to break our fast.


"Captain Greenaway!" The insistent voice of a young aide de camp (ADC) brought me swiftly from the past to the present. "The Commander in Chief will see you now. Please follow me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.