Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

The first thing they did when they got back to the hotel was to have tea. They needed a second pot so thirsty were they all. Ralph and Simon wolfed large quantities of hot buttered toast and jam and equally large quantities of fresh scones.

"Don't spoil your supper," remonstrated Joanna unctuously.

"As if," retorted Simon.

Joanna grinned. She had recovered. Familiar surroundings and the tea had helped but somehow Simon's presence was reassuring. She was sitting next to him.

Afterwards they all trooped upstairs to have a shower and change.

"Poor Joanna," said Ralph to Simon in the privacy of their room. "It was irresponsible, given her inexperience, not to have roped up."

"Relax, Ralph. It wasn't that tricky just hard work. She was doing jolly well until I, like an idiot, made her look down. Neither of us knew she was liable to get vertigo."

"All the same, it wasn't a risk we should have taken."

"Mm. Anyway, all's well that ends well and I don't think any of them hold it against you."

"I could kick myself all the same."

Simon patted him on the shoulder. "Go on then, do it and then relax, mate."

Ralph could not help but smile and kicked his bottom with his heel. "I ought to kick your arse too," he said with a grin.

"Help yourself," smiled Simon bending over.

"Oh, go and get on with your shower," answered Ralph in mock exasperation.

"I'm afraid Ralph's blaming himself," said Jerry to Emma. "He told me that he'd been irresponsible."

"When?"

"While you were comforting Joanna."

"Why?"

"He said they should have roped up."

"In retrospect."

"True but you don't take risks with mountains."

"Oh, darling, don't be hard on him. Joanna said she was doing fine and enjoying herself until she looked down. Actually, she's probably learnt an important lesson. Vertigo is no fun."

"You managed OK."

"Yes but I looked ahead and concentrated on the path the whole time."

"Oh, my sweet! Was it miserable for you?"

"No. I know my limitations and enjoyed myself."

"Good."

"And don't you harbour any feelings about the boys being irresponsible. I'm well aware of your views on 'Elf and Safety." She grinned at him.

Jerry grinned back. "Yes, ma'am."

The one person who was totally unworried was Joanna. The fact that she could get vertigo was worth knowing about. She wondered whether having experienced it once it would occur again for less dramatic reasons. She shrugged. Time would tell. She just would not take risks. Simon had been marvellous, so gently and calmly reassuring. His hand was warm and gentle too. It was a shame they were going home tomorrow. Ralph had been a bit silent and detached. She hoped he was not feeling guilty about anything. She would reassure him.

Joanna and Simon were the first two downstairs to the bar. Simon had a slight lead and had ordered a pint of bitter which was being drawn.

He smiled warmly at Joanna and offered her a drink. She asked for a gin and tonic. The drinks arrived.

"Cheers!" they said simultaneously and smilingly. Then there was silence. Each glanced at the other but neither was prepared to meet the other's eyes. They were suddenly shy.

Joanna reached out and touched Simon's hand. "Thank you for being there for me today," she said softly.

Their eyes met and Simon smiled albeit a bit ruefully. "If I hadn't caused you to look down at me it would never have happened," he murmured.

Joanna smiled back. "I've been thinking about that," she replied still softly. "If you hadn't I'd never have realised that I was susceptible to vertigo. I learned something valuable today." Then her smile turned mischievous. "I also learnt that you have good taste in bums."

Simon's reticence fell away. "Legs too!" he said. "Thanks for wearing shorts."

"Thank the weather," she retorted.

Simon suddenly and slightly sadly realised that she had withdrawn her hand. It was probably just as well because Ralph arrived at that moment.

"I'm in the chair," said Simon and ordered him a pint of bitter.

"Thanks for today, Ralph," said Joanna. "I'm sorry for my silliness."

"It wasn't silliness, Joanna. It was totally natural but we should have been roped."

"Possibly but how were any of us to know that I was going to get vertigo. If I had I'd never have asked to come with you. Please, Ralph, don't blame yourself for anything."

Ralph looked at her steadily. Her eyes never left his. "Thank you, Joanna. That means a lot. It's just..."

"Forget it, Ralph. I was doing fine. If I hadn't looked down it would never have happened. The climb was hard work but I was enjoying it. Please, Ralph."

He was still looking into her eyes and she saw the anxiety leave his. "Thanks," he said and this time it was heartfelt.

It was all becoming a little tense but fortunately Emma and Jerry arrived. Ralph and Simon rose to greet them. All three Evanses, Joanna considered herself an honorary Evans at least, were impressed by their good manners.

"I'm in the chair," announced Simon again. "A proper G & T for madame and a proper whisky and soda for monsieur?"

They both smiled gratefully.

"What time are you leaving tomorrow?" he went on.

"About ten," replied Jerry.

"Excellent! Bags of time for an alka-seltzer and a decent breakfast. You can let your hair down."

"But alcohol still in the bloodstream," said Emma with a grin.

"Spoilsport!"

They all laughed. "Actually," said Jerry, "it's one bit of 'Elf and Safety that I really do pay attention to, particularly with my girls in the car with me."

"Dead right," said Ralph. "Which means, young Simon, that you're going to have to behave yourself tomorrow night."

"What? Can't I drown my sorrows that these lovely people will have left us?"

"No!"

Simon sucked his cheeks and rolled his eyes at Joanna who had to laugh.

"I mean it."

"Yessir! But... ?"

"No buts, young Carstairs!"

"No, sir!"

And so it went on all evening. It was not as though Ralph and Simon stole the limelight. They had merely dispelled any emotions that were still pent up and all five had an uproarious evening.

Emma and Jerry were the first to go to bed. Ralph, even though he was very attracted to Joanna himself realised that Simon was ahead of him, left next.

Simon was taking no chances. Joanna was much too special to try and rush into anything.

"How often do you go home for the weekend?" he asked.

Joanna shrugged. "Once or twice a month."

"Any chance of us going out somewhere together?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.