Wolf Mother - Cover

Wolf Mother

Copyright© 2012 by Rolf

Chapter 1

I never wanted this to happen. For most of my adult life(I was now 19) there had been no complications. I went wherever I wanted, did what I wanted and had nothing or no-one to worry about. Why then was I in a cave with a dying wolf? We had Wolves in Oregon, but any this size was rare. You certainly did not treat then like a pet. They were wild. So why was I doing this?

Why, because I am stupid. That and there was something noble I saw in her. She had fought and killed three cave bears. When I found her, their bodies were strewn in a line leading to the cave. She was a mess, blood, flesh and fur all about. There was little doubt she was dying. I could have, should have let her die, or even put her out of her misery, but I could not do that, she deserved better.

I wondered why she had fought them. She was not even a match for one, let alone three; yet she had killed them all. Why had she not just runaway. There was plenty of room, and from the tracks, she had already been outside their space. I knew it was a mistake, knew it, knew it, knew it. I went to her, stoked her head and gently picked her up.

No bite, no howl, no struggle to get free. I knew then and there, if there was a way to save her, I would do so, or try to do so. I took her into the cave, the smell of cave bear should keep most of other animals away. I gentle laid her down and started to find wood or leaves for a fire. All the time I had been talking to her, telling her, in a soft, low, voice that I was trying to help her and would do nothing to hurt her.

If I only knew what lay ahead, I would, should have ran. No, not really.

Then there was a sound, it had come from further back in the cave. My horse and saddle gun were just inside the entrance. I had my set of 'Ruger Blackhawk's' in .44 caliber on me. I looked at the wolf, shrugged my shoulders and ventured further back in the cave. Whatever the sound was, it was very faint and did not sound like a threat.

Nothing, I went back, started to make a small fire, brought the horse closer in. It did not shy from the wolf, which was strange. I removed the saddle, bags and gear, placing a blanket on the wolf and a rolled up one under her head. I kept the saddle gun close by.

I heard a sound again, still very faint. Taking a burning branch for light and a .44 in my hand I investigated. Under a pile of twigs and leaves, there was a baby. A little girl baby. Could she be the reason the wolf overcame all odds and tried to fight the bears?

I thought back to the legend about the founding of Rome. A wolf protecting a human baby was not unknown, but was un-common. I took the child in my arms and carried her back to the fire. What I saw was not possible, a naked woman was crawling towards us from where the wolf had been.

"Baby, Baby came from the woman's lips"

"I did not even think. Got her back a few feet, placed the baby in her arms and covered them."

From the things on the floor of the cave, it looked like the woman had recently given birth. That was why the Wolf had near given it's life to protect them. But where was the Wolf now?

I brought water to the woman, more like a girl upon closer inspection. I raised her head and had her drink. I used the kerchief around my neck to clean her face and neck. I heard the sounds of the baby feeding and pulled away to make some broth for the girl.

I also went looking for the Wolf or any sign she had left. There were none. I tied a rope to the bears one at a time and with 'Dusty', dragged them off. It was not the best meat but the grease, meat and trimmings, would give us both food and some thing to help her gain strength. I would skin one or two for their hides if I could.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.