A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 18

Sally seemed to Nick to be her usual self on Monday morning. Megan knew better. Sally was outwardly cheerful but Megan could sense an underlying unhappiness. She did have to wonder though whether it was the thought of a lonely Christmas that was pulling Sally down.

She took Nick his mid-morning coffee and then took hers and one for Sally into Sally's office.

"Time for a break, love," she said.

Sally smiled wanly and pushed the hair back from her forehead. "I could do with one," she said. "There are parts of these plans that are very boring but I must go through them in detail."

"Did you enjoy Friday evening?"

"Yes and no. I loved talking to your David and Gareth as well but I hated the dance I had with Cliff. I'm not going to be left alone with him anywhere."

Megan noted the lack of reference to Nick but grinned back. "Well at least he shows taste," she said.

"Huh! Well, he can pick someone his own size who can bonk him on the nose."

"Well, he danced with Helen."

"Animals!"

Megan laughed. "Anyway, my love, what plans have you got for Christmas?"

"None really other than to pop over and see my Mum for a little while."

Megan paused as though digesting that remark and then said, "Would you like to join us for Christmas Day? Eileen's going to her in-laws. I don't know what Rhys is planning. David and I would love to have you with us. Just a couple of old fogies but the offer's there."

Sally felt her chest constrict. She had grown very fond of these two. Megan was always there for her in the office and the few times she had been with David had been wonderful. He was so gentle, protective and calm. He could be quite funny too.

"Oh, Megan," she said, "you don't want me there. I'm not family."

"So what? Eileen and her family won't be there and, as I say, I've no idea whether Rhys will be or not. Even if he is he'll be in another world."

Sally, despite herself, giggled. "Are you sure, Megan?"

"Sure as God made little apples. David would love it too, particularly if you brought your violin."

"Oh, Megan, thank you. I'd love to."

"Good and if you want to stay over for Boxing Day you're more than welcome."

Sally bit her lip and tried to smile at the same time. Megan reached out and covered her hand. "You're on," she said, "and that'll make our Christmas."

"Oh, Megan. I ... I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, love. We'll just be very happy to have you with us."

Sally withdrew her hand and squeezed Megan's. "Thank you, love," she whispered.

Megan went in to collect Nick's mug. "Sally's coming to us for Christmas Day and Boxing Day," she told him.

"Oh, Megan, I hope I didn't rush you into it."

"No, boss, you alerted me to the situation. We'll be more than happy to have her with us."

"Bless you, Megan, and David too."

"We'll enjoy having her. We're both very fond of her. OK, I've seen her do the wild cat business but that's grown less. She's actually a very sweet girl."

Nick merely nodded. Megan smiled inwardly. "And you know it, you daft man," she thought.

On Tuesday Nick drove over the Pennines to his parents' house. He was pretty much at peace. Marshall was picking up and he was confident that they would be invited to tender for the two county council road jobs. It was time to invite the CEO to visit as a further morale booster. Christmas should be fun. Apart from his beloved parents his sister Catriona, her husband, Jerry, and their two children, Robbie aged four and Nina aged two, would be there. He had not seen them since last Christmas so there would be fascinating changes to the children. He got on well with Jerry too but the main reason for his happiness would be seeing Catriona. They were very close and she had been there for him when Veronica had left him. Once again anger coursed through him.

This was a new experience for him, anger with and at Veronica. The instance after the Christmas Party had surprised him. Previously any thought of her brought sadness and wishful thinking of what might have been. The anger was almost cathartic. It was liberating and invigorating: much better then mournful wistfulness.

There were carols on the radio and he sang along with them in the bass part feeling very pleased with himself that he could do it successfully with an inanimate object.

He arrived just before lunch as planned and was warmly and lovingly greeted. Matilda his parents' elderly Labrador, despite her arthritis, was clearly thrilled to see him and shadowed him for half an hour before collapsing in a tired but contented heap.

The children were wildly excited and became even more so when he asked them to help him carry in the presents from the car and put them under the tree.

"Which mine?" demanded Nina.

"Wait and see."

"Why Unca Nick?"

"Because it's not Christmas until tomorrow."

She pouted momentarily and then scampered off to the tree to put the present she was carrying under it.

Robbie proudly carried three presents. He was a big strong boy, wasn't he?

After lunch the two women went back to their labours in the kitchen. Apart from Christmas lunch which would be cooked the following morning, Geraldine, Nick's mother, had to do the fancy bits of icing on the cake and make mince pies as well as prepare the evening meal. She was not going to let Christmas detract from dinner that evening.

The three men took the children for a walk. Nick was amazed at Nina's energy and stamina although Jerry did have to carry her a fair part of the way home but that did not stop her chattering away nineteen to the dozen.

"Having learnt to talk," said Jerry, "she never draws breath." If Catriona had been there he would have added, "just like her mother," and waited happily to be biffed.

Nigel, Nick's father, was not an engineer but was still very keen to learn how things were going at Liverpool. Geraldine tended to hog the telephone calls that Nick made. He was very proud of Nick's quick promotion but was well aware that this job could make him or break him. It was not until the children were being put to bed that he got the opportunity.

Nick told him what he had found and the steps he had taken to get rid of the dead wood, advertise the company and chase up work. He admitted that being invited to tender for the two supermarkets and the two road improvements was only half the battle. They had to win the contracts and then execute them faultlessly before he could feel confident that he had put Marshall of Liverpool back where it should be. He told of his reorganisation and of installing Sally as his technical assistant.

Nigel listened spellbound. The way Nick talked showed his confidence in succeeding. His praise for his managers was encouraging too. Nigel threw in some searching questions. Nick fielded them without batting an eyelid. Nigel was thrilled and his pride in Nick increased even more.

Jerry had been present during the second half of the conversation. He was impressed too.

"What legal support do you have?" he asked.

"None that I'm aware of. We haven't needed any so far."

"Don't you get anyone to check your contracts?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.