David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 9

Tom did his best to concentrate on his work but what Susie had said disturbed him deeply. Why should Clive with a beautiful and intelligent wife of his own want to pursue Briony? He must be nuts if he thought she would respond to his advances. If nothing else he knew they were only relatively recently married. It just did not make sense but yet Susie had been utterly serious. His mind continued to go round in circles.

Briony has beaten him home and gave him his usual warm welcome but she could feel his tenseness.

"Had a difficult day, my Tom-Tom?"

"Not really but a peculiar one."

"Tell me."

"It's going to lead to quite a long discussion, I suspect, so do you want to wait?"

"Supper's easy so I'll just stick it in the oven while you pour us a drink and you can tell me over that. We can carry on with the discussion while we eat."

"OK."

A few minutes later they were snuggled together on the sofa.

"So tell me, my love."

Tom did so ending up, "It seems dotty but Susie was deadly serious."

Briony kissed him. "She could be right," she said, "and so are you because he's certainly not going to get anywhere with me and there's never going to be any hanky-panky between you and Susie. On the other hand, if he really has got the hots for me it may have caused him to think irrationally."

Tom nodded. "I'd hate there to be scandal or innuendo though and actually I think the company would be better off without somebody like that."

"Yes, darling, but you can't start spreading gossip or innuendo."

"No!"

"Do you think there's anything wrong with his marriage or his he just a predator?"

"I've no idea but I don't think he's the sort of guy to risk his career by being involved in a scandal."

"Hmm! I wonder whether he's up to something more devious."

"I can't think what."

"Nor can I. I think I might give Angela a ring."

"Is that a good idea?"

"I'm not sure myself but she can't have helped notice the attention he paid me the couple of times we've met so I could take it from there."

"OK, my Bri. I have faith in you."

She smiled tenderly up at him.

"I also love you, my darling Bri."

"And I love you, my precious husband. With your faith and love I shall be invincible. Kiss please."

Tom obliged enthusiastically.

Briony slipped out of the office at lunchtime the next day and rang Angela from her mobile. After the usual pleasantries Briony cut to the chase.

"Angela, ever since we had lunch with you I've been feeling slightly uncomfortable."

"What on earth for?"

"That we haven't invited the two of you here."

"Oh pooh! Think nothing of it."

"I do because I was worried that you might have thought I was flirting with Clive."

"Huh! He was flirting with you and I could see that you weren't enjoying it much. Don't worry, Briony, he's been doing it more recently. You aren't the only one but he did seem to be drooling more heavily over you."

"That's what worried me. He did seem to be coming on a bit strong. Does the name Susie Longfellow mean anything to you?"

"Wasn't she the girl Tom saved in West Africa?"

"Yes. Clive seems to think that she and Tom are having an affair and it worries both of us; not just the possible gossip but the possibilities that they might be sacked for improper conduct by work colleagues or some such."

"But that's rubbish, Briony. There's no doubt in my mind of your and Tom's love for each other."

"And Susie's head over heels with her fiancé."

"Briony, I can smell a nasty smell. I know he's bored with me. Let me have a couple of days or so to have a think and I'll call you back."

"Thanks, Angela."

Tom was impressed when she told him about the conversation that evening. "You've got a future as a detective or investigative journalist," he chuckled.

"A girl of many talents, that's me."

"Telling me." He gathered her into his arms and kissed her tenderly. "And a source of wonder and joy," he added.

Briony squeezed him. "Good," she smiled happily. "I'd hate you to get bored with me."

"I can't see that happening, my darling one."

"I aim to make sure it doesn't."

He kissed her again gazing into her emerald eyes. "Loves yer," he whispered.

"Same to you, my old cock robin."

Angela was as good as her word. She rang on Saturday. Clive had gone off to watch a football match. Briony switched on the speakerphone so that Tom could join in the conversation.

"Let me give you some background," Angela said. "Clive is ambitious and a go-getter. He swept me off my feet and I married him despite some concerns voiced by my mother. I realise now that she was right. Yes he married me for my looks but he also married me for my money and social status. As a result he's the youngest director in the company and aims to become Chief Executive and if possible Chairman. As I told you, Briony, I've served my purpose and he'd like a newer model but he's got to get rid of me without a scandal. I don't know how he plans to do that but he'll find it difficult as I don't sleep around. I suppose he could tamper with the brakes on my car or something. Anyway, that's largely beside the point. It seems, as you two and Susie have guessed, that you, Briony, are my intended replacement."

"Isn't he being a bit premature?" wondered Tom.

"It certainly seems so but I suspect that lust has overcome common sense."

"Hmph!" snorted Briony. "A fat lot of good that's going to do him."

"I agree but I think that Tom and Susie's 'affair' is a ploy to get you to become suspicious of Tom. I think he hopes that someone will find them in a compromising position. You will then divorce him and become available to this kind, caring and sympathetic man."

Briony laughed mirthlessly. "Another fat lot of good," she said.

"If he starts spreading rumours though," chipped in Tom, "Susie and I could still find ourselves chucked out."

"Which means we've got to nip it in the bud," added Briony.

"That's rather what I thought," said Angela.

"Any bright ideas?" asked Tom.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.