Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 15

Simon rang Joanna on Monday and Tuesday evenings. They talked for an hour each time and learnt more about each other, childhood and schooling, their degree courses and through this much more of their views on all sorts of things. They also found time to laugh and tell each other of their love.

Towards the end of their conversation on Tuesday Simon could no longer bear it.

"I'm going to come up to Putney tomorrow evening. I've got to see you again, Jo-Jo. I can't wait until Friday."

"Si, that's a sweet thought but you'll be useless at work on Thursday having driven a hundred and fifty miles and had a late night."

"No I won't and anyway it's worth it. I shall be rejuvenated. Give me your address and I'll get directions from the computer."

Joanna did so warning him not to arrive before seven. There was an Indian restaurant they could walk to which did very good food.

"What time do you reckon?" she asked.

"Not telling you in case you get all worked up again."

"Oh, Si, I'm over that now."

"Oh woe! You don't love me anymore."

"Simon Carstairs!"

"Yes, miss!"

"Stop being silly."

"Between seven and half past and I'll ring you if I'm going to be late."

"That's better. And I still love you even when you're trying to be a pain in the backside."

"And I love you. More than I can say. See you tomorrow.

"'Bye, Si."

"'Bye, my Jo-Jo."

Joanna was giddy with excitement and rushed to tell Liz.

"Aha," replied Liz with a grin. "I get the chance to vet lover-boy."

Her grin changed to a delighted smile. "It sounds to me as though he's absolutely gaga about you. Great!"

Joanna gave a self-conscious giggle.

Simon arrived at twenty past seven and was relieved to find that Joanna was not in a state. Nevertheless her hug and kiss were muted but that was probably because Liz was standing in the background. She refused to let them go out without having a drink.

"I need to make sure you're suitable," she said regally and then laughed uproariously.

Simon smiled back. "I'll be on my best behaviour ... while we're here."

That did not stop him from sitting on the sofa with Joanna and holding her hand.

It was only a short meeting but Liz was totally convinced of Simon's love for her greatest friend. She told her so the next morning.

Simon and Joanna walked hand in hand to the restaurant where they had a very good meal. They did manage to tear away their eyes from each other to eat it but every now and again Simon had to put his knife down to touch Joanna almost as if proving to himself that he was not dreaming.

They talked too, not lovey-dovey stuff but about things that interested and amused them. The shyness had gone now and as they talked they found themselves growing closer and their minds coalescing.

It was eleven o'clock before they realised it and the staff began putting chairs on tables and cleaning the floor. They walked back home. Liz had tactfully gone to bed.

"I don't want to keep you up, Si darling. You've got a good hour and a half's drive ahead of you but would you like a coffee before you go?"

"No, darling. Just a hug and a kiss and then in two days you'll be in my arms again."

They did not prolong it but it was a very loving hug and kiss.

Simon took her to the Crown at Atheldiston. Joanna had been there a few times but not often as the Trout was so handy. Simon had only been there half a dozen times which was enough for him to be recognised by the Jays who ran it. It was full and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. Simon ordered drinks and they took them to their table where they studied the menu. They were left in peace until both had finished their drinks when a waitress appeared, took their orders and replaced their drinks.

"Some time soon I'd like you to meet my family," Simon said.

"So would I."

"I'll have to try and fix it for a weekend when Tricia's at home."

"How often's that?"

"A bit like you. Once or twice a month."

"OK, my love. My every weekend now is yours so just let me know."

Simon smiled delightedly and he squeezed her hand. "That sends shivers of happiness down my spine."

She smiled equally happily back at him. "It gives me all warm and squidgy feelings."

"Squidgy?"

She blushed slightly and glanced down before looking back into his eyes. "Melting in your arms."

"Well we'd better avoid doing that here. They'd probably make me clear up the mess."

Joanna laughed. "Not that melty or we'd only be able to do it once."

"And that really would be a shame not to mention an awful waste of you."

"Has Tricia got a boyfriend?"

"I'm not sure. The last time I saw him I sensed things were a little strained between them."

"Oh dear."

"It could well have been a temporary glitch. Tricia tends to speak her mind."

"I'll watch my step."

Simon smiled. "I don't think you'll have to. When she sees how I feel about you she'll behave. Mind you, if she disapproves of you she'll tell me. We're very close and she only wants the best for me but since you are that she'll love you too."

Joanna looked mildly apprehensive.

"Don't worry, darling. All three will fall for you within ten minutes. I promise."

"What do you want to do tomorrow? By the way, you're expected to stay the night."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Mum and Dad would be upset if you didn't."

"Bless them." He grinned. "I did actually bring a case in the hope."

"Good. So what do you want to do?"

"Just be with you."

"Same here but we can't just sit about in sloppy heaps all day long."

"Do you know? I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I've never been to Stonehenge."

"It'll be stiff with people on a Saturday."

"Hmm, possibly not a very good idea."

"Have you done the cathedral?"

"No again."

"Well you ought to."

"Yes, miss."

"There's also the market on a Saturday which can be quite amusing."

"OK."

"And then a good long walk in the afternoon. We can't have you losing your fitness after the Lakes."

"Good thinking. Will we take the dogs?"

"I doubt it unless Mum and Dad are feeling idle."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.