Replay
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Tony Hewitt rang the next morning ostensibly to check that the video was working all right. He was delighted that Zoë answered the telephone.

"Fine," she replied. "Two marauders last night: the ginger tom from down the road twice and a hedgehog. They didn't leave anything."

Tony laughed. "I'd better not say better luck next time."

"I don't know. We'd like to catch the perpetrator."

"Of course. Um, Zoë, would you like to go out with me one evening?"

"Thanks, Tony, but no thanks. I've sworn off men until I've got my degree under my belt."

"Oh, OK. 'Bye."

Jerry had overheard the conversation and smiled at her.

She smiled back. "He's a nice guy but I don't think he's my sort."

"Probably not."

The rest of the week passed without incident although there was mild excitement when a fox appeared one night on the video.

Late on Easter Saturday afternoon a jet-lagged Joanna arrived. "We got in at sparrows this morning and I've had four hours sleep but I wouldn't say I was raring to go," she said.

"East about is always worse," commiserated Jerry.

She did not go with them to the St Matthew Passion. It went well and the Linnets were very pleased with themselves. Emma and Zoë thoroughly enjoyed it. Emma enrolled for the next term when they would start work on Mozart's Requiem.

Joanna was back to herself on Easter Day and Jerry delighted in getting to know her better. She was fun, energetic and clearly very clever. She was less effervescent than Zoë though.

Peter and Chris had taken a chance on the weather and had organised a barbecue plus an Easter Egg hunt for children. The weather was kind and the village turned out in strength. Jerry and his girls went along and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Zoë spent a lot of time with the children and was very popular with them. Mrs Warner and her friend were present. If she was the guilty party no one found out her reaction to seeing the two daughters clearly very happy and enjoying Jerry's company.

Joanna went back to London after tea on Monday having confided to Emma that the weekend had reinforced her opinion of Jerry. "He's special, Mum. No wonder you fell for him. I'm joining Zoë and adopting him as my new father."

Emma hugged her. "Thank you, sweety. That means a lot to me despite your endorsement a fortnight ago."

Joanna hugged and kissed Jerry warmly. "Goodbye, Dad. See you soon," she said softly.

Jerry's eyes widened and then he beamed with delight. "Thank you, Joanna. That means a lot to me."

He pulled her back into the hug and returned her kiss.

"It's all Zoë's fault," she smiled back at him.

"No. She might have been persuasive but it was your decision in the end."

He gave her another gentle squeeze and she beamed up at him. The three of them saw her off from the front doorstep. Jerry was unable to wave. His arms were round Emma and Zoë.

"Been bullying your big sister again?" Jerry smiled.

"No, Dad. Preaching to the converted." She pulled his head down and gave him a kiss. "We both love you."

Emma looked on, her heart brimming with happiness.

That night the letter writer struck again leaving a pile of straw on the front doorstep. The accompanying note read:

STRAW BURNS. GET OUT BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

It was Jean Warner without a shadow of doubt. She was a little disconcerted by the security light coming on and looked straight at it but then, when nothing happened, she came on forward carrying a sack. She was too close in to the front door for the camera to see what she was doing but the sack was empty when she left.

"That's it," said Jerry grimly. "That's a threat."

"Are you going to call the police, darling?"

"You bet I am."

"And press charges?"

"Yes. Why? Don't you want me too?"

"I don't think she's a criminal as such. I'd say she was a psychiatric case, an acute one at that, and as such needs treatment rather than punishment."

Jerry looked at her searchingly. She had only been upset after the first letter. Thereafter she had been angry. Over time she had been able to look at the matter as the psychiatrist she was.

"Do you think she would accept treatment?"

"With firm persuasion."

"So what are you suggesting?"

"That you invite your Sergeant Whatsisname to come here, see the video and then the two of us discuss the business with him. If he agrees with my plan then he and I will pay her a visit and he will explain very firmly to her that what she has done is to commit a criminal act and could be prosecuted. She would be punished but the magistrate would probably also require her to undergo psychiatric treatment. If she will allow me to arrange that treatment, attends it and commits no more offences we, very kindly, will not press charges."

"You wouldn't treat her yourself though surely."

"Oh Lord no but I'd keep a discreet eye on it."

"OK, my darling. Yours is the better way." He smiled admiringly at her. "Please may I kiss my clever fiancée?"

"You bet. Any time you like."

Emma went off to work and Jerry cried off golf again before ringing Sergeant Withers.

The latter was sympathetic to Emma's way of dealing with the case and, despite being almost certain that he would agree, would check it with his inspector. Either way, he would be round between three and half past.

Zoë was less charitable. "Pity we don't still have ducking stools," she growled, "then the witch would either be drowned or dried off and burned."

"Warn me not to rile you, Boadicea," grinned Jerry.

"Dead right! By the way, I should finish my dissertation this morning. Hooray! Hooray!"

"Well done, sweety! May I read it?"

Zoë blushed with pleasure. "Yes, Dad. Of course you may. Mind you," she added loftily, "a lot of it may go over your head."

"Oh, doubtless," he replied airily, "but I should be able to correct all your silly spelling mistakes."

"Spell-checked."

"And still leaving f-a-r-e for f-a-i-r not to mention y-o-u-r and y-o-u-'-r-e."

"Mere pedantic trifles." She flung her arms round his neck. "Love you, New Daddy."

"Love you back, sweety." He gave her a peck on the nose.

Zoë smiled brilliantly and danced off upstairs.

Jerry settled down to some dusting and hoovering although the next important thing on his agenda was to welcome Emma home which he did thoroughly.

Zoë came galloping down the stairs and tossed a folder on the kitchen table. "Ta-da," she cried and then seeing Jerry pouring drinks tut-tutted and said, "Gin today with the law visiting? You'll be done for being drunk in charge of a policeman."

"Not with Jerry's stingy measures," retorted Emma.

"Sot," replied he solemnly restraining himself from adding, "Old naval habits die hard." It might have hurt her to be reminded even jokingly of Will.

Emma wrinkled her nose at him. "Wishful thinking, my love. Judging by Zoë's remark, you've spoken to the police."

"Yes and Sergeant Withers is coming round this afternoon."

"Well done, darling. I just hope La Warner is in."

Sergeant Withers and a woman police constable duly arrived, both in plain clothes, and agreed with Emma's plan. He viewed the video recording and then disconnected the machine. "Right then, Mrs Roberts, shall we go and pass the time of day with Mrs Warner?" he asked.

Jean Warner answered the door bell almost immediately and then looked at Emma in surprise.

"Good afternoon, Jean," said Emma. "May I introduce Sergeant Withers and Constable Arnold of the Pitsbury police?"

"Good afternoon, madam. May we come in please?"

Jean was too flustered to say anything but stood aside and all three entered. She led them to the sitting room in silence and gestured towards the chairs. They all sat down.

"Mrs Warner, Mrs Roberts has received three abusive and threatening letters. She has had dog excrement put through her letter box and straw dumped on her front doorstep. What have you to say about this?"

Jean had recovered somewhat by this stage. She shook her head. "I really don't know what to say. How awful for you, Emma!"

Emma said nothing but merely looked at her until she averted her eyes.

"Mrs Warner," went on Sergeant Withers, "I'd like you to take a look at this which was taken last night."

He showed her the video. She went white as a sheet and then burst into tears.

Sergeant Withers waited for a full half minute. "That's you on the videotape, isn't it, Mrs Warner."

She nodded dumbly.

"So what have you got to say now?"

There was a long silence broken by the occasional sob. Finally she looked up.

"It was the Lord's will," she said.

"Please explain, Mrs Warner."

"She sinned before the Lord and before her late husband."

"Wasn't that something for the Lord to deal with Himself?"

"He used me as His messenger."

Emma looked questioningly at Sergeant Withers who nodded.

"Jean, before I agreed to marry Jerry I asked the Lord whether it was right because my first husband had only been dead for just over a year. His answer was a clear yes and that my first husband would be glad that I had found happiness again. I suggest that the Devil has played a cruel trick on you."

"Never! I am one of the Lord's anointed."

Emma realised that Jean required immediate treatment. If she was left out of care in the state she was in she might do harm to herself let alone Emma and her family. She looked at Sergeant Withers again, shook her head and mimed washing her hands. He nodded.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.