Some Kind of Hero - Cover

Some Kind of Hero

Copyright© 2011 by Sea-Life

Chapter 17

The doorbell rang about fifteen minutes after I'd hung up with Mr. Chalmers, while I was staring into my newly semi-filled fridge trying to decide what I was going to have for dinner.

"That was fast," I said as I opened the door, but rather than the male figure of Mr. Chalmers that I'd been expecting, it was a small, plump 40-something woman.

"Oh excuse me, Mr. James," she said in a familiar voice. "I know I shouldn't have dropped in unexpectedly."

"Not at all ... Mrs. Ibarra?" I ended in a question, though I had little doubt of her identity.

"Please, its Edwina," she reminded me.

"Of course, please come in!" I stepped aside and waived her in. "I was expecting the technician for the internet company to be coming by. When the doorbell rang, I thought you were him."

"Well, I won't stay long," she said, which was when I noticed the foil-wrapped object in her hands. "I thought to drop something by for you, in case you hadn't gotten yourself situated."

"Thank you, that's very kind," I offered sincerely. So much for my dinner plans. "I've put a few things in the fridge, but had just been staring at it trying to decide what to do for dinner tonight."

"Ah, well this is just a simple bean and rice casserole, but I think you'll like it, and it should refrigerate well if you decide on something else. Let me put it in the fridge for you for now."

I watched her nod to herself, as she put the casserole dish away. "Well, at least you haven't filled it with beer," she laughed. "Your parents said you weren't much of a drinker, but their information was a few years out of date."

"Yeah," I said, wondering what had happened to keep Cooper and his parents apart so long.

"Did you find the bar yet?" she asked. When I said no, she took me into the living room and showed me how a very nice looking piece of furniture I had though was a display case for some small decorative items pulled out to reveal a small bar with a small sampling of bottles, glasses and various other associated odds and ends. I was examining the labels on the bottle when the doorbell rang again.

"That will be the internet guy," I told Edwina.

"I'll leave you then," she offered, "I just wanted to stop by with with the casserole and say hello."

We walked to the door and I opened it to find a balding man somewhere past middle-age with dark hair peppered with gray and large glasses that rendered him somewhat owlish-looking. The mustache that connected to bushy mutton chop sideburns completed what I thought was a rather unique look.

"Mr. Chalmers?" I asked.

"Mr. James, a pleasure to meet you," he reached out a hand and we shook. "Edwina, a pleasure seeing you again."

"You too, Bobby. How's Julie?"

"Due to pop any minute. I'm glad to get away from the mad house for a little bit today."

Mrs. Ibarra raised her arms up looking for a hug, so I bent down and let her give me one. She held it a moment, patting my back before easing back a bit to kiss my cheek before letting me go. "Once again Mr. James, I'm so sorry about your parents. I hope you can find some happiness here, and I'll see you Tuesday."

With that and a smile for the both of us, she left. I closed the door behind Mr. Chalmers who had been standing the whole time with his arms full.

"What a nice lady," I said as we walked into the living room.

"That she is," he agreed. "The whole family is just the salt of the earth."

"Where do you want to start?" I asked.

"Basement first," he said, setting the bigger of the two boxes down beside the coffee table.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.