Across the Unclaimed Lands - Cover

Across the Unclaimed Lands

Copyright© 2010 by Crunchy

Chapter 1

Our ship was known as the Loudoun when we sailed in the Year of Our Merciful Lord 1786. But, Our Captain, being a Charming Rogue, and with a audacious plan, quickly got papers in Austrian Oustend, just across the English Channel, north of France, giving the newly renamed Imperial Eagle License to Trade in that Vast Pacific, half a world away. Our new papers were issued by the Austrian East India Company, which had actually been broken to its creditors a few months prior. I had signed on the Loudoun as Apprentice Carpenter, but now found myself serving under the Austrian Flag, on a English Crewed Ship, bound for the Sandwich Isles. At least thanks be to Almighty God, I was not serving on a Whaler of any description, Vile Smelly Dangerous and Long were the Voyages of that Ilk!

I, Archibald Barnibus Turnbuckle, known to All and Sundry as "Scotty", had began my Apprenticeship to a Ship's Wright at the age of nine, and after Seven years of Toil, Curses and Beating, I was Deemed Fit and Ready to go My Own Way in the World. I Signed on with the Dashing and Adventurous Captain Charles William Barkley. While Completing Victualing for the Voyage, the Good Captain Courted and Married Miss Frances Hornby Trevor. Mistress Barkley was a Winsome and Sturdy Creature, and would Not be Parted from her Loving Groom, so as Unlucky an Omen as it was, the Young Bride of 16 Summers moved her Trousseau into the Captain's Quarters, bid Farewell to her Doting Father the Protestant Chaplain and Came Aboard as Supercargo. It made for a Gentler Voyage, there was no Rough Language, and the Men were Less Punished, perhaps for Want of Cause. I having never before Sailed the Seas, knew not of my Own Account, but from the Tales of the Old Salts, who Delighted in telling me of Men Lashed to Bloody Rags while Tied to the Cannon.

The Loudoun was a Full Rigged East Indiaman of some 400 tons, carrying twenty Cannon, quite Roomy enough even Fully Provisioned and Crewed. As Carpenter's Assistant, I shared space in the Starboard Forecastle with the Loblolly Boy, Cabin Boy, and the Sailmaker's Apprentice. We all had room to hang our Canvas Hammocks side by side, with no Stacking. The Deck Hands amidships had to Hang theirs Three Deep, but still more roomy than most Sailing Vessels. The Purser, First and Second Mates each had their own modest Quarters with Bunks and Table. I made myself Agreeable to All and Sundry, being a Willing and Cheerful Helpmate to my Crew mates All. In Turn, I was Taught the Rudiments of the Craft of a Sailor. My Duties as Carpenter's Apprentice were Light and untaxing, the Ship was Well-Found and Solid. The Fare was Fresh, and the Water kept well for the first few months as we sailed South into the Summer to be found below the Equator.

Having Left Ousten in Late November, None the Less, a few Months later found us sailing down the Coast of the Spanish Americas, in the Heat of High Summer. It became a Habit to see Mistress Barkley Promenading about the Deck, holding her Parasol tightly against the stiff breeze, ignoring the Covetous glances the Crew dared to give her. We all respected and cherished her, and if anyone had Given her Affront, the Crew itself would have Corrected the Offender. The Days passed Idyllically, and Eventually we Rounded the Cape Horn without trouble and Made Passage in the middle of the Southern Summer with a Bright Favorable Breeze. We were Happy to arrive at the Sandwich Isles, and get Fresh Fruit and Produce, brought to us by Smiling Natives in Mostly Naked attire by Slender Boats with pole lashed logs Balancing them athwart.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.