Adventures of a Texas Ranger- Laredo - Cover

Adventures of a Texas Ranger- Laredo

Copyright© 2011 by BikeWriter

Chapter 4

They were awakened several hours later by Bert. "Come on you two. Wake up. I've got you a big meal almost ready. I ought to be mad at you, Jim." Bert teased, "Sleeping with my cousin that way!"

Angel rose and stretched sinuously and then, quick as a cat, she grabbed a small pillow from a nearby chair and attacked Bert with it! She chased him around and around the room with him yelling in mock pain and fear. Jim cheered her on loudly and she valiantly redoubled her efforts.

"See what you're getting into, Jim." Bert gasped when the two of them finally collapsed in a heap in the floor like a couple of tired puppies. "She's meaner than a whole nest of sun burned sidewinders!"

"I'll show you a snake!" Angel said, as she giggled at Bert. She hissed and then lunged at him, her mouth was open as if to bite him. Bert threw up both of his hands in surrender. "I give up! Uncle! I surrender!"

Bert's total capitulation seemed to satisfy Angel and she got up gracefully from the floor. She kissed Jim and told them in an exaggerated ladylike voice that she was going to freshen up before dining, and then she flounced her way out of the room.

Jim decided that she had a good idea. He was feeling sort of frazzled around the edges from his activities of the night before. He went to his room and stripped off his clothing and dumped some water from the pitcher on the washstand into the large basin.

He washed up, shaved, combed his hair, and put on fresh clothing. He felt like a new man! He slipped back on his comfortable pair of good boots as he thought about how much difference a little washing up made in how good a man felt.

About this time, the odor of frying steaks reached Jim and he realized just how hungry he was. He headed for the kitchen as Angel was coming out of her room with a fresh sundress on. She was as pretty as a picture!

Jim kept on with the play of the exit she had made earlier by bowing and asking her, "May I escort my lady to the dining room?" She curtsied and took his arm and they made a grand entrance with Jim strutting like a New Orleans dandy.

Bert had done himself proud as Jim soon told him. They had huge rare beef steaks that draped over the edges of their platters, a heaping bowl of skillet fried potatoes and onions with bacon, cream gravy, and a big iron Dutch kettle full of cat head biscuits. Jim especially enjoyed something that was a rare treat for him, a big glass of buttermilk straight from the cool spring house Bert kept his beer kegs in.

As Jim finished his meal and extended Bert one last compliment and thanks for the meal, Bert handed him a cigar. "I rarely smoke," Jim spoke, "but a meal like that one certainly deserves a good cigar. If Angel doesn't mind, of course."

Angel told them graciously, "I often enjoy the aroma of good tobacco, it brings back memories of my dear father." Bert leaned back in his chair and reached a bottle off of his sideboard and at Jim's nod he poured them each a drink. As in continental fashion, Angel had been drinking wine with her meal.

"Here's to fine company, great food, and good whiskey and cigars!" Jim toasted. He sipped his whiskey and reached over and grasped Angelina's hand. "It don't get no better than this."

"Alright Jim, what happened out at the Circle B?" Bert blurted out. "I waited 'til you rested and I fed you. Now I've got to know what happened!"

Jim looked sternly through his cigar smoke at Bert. He perversely enjoyed toying with Bert by delaying his story a little longer. "It ain't pretty! Surely you don't expect me to tell you what happened out there in front of our dear Angelina?"

"Angel's dying to know what happened, Jim. Just like the whole damned town is." Bert interjected. At this point Angel squeezed Jim's hand and told him she was no stranger to violence and she would probably be less fearful for him if she knew more about how he handled his Ranger duties.

Jim sighed deeply in feigned resignation, he leaned back and crossed his legs. "This whole thing boils down to a matter of philosophy." Jim calmly told them. "If there's one thing I've learned in life, it is there are few problems that can't be solved through a suitable application of high explosives."

He went on and told them what had occurred. He held back nothing, and he only slowed for refills of the whiskey. Angel's grip on his hand tightened as he related the perilous story and both she and Bert were totally in awe of him by the time he'd finished his tale.

Bert was shaking his head in amazement as he exclaimed. "You took on eight killer outlaws and won? Maybe you can handle Angelina! The Judge got so worked up and curious over your report to Buck he insisted the sheriff ride out to the ranch with him. I'm sure they'll be back here before long."

"My Darling!" Angelina said to Jim. "I am so proud and happy for you that you cleared up your Uncle's slaying, but would you please let someone help you next time?"

Bert rose from his chair. "Since I know now what went on I guess I'd better go mind my own business, so to speak. I've got a crowded saloon waiting to hear what really happened out there!"

Jim chuckled and spoke up. "I ought to make you cut me in on the profits, Bert, I seem to be very good for your business!"

Angelina and Jim retired to the same chair they'd been napping in before lunch. Angel curled up in his arms and they talked intimately for a while. Angelina confided to him. "Jim, you just don't know how dreadfully frightened I was for you!"

Jim tried to assure her. "Little Darling, I apologize for taking risks and I promise not to take any unnecessary risks in the future. I did think of you though, Angel. When I heard those men talking about killing Uncle Jack, I got so mad I headed straight for the door of the house. I was fixin' to go in amongst 'em and read to them from the Bible about an eye for an eye. but then I thought about you!"

"Madre de Dios!" Poor Angelina was so shocked by his admission she crossed her heart with trembling hands and reverted to her native language for a moment! Tears ran down her face as she spoke. "I kept a dozen candles burning throughout the night at the church; I vow to light a hundred candles in gratitude for God's mercy today!"

Bert's return interrupted their intimate conversation. He told Jim, "The Judge and Buck are back, they'd like to see you if it's alright."

Angel moved to another chair to avoid any cause for gossip and Jim spoke. "Please show them in!"

Bert showed Buck and Judge Parker, a distinguished southern gentleman, through from the saloon. If his demeanor and speech were an accurate indication, the Judge was impressed when he was introduced to Angelina. He genteely bowed over and kissed the small hand she extended to him.

The Judge told her gallantly, "I have heard many flowery reports of your glorious beauty, Senorita Cortez, but all of them have failed to do you full justice."

The Judge then turned to Jim. "Bert filled us in on most of the details, Ranger Horn. I'd like to hear the story in your own words later but right now I'll be content with extending my congratulations and admiration for a job well done! I intend to pen letters of commendation to the Governor and to Ranger Headquarters tomorrow!"

Jim managed to voice an embarrassed disclaimer. "Thank you very much for the thought, Judge Parker, but I was only doing my duty."

The Judge's enthusiasm wasn't dampened in the least by Jim's modesty. "I held an official inquest on the site of the circle B Ranch and my findings were death by suicide for all of the deceased! They should have known better than to try to evade arrest by an intrepid Texas Ranger. I'm quite certain you and your lady have a lot to talk about after such a trying adventure but if you could take just a few moments, I'm sure the citizens in the saloon would welcome a chance to congratulate Laredo's hero."

Jim wasn't at all used to the bragging that was being done about him. He wished he could beg out of the politicking. He knew a certain amount of backslapping and ass kissing were good for developing future cooperation, so he reluctantly agreed to let the Judge buy them a drink.

The crowd in the bar made room for their party to be seated at tables as they entered. The Judge asked for quiet from the crowd and then he gave a speech lauding Jim's efforts. "Above and beyond the call of duty," "at great personal risks," "in the highest tradition," and several other tired old cliches were used as Jim stood trying to will his ears not to turn red.

Jim was just coming to the conclusion the Judge must be up for reelection when he finally stopped speaking and turned and smiled proudly and expectantly at him. Jim spoke shortly, "I'm very pleased we solved the mystery of the death of your good friend and my beloved uncle, Jack Horn. I couldn't have done it without the close cooperation and guidance of Sheriff Buck Long and Judge Parker. Thank you very much!"

This short speech was met with thankful cheers from all and a general rush to the bar! The Judge bought their party a round and Jim found out just how popular he was as drinks kept appearing at their table. Angelina beamed proudly at Jim through the whole celebration.

After the Judge had several drinks he made another speech about Jim's "scouting". The crowd gave him a standing ovation when he told them about his official judgement of suicide in the matter of the outlaw's deaths!

The Judge then aroused the crowd again by telling them that it had just been reported to him that several questionable characters had been seen to leave town riding hard and not sparing the whip after they'd heard about the treatment Jim had given the Circle B crew! The crowd gave Jim another three cheers!

Several hours later Jim and Angelina were able to slip away from the party but only after more backslapping from the whole crowd. Angelina told Jim. "I must keep my vow about the candles! Could you walk with me to the store or do you have something important to do?"

"Sweetheart," Jim assured Angel, "I've finished my most urgent business in town and I don't see how I could have any business more important than being with you!"

Angel found a couple of wicker shopping baskets in Bert's storeroom. She handed one to Jim and they headed for the store. Everyone on the street hailed them and waved heartily. The storekeeper was just as happy to see them until Angelina told him what she required! "A hundred candles! Miss Angel, I don't know if I've got that many, but for you, I'll get them if I have to buy them from my competition!"

"Thank you Mr. Morgan!" Angelina answered sweetly. They counted out the candles from his stock and found he had just over six dozen in stock. Mr. Morgan showed his young son the type of candle they wanted and told him to fetch thirty from the store down the street.

Jim reached into his poke for some money and Mr. Morgan protested. "No, sir! I've got an account at the other store and you've both done so much for this town I can't accept your money for her votive candles! I'm a Deacon in the Baptist church down the street, and I might just light a candle or two in thanks myself tonight!"

"Thank you, Sir!" Both Jim and Angelina said as their faces lit up. Jim asked, "Well, Deacon Morgan, would you at least allow me to buy us all a sarsaparilla?" The Deacon opened their soft drinks for them and they all stood there chatting until the boy returned.

They loaded up the rest of the candles and thanked Deacon Morgan again, and then they headed for the church. Jim insisted on carrying both baskets for Angel. "They're not that heavy, Angel. It's easier to carry both of them 'cause then they're balanced."

When they reached the church they found the Priest in the chapel. He greeted Jim warmly. "I hear our Heavenly Father was with you last night, young man!"

"Thank you, Father. I'm sorry I worried everyone but it was something I had to do alone." Jim personally felt that Mister Samuel Colt deserved at least part of the credit for his survival, but if Angelina and the Priest felt God thought enough of him that He was working miracles for him he certainly wasn't going to attempt to dissuade them.

"Father, we brought some more candles tonight." Angelina showed the Padre the baskets.

"These candles will make a glorious light to show the depths of your gratitude and devotion!" The Priest assured Angelina. Father Mike helped them to set up the candles and Angel lit all of them herself. Jim knelt and bowed his head as she gave her thanks for his safety and then prayed for future heavenly intervention on his behalf.

As Jim and Angelina walked back to Bert's place, Angel told Jim she had received a message from her father after he had left the evening before. Her father had expressed his love and his support and confidence in her decision to marry Jim.

He had also written he would come to Laredo to visit them as soon as possible. The message had been dated several days before so there was no telling when his visit would take place. They each went reluctantly to their lonely beds to dream about the other.

Jim rose the next day and went down to talk to Buck about everything that had been going on. He respected the old man's opinion and insight and wanted to ask his advice about his possibly quitting the Rangers.

Quitting law enorcement was a damned big step but he knew Angel would never be totally happy with him being on the road chasing outlaws. His life for the last several years had been at least as disrupted as the lives of most of the people he pursued!

Jim and Buck were working on their second cup of coffee when Jim glanced out the open door and noticed Jasper running down the street toward the office. He burst in through the door!

"Sheriff Buck, Jim, please come quick! Bert sent me to tell you there's going to be trouble over at the saloon!" Buck followed Jim who was hot on the boy's trail as he headed back in the direction of the saloon. As soon as Jim saw the number of horses with Mexican rigs at the hitching rail he reached out and halted the boy. "How many of them are there, Jasper?" He asked.

"About six, sir. They came in asking about Angelina and Bert sent me to find you!"

"Buck, find us some scatterguns and come in the back! I'll try to stall them until you get set. Boy, here's you a dollar for fetchin' me, now you better get on home, you did real good!" Jim slowed down as he reached the saloon and unpinned and pocketed his Ranger badge and as calmly as he could, he swung wide the batwing doors and entered the saloon.

Jim knew he would be at a big disadvantage as he entered the dark building but he could think of no other way of finding out just how big of a problem there was without it. While he had definite misgivings about the unknown factors in this situation there was no doubt in his mind or heart that he would literally face the devil for Angelina!

The bar was empty except for Bert who was behind the bar and six formidable looking men dressed in the style of the Mexican vaquero who were standing at the bar. The one notable exception Jim saw from the vaquero style of dress were the ammunition belts crossing most of their chests.

Jim knew that underestimating any one of these men could be instantly fatal, but he also knew that while the bandaleros added vastly to their firepower they also could slow down their draws and their presence might indicate that they were soldiers instead of pistoleros.

All heads in the bar turned toward the door as Jim entered and walked to the end of the bar. Bert asked somewhat tensely if he would like a drink. "Sure, Bert, and I'll stand a round for these gentlemen, too!

The largest and perhaps the most dangerous looking man in the group turned and seemed to be evaluating Jim. He was not only taller than the rest of the men but he also had a massively wide chest and shoulders, beefy arms, and he had the fair complexion of many of the people of pure or almost pure Spanish blood.

"Gracias, Senor. Perhaps you could help me. I am Carlos Alvarez and I am here to escort Senorita Angelina Cortez back to her family in Monterey. No one in town seems to know where to find her. I wonder if you could help me locate her?"

Jim glanced at Bert out of the corner of his eye and saw him shake his head slowly from side to side. "Senor Alvarez, I am the Deputy Sheriff of Laredo and I am sure that I can help clear up this misunderstanding. If you gentlemen would enjoy that drink I bought for you I will return in a short while."

Jim exited out of the back of the saloon and found Buck, he was standing in the next rooms with scatterguns at the ready. "What do you have planned, Jim?" Buck asked.

"Where's Angel?" Jim asked as Jasper entered the room. She's back here in Bert's house" Jasper said. Jim burst into the next room and immediately saw Angel with a six-gun in her hand.

She had the gun pointed safely in the air but she was prepared to use it! "Senor Alvarez is not going to take me, Jim! He now works for General Diaz who burned our home and took over our lands!" Angel had obviously heard enough of the conversation to know what had been said in the bar.

"Let's find the Padre quick, Angel." Jim said, then he turned towards Buck. "I've got an idea that just might stop Alvarez cold!" They exited out the back door and headed across the yard.

"Here's Bert's horse in the yard, we'll just steal him for a while." Jim grabbed the gentle bay gelding's lead rope and looped it around the horse's neck and back to the halter where he tied it as an improvised set of reins. He easily lifted Angel onto the horse's broad back and leaped up behind her.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.