The Problems With Love
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

The visit to Ned and Elsie's the next weekend started the wedding ball rolling. Ned winked at Christopher who winked back.

"It's mid-July now so unless you want a cold winter wedding or a long wait until spring we need to get a wiggle on," said Elsie.

"Wiggle," said Andrea glancing questioningly at Christopher who nodded.

"Rushed weddings can lead to nasty rumours," said Ned lugubriously.

Andrea blew him a raspberry.

They plumped for the second Saturday in September and the girls went into action. Christopher realised he was going to have to give his flatmate two months' notice.

He also realised with horror that he had not told Daphne. He left the room immediately to do so. She was thrilled for him and said she would come up to London in a fortnight's time and stay with Robin so that she could meet Andrea. That meeting was a success. The girls took to each other immediately.

The visit to Bea went well too although Andrea found her a little heavy going. She diffidently told Christopher on the way back up to London.

"You don't surprise me at all," he replied. "That's why she and Dad separated. Daphne used to get impatient with her and so did I to an extent. I was never sharp with her just a bit bossy." He smiled. "She was a loving and caring mother and I love her to bits but there's absolutely no reason for you to feel the same way."

Her hand found the back of his neck. "Thank you, Chris. There's no reason that I can't show her affection and respect though."

"None at all nor should she expect any more. After all it's we two who are in love with each other. If any of our families develop a love for either of us so much the better."

Andrea's hand left his neck and found his thigh which she gently squeezed.

"How I love you!" she said.

His hand covered hers. "And I love you just as much, my one."

Ned and Elsie closed their hotel to the public for the weekend of the wedding offering rooms at a reduced price to guests coming from far away. Bea spent the Thursday night in Robin's spare room and they drove up to Warwickshire together the next day. Daphne made her way there circuitously by train on Friday. Robin picked her up from the station. She shared a room with Bea. The three of them sat with Christopher and his Best Man in the front pew.

Andrea had but one bridesmaid, her flatmate Ginny. She was a stunningly beautiful and radiant bride. Her parents were very, very proud of her. That could clearly be seen on Ned's face as he escorted her up the aisle and gave her away. As for Christopher, he was almost overwhelmed and his mouth and throat went dry. Fortunately he had recovered by the time had had to speak.

They honeymooned in the Dordogne, only spending a week there as they both wanted sufficient holiday time left to ski in January.

Robin and Bea drove back to London on Sunday. Bea did not stay the night but went straight on home. Neither had been in each other's pockets on the Friday or the Saturday and indeed at the reception moved independently throughout. There were many of their friends there who were all thoroughly tactful about the separation. The Irvine family was there in strength, Henry being Christopher's godfather. Robin spent a long and amusing time talking to Charles and Jean. He had not seen their daughters for two years and was most impressed with their liveliness and good manners.

The following April Robin was surprised to receive a telephone call from Lottë.

"Uncle Robin," she said excitedly and without preamble, "I've got an interview for art correspondent with a national paper. It's on Thursday at nine-thirty. Could you possibly put me up on the Wednesday?"

"Of course. It'll be a pleasure. What exciting news! What sort of time should I expect you?"

"What time do you get home?"

"About half past six but I could always be earlier."

"No. No. I'll fit. I've got your address although where in Southwark it is I've no idea so I'll get a taxi from Paddington."

"OK, Lottë, I look forward to seeing you."

"Me too! 'Bye, Uncle Robin."

Robin found he was quite excited by this visit; someone other than family was coming to stay. He made up the bed in the spare room and then debated whether to take Lottë out for dinner or cook at home. He decided on the latter. He was teaching himself to become a reasonable cook and wanted to see what Lottë thought of his efforts. He decided on grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and peas. Puddings he rarely ate and had never tried to cook one so he decided to buy a cheesecake on the way home on Wednesday evening.

Lottë was still bubbling with excitement when she arrived. She offered both cheeks to be kissed without any other contact as usual. Robin took her suitcase and showed her to her room.

"Cocktails in the withdrawing room when my lady is ready," he said.

Lottë blew him a raspberry. "Where's the loo, Uncle Robin? I'm bursting."

Robin showed her and went back to the kitchen where he poured himself a drink. Lottë joined him shortly afterwards and he offered her one.

"Will there be wine with sups?" she asked.

"Yes."

"In that case I'll have something non-alcoholic now please. I mustn't risk the trace of a hangover tomorrow."

Robin poured her an orange juice and they took their drinks to the sitting room.

"So how did you find this job?" he asked.

"My editor heard about it on the grapevine so I wrote in with an accompanying recommendation from him."

"Are you the only candidate then?"

"I don't think so. I wrote about six months ago and received a holding reply. I only got the summons last week."

"Ah, it does sound as though there are others. I hate to sound pessimistic but I wonder if they had their eye on someone and were waiting for them to apply."

Lottë smiled happily. "I wondered but my editor said that what they do is fish and then go public as they have to do by law once they've got four to six front runners."

"Cunning devils. It'll mean the competition's going to be stiff though."

"Yup. Let 'em come!"

"Good for you!"

Conversation then moved to families and they themselves to the kitchen for Robin to exercise his culinary skills which Lottë teased him about. She was full of praise though once she ate it.

After dinner they worked out how she should get to her interview and how long the journey would take. She decided to walk across Southwark Bridge with Robin and then catch a bus.

Robin took his courage in both hands. "Lottë, dear," he said, "I hesitate to say this but I do have one suggestion for you. Your glasses are very forbidding and may put the interviewers off. May I suggest that at one stage you take them off to clean them just so that everyone can see that you're not a tough old biddy but actually a very pretty young woman?"

Lottë looked searchingly at him for a full half minute before saying quietly, "Thank you, Uncle Rob. That's a good idea."

Robin said nothing, merely smiled at her.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.