Tempest of Lies - Cover

Tempest of Lies

Copyright© 2011 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 19

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 19 - Amanda has once again been ripped from a life that she knew into one that is unknown, but this time not by her own choice. Reduced to a mere possession, her independence seems doomed to be crushed by the Urisi slave system. Yet even far from Oceanus, events conspire to draw her into the fray once more, as the Inonni realize that bringing "Enlightenment" to Oceanus is not as easy as they had hoped.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"I apologize for contacting you at such a late hour, Guildmaster," said the shimmering Farview image of Marlon as Uroddus fumbled with his spectacles and the sash on his robe. When Katla appeared just as she managed to close her own robe more securely over her breasts, Marlon added in a more contrite voice, "And for, ah, interrupting anything."

"It is all right, Marlon," said Uroddus in a slightly rushed voice. "I am assuming what you have to tell me is of great import."

"I wouldn't have thought so if I hadn't gone over these readings several times myself before I contacted you."

"Readings?" Katla said. "Wait, you mean the Inonni Portals? Did Jothan send you something already?"

"Yes, and he's lucky I kept the receiver orb for his spy pearls active or I would've never gotten it!"

"What did he find out?" Uroddus said. "Can you transmit it to us?"

"That'll take some doing. I was never as good at those types of spells as he is. I may have to send you the pearl I recorded them to."

"At least give us some idea what he found!" Katla piped.

"The readings show the Inonni are indeed cycling the Overlord Portal on its transdimensional setting."

"Which is exactly what we thought they were doing!" Katla cried. "So that was not just coincidental patterns in the noise!"

"But it does not explain as yet why they are doing so," Uroddus said. "Did you receive any such information to that effect, Marlon?"

Marlon shook his head. "All I got was the raw data, nothing else. I haven't been in any sort of direct communication with him."

"I suggest you work out a way to get that data to us as quickly as possible. A detailed analysis may help answer the remaining questions."

"I'll see what I can do. To be honest, I'm not sure I trust sending it by courier."

"Contact me again in the morning. I can arrange a Farview with some of our Mages who are quite skilled in transport magic."

"Q'kollan is good in that area," Katla said.

"He may be over-tasked with everything I have already asked of him," said Uroddus. "But I am sure he can recommend someone."

"I did look at the data more closely before I called you," Marlon said. "It's obvious their efforts are lacking."

"Lacking?"

"The energies are chaotic, more so than I would have expected from a properly working Portal."

"Not if it was out of alignment," said Katla. "That's always been the problem with transdimensional Portals. They always drift out of alignment over time."

Uroddus slipped off his spectacles and tapped them against his hand. Katla observed with a single raised eyebrow.

Marlon glanced off to the side. "I better get going before I awaken someone. Better for as few ears as possible to hear this."

"Agreed," said Uroddus as he put his spectacles back on. "I will look forward to conversing with you again in the morning."

Marlon nodded once, and his Farview image vanished.

"Okay, you haven't made that annoying gesture with your spectacles for some time," said Katla. "What are you thinking about?"

"Your statement concerning the condition of the Overlord Portal. The Portal in question is at the D'ronstaq Manor, and was last serviced by the Most Honorable Mage Q'yros."

"How long ago?" Katla asked in a tentative voice. She was hesitant to cast any aspersions on the late Q'yros' abilities. She had realized how much the old Mage had meant to Uroddus when he had taken to using the most hallowed title possible. "I mean, even Mages who are best in their field at Portal mechanics are not perfect."

"I would have to consult the records for an accurate dating," Uroddus said. "But it was not more than two seasons ago, and I am given to understand Roquan had not used the transdimensional setting since then. Therefore I would doubt the Portal alignment had suffered."

"Unless it received damage during the conquest of the Manor."

"I was there during part of the attack and did not recall the combat approaching the Portal building, but your point is well-taken. We will need to analyze those readings to know for sure."

Katla shook her head. "It doesn't make any sense. Why are they hiding what they are doing? Why should it matter to us if we know they are fiddling with the Overlord Portals?"

"Yes," said Uroddus. "Why, indeed."


The first red-orange rays of morning light broke across the ocean and spilled across the plaza in the center of Lerrusburg, sending Tarras' shadow stretching into the distance. He paused for a moment to gaze upon the golden sunrise through the canopy of a small copse of trees which lay at the edge of the cobblestones. Ahead rose the elegant columns of the town library, the marble steps which stood before its large, gilded bronze entrance stretching the width of the facade.

"It is best you get your business done quickly, my Lord," said Frenon in a soft voice as he stood behind the former Noble Lord. "Before the rest of the town stirs. Then we can be off."

Tarras did not comment but thought Frenon too anxious. This was a place of learning. The Philosophers' Guild would not allow it to become a place of combat or political maneuvering. Or so he hoped.

"I spotted at least one Cohort entering the building as we approached the plaza," said Frenon. "Are you sure you will not reconsider this course of action?"

Tarras answered by lifting his hood over his head and pulling it as far forward as it would go. He folded his hands before him and advanced towards the building.

Despite his convictions, his heart did thump as he ascended the steps, and he was given pause when he first entered. The earliness of the hour had done little to assist in avoiding contact with the Cohorts. The place was already rife with them, either seated at long tables poring over scrolls or perusing the multitude of shelves bursting with scrolls, parchments, and leather-bound books.

Tarras' fingers tightened as he advanced, strolling slowly and -- he hoped -- casually through the ranks of the Cohort patrons. Nary a single one gave him so much as a glance. He paused at the end of the aisle and looked around. All he saw were Cohorts and no one else. Surely the place had other patrons before the Inonni had arrived? Or did they feel uncomfortable with these new arrivals?

Did they not like to share the accumulation of knowledge with their avatars?

Tarras lifted his eyes towards the towering shelves, arranged in ranks which stretched wide to either side. Wandering near the right end was a member of the Philosophers' Guild, marked by his dark purple tunic and deep maroon robes. Tarras could discern the silver stars on his shoulders which designated Journeyman rank. He was nearly bald, with only a few remaining wisps of pearly-white hair about the ears. Tarras was not surprised; members of that Guild took the longest time to reach mastership of any Guild in Oceanus.

The Philosopher looked towards him in what Tarras interpreted as a questioning manner. Tarras turned away without acknowledgement. He wanted to find the information he sought without assistance. The fewer people he encountered would make Frenon all the happier.

Tarras struggled to understand the indexing system. Much of the lettering had been written in a very flowing, ornate script which likely represented the local dialect, and it took some study to decipher them. Yet with perseverance he found the object of his search, or so he had thought at first.

The titles upon the scrolls had looked promising. They claimed to be treatises on religious faith, but when he perused them, he found they were little more than essays on the concepts of religion itself.

Tarras returned the scrolls and tried again. He found something on the religions of the Urisi and of the barbarian kingdoms to their south. He even found a bit of information on the Inonni concepts of Enlightenment, a topic which would be fascinating at any other time. Yet he found nothing on the religious faiths of the Oceanus peasants.

"May I help you?"

Tarras flinched. He started to turn his head towards the Journeyman until he felt the hood slip. He stopped and returned his gaze forward. "Ah, perhaps, my good man. I search for information on religious faith."

"Then you are most assuredly in the right section," said the Philosopher in a gentle voice. "Are you looking for a specific topic?"

"Yes, I search for information on the native faiths of the peasantry."

"Ah, I see. Sadly, I must disappoint you, for the peasants have very little organized religious faith to speak of."

Tarras jerked his head in surprise towards the Journeyman without thinking, and his hood slid further back. "That is not what I have seen on my travels," he said as he yanked the hood forward, yet not soon enough to avoid illiciting an astonished look from the Philosopher.

"Ah ... perhaps ... perhaps I can search our older archives for more information for you, my ... ah ... my honored visitor." The Journeyman backed away. "Please, I will be only a moment."

Before Tarras could say another word, the Philosopher fled and ducked down a narrow aisle between two towers of shelves.

Tarras' gaze darted about the library, as if he expected a horde of Cohorts to descend upon him with his next breath. No one approached, and when he stepped towards the tables, not a single Cohort raised his head.

Tarras was torn. The Journeyman's statement made no sense. Of course the peasants have religion! Why would he claim they did not? Tarras wanted to investigate further, but he had to assume the Philosophers had fallen in line with the occupiers, and the Cohorts would be stirred to action once alerted.

Nevertheless, he followed the same tenet which had sustained him thus far: to run is to make oneself appear suspicious. Tarras tugged his hood forward, folded his hands before him, and strolled towards the exit. He tried to ignore the quick and approaching footfalls behind him.

"Good visitor, please wait a moment!"

The call had not been in the Journeyman's voice. Tarras was only a few arms' lengths from the door. He was tempted to burst into a run, but that would indeed mark him as a criminal. He stopped and turned.

A white-haired man advanced, dressed in the same purples and blues as the Journeyman but bearing the gold bars of mastership upon his shoulders. He brandished a scroll at Tarras. "I am quite sorry for the fuss," said the Master Philosopher. "But it appears we have the information you seek after all."

The Philosopher stopped before Tarras and appeared to stare directly into his face, eyes widening slightly.

"That is quite all right, I understand," said Tarras, taking a step back. "Perhaps it would be better for me to come back another day when you have had a chance to properly index--"

"I am quite sure this will answer your questions," said the Philosopher in earnest, thrusting the scroll forward until it brushed Tarras' chest. "I would highly recommend perusing it before you leave."

Tarras wondered if Frenon's suspicious nature were rubbing off on him, for now he feared a ruse to keep him there while others were summoned to take custody of him. Nevertheless, he accepted the scroll with a small smile. "Thank you, I am indebted to you. To whom do I have the pleasure?"

The Philosopher looked uncertain, but hesitated only a single breath. "Master Zello I'joddan."

"I am traveler Tarras. Well met."

Zello bowed his head, spun on his heel, and marched away.

Tarras sat at the nearest table and started to unroll the scroll. He frowned as he skimmed the first paragraphs. The document had nothing at all to do with religion. It spoke of the rise of the market system in the lower kingdoms of what had preceded the Oceanus Empire.

He continued to unroll the scroll, and a torn piece of parchment contained within fluttered off the edge of the table. Tarras snatched it before it could fall to the floor. He glanced about for a moment, then read the jagged, hasty scrawl upon the parchment:

Clover Terrace third on right at midday

Tarras took another glance about him and slipped the parchment piece into his robe. With slow and methodical movements, he rolled up the scroll and placed it upon one of the designated return areas and walked out of the library.

Frenon rushed up to him. "We should leave at once," he said in a low, urgent voice. "There are far more Cohorts here for my liking."

"Not just yet."

Frenon frowned but said nothing as he looked at Tarras expectantly.

"I believe I have a rendezvous to keep," said Tarras with a tiny smile.


Uroddus stood at the threshold to the Chamber of Equals, watching the Farview image of Marlon struggle to keep up with the string of incantations and projected runes besetting him from three Mage Elders. Occasionally one would heave an obviously dramatized sigh to a cry of "no, no, no!" and force Marlon to redo some spell sequence from the beginning.

Q'kollan stepped up to the Guildmaster. "My apologies if Marlon's teachers are not as patient with him as you would like."

Katla smirked as another chorus of "no, no, no!" rose from one agitated Mage Elder. "Don't worry about that one, Master Q'kollan. He acts that way even in when he's teaching guild apprentices."

"Except Marlon is no apprentice and should not be treated as such," Uroddus said.

Q'kollan cleared his throat. "Not to put too fine a point on it, Guildmaster, but the expatriates have ... what's the best way to put this ... picked up a bad habit or two in their self-taught magical training. To the Mage Elders, he is indeed an apprentice."

"Fortunately, a remarkably patient one, which I would not have thought from my impressions."

"Ah, now who is the one judging someone, hmm?"

Uroddus gave his advisor a small smile. "Point taken."

"At any rate, this will get us the data faster." Q'kollan folded his hands and looked towards the others for a moment. "Hmm."

"Yes?"

Q'kollan paused, then gestured for Uroddus and Katla to follow as he stepped out of the chamber.

"What is it?" Katla demanded as they fell into step on either side.

"I have a theory concerning what the Inonni are doing with the old Overlord Portals."

"You what?"

"Already, Master Q'kollan?" Uroddus asked.

Q'kollan did not reply. After a few moments, he turned towards an unused training chamber.

"What's with all this secrecy?" Katla declared as she stepped inside. "Or have you forgotten how much the Guildmaster--"

"Please, Katla," Uroddus said in a low voice. He gestured, and the door to the chamber closed behind them. He took a seat behind the lectern "What is your theory, Q'kollan?"

"Feel free to disregard it for now," Q'kollan said. "For it is based not so much on scientific analysis as it is on gut feeling. It is quite possible I am leaping to conclusions based on little data."

"Not at all. If I am to embrace both Traditionalism and Empiricism, I need to keep an open mind, which means accepting possibilities based on intuition. Please, go on."

"I suppose in a way some of it is based on analysis, but mostly of our own Empiricists."

Katla raised an eyebrow. "Really."

Q'kollan turned to her. "You have stated your brethren are encountering difficulties working the transdimensional nature of the Overlord portals into your equations."

"Yes, but we're making progress," Katla said quickly.

Q'kollan held up a hand. "No need to get defensive, Master Q'yoona. Yes, you are, but as I understand it, you're going to great lengths to do so."

"As far as we can tell, it involves some sort of chaos theory. We just have yet to properly quantize it."

"Yes, and the Inonni approach to Portal mechanics appears similar to Empiricist thinking. Thus I submit the Inonni do not have the ability to breach the dimensional barrier with their current Portal technology."

Katla stared, eyes wide. Uroddus leaned back in his chair and folded his hands.

"To me, this makes sense," Q'kollan continued. "The Inonni appear to be a very logical people, almost to a fault. They calculate everything to the last decimal point before they act. If we extrapolate this to their approach to Portal mechanics, it is possible they completely missed the transdimensional possibilities of the technology."

"But the Inonni have been at this for at least as long as us!" Katla protested. "In all that time, their equations never led them there? I find that hard to believe."

"Are you sure there is not a small amount of pride speaking for you, Master Q'yoona?"

"Blazing right, there is! Okay, yes, it's not something obvious, and we're working it in now only because we already know the Portals can work this way."

"And therein you make my point for me," said Q'kollan. "You know already the Portals work this way so it is obvious some equation dictates their operation. Yet getting there from a purely Empiricist approach may require an intuitive leap which is difficult to those versed in but a single approach."

Katla paused, then nodded. "Yeah, I can agree with that."

"This is most fascinating," Uroddus said. "It suggests that taking one path or the other elusively -- Traditionalist or Empiricist -- allows vast progress in one area while sacrificing the other."

Q'kollan offered a small smile. "Another argument in favor of further collaboration."

"More than that, Master Q'kollan. It suggests a blind spot in the Inonni thinking process. This may be something which can be exploited."

"Wait, is anyone realizing the terrible danger here if Master Q'kollan is right?" Katla cried.

"Yes, indeed," said Uroddus in a somber voice.

When opening a transdimensional Portal to another universe for the first time, it had to be opened without the benefit of a focus. Thus the Portal could open to anywhere on the planet, and repeated openings were often required just to get the Portal to open somewhere over dry land. Only when someone had been sent through could the Portal be targeted to a specific location.

"Even if we somehow rid Oceanus of the Inonni, they could still figure this out for themselves," Katla said.

"I would suggest we worry more about our own world than others," said Master Q'kollan.

"What kind of attitude is that?"

"What would you suggest, Master Q'yoona? That we carry a war to the Inonni homeland? Who is to say the use to which the Portals were put by the Oceanus Overlords -- and are put by the Urisi Slavemasters -- is any more or less morally justified than what the Inonni might do? I remind you there are quite a number of older Mages who find the Overlord slave system reprehensible and are glad to see it gone. And now many feel more free to voice that opinion now that they are convinced Q'ixanna-style Guildmastering is gone for good."

"Yes," said Uroddus. "I have heard such opinions expressed, along with some distressing suggestions."

"What suggestions?" Katla demanded.

"That the knowledge of transdimensional Portal mechanics be stripped from our own archives."

"No! Absolutely not!"

"Please, calm down. I would never abide by such a measure. The destruction of information is never the answer. Security cannot be obtained through obfuscation."

"I am in agreement there," said Q'kollan. "And my theory may be wrong. Yet..." He paused and frowned.

"Yes, Master Q'kollan? Is there something else?"

Q'kollan shook his head. "Only speculation. Nothing scientific at all, and only more fodder for worry."

"Please, tell me."

"It is a concern I have always had with the Overlord Portals, but I made the assumption -- perhaps a false one for my own comfort -- that the Overlords knew what they were doing and were careful in their selection of worlds."

"Is not each 'world' simply another version of Narlass?"

"Yes, but our version is, so far, the only one we know of which has magic in any sufficient quantity. I fear the Inonni will blunder into a world which has magical ability comparable to our own. They do not yet understand the techniques which are required to avoid such a thing, something which involves a very intuitive, Traditionalist approach."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.