She Took It All
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2011 by happyhugo

We had just made it to the brook when all three kids came running up to us. Kathy said, "Mom wants you back at the house. We kids are supposed to stay at the neighbors until you come get us."

"Why?"

"Mom got a call from Grandma Waters about Daddy. I think he is coming here." They ran down the path to the people next door. I waited until I saw them go inside the house.

"Crap. Shelly's ex is not friendly like mine is. She even had his pay garnished to get something for the kids. I guess you had better leave. I don't want you to get mixed up in our problems."

"Naw, I think I will stick around. I would like to talk to your ex-wife. I am curious as to why you let her get away. She's beautiful."

"She is attractive. In a way, she may be better suited to you than she was to me. Talk to her, if you want."

When we reached the house I asked, "What's happening, Shelly?"

"Mom Waters called and said Ronnie isn't taking me and you getting married very well. He went out, got drunk last night, and has been drinking all morning. His friend Benny, and Pam who Ronnie dates, may be headed our way. She called to warn me. Pam is driving."

"Who is Ronnie mad at, you or me? Do you know this Benny?"

"I've met Benny. He is big, but not too bright. She said Ronnie has been cussing you out steadily since last night. She also claims Benny keeps saying, you can't do that to his friend, and, he will fix you. John, I'm worried. I think I can handle Ronnie, but Benny is just too big for you. I think we should call the police."

"I hate to, Sweetheart. If they come here, let us see if we can handle it reasonably? Elizabeth can stand by with the phone if I can't run away fast enough."

Shelly peered closely at me until I smiled and then she smiled too. "You're not concerned at all are you? Well if you aren't, then I'm not either. I remember how you handled that man who was pestering me on the thruway."

Elizabeth asked what that was all about. Shelly went into detail. My ex-wife could not believe what she was hearing about me. "John, you never let on about being trained to fight."

"I didn't train to fight. I learned how to protect myself and any other who needed protection. The occasion never arose when I was married to you."

"Nine years I was married to you and I'm just now finding out things I wasn't aware of. There wasn't another woman was there?" She said this jokingly, so I knew she wasn't serious. She would have been extremely surprised if there had been. As I say, we had been true to each other while married.

"No, but there could have been. I took my vows seriously, and you knew that. Why are we having this conversation?"

"No reason I guess." Neil Fortier and Shelly had been listening to this exchange.

"No dirty linen, damn." Shelly laughed when she said this, and then we all did.

Just then, a car came to a stop at the entrance to my driveway. I opened the door and we all went out. Ronnie came staggering up the drive. Shelly intercepted him. A big man, who I knew must be Benny, came around them and headed for Neil, Elizabeth and me. I guess he thought Neil was the man he was looking for and charged at him.

It was for me to intercept. Neil ducked and made way for me to face Benny. Benny hadn't got into his mind who he was after and still had his attention on Neil. I dropped down and balancing on my hands, I kicked with both feet as Benny came forward. I got him good, right in the center of the gut, which sent him back peddling. When he came for me again, I whirled and my foot caught him in the back of the thigh. He went down this time.

Immediately he rolled over and started to puke. Tears were coming from his eyes. "You don't fight fair."

"Well, what was I supposed to do, let you hit me?"

In the meantime, Ronnie was screaming at Shelly, who was trying to talk him out of his belligerence. Finally, she slapped him. He raised his fist, but then became aware that there were four people facing him and his friend was rolling on the ground barfing and trying to get up. He backed off and quieted down.

"Shelly, how can you do this to me? I love you."

"What about the woman driving your car? Do you love her? She believed you when you said you did. Ronnie, you have been drinking and don't know what you want. You have to move beyond me. I'm getting married next week. Because of the girls, I still want to be friends. I haven't tried to prevent you from seeing them and I will not.

"Look at the woman standing beside John. That is his ex-wife and Jimmy is their kid. I imagine John and his ex still have some love for each other and I'm okay with that. You and I can do the same. I will still love you a little bit if you will stop being such an ass. We have two wonderful children together. It will have to be enough."

Ronnie stood there with his head down. His thought processes had been slowed by the amount of drinking he had done. "Now introduce John to your girlfriend. John is always willing to spring for a beer. Benny needs one to sweeten his mouth, and I really would like to tell Pam about my wedding." She motioned for Neil and Elizabeth to go get the woman from the car.

I helped Benny up. He could only hobble, for the kick to the thigh had given him a leg cramp and I imagine it would show a good-sized bruise. We all went inside and I got beer for the men. Shelly offered wine and the girlfriend, Pam, said she would like a glass. Pam was a cute, petite woman with brown hair and older than Ronnie. Elizabeth and Neil ducked out the back door to get the kids when Shelly asked Ronnie if he would like to say hi to his girls.

They came in and went to their father. He kissed them on the cheek. Kathy said, "Dad, you've been drinking. You've got to quit. You're going to get into some kind of trouble if you don't."

"I know, Sweetheart. This is the last beer I'm ever going to have. Your new step-dad gave it to me and I'm just drinking it to be polite."

"Dad you're just as funny as ever, but I love you anyway. Hi Benny, hi Pam, it was nice of you to drive Dad over to see us even if he is drinking."

I helped Benny out and into the back seat of the car where he could stretch his legs and stop the pain where I had kicked him. I had a word with Pam. "Don't bring Ronnie here again in that condition. I won't be as easy with him as I was this time." She nodded that she understood. I didn't say anything to Shelly, but Pam appeared to be too good for Ronnie.

I invited Neil to come back again as he was leaving. "The women are all tied up with this wedding thing that is happening."

Shelly came up and batted me playfully. "Come by tomorrow. Come for dinner. I'll cook up a pot roast." I noticed that Elizabeth lingered beside his car and talked for several minutes before he drove away.

Before she came in, Shelly said, "Elizabeth likes Neil. I am glad you invited him back. She is hoping he will ask her for a date."

"You know if it was the old Elizabeth she would have already asked him for one herself. I suspect her bad time in Paris has colored her outlook and she has given more thought to what and how she should do things."

"Could be. I do know she was impressed with your actions today. I was too, but then I was not that surprised. I do believe I have caught myself a wonderful man."

"I'm damned impressed with you too. I saw you slap Ronnie. Force is good when used as needed, but after that it is just unnecessary."

"My thoughts exactly. John, there is something that concerns the children I want to bring up. We haven't discussed it, but we should."

"What is that, Love?"

"Do you want to adopt the girls and have us all with the same name?"

"It would be nice I guess. Girls though, are going to have a name change when they get married anyway. If they do change now, then they will have two name changes. Kathy is old enough to decide. Sandy wouldn't understand, but we can explain and set an age when she could decide. We'll talk to them. Let's not get into that this week unless they bring it up."

"Okay. John, what do you know about Neil?"

"Not much. I haven't had much time to talk to him yet. I do know he or his mother, Molly Fortier, own many of the old factory buildings where my warehouse is located. They have been looking for a way to find a use for them. Go search the internet for information about the Fortier's when you have a minute."

Shelly went in and booted up the computer. Elizabeth wondered what she was up to when she came in and I just told her to go see. They found a bio on a Frank Fortier, former industrialist, now deceased, that was highly interesting to them. There wasn't much about Neil, just his address and that he was the son of Frank and Molly (Baker) Fortier. It also stated that Neil Fortier had passed the Bar in this state two years ago.

There was nothing on Molly Fortier, except that she was the widow of Frank Fortier, deceased, and had inherited his holdings. The two women printed out what they had found and showed it to me.

Frank was more than three times Molly's age when they married. She had been his third wife, the other two predeceasing her. He had inherited his holdings from his father and grandfather. As the demand for manufacturing had disappeared, Frank had to lay off his workers and then sold the equipment in the buildings.

He had set up funds to keep the empty buildings in fair repair, which meant the roof and the foundations. He had in mind the buildings would at some future time would become valuable again. In the meantime, they were under the care of a real estate management company.

I confirmed this as this was who I had approached to get my lease. I had only investigated deep enough to determine who actually owned the buildings.

Elizabeth asked the question, "So, is Neil worth anything or not? I don't want to get involved with another person like Brian was."

"Who knows? You might date him until you discover if he is."

"He asked me for a date just before he left. I said I would see what my schedule was. What do you think?"

"Do you want to go out with him?"

"Yes."

"So, you were never timid before. You certainly weren't when you convinced me to go out with you and I ended up married to you. That hasn't turned out too badly has it?"

"Is that the way you really feel about me, John?"

"Now I do."

"Thank you John." I'll be damned, Elizabeth got immediately emotional and we watched her go down to the back apartment.

"John, kiss me. That was the nicest thing to say to your ex-wife."

"If I'm so nice, how about feeding me? I'm hungry. I have to keep up my strength for what's to come, you know?"

"I'll feed you, for I guarantee you will need your strength tonight and every night from now on."

Elizabeth was done up as only she knew how to when Neil came for dinner Sunday. I suppose class showed for there was no anxiousness or gushing by either party. You could tell though, that Neil wanted an answer to the question if she would go out on a date. She made it easy for him. "Neil, I've secured tickets to a play this evening. Would you like to attend with me?"

"Certainly, I would love to escort you. John and Shelly, that was a wonderful dinner. I must return the favor soon. If not this week then after you are married. I meant to ask you. Will you be going on a honeymoon?"

"No honeymoon for the present. I'm too busy right now. Elizabeth has invited us all to her place for the Christmas holidays. Shelly and I will get away a few days at that time. She has a large home and there is plenty of room for the kids and any other guests she happens to invite."

Elizabeth could enter her apartment by the outside door, so Shelly and I didn't know what time she returned from her date. It must have been late, for she did not come to breakfast before I had to leave in the morning. I informed all of the people who worked for me that I was taking Friday off from work. I was getting married, for which I had to endure some kidding and ribald jokes.

Most of these people had become acquainted with Shelly over the last few months and were genuinely pleased we were getting married. I was informed that evening when I reached home that all the plans were set. We would say our vows in a little chapel of a nearby church.

My grandparents had insisted on paying for a wedding party dinner Friday night. Shelly's parents were paying for dinner after our vows were said. There was to be no reception as such. Both dinners were in the same room at a restaurant that Shelly and I had often frequented.

Elizabeth had wanted big, with live music for us, but Shelly, said no way. This was our wedding and thank you for getting our guests here and reserving places for them to stay, but that was enough. We just wanted a place to celebrate with the kids being in a comfortable setting.

Elizabeth and Neil had another date on Wednesday. I laughed as he and I were supposed to talk sometime about the empty factory buildings and what I thought would be the best use for them. They weren't mentioned and I didn't know when they would be. It was eight o'clock in the evening when the phone rang. Shelly answered. "Hello."

"May I speak with John Rheingold, please?"

"Who may I say is calling?"

"My name is Mrs. Molly Fortier. I have some questions I would like to ask him."

"Just a minute. He is relaxing in the living room."

I picked up the phone. "Yes, this is John Rheingold. What can I do for you?"

"I understand you have met my son recently."

"I have. He was here for dinner last Sunday."

"I also understand he and you have discussed some old buildings I have title to."

"That is correct, but not in depth yet. I rent one of them myself, through your management company. Why is there some question about the lease?"

"No. Actually, this is something more personal. It concerns your ex-wife."

This surprised me. Then I thought she must have been trying to protect Neil from falling into some woman's vile clutches. "I don't think I should discuss my ex-wife with you. It just wouldn't be right."

"Don't want to trash her, is that it?"

"Why would I want to do that? She is the mother of my son. A very good mother, I might add."

"Did she cheat on you?"

I didn't answer her. Then I said, "You're good. Look, I tell you what. I'll meet you for an hour any place you want. We will be meeting eventually. It might as well be tomorrow. I'm tied up after that for the rest of this week because I'm getting married on Saturday. I will leave you with this truth. Both Elizabeth and I lived up to our vows while we were married. Now would you like to meet with me and where?" She would be expecting me at ten in the morning at her home.

Shelly thought this was hilarious. "You know, I bet if Elizabeth had cheated on you, you would deny it. In good conscience, you cannot hurt anyone. I wish I could go meet her with you."

"You can. The kids will be in school. Elizabeth can fend for herself for a couple of hours. Why don't you come with me?"

"Okay, I will." We were both curious about a woman we were to meet. Neil was a handsome looking man, a little taller than I was. We surmised from what we had found on the internet, Molly Fortier must be in her early to mid 40s. Other than that, we had no description of her.

I was in bed already. "Another one of those anniversaries tonight, right?"

"What do you mean?" Then she screamed, "You proposed to me a week ago tonight. Oh my God, how could I have forgotten? I'll make it up to you!"

I left Elizabeth a note that we would return about noon. She was having late nights out with Neil. Shelly and I went by the store before our meeting with Mrs. Fortier. We received good wishes and hugs from all those present again when we shared we were planning to marry.

Frank Fortier and his ancestors, who had built the factories, evidently didn't want to be far from the center of their activities for they built homes close by. There were three of these large, stately, stucco, homes grouped in a little cul-de-sac. Built today, they would be considered ugly, but in the previous century they would have been considered modern and in style for these manufacturing barons.

There were two workers removing screens and putting up storm windows on the center one. The house we were looking for had already had this done. We drove up the circular drive and stopped before the front entrance. "Do we go in the front door?"

"I don't know. It doesn't look as if it gets much traffic. There is a bench with some painting supplies almost in front of it. I guess we had better find a side entrance. There is a walk around on the left." We got out of the car and started around.

Just then, the front door opened, catching the corner of the bench and tipping it over, spilling cans of paint and tools. A doll of a woman came out and looked our way putting up her hand to wait. She scurried down the veranda and screamed at one of the workers next door. "Billy, get your lazy ass over here and clean up this fucking mess. What in hell were you thinking blocking the door like that? I got guests to tend to and you've gone and made me look bad in front of them."

She came back and beckoned us up the steps. "Hard to find good dependable help now-a-days. Come in, I was watching for you. Neil hired that prick and didn't do too well at it. It takes a lot of looking at a man before I would hire a person.

I couldn't determine how old this woman was. I knew Neil was twenty-six. She was a petite woman, only a little over five feet. She had on a short blue dress, form fitting on top that flared out slightly and stopped two inches above her knees. Her legs were well formed and would look good on a twenty-year old.

The skin of her face was smooth and unwrinkled and her bust was just right for the size of her. Not overly large and on a woman of Shelly's stature it would be minuscule. She had light brown curly hair and as we came up to her, I could see it was sprinkled with a few gray hairs. I thought she was a doll and I upgraded that to sexy doll when we were close.

"Come in. Call me Molly and I'll call you John. This is your soon to be wife, I take it." I made the introduction. "Let's go into the nook where I spend most of my time. Most of this old ark is depressing after a bit. More like a mausoleum. Frank's ancestors had money and wanted to show they had a bank full so they built big.

"It is kind of early, but would you like whiskey or something. That bullshit about not drinking before noon is just that. I can make a pot of coffee or tea if you prefer?"

"Coffee would be fine."

"Good, I was trying to gauge if you were a drinking man. I have a coffee ring to go with the coffee. Frank liked his sweet things so he made sure I learned after I came here. I did not know from nothing, you know. I was an orphan peddling my pussy on the streets when he found me. He brought me home, knocked me up with Neil and then proceeded to educate me.

"I slip back sometimes, and I guess you have seen that this morning. Frank's wife before me sucked sour pickles and when he found me, he was looking for happy times. God was he ever a good man and did I ever love him. He made me happy and I know I made him happy. I wish he were alive today. He's been gone eleven years now.

"He took a time dying and set everything up so I would have an easy time of living for the rest of my life. 'Course he didn't know the world was going to speed up and what we had set up back then wasn't going to last forever. That is why I'm interested in your ex-wife. Is she going to take what Neil has and dump him, leaving him with nothing? Neil has only a couple million left and I will tell you this, that boy needs some looking after.

"He's my son and I love him to death. He's intelligent and handsome and talks good, but someone needs to light a fire under his ass. Why'd you and your wife split, anyway? Tell me about yourself."

"Not too much to tell. I'm working class and met a woman who wanted to change me into a rich person. She gave me every chance to become what she wanted me to be. I have to say I gloried in it at first. I mean if we felt like going to the Kentucky Derby or skiing in Colorado or wintering in Aruba, we did. However, over time, I realized this year was just like last year and all we had done was make someone else a living.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.