After the Change - Cover

After the Change

Copyright© 2011 by Old Fart

Chapter 3

BEV

Dreamer finished telling us that we were part of the chosen few left alive in a world that had been practically wiped out basically because of greed and then we were back at the ranch on horseback as if nothing had happened. I took Val's hand and looked around. It looked like the place we knew until you took a good look, then everything was different. The adults looked like they were in shock while Kyle, Vicky and Christina merely looked confused. Grace said something about checking out her place and she, her kids and Vicky took off. Burt was looking around like he couldn't believe his eyes while Maria just sat on her horse like a statue. She said something about not being consulted about the change, then went to look at her garden.

Val squeezed my hand then said that we were going to check out the rest of the ranch. We'd barely started off when Alfie joined us.

We urged our mounts into a nice ground eating lope and everyone was soon out of sight. Val held out his hand and we slowed to a walk.

"I've seen them like this before when something's changed that they couldn't control. It's best to just leave them for a bit to absorb it. The last time had to do with some new taxes and before the dust was settled a couple of county supervisors were out of a job."

"Somehow I don't think they're going to be able to do that this time."

"No, I don't think so. But they still need to figure out where they are. A bunch of us bugging them, asking questions they can't handle yet is that last thing they need. Grace said something about coming back tomorrow for breakfast and then coming up with a plan. If we just let them be until then, we'll be welcome, too. If we try to get them looking at a plan right now, somebody's gonna say something they'll be sorry for and feelings are gonna be hurt.

Alfie seemed happy to get the chance to run with us. He's a magnificent animal. Being the male of the trio, he's about a head taller than the other two. You can see the muscles beneath his skin, like steel bands, ready and willing to put him in motion, whether for a run or to attack his prey.

We had some experience with Subi the day before. Was it really just a day ago? Listening to Dreamer, it gets pretty confusing, but as far as I'm concerned, it was the day before today so I'll call it yesterday. Anyway, Burt sent Val and me to follow Subi with a cart to get something for dinner. I could tell she was holding back, even though Val and I were going full speed. The cart slowed us down some but we were still hauling ass. I know I'd never run that fast before and was really enjoying putting my new body to the test.

Subi spotted a small herd of deer at a watering hole and she took off, making us look like we were standing still. The deer didn't even have a chance to react. There were a couple of does with fawns, another doe and the buck. He was a few feet behind them, his head in the air, keeping a lookout while they drank. He turned his head just as the unattached doe lifted hers. At that instant, Subi went for the doe's neck. She went down and the others took off in a flash.

She looked at them running off, then looked at us as if to ask if she should get another. I told her she'd done good and it was enough for today.

As magnificent and as powerful as Subi had been, Alfie was just a little more. He was loping along a few feet ahead of us, like a scout, when I saw him tense up. He didn't get stiff; his muscles were working just as smoothly as before but I could tell he was ready to go into action.

A few seconds later, I saw the reason. A rather nervous herd of sheep was just around the bend.

I clucked my teeth and he reluctantly turned around to see what I wanted.

"Alfie, leave the sheep alone. You can take Subi and Betty out to hunt something wild tomorrow or you can find something when one of us takes you out. But the sheep are off limits."

He still kept an eye on the herd, but he backed down. That was part of my ability. I knew how to talk to him and I knew that he understood and would follow, even if he didn't like it. I sent some quiet thoughts over to a couple of skittish sheep

There was a dark skinned boy watching over them, maybe 12 or 13, holding a staff in his hand. He'd placed himself between us and the herd, ready to defend them with his life if necessary.

"It's OK, I called out to him. He won't hurt you or your sheep."

I could see him relax a bit as he smiled and nodded at me.

I thought everything was handled when I heard a growl and saw a border collie flying through the air straight at Alfie. Alfie immediately went into defensive mode, his hair standing up on his back and his teeth showing as he snarled at the collie.

The boy reacted before I could. He swung his staff and it hit the collie on the shoulder, knocking her away. She landed on her side and I could actually hear the wind knocked out of her as she hit the ground. I saw the boy wince when he hit his partner but what he saw next put a look of terror on his face. As soon as the dog hit the dirt, Alfie was on her, his jaws open around her neck.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.