Antagonists - Cover

Antagonists

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 7

Gina's anger and resentment flared again after Dan had left her room only to be quickly replaced by misery. It was all very well for Dan to say that life was unfair but she had lost her father, her beloved father. She had no close relations left. She did not even consider her grandparents nor had she given a thought to the unhappiness they had suffered too. On the other hand, Dan had made sense about Molly having lost two husbands. He had also made sense about Molly looking out for her and she was genuinely fond of her. She resolved to make it up to her.

Bloody Dan though. So bloody righteous. He ought to have been a priest rather than a schoolmaster. The trouble was that when he ticked her off he was nearly always right, blast him. Her father would not have been pleased with the way she had behaved for the last month. She had been selfish, thoroughly selfish. The misery returned. She was not sure she liked herself very much.

She washed her face and brushed her hair and then, taking a deep breath, went downstairs. Potatoes were boiling on the hob and Molly and Dan were sitting at the kitchen table with a drink. Both of them smiled at her. She went to Molly.

"Molly," she said, "I've been treating you horribly since Daddy died. I'm sorry." She bent and kissed her.

Molly put an arm round her waist. "I understand, Gina dear. Are you going to have a drink with us?"

"Yes please. Is there any white wine?"

"I'll get it for you," said Dan. "You just sit yourself down."

Gina looked at him in surprise and received a warm smile. She did as she was told.

"Have you got any plans for Saturday?" Molly asked her.

Gina shook her head.

"I'm planning to ride on the Plain. Want to join me?"

Dan put a glass of wine in front of her and squeezed her shoulder with his free hand.

"I'd love to."

Daisy had been retired now. She was twenty-two and had a very grey muzzle. Denise's youngest child was still riding Buttercup though. They had bought two more horses: a gelding called Star for Molly and a mare called Cally for Gina.

"Will you be around, Dan?" Gina asked.

"Saturday afternoon? Not a hope: games. I'd like to come for supper though."

"Of course," said Molly. "Will you stay the night?"

"Yes but I've got to be back for chapel at eleven, hobbies in the afternoon and middle school reading in the evening."

"Reading?" asked Gina.

"After tea Arthur reads to the seniors in the drawing room. I read to the middle school in the library and Betty reads to the juniors in the schoolroom."

"Golly! We never had anything like that at my school."

"Very superior school, Red Hall," grinned Dan.

Conversation went on. Gina slowly relaxed and found she was enjoying herself.

After that life returned pretty well to what had gone on before James's death. Molly was immensely proud of and grateful to Dan for bringing Gina round. He was clearly enjoying his job and finding it rewarding. Molly watched his confidence grow which meant he was generally more relaxed and light-hearted. Even Gina had to admit to herself that he was becoming more fun.

Gina started going out with her friends again. They were mostly ones she had made at school who lived locally. She had also made two at work, Cass (Molly thought it an appalling abbreviation of Cassandra) and Sue. That was just as well as her school friends had all gone up to university and so were only home during vacations. Cass and Sue were both pretty and vivacious girls. Cass was quite tall and Sue was tiny. Dan nicknamed them Little and Large after the two television comics. They affected to be upset but were actually quite amused.

It was not as though he saw a lot of them but he nevertheless got to know them. Cass flirted with him which he quite enjoyed. Sue did not and he was puzzled by her behaviour. She was just as lively as Cass and he could hear her joining in the conversation and banter when he was not in the room. Whenever he joined them though she went quiet and bashful. He shrugged it off. It was not as though he saw them that often. Gina said nothing. Neither did Molly but she realised what it was.

One Friday evening Dan came home for the night. Both girls were there for supper before going out clubbing. Dan was not happy about three girls going out on their own but kept silent. He slipped away from the hubbub in the kitchen and went to sit with a drink in the drawing-room looking forward to quiet, gentle conversation later with his mother. Sue came in.

"Hi, Sue!" he said smiling at her.

Sue looked at the floor. "Um, Dan," she said shyly, "my branch, um, has got a dinner-dance next Friday and we're allowed to bring a ... um ... friend. I, er, wondered whether you'd like to come with me."

"Thank you, Sue. It's very kind of you to ask me. But are you sure? You hardly know me."

Sue glanced up at him. "Please, Dan. I ... I'm quite sure." She looked down again quickly.

"Well, in that case, yes please. I'd love to come. Do I have to dress up?"

Sue's face lit up. "Oh thank you, Dan!" she exclaimed and then shy confusion took over again. "Um, no, just a suit. We're going to the Elms."

Dan smiled at her. "Very smart. You sure I don't need a dinner jacket?"

Sue nodded. She was now incapable of speech just thrilled that Dan had accepted her invitation.

"So what time do I pick you up and where do you live?"

"Um, 17 Cathedral View and it starts at eight."

"OK. I'll pick you up at five to and then we'll be the required ten minutes late."

She giggled and then looked down at her feet. Slowly her eyes came up again. "Thank you, Dan," she said softly.

"Nonsense," said Dan gently. "I should be thanking you."

She looked at him for a moment and then without a word ran back to join Gina and Cass.

Molly joined him. "Got a girlfriend then?" she teased.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.