Adventures of a Texas Ranger- Laredo - Cover

Adventures of a Texas Ranger- Laredo

Copyright© 2011 by BikeWriter

Chapter 2

The Padre was a giant ruddy-faced bear of a man with a booming voice. Jim felt as if he liked the man already. As soon as they were seated, Father Mike spoke frankly to Jim with a strong Irish brogue. "Mister Smith, in all honesty I have to tell you that I have reservations about my ability to view this courtship from the unbiased and even handed stand I should have as a Priest. I have known Angelina for only a year but, I couldn"t love her more if she were my own child. She has done the work of a Saint with the poor wee children and the needy of this town and if any man should treat her dishonorably I'm afraid that it would force me to commit a grievous sin!"

"Padre!" Jim began, "Since we are speaking openly I can assure you that my intentions are most honorable. I have known Angelina little more than a week and closely for less than that but she has already conquered me heart and soul. I would cut off my right hand if it offended her in any way. I know that she is one of the dearest and rarest treasures in all the world and if she will be mine I will always treat her as such!"

The Padre was looking intently at Jim as if he were trying to look into his heart to see if he were being truthful as Jim resumed, "I know that your religion is very important to Angelina and I will do anything to see that it remains so to her. I, myself, was taken to be christened in the Cathedral in New Orleans by my mother who was of Louisiana French ancestry."

Jim knew that this disclosure would remove the Priest's objections of religion. He then pulled his Ranger badge from his pocket and held it out for them to see. "This badge will show you I'm not just a drifter, though Angel didn't know I had it until last night. My real name is Jim Horn. I ask you to keep it to yourselves, I will reveal it when I find out who is responsible for all of the recent trouble in Laredo."

"That honored badge of gold simplifies everything, Jim!" Father Mike reached out and grabbed Jim's hand in one huge paw and cuffed him powerfully with the other, "All praises be to our Holy Father in Heaven, now I know I can give my blessings to your courtship!"

Jim and Bert joined him in laughing in relief now that the serious business of the day had been settled! Angelina must have been eavesdropping because she immediately bolted in like a rowdy colt and joined in the joyous uproar. She had to hug each of them and each of them in their turn had to endure the Priest's rib crushing embraces.

Angel's musical laughter thrilled Jim so much that he impulsively grabbed her and squeezed her. She reached up and pulled his face to hers to kiss him long and passionately in their first kiss until the Priest objected good-naturedly. "Here now, children, don't kindle any fires you cannot quench! We'll have none of that until your union has been formally blessed."

Bert and Father Mike agreed that word had to be sent immediately to Angelina's father and brothers in Monterrey. Bert would send a wire and Father Mike and Angelina would each send letters. The Padre told them that he would inform her father that he would be chaperoning them for a short visit every week. When Angel interjected that they were both living in the same home now anyway, the Padre spread his arms and stated simply, "We are all responsible adults here, aren't we? The chaperoned visits and the counciling will satisfy the public need for decorum."

The Priest called out to a servant to bring some of the mission's vintage wine and he insisted on toasting Jim and Angelina several times. When they stood up to take their leave of the Padre, Jim found out that the wine was not only aged to perfection but was also extremely potent!

Their retreat back to Bert's house was a lot gayer than the restrained outward trip had been. "Would you like to ride down to the ferry while we have the buckboard, Angelina?" Jim asked.

"Certainly, Jim. If you'd like to!" Angelina replied.

"Take me on back by the saloon first, if you don't mind?" Bert asked. "For some mysterious reason, neither of the girls are feeling very well today."

At Bert's request Jim brightened up even more. "Certainly, Bert!" Jim noticed that Bert was looking slyly out of the corner of his eyes at Angelina, but she ignored his baiting and sat primly holding Jim's arm. They dropped Bert off at the saloon and Jim drove off to circle the town one time.

Angelina scooted considerably closer to him than she'd been with her cousin in the rig and she gripped his arm tightly. This brought her soft breast in contact with his arm. Jim was greatly enjoying the feeling of just being close to her but the intimate touch was very distracting to say the least!

"Father O'Rourke liked you very much, Jim." Angelina broke her silence.

"But that was only after I convinced him that I would never make him sin by breaking my head by mistreating you!" Jim told her.

"He actually said that to you, Jim?" Angelina laughed and covered her mouth demurely with her fan!

"The same as, and I can't say that I blame him at all." Jim told her. "He said he thought of you as the child he'd never have!"

When Jim saw Angel was blushing he told her, "You've got a lot of people in this town who love you, except maybe Darla and Gloria!" Angel blushed again, and Jim had to laugh about the glorious fight of the previous night.

Jim had driven down by the river; he stopped the horses and turned to Angelina, they both paused for a moment to look at each other as they embraced before they kissed passionately. He felt the wanting in her as his own heart beat a wild tattoo in his chest. Jim held her soft and willing in his arms. He asked her, "How long of an engagement do you think we must have to be proper, my love?"

"A very short one, my life, if I have any say in the matter!" Angel whispered in return.

They sat and talked for about an hour about their dreams and plans for the many long years in the future. A passing cowhand who waved his hat and grinned at them roused Jim from their communion. "I guess we'd best be getting back, I've got to go check with Buck."

When they arrived back at the saloon Jim hopped off of the rig and reached up to assist Angelina down. She stepped off of the rig into his arms and he took his own good time in swinging her down to the porch. "I'll see you again after I visit Buck." Their hands parted reluctantly and Jim took the buckboard back then he walked to Buck's office.

As Jim entered the office Buck looked up from the papers he was reading, he reared back in his chair and stretched his arms and shoulders. Buck saw Jim's lively step and silly grin. He remarked, "It surely must be fine to be young and in love!"

The Sheriff tossed the papers across the desk as Jim took a seat. Jim picked up the papers and scanned through them. "I see Jack Horn's murder is on top again." Jim remarked.

Buck's whole visage changed, his voice grew hard with malice. "I'll tell you right off this case is of very personal importance to me. Mustang Jack had been a close friend of mine since our days in the cavalry in the Indian Territory. We saved each other's lifes so many times it became a running joke between us. I've sworn myself to see that this crime is solved if it's the last thing on earth I do!"

Mustang Jack Horn had been a much admired local character and rancher for many years. He was also the main subject of any number of heroic tales of the Indian wars. He had been ambushed and killed two weeks before on the road into town from his ranch, the Rocking H.

Jim remembered Jack Horn as the loved and respected older brother of his father. His visits had been rare but were looked forward to by all due in part to the news and stories he related about the wild frontier life he lived. Jim's first handgun had been one uncle Jack had given him on one of his visits. Jack's greater gift had been some basic lessons about weapons and tactics that, after years of diligent practice, had kept him alive through the war and wild years of his Ranger career.

Jim had read in Buck's notes that Jack's neighbor, Bill Brown, had found him on the river road shot in the back. The bullet that had killed him had been from a standard .45 caliber handgun. No recent tracks had been found except those of Jack's and his neighbor's horses.

Old Jack had been game to his last breath; he had lived long enough after being bushwhacked to try to avenge himself. His old .44 caliber percussion six shooter had one ball fired from it. Jim felt a rush of bitter anger as he thought of the kind old man lying mortally wounded from behind but still fighting valiantly for his life!

The Sheriff spoke again; "There's been some talk about this Brown feller being into some rum deals before, that might've been a motive if Jack had caught him up to something. As far as I know there is no evidence that they'd had a falling out or of any words said between them."

Jim pondered this for a moment. "Then the two of them had no partnerships, Brown had no interest in the Rocking H?"

Jim froze stock-still when Buck spoke again! "Judge John Parker retrieved Jack's will from his box at the bank. He left five hundred dollars to his foreman and a hundred dollars apiece to each of his ranch hands. All interests in the ranch and other assets are to go to his deceased brother's only surviving son, the well known Texas Ranger Jim Horn."

Buck resumed his speech, "I sent word to the nearest Ranger Station, but I've heard nothing yet." He added wryly, "Aw hell, that's enough of this farce, Son. When I said that I'd thought that there was only one man in Texas was ever as fast with a six-gun as you I was talking about your Uncle Jack!"

Jim's face flushed and he sighed deeply before he told the Sheriff, "Alright Buck, you got me dead to rights. I ain't ever going to play cards with you again. Is my poker face really that bad?"

Buck stood and walked around the desk. "The next time that you try to fool a lawman about not being one yourself cover up that unfaded spot on your vest that your Ranger badge left. Besides, I knew Jack Horn for over forty years and you've got his big ears, them same blue eyes, and the same stupid grin! I made you as soon as I laid eyes on you, Jim!" Buck laughed at Jim as he slapped him on the back with one of his big, weathered hands.

Jim was glad that his secret was out in the open between him and Buck. The old timer and Jim had gotten very close in the short time they'd known each other. They talked for a while about their mutual admiration and love for Uncle Jack.

Buck then told Jim, "I figured to play along with you on your alias until you got the lay of the land. I'd guessed that you figured that you might have spooked some of these hellions in to running if you'd rode in wearing your Ranger badge and your right name. I've not told anyone about you except the Judge. He told me that your inheritance is proven as far as he is concerned and that you can take possession of the ranch anytime you want to!"

"Buck, I've got to think this over, I've been hit hard from my blind side just a few too many times over the last few weeks. I also see eye-to-eye with what you said about being close to a solution to this. Somehow, I get a feeling that some of these random crimes are just something to catch your eye while somebody gets what they're really after."

Buck empathized, "It's like the old shell game worked by a card sharp, I know exactly what you mean! Take your time, it'll soon come to one of us."

Jim took a walk around town. He thought about the ranch uncle Jack had left him; maybe there were clues on the ranch. He knew from his conversations with Buck that Uncle Jack had been a savvy rancher and had proved on several sections of land in his early years and had added more land later.

Of course, Jim knew the cows on this sparse borderland required many times the acreage of grazing compared to wetter lands to the east and north. According to Buck though, Uncle Jack had been cagey enough to acquire sections of land along the Rio Grande and several small creeks. He had also dug stock tanks with mule-drawn Fresnos and he had dug wells and erected windmills so that his cows would have access to plenty of water.

Jim decided to take the plunge and visit the banker and find out the current status of the accounts that he had inherited. Jack's recent profits or losses might give him a clue or possibly the ownership of the land would give him a leverage that he had lacked up to now.

He strode into the bank as if he were somebody to be reckoned with and asked to speak to the president. A young male clerk who was working on files at the front counter directed him to a large desk at the side of the room. A portly bearded gentleman seated at the desk rose as he gestured to a chair and took Jim's hand. "I am Asa Howard, how may I be of assistance, sir?"

I'm Jim Horn." Jim spoke as he took the offered chair. "I'm proud to meet you. I was just told I'm my Uncle Jack's heir. I wonder if you're familiar enough with the operation of the ranch to acquaint me with the extent of the estate."

"Judge Parker told me you might be in town soon, Mr. Horn. Your estate is being audited at the present but I have taken the liberty of making ample credit available to you. The ranch's profits have been declining for the last couple of years but I can assure you you still own one of our state's most solvent properties."

The banker fished a sheaf of blank paper from his desk. He quickly scribbled a figure on the paper then he slid it across the desk. "This is a conservative estimate of your ranch's cash assets at the present."

Jim accepted the paper and scanned the amount. He sat limply back in his chair! He asked, "This is in United States currency?"

Mr. Howard smiled, nodded, and offered Jim a cigar in answer. Jim silently accepted the cigar as the banker rose and came around his desk to extend a lit match. Jim finally regained enough of his presence of mind to light his cigar before the match burned the banker's fingers.

"Thank you, sir!" Jim managed to say to the banker.

"Oh, for the cigar? You're welcome, just part of the service for our larger investors. As far as the cash figure, you can thank your Uncle Jack. He was a very honest, frugal, and hard working man."

"Thank you, sir." Jim said to the banker, "I think that you'll find that at least some of those traits bred true in the Horn family." Jim pocketed the sheet of paper and again thanked the banker for his help. He walked on over to Bert's saloon to ponder his sudden change in fortunes.

Bert was bartending when Jim entered quietly and sat on a stool; he poured Jim a whiskey and remarked on his unusual lack of conversation. "Have you seen a ghost or something, Jim? You look plumb flustered to me."

"I guess I do have my feathers ruffled up just a bit, but I reckon as how it ain't anything I won't get used to in time."

Jim sat and savored his drink as he thought about the awesome responsibility of being left with a working ranch so many people relied on for a living. Then on the other hand, he considered all of the comfort and security he could provide for Angelina with those same inherited assets.

Jim told Bert about Jack leaving him the ranch and after Bert congratulated him on becoming a man of means Jim told him about his misgivings concerning the matter. "Somehow it just don't seem quite right to take something that I haven't earned for myself, but I know Uncle Jack wanted me to have it and keep it in the family."

Jim decided that he was just going to have to live up to the responsibility that had been left to him somehow and finally knuckle down and amount to something. In his own modest way, Jim considered the Ranger career he was so well suited for, chasing murderous outlaws and bringing them to justice, as having been too much fun to be a really respectable job.

When he walked from the back of the saloon into the house Angelina was busy reblacking the stove. "How'd you like having your own stove, Darling, and a big house to go with it?" Jim asked as she turned toward him. Her face lit up as she heard his voice and she put down the brush she held to rush into his arms. Jim looked down into her face as it hit him hard again just how beautiful she was. "You are the most lovely thing I've ever seen, and you don't even know what you do to me!" He had to tell her.

She squeezed him strongly as she told him, "You just wait until we are married and I will show you what I'll do to you! My Tia Elena is a very naughty woman; she has told me of the many things a man and woman can do for each other. I have often dreamed of having a loving husband to warm my bed on cold, winter nights!"

They kissed warmly as he caressed her smooth back with his hand. The feel of her soft, moist lips made Jim long to crush her to him. He was sure starting to feel frustrated from being intimate with a woman he couldn't play fast and loose with!

"Maybe there is something to that chaperone business, Angel. A man could get all in a lather just sparking a good-looking woman like you! Honey, I've got a real surprise to tell you about! We aren't as rootless as we thought we were. Buck told me he knows who I am and Uncle Jack was kind enough to leave me his ranch! He said as far as Judge Parker is concerned we could take possession any time we want. Would you like to ride out and see it?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.