Lightning in a Bottle
Chapter 1: The First Practice

Copyright© 2012 by Sage Mullins

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 1: The First Practice - Patrick O'Malley, a 44-year old former musician, is quite happy with his life as a twice-divorced, middle-aged playboy. Suddenly, he finds himself sent back in time to a point a few days past his 17th birthday. He also discovers that things are not quite the same this time around. The "violent" code applies only to a single incident. The FF is implied and happens off-screen.

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Time Travel   DoOver   Interracial   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Violence   School  

August 30, 2007

Secaucus, New Jersey

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the roll of duct tape flying in my direction, and flinched just enough to avoid getting clocked upside the head. "Hey!" I barked in Dave's direction. "Are you trying to knock me out cold?"

"You asked for it, didn't you?" he replied, feigning nonchalance.

"You sneaky ingrate lowlife," I shot back. "Never trust a drummer. Now I know why they always put the drummer in the back."

"Well, I can assure you it's not because I want to check out your ass." I just grinned and shook my head.

Such repartee was the norm between Dave Mancuso and myself. We'd been friends since childhood, growing up in the same suburban South Jersey neighborhood. We were both raised by traditional Catholic parents, his Italian, mine Irish. Although we were the same age, we'd gone to different high schools, but attended college together. Since graduating more than twenty years ago, I'd done well for myself, at least professionally. I'd landed a job with a manufacturing firm right across the Hudson River from Manhattan. I'd put in the requisite 80-hour work weeks and pushed my way up to a middle management position. I'd invested well, and was able to afford a nice home, on two acres of land, in an upper-middle class neighborhood out in Morris County. This was in spite of the insanely high property costs in North Jersey, and the fact that I was paying alimony to two women.

Ah, yes, my personal life. At 44, I was a two-time loser in the marriage department, and had been single by choice for the past nine years. My first wife, after two years of marriage, up and left me for another man. Well, there was more to the story than that. This "other man" claimed to be a "cured" homosexual; he unceremoniously dumped his male lover in much the same way that Melissa had dumped me. Melissa fell for his story hook, line, and sinker, and declared it true love. Of course, the predictable happened. Mr. "Cured" turned out to be not cured at all, and eight months after our divorce, Melissa begged for me to take her back. But the soap opera ended there, for I was already engaged to Michelle. I never believed in pining away after lost loves.

Michelle and I made it to our sixth anniversary, and no further. The problem, in a word, was children. She wanted 'em, I didn't. Of course, I told her that going in, but she figured she could change me. Silly girl. Since then, I'd had my share of female companions, but I allowed none of those companionships to get too serious. Shannon, my current interest, seemed bent on tying me down; I was trying to find ways to discourage her without chasing her away. Hey, the sex was pretty damn good.

Dave, meanwhile, had had his share of ups and downs. He was a second shift supervisor at a chemical plant in Linden, a short hop down the turnpike from where I worked. He had never married, although he went through women like an office laser printer goes through paper. His close friendship with the liquor bottle was a constant source of concern for me. He'd done two stints in rehab, seemed to be doing better nowadays, but because of his past, I was determined to do all I could to see that he didn't get carried away with the booze.

I walked over to the other side of the room and picked up the errant roll of tape. Ripping off a long piece of the ubiquitous shiny gray stuff, I used it to secure the cords springing forth from my keyboard and sprawling all over the floor. Years of working in an industrial setting had taught me all about tripping hazards, to the point where I'd become paranoid. Of course, Dave saw fit to point this out.

"Well, look at Mr. Safety Conscious. A bit anal, aren't we? Isn't this just a practice?"

I didn't favor him with a verbal response, instead hurling the tape back in his direction. As he went into a pitcher's windup to re-deliver the tape roll directly at my person, a voice yelled at us, "Boys! Boys! No horseplay on the job!" followed up with a hearty laugh. It was another long-time friend of mine, Paul Li, and three-fifths of our somewhat makeshift rock and roll band was in the house. He was accompanied by his wife, Jasmine, who was the brains behind putting this whole gig together.

Paul and I had gone to high school together. Our paths remained joined through college, and the duration of our professional lives up till now. He was an engineer who was employed by the same company as I. He'd been married to Jasmine for seven years; they had a five-year-old son. In many ways, he was your stereotypical Chinese-American nerd; brainy, somewhat introverted, mathematical, with old-style values. But not entirely ... he could play a mean bass, and if our company ever gave a best-dressed award, he'd win it, hands down. Right now, he was sporting a starched and well-ironed tan shirt, a sharp pair of dark brown slacks, and perfectly polished dress shoes. His hair was slicked back and meticulously groomed. All for a band practice.

Jasmine, meanwhile, was a small wisp of a woman who was the embodiment of "perky". She'd caught the tail end of my facetious exchange with Dave about safety, which provided a perfect segue into what was on her mind.

"Hey, guys," she said to Dave and I, "speaking of workplace safety. Since my employer is sponsoring this event, I need you to sign off on this liability waiver." She worked at a nearby accounting firm.

"A liability waiver?" crowed Dave. "For a freakin' talent show?" Nonetheless, he took the paperwork from Jasmine and scrawled his name on the dotted line.

"Yup, and you, too, Pat," she replied, pushing the papers in my direction. Grabbing the pen from Dave, I signed "Patrick O'Malley", or rather, its equivalent in chicken scratch. I noted that Paul's signature was already there, and there was space for two more.

"Two more signatures?" I muttered.

"That's right. Evie and our mystery performer."

"Christ," I commented, "All of us have to sign this? Bureaucracy at its finest. Since this a work related event, why don't we just bring OSHA in here to run a full inspection?"

"Hey now," Jasmine responded dryly, "I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em."

Shortly thereafter, Paul was helping Dave set up, while Jasmine was nearby, still fumbling with paperwork. I was in my own little world, fiddling around with my keyboard, making sure it still worked the way it was supposed to. After all, it had been in mothballs for at least a decade. There was an entrance to the room not far from where Dave and Paul were setting up, and all of a sudden, I heard a loud scream emanating from that direction. Startled, I looked up from my keyboard. The person doing the screaming threw her arms around Dave, then Paul.

"It's Evie!" Dave proclaimed. "The gang's all here."

I raced over to join the hugfest. Damn, I was happy to see Evie. What had it been ... ten, eleven, twelve years? When she approached me, I told her, "Uh uh hon ... a hug isn't gonna cut it." I squeezed both sides of her face and planted a big wet kiss right on her mouth. By now, Dave had hooked up a microphone, and he bellowed into it, "TESTING-HEY-YOU-TWO-GET-A-ROOM."

I stepped back while Paul introduced Evie to Jasmine. Once that little formality was taken care of, Dave piped in, "So, Evie ... how'd you talk hubby into springing you loose for a few days?"

"Actually," she replied, "Vince wanted to come. But he had to fly out to Seattle yesterday on short notice. You know the life of a salesperson."

"And the kids?"

"Staying with the in-laws."

Evie (rhymes with Chevy) Haines was a peach of a person; she hadn't an enemy on the planet. A self-professed "black rock chick", she could play one hell of a mean saxophone, and was a pretty fair vocalist as well. This was in spite of her being scarcely five feet tall. The intervening years had treated her well physically; she still had the same rich cocoa complexion and the same compact yet slender figure I remembered from our college years. She had on a form-fitting pair of jeans, a white T-shirt that was cut low enough to show a hint of cleavage, and two-inch heels. Her dark brown hair fell loosely down around her shoulders, highlighted with caramel and honey hues.

Back in college, Evie had pretty much been my closest friend. She'd gone to high school with Dave, and only knew him casually at the time; I didn't know her at all till college. When we were in the process of putting together our band during freshman year, Dave recalled watching Evie wail away on the sax at some high school variety show. He had heard she'd gone to Rutgers as well, and had hunted her down. She'd been ecstatic to join us, and as I got to know her, she became my sounding board, even after the demise of our band. Although neither she nor I had any long-lasting romantic involvements while in college, our friendship remained platonic, and I always felt like it was for the best. I didn't want anything to jeopardize that friendship, because it meant too much to me. But as often happens with platonic male-female friendships, when one party finds a significant other, the closeness quickly evaporates. In this case, it was Evie who struck gold; shortly after graduation, she met the man she would marry, and moved out to Illinois to be with him. She managed to parlay a bachelor's degree in communications into a high-profile job as an on-air reporter for one of the Chicago TV stations. We talked often over the phone at first, but as the years went by, our contact slacked off until our only means of keeping in touch was the annual Christmas card.

As soon as the opportunity presented itself, I pulled Evie aside. "You're looking great," I told her sincerely. "While you're here, we need to get together and catch up."

"Hmm," she demurred; she was a humble woman and didn't take compliments well. Scanning me over appraisingly, she replied, "You're looking good, too, but where did that come from?" She playfully gave my middle-age paunch a backhanded swat.

"Not enough sex, I guess."

"Yeah, right. Who's this Shannon I keep hearing about?" she grinned.

Well, with my fair complexion, it doesn't take much for me to blush noticeably. "Ah. I see Dave has already opened his big trap."

"You'll have to fill me in later," she winked, "and yes, we do have to get together for lunch or something. But tell me something else. Who's this mystery guest who's allegedly joining us for this little show?"

"Now that," I snorted, "is the sixty-four dollar question. I really have no idea. Jasmine knows, but she isn't saying a word. Paul knows, too, but if he gives away the secret, Jaz will cut off his balls. Basically, you, me and Dave are in the dark. I've deduced that she's probably female, but beyond that, I haven't the foggiest."

"Hmm ... I guess we'll find out soon enough."

"One thing, though ... this person insisted on choosing our material. That's part of the deal. I've been made privy to one of the songs we'll be doing. I'm not at liberty to disclose it yet, but I'll tell you this much ... I do not care for this song choice, not at all."

"It could be worse," Evie pointed out. "It could be worse. At least there's no Bud McMillan this time around."

"True," I replied, my thoughts turning back briefly to an earlier point in time. Bud McMillan. A first-class asshole. There was little doubt that he'd been responsible for the ruination of our band back at college. In fact, in my opinion, he'd doomed us to failure as soon as we got started.


Dave, Paul and I had started jamming together, strictly for fun, in the garage of Dave's house, during our last year of high school. After Evie started playing with us early in our college lives, we realized we were one competent lead guitarist away from being able to put together a pretty decent band. And so, I posted a notice on the bulletin board in the student center: LEAD GUITARIST WANTED.

Enter Bud McMillan. He was the only one to reply. He was an arrogant freshman who'd just been accepted into a fraternity, although he didn't live in the frat house; he stayed in a dorm his freshman year. Despite his obnoxious and thoroughly unlikable personality, we found him to be a pretty good guitarist and a passable vocalist. But he couldn't sing as well as he thought he could, and here was where the first problem came in. Up till then, Evie and I had handled the vocals. I felt strongly – and Dave, Paul and Evie had privately agreed with me – that I was at least his equal as a vocalist, if not superior. But Bud wouldn't hear of it. He was a rock god, and you know why? Because he said so. And he was never wrong. Before too long, Bud was calling all the shots. And we were dumb enough to allow it.

Another thing about Bud ... he was physically imposing. He stood six-foot-four, had played football in high school, and worked out like a demon. He was one large, well-sculpted, muscular dude. Height-wise, he had six inches on me, and back then, I was all skin and bones. Being at a physical disadvantage isn't the problem in college that it is in high school, but even so, I didn't want to push him too far. Dave, a first-class wise-cracker even back then, nevertheless was a non-confrontational follower at heart. Paul was terminally reserved. Evie, in her quiet dignified manner, often got her point across, but when muscle was needed, there was a silent understanding among us all that I would have to provide it. And where Bud was concerned, it didn't seem as though I was up to the task.

Personality issues aside, our band lineup was set. We had Bud as lead guitarist and male vocalist, Paul on the bass, Evie alternately handling the sax and female vocals, Dave on the drums, and yours truly on the keyboard. We would have liked to have had one more guitarist, but we made do pretty well with what we had. Before too long, we were playing at dorm parties and the like. Bud managed to wrest even more control from us by using his fraternity connections to secure us a place to practice. One of his frat brothers had a close relative who managed a warehouse; this business had recently been "downsized" (to use a word that was not in vogue at the time), and as a result, over half of the building was empty. We were offered unlimited use of a vacant store room in the unused part of the warehouse. The quarters were a bit tight, but it was functional, and above all, it was free. At least in the monetary sense. It was Bud's doing, and as distasteful as it was, we all owed him one.

And then, there was the matter of a name for our band. One Saturday afternoon, we all were sitting around, trying to come up with one we could agree on, and getting nowhere. We were starting to get frustrated and pissy with each other, when Paul, our resident intellectual, tossed out an innocuous remark that sounded like it was paraphrased from a chemistry textbook. "Come on, people. We need to muster up the activation energy to get over this barrier."

"I do believe we have a winner," I exclaimed.

"Huh?" the others all chimed in, confused.

"Activation Energy. That's perfect!"

Everyone, Bud included, concurred. And thus was Activation Energy christened.

To start with, we built our song list up to about thirty or forty songs. This was 1982, and we stuck with what was popular at the time ... stuff from artists like The Police, Journey, The Go-Go's, Billy Idol and the like. Personally, I always considered the music of the early eighties to be rather lightweight, and in the beginning, I lobbied to include older stuff from the sixties and seventies. But I was outvoted on that point, four to one, and we would remain a contemporary cover band.

But we were decent, and as we practiced, we got better. Our reputation spread, mostly through word of mouth, and by the end of the spring semester we were doing a party somewhere almost every weekend. That summer, all of us stayed in the area, and we ended up doing some off-campus gigs, and even a couple down the shore. Paul and I handled matters on the business end. Things were looking up for us.

But the end came swiftly, in the early part of sophomore year. Bud moved into his fraternity house. This event, as insignificant as it seemed, had a far-reaching effect. His frat brothers began to give him crap about the amount of time he was spending with us scrubs. But more importantly, his frat-related connections, which had come to our rescue the year before, turned out to be toxic this time around. The culprit: alcohol.

You see, Bud began to use said connections to tap into a practically limitless supply of booze. The drinking age in New Jersey had been raised from 18 to 21 a few years previously, so we were all technically underage. And don't get me wrong, we didn't all turn into a bunch of party-animal alcoholics. Bud, however, made sure to bring along a couple of six-packs of beer to each practice, and often brought harder stuff too. Evie and Paul rarely touched it. I might have had one beer per practice, but that would be it for me. The three of us did take our music seriously. But Bud would typically be shitfaced by the end of each practice. And Dave, whose affinity for booze would haunt him in later years, generally was not far behind. Our practices became less and less productive, and the quality of our music began to suffer.

And so, one day, I'd had enough, and I called Bud out. On the spur of the moment, without talking to the others, I laid into him verbally, telling him to keep the booze away from our practices. He fired back at me, calling me an ungrateful little prick, and accused me of trying to undermine his position as front man.

I have a temper. I always have, although I've learned to control it much better. And nothing pisses me off more than having my integrity unjustly brought into question. I took a swing at him, and before we knew it, the punches were flying. And did I mention that Bud was much bigger than I was? Before Dave and Paul were able to break us apart, I'd suffered a nasty cut on the inside of my mouth which required stitches. I also needed some expensive dental work (which didn't sit too well with Mom and Dad), and sported a nice shiner for a few days. Bud pretty much emerged from the fistfight unscathed.

Sadly, that was curtains for Activation Energy. Bud completely blew us off; I never saw him again after that, and I can't say I was too upset about that development. But for a time, I lost both Paul and Dave as friends. Paul felt I had acted on my own, and even though he agreed with me in principle, he felt that my temper had ruined it for all of us. Dave? More than anything else, he was upset that his supply of beer was gone, and he sided with Paul. Evie, bless her heart, stuck by me. But it wasn't until senior year that I was able to fully patch things up with Paul and Dave; eventually, and thankfully, both came around to my way of thinking. The remaining four of us occasionally played together during our final year of college, for fun, but we never got serious about it. And then we all graduated, and as so often happens when one leaves college and enters the real world, other things took precedence.

And so it was, this Thursday night before Labor Day weekend, Evie, Dave, Paul and myself were about to reunite musically, as middle-agers, for the first time in over twenty years. The occasion was, as Dave had put it, actually nothing more than a talent show. Several local companies and other organizations had come together and organized this event. Each entity put together a musical act consisting at least partly of its employees or members. A panel of judges was to select the winners. First place would take home a thousand dollars, the runner-up would get five hundred, and third place was good for a hundred. Admission would be charged, and all proceeds were to go to charity.

The four of us, and the mysterious unknown fifth person, would represent Jasmine's employer. All we knew about the fifth person was that she (?) was a co-worker of Jasmine's, a talented singer and guitarist who had no one else to perform with. With no other musically-inclined co-workers at her disposal, Jasmine had quickly recruited Paul, Dave and I to help out. On a whim, we gave Evie a call, not really expecting her to fly in from Chicago to join us. But when we asked her, she was delighted at the opportunity to relive our college memories.

Bud McMillan's participation in the reunion performance was not in the cards. (Not that we would have asked him, anyhow.) After graduation, Bud had gone into high finance and landed a position on Wall Street. A few years previously, he'd been the centerpiece in a major financial scandal. We're talking insider trading, kickbacks, hush money, the whole shebang. It had been a front-page news story, and our friend Bud had landed himself behind bars for a good long time.

The show was this coming Saturday night, which pretty much gave us 48 hours to start from scratch, shake off the cobwebs, and put together a decent ten-minute set. We all had planned to take Friday off from work, and expected to spend most of the day practicing. For this short Thursday evening warm-up, we'd actually set up a practice area in a conference room in the basement at Jasmine's workplace.

Jasmine, who'd stepped out to take a phone call, returned and called us over. "Okay, you guys. I'll end the suspense now. Pat, Dave, and Evie, I'm sorry I had to keep you in the dark, but I had no choice. Your mystery guest made that request. I know her pretty well, though, and she's a very good singer and guitarist. She is, however," Jasmine hesitated, as if to consider her words carefully, "a little hard to get along with."

"Oh great," Dave blurted out. "Bud McMillan, distaff version."

"Shame we couldn't have gotten Buddy-boy in here to meet her," I cracked. "I bet they'd make a nice couple. But I don't imagine he's doing a whole lot of singing these days."

"Oh, I bet he is singing," Dave chortled. "In soprano, into a pillow, while his new friend Bubba plows into him from behind."

I cracked up. Paul and Evie both shook their heads and laughed. Jasmine just squealed, "Oh my God," and buried her face in her hands. Dave and I both liked Jasmine, and she thought we were the salt of the earth, but she just didn't get our humor.

When the laughter died down, Jasmine continued, "Her name is Inez Trujillo. She's been with the company for two years. She was born in Puerto Rico, moved to Florida as a child, and moved up here to North Jersey to take this job. She's had a tough life, and her attitude reflects that. Got pregnant right out of high school and never married. Despite that, she now has four grandchildren, and she's the same age as you guys. Graduated from high school the same year."

We all looked at each other, digesting that for a moment. A grandmother of four at 44? "So when do we meet Ms. Congeniality?" Dave asked.

"Any minute now," Jasmine replied, glancing at her watch. "I just spoke with her on the phone. She's on her way."

Jasmine pulled Paul aside for a moment to talk privately. I walked over to my keyboard, and began absent-mindedly pressing the keys one by one, listening to each note, hoping the thing was still in good working order. The others busied themselves similarly. I happened to look up, and I saw a woman entering the room who looked to be at least sixty years old. She had a guitar, in its case, slung over her shoulder. My first thought was, holy crap, is this Inez person such a bitch that she makes her mother lug her guitar around?

I approached her. "Can I help you, ma'am?" I said, sounding a little more formal than I really intended.

"I can take care of myself, thanks," she scowled, with an intonation that suggested, don't fuck with me.

I figured, okay, you attract more flies with honey. "Does that guitar belong to Inez? We're expecting her," I said in the most pleasant voice I could muster.

That got a laugh out of her, but a short, abrupt one dripping with sarcasm. "Yes, it belongs to Inez. I am Inez. Who'd you think I was? The cleaning lady?" Her voice had just the slightest trace of an accent.

A cleaning lady might have been pretty high on my list of possible identities for this obviously bitter, life-weary woman in front of me. Jasmine had said she was the same age as me; I couldn't believe it. She stood about five-four, with a pear-shaped body. She had droopy bags under her dispirited brown eyes, with saggy cheeks and a wrinkled forehead. When she opened her mouth to speak, one's attention was immediately drawn to a very prominent front tooth chip. Her lips were dry and cracked. Her skin tone was darker than tan, while lighter than dull brown. Her short hair, mostly transitioned over to gray from light brown, was disheveled in a matronly manner. She had on a University of Miami T-shirt with saggy, loose-fitting jogging pants. Basically, she wasn't much to look at. And she was figuring to join our rock and roll band? As lead vocalist and guitarist? I thought to myself, this does not compute.

Maintaining a friendly demeanor, I introduced myself. "I'm Pat O'Malley ... I'm the keyboardist. Let me introduce you to a couple other members of the band." I called over Dave and Evie, and made the introductions. Inez barely acknowledged their presence. I said to myself, oh, this just gets better and better. I looked at Dave, just to gauge his reaction; the expression on his face said, "Are you kidding?"

Paul and Jasmine returned; it was time to get the practice underway. After bringing in her own amp, along with another guitar (an acoustic), Inez got herself all plugged in. The rest of us assumed our positions. Then Inez spoke up, assuming the role of dictatorial front person without a vote from her constituents. "Okay, people. You're products of the early eighties, right? I take it you know 'Heartbreaker' by Pat Benatar?"

I looked at the others, and we all nodded slowly. We'd experimented with "Heartbreaker" back in the day, but we'd never gone beyond practice with it. The song was tailor-made for Ms. Benatar's magnificent opera-trained voice, and it just didn't mesh well with Evie's sultry, growly vocal style. So, we'd axed it.

Finally, I spoke up. "In fact, we used to mess around with it in practice. Be patient with us, though ... it's been a long time."

Inez just sighed dismissively, with the air of someone being forced to share a stage with a bunch of hacks. "Okay, people, I'll start it off. You," she said, pointing in Paul's direction, "and you," she motioned toward Dave, "jump in and try to keep up with me." Presumably, that left Evie and myself on the sidelines for the time being.

And then, she began to play. And sing. And the result? Pure magic.

Turned out, she was an outstanding guitarist. But that wasn't the real eye-opener. It was her voice ... startlingly powerful, yet achingly mournful. She blew through the song as if it had been crafted for her and her alone, merely toying with the high notes. It was the female equivalent of what I like to call the Jim Nabors Effect: That voice comes out of that person?

And when she was finished, as the rest of us exchanged looks of amazement, it was as if the light switch had been flipped back off. The blank, sullen look returned to Inez's face as she reached into a bag and pulled out a bottle of water. I glanced once again in Dave's direction. "Holy crap!" he mouthed silently, still flabbergasted at what had just taken place.

I finally spoke up. "That was ... pretty good," I said, understating the truth by a fair margin.

Paul chimed in, "We've got one song. If we polish it up, and work in Pat and Evie, that one will knock 'em dead. Color me impressed, Inez. You can really sing." Dave, Evie and I all nodded in agreement.

His words of praise appeared to go in one ear and out the other. "No," Inez replied firmly. "No. That was just a warm-up. We are not doing that song at the show."

"Huh?" I blurted out unintelligibly. Her attitude was already starting to wear on me.

"But that was pretty damn good!" Dave protested.

"How old is that song?" came Inez's reply. "Twenty-five, thirty years? Let me tell you something. The audience doesn't want to hear oldies. Neither do the people who'll be giving out the prizes. They want something contemporary, and that's what we'll give them."

The debate went back and forth for a few minutes. Soon, with no resolution on this issue in sight, a new topic of contention emerged. I – along with Paul, Evie and Dave – believed that a ten-minute set left plenty of room to squeeze in three songs. Inez, however, insisted on just two. "It doesn't matter if we don't fill up the entire ten minutes," she declared stubbornly. "When I do a song, I do it right. I don't do a half-assed job, trying to squeeze in as much material as possible."

The four of us all began to speak at once, in protest, our tone of voice walking the line between irritation and anger. I motioned for the others to let me speak, and they quickly piped down. "Look, Inez," I implored. "We're all supposed to be working together here. But there's one of you, and there are four of us. And the majority has a pretty good idea on how we'd like to approach this. Why don't you quit being such a stick in the mud, and let the majority rule?"

Inez's dead-fish eyes grew as wide as saucers. Her nostrils flared, and it appeared an eruption was imminent. "Listen, buddy. We are representing my employer, aren't we? I didn't ask you guys to do this. Jasmine did. And unless you want to have your little reunion concert without me, somewhere else, in front of an audience of zero, you'll do as I say. Got it?"

She had us, and I knew it. For Jasmine's sake (and Paul's, too), we had to go through with this, and that meant we had to accept her terms. But I wasn't about to back down against this withered little bitch with a bug up her ass. I steeled my gaze against hers, and held it for several very tense seconds. Finally, she muttered "cochino," and then broke the eye contact. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Dave, who knew a little Spanish, grinning like the cat that ate the canary.

Without any further elaboration, a short break followed, and I made my way over to Dave. Out of earshot of the others, I said to him, "So what the hell does 'cochino' mean, anyhow?"

"She just called you a pig, sport."

Shortly thereafter, the practice was in full swing. Inez, naturally, had chosen the two songs we'd be performing. I'd mentioned to Evie earlier that I'd gotten advance notice of one of the songs, and that I wasn't thrilled with the choice. Aside from the point that we were an eighties band and wanted to do stuff from "our" era, this type of a show called for something fun, rocking, and upbeat. So what did Inez pick for our opening number? Jewel's "Foolish Games".

I'd been tipped off ahead of time so that I'd have a head start on getting the keyboard part down. And that's pretty much everything "Foolish Games" consists of ... vocals and keyboard. This reduced Evie to a backing vocalist, and essentially left Paul and Dave twiddling their thumbs.

Inez, meanwhile, sang this haunting but starkly depressing song with the kind of conviction that could only be demonstrated by someone who'd lived the lyrics word for word. She seemed to want to make it her own public primal scream therapy. There were a hundred reasons why "Foolish Games" was entirely the wrong song, but one of them was not that Inez couldn't sing it well.

I had to admit, however, that our second selection (again, as decreed by Inez) was a much stronger choice ... KT Tunstall's rollicking "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree". It wasn't necessarily the song I'd have picked, had I been in a position to do so; but it was certainly upbeat, and better highlighted our individual talents. We actually had a lot of fun working it out. It allowed Paul and Dave to become more involved, and Evie and I shared the backing vocals, repeatedly grinning at each other through the numerous "woo-woos". As for Inez, once again, her guitar work and vocals proved to be first-rate. For the first time in twenty years, I began to feel the indescribable rush associated with making music.

As we worked to polish up "Black Horse", I happened to catch a figure out of the corner of my eye, moving sensuously to the music. I looked that way, and there stood Shannon, clapping and dancing. I'd told her about the practice, and she'd said she would try to drop by. And here she was, and with the way she was smiling at me adoringly, almost groupie-like, I began to suspect that I was in for a good time later that evening. Indeed, a tent began to form in my pants in anticipation. Luckily, my keyboard shielded me from the others.

Before we all knew it, it was almost ten o'clock, and we decided to wrap things up for the evening. I decided to make one final appeal to Inez to add a third song. "If we do 'Heartbreaker'," I pointed out, "that will give us one ballad, one mid-tempo number and one hard rocker. It makes sense." But she dismissed my suggestion with a wave of her hand, seemingly not wanting to expend the energy required to respond to me verbally.

Shannon sauntered up and greeted me with a peck on the mouth, looking as though she wanted to devour me on the spot. I'll confess to having similar thoughts toward her. Slender yet well-built, with long, free-flowing dark brown hair and deep blue eyes, she had on nicely-fitting white slacks and a pink top. Her open-toed four-inch heels (and I've got a thing for high heels) made her nearly my equal in height, and I'm just a hair over six feet.

"You guys were awesome!" she gushed. "I didn't know you were that good."

"Neither did we," I deadpanned. I decided to discreetly edge the conversation toward more carnal matters. "So what are you doing now?"

No dummy, was she. She got the hint; her expression turned from giddy to smoldering. She leaned in to me and whispered, "Let's meet over at your place."

She was very forward; I liked that about her. I pretended to be carefully considering her offer, which caused her to giggle and playfully whack me on the arm. "Okay ... I'm convinced," I grinned. "Give me fifteen, twenty minutes to wrap things up here."

Shannon didn't bother with a spoken reply. She gave me a look that could have melted a glacier, and then slinked her way across the room and out the door. Dave, of course, had been watching that whole exchange. "Whew ... it's hot in here," he grinned, fanning his face with his hand. Evie was standing nearby. Her sly smile said, "You and I have a lot to talk about, don't we?"

Somewhat embarrassed, I changed the subject. "You know ... it would be kind of trite to say 'we still got it', but we sounded way better than I expected."

"I had a blast," Evie gushed. "I'm so happy I flew out here to play with you guys. It was like the years just melted away."

Even Dave appeared to have been moved by the experience. "I know. It was like I was back in college again," he offered, atypically sentimental.

But leave it to Inez, the human wet blanket, to douse our enthusiasm with a few well-chosen words. "It's good you had your little trip down memory lane, people. You really think you sounded good? Well, get the wax out of your ears. I beg to differ. We have a lot of work to do tomorrow. I'm not getting up there on stage and making an ass of myself because the rest of you are too wrapped up in your own midlife crises to notice that you aren't playing worth crap." She finished packing up her guitar, and then left without any further acknowledgment of our presence.

"Is she for real?" Dave asked rhetorically, shaking his head.

"Did she even bother to remember our names?" wondered Evie, her voice uncharacteristically distasteful. "Among other things, I'm getting sick of hearing her constantly refer to us as 'people'."

Chapter 2 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.