Way Way Out - Book 3 of the Tufts Family Saga
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2010 by Doc Tufferson

Tonto began relaying directly to all of the core family on both ships as soon as contact was restored with the computer system on Kon-at.

"Rob, can you hear me?" It was the voice of Mike Farris and it sounded strained as he if was breathing hard. "Are you there?"

"Yes, Mike. We can hear you now. What's happening? Are you OK? Is the situation under control? We lost all contact when the flamethrower fried some sort of circuit or control panel."

Mike continued to breathe hard as he panted, "All of the rogue sponsors are dead but the situation is not under control. The guy who was above the stage on the catwalk had just opened a crawlway door when the napalm doused him and every thing in the room he was entering. That was our main communication center and computer facility. The whole room is still burning and power is out all over this quadrant of the planet. If the fire suppression system doesn't take care of the fire we are going to end up back in the stone age in the next few hours. The fire is spreading in the theater and control complexes and we have begun evacuating the adjacent buildings. It's a real mess."

Rob asked, "How are you talking to us? What computer system is working?"

Before Mike could answer Tonto let everyone know that the Kon-at Hospital AI and computer system is independent of the other systems and would continue to operate on generator power even if the rest of the city was destroyed.

Mike said, "I'm in the hospital, they are sealing up a small burn on my arm but I've got to get back out there to direct our efforts to limit the damage and help anyone who is injured or in danger. Can you offer us any help?"

Tonto used Jason's voice to answer, "Mike, we need direct contact with the hospital AI. It is housed in a shielded unit with layers of protection. If it will cooperate with us we may be able to help even before we arrive. Who is your authorized co-agent?"

"How do you know about co-agents?" Mike asked.

"Remember, we know Waltzing Melissa and she authorized our contact," Jason said.

After a very short pause the Governor responded, "Sarah Miller is my co-agent. She and I have to make simultaneous contact with the hospital AI and authorize additional connections. Do your really think it will work?"

"Right now it seems to be the only option," Jason said. "Is Sarah capable of giving approval with her broken leg?"

Mike Farris responded, "She is in a med-tube and will be there for another hour or so according to the hospital AI. It was a serious fracture with lots of tissue damage and great loss of blood. She won't be conscious for some time."

"Mike," Jason said. "Give the AI your authorization and ask it to probe Sarah's mind for co-agent approval. She may seem to be unconscious in the med-tube but the AI has great access to her mental processes."

Mike responded, "Well, according to my information that won't work but I'm willing to give it a try. AI, interlink contact with the AI and computer systems on the Darjee vessel Kedah is herewith authorized with access to all functions except project AQ-niner-four. Please confirm with co-agent Sarah Miller in med-tube H-17 and, with her approval, please enact."

Instantly Tonto indicated to the entire family that he was in.


Using Junie's voice Tonto contacted the Behemoth Bounty, "Molly, two days ago we were able to tell you that your family was OK. We are about to land and we are giving your contact with them the highest priority. They have all gathered in one spot and are waiting for you to contact them. We will use a radio link after we land. The folks on Kon-at do not know of our family inter-link so we will send down a 'special radio' with the contact party. They have also been told that you are on another ship, not the Kedah. We will stabilize orbit around the planet in three minutes and begin beaming staff and supplies down at once." While Tonto was giving that information through Junie he was also organizing the core family on the Kedah into a contact party and a separate supplies party. While individual humans are not capable of true multi-tasking, Tonto could handle as many major tasks as the number of humans in his family plus the extended Tonto families.

Jason, Rob and Katie were in the contact group. Ellie had gone into isolation during the stay to protect her secret Darjee appearance.

"Governor Farris, I'm Rob Tufts and this my wife, Katie and our son, Jason. I take it this beautiful lady at your side is Sarah Miller?"

Mike Farris responded, "No need to be formal, Rob. We've been chatting for a couple of days now and with all the assistance you've supplied I feel not only that I know all of you but that we are deeply in your debt. Sarah is actually co-governor in every thing except name."

Sara spoke up, "We all want to thank you. I don't believe any of us would have survived as well as we did without your help. I'm almost certain that the entire planet would have been under the dictatorship of those bastards. What can we do to repay you?"

Jason took Sarah's hand to shake and said, "I too feel as if I know you as well. One of my wives is Sara Tufts, nee Miller, an unusual coincidence. She is a gorgeous human being who has been through much, just as you have, and you are every bit as beautiful."

"Enough," Rob said. "We've work to do. A party with the emergency supplies you requested is beaming down to your armory while we are chit-chatting. I've brought a special radio that I would like to present to your Strumson family. Their daughter, Molly, is aboard our Heavy Carrier Ship, the Behemoth Bounty, and she has been climbing the walls to make contact with her mom, dad and little sister, Karen."

Sarah pointed out a short woman, who looked to be far older than the average regenerated sponsor and said, "That is Susie Strumson and the young man who looks to be her son is her husband, Arnold." She went on to explain, "Susie is the sponsor and chose to have her husband trimmed down to 18 years old. However, she said she wasn't going to change her appearance until she had the opportunity to go over the changes with her daughter, Molly. She wanted to be sure that Molly would recognize her when they next met."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.