Don't Go Breaking My Heart? - Cover

Don't Go Breaking My Heart?

 

Chapter 4

When we got home, Mom had a wonderful hot meal ready for us—soup and sandwiches. We ate a bunch and as we finished Mom went into her apron and dropped two condoms on the table in front of me.

"I'm aware that these usually come in threes, young man, can you show me the third one, please?"

Busted!

I looked over to Joan, who was flush in both cheeks, as I was probably as well.

"I didn't tell your father that I found these. Is there something you need to tell me, Jerry? Joanie?" she said sitting down.

I was so nervous I was shaking, Mom put her hand on mine and said, "Calm down, I know young men use these both when they pleasure themselves and when they want to leave no trace. Which was it, Jerry?"

Whether she knew it or not, she'd given me an out, but I was raised to be forthright and responsible. I put my other hand on Joanie's and said, "Mom, I'm in love with my sister and I used one while we were at the Best Western last night..."

"Mom," Joan interrupted, "We've been in love for a while now, but last night was the first time we did anything other than kiss."

Mom's face was remarkably unchanged. She got up and cleared the table, as Joan and I sat there wondering what was about to happen? After loading our dishes into the dishwasher, she sat back down.

"I can't honestly say, I hadn't suspected as much—watching you sing to one another, love song after love song. I remember the day Joan auditioned to be your singing partner. I'd never seen the look on her face before that I saw that day."

"One more thing, Tell this to your father and you'll see how upset I can REALLY get—I had a fling with my brother Sam, when he was 18 and I was 15. It lasted for the summer and we did the same thing you two just did. My mother had put me on the Pill when I was 13 and rightly so. Your father obviously doesn't know anything about that. Joan, I'm taking you to get on the pill—Jerry, hide those better next time. Underneath your underwear is where every boy in America hides his rubbers or his Playboy Magazines!"

I got up and went over to my mom and said, "You're the most understanding and loving Mom a boy could hope for. I love you!" I gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I went back over to Joan, but gave her a hug and a kiss on the mouth, to express my feelings.

Mom cleared her throat after about 20 seconds, but she understands.

"Get out of here, you two—go practice ... SINGING!" she chuckled.

Just as we were about to leave the kitchen she added, "Keep to your rooms to do any of that, OK?"

Together we said, "OK, Mom."


We went to go listen to music together in my room, turning on the radio. The song that came on was Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing."

We'd heard it before, but listened closer—for singing purposes. We started to move to it as well.

"Oh, baby now let's get down tonight
Ooh baby, I'm hot just like an oven
I need some lovin'
And baby, I can't hold it much longer
It's getting stronger and stronger

And when I get that feeling
I want sexual healing
Sexual healing, oh baby
Makes me feel so fine

Helps to relieve my mind
Sexual healing baby, is good for me
Sexual healing is something that's good for me

Whenever blue teardrops are fallin'
And my emotional stability is leaving me
There is something I can do
I can get on the telephone and call you up baby

And honey I know you'll be there to relieve me
The love you give to me will free me
If you don't know the thing you're dealing
Ohh I can tell you, darling, that it's sexual healing

(Joan sang the next part!)


Get up, get up, get up, get up
Let's make love tonight
Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up
'Cos you do it right

(We sang the next part together!)

Baby, I got sick this mornin'
A sea was stormin' inside of me
Baby, I think I'm capsizin'
The waves are rising and rising... "

"We've got to get this song, Jerry!" my sister said.

"You mean to sing to, or..."

"YES to both," she declared, giving me a kiss.

We went on to listen to some more radio songs, including some songs that only one of us would sing.

Over the next hour we listed to "Mickey," by Toni Basil—"I'm Still Standing," by Elton John, "Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Ritchie and "Take It Easy on Me" by the Little River Band.

We planned to get and learn all of these. We're going to become so much more in love by singing these songs to one another all we could.

I grabbed Joanie and yelled, "Going to buy some music, back in 20 minutes."

Mom came out of the kitchen and said, "Dinner is in an hour, don't dawdle kids!"

With our gig money we bought all we had just listened to, as well as some Melissa Manchester, Alicia Bridges, Barry Manilow and Tom Paul Jones.

We got home just as Dad was pulling up from work. He looked at our holding hands, which we did so often we didn't realize it any more.

"Well, you two look happy, get some more music already?" he said as we all walked in together.

"Yeah, Daddy—some really good music, but it's not all brand new. We like a little older music, you know from the 70s?" Joanie said.

"There you are!" mom said with a bit of attitude. "Everybody wash up, dinner's ready."

We ran upstairs dropped the music off, I let her wash first, then I did and we quickly got back down the stairs and sat down.

"Well kids," dad said, "How was the wedding you guys sang at yesterday? Anything other than the usual?"

I explained the whole fight over the cake and how our singing stopped it. Dad was proud of us, I could tell. He wouldn't be very proud of what his little girl and I did, but I obviously glossed over that part of the evening.

"Kids, my boss is having a party and he asked me if you would like to perform at it? It pays $1,000, but you need at least 90 minutes of music—can you do that?"

Practically at the same time we said, "Sure!" as Mom brought the Fried Chicken to the table, setting it in front of me. I got up really quick and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Whatever was that for?" she said.

"For being the prettiest and smartest Mom I know!" I said sitting back down and grinning.

"Do you two have a secret or something?" dad said.

Joanie almost spit out her glass of milk as I said, "No Dad, we just came home with some new music and are really excited to learn it. When is this party anyway?"

"In three weeks, I hope that's enough time for you guys, there will be people there your mother and my age, as well as younger people. A mix of what you usually sing would be good. Include any or all of what you just got, OK?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.