Steps - Cover

Steps

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

Samantha glanced at Henry. She needed to do no more. He quietly went to the kitchen where he checked on the potatoes and waited for the women to do whatever they had to.

Samantha continued to sit with her arm round Veronica's shoulders as she sobbed. At length she felt compelled to speak.

"We don't hold it against you, Veronica," she said softly. "Please don't think we do."

That caused an increase in crying again.

"What ... I did ... was ... unforgivable."

"No, love. Understandable."

Veronica looked up, her eyes pleading.

"I mean it."

"Oh! Oh!" Veronica collapsed into tears again but only for a short while. She squeezed Samantha's hand hard enough that it hurt but Samantha did not budge; just reassuringly tightened her arm round Veronica's shoulders.

"How can you understand?" Veronica asked brokenly.

"You couldn't help but feel bitter about the man who thought loved you leaving you for his sister. Your affection for both of them caused you to bottle up all the resentment and we inadvertently pulled the cork out of the bottle."

Veronica gazed up at her. "But don't you feel angry and vindictive at what I did?"

"Yes, we were upset but not really angry. The mobs of reporters and photographers were a pain but," she grinned, "they got their comeuppence when they met Mum and Dad."

Veronica had to smile back. "Yes," she said. "Whatever people may say about landed gentry, if they're decent people they still inspire enormous loyalty from the people around."

"You speak with authority."

Veronica nodded. "My family farms in Shropshire. It's not a big farm but the family has had it for generations and everyone round about would rally round if they had a problem."

"Are you feeling better now?"

"Sort of."

"Better enough to eat?"

Veronica nodded.

"Come on then. Let's go and see whether Henry's been keeping an eye on the spuds. Actually, you'd probably like to go and repair the damage first."

Samantha led Veronica to their bedroom. "Use any of the towels," she said. "I don't think we're suffering from anything contagious."

Veronica had to smile.

Samantha joined Henry in the kitchen. She went to him and he took her in his arms and kissed her lovingly.

"All right, my Sams?"

"I think so. She's stopped crying and I think I've convinced her that we bear her no malice but be gentle, my sweets."

Henry smiled and kissed her again. "I'm the soul of gentleness," he murmured.

"You are, my darling Henry, that's one of the reasons I love you so much."

"There are others?"

She smiled up at him. "Yes, my sweets. Lots but I don't want to give you a swollen head. How are the spuds?"

"About ready I'd guess but only you can be the judge."

"And you've laid the table."

He nodded.

"Clever boy!"

She pulled his head down and kissed him again. "Thanks."

They stayed in each other's arms smiling into each other's eyes. A polite cough disturbed them. Samantha disengaged, smiled warmly at Veronica and reached out a hand.

"I got distracted," she said pulling Veronica over to the hob. "I, it seems, have to be the one who decides whether the spuds are ready or not. Sweets, did you put some plates in to warm?"

"Of course."

"Training does pay off," she said to Veronica who chuckled.

"You?" she asked.

"Lord no! Mum!"

They sat down to supper a few minutes later. Conversation faltered until Henry said,

"Veronica, I don't want to pry and, if you tell me to shut up, I will. You said you were still in love with your husband. Are you really? How long ago did he leave you?"

There was a short silence while Veronica thought that one over. Her immediate reaction was to tell him to mind his own business but then she realised that Samantha had shown her genuine kindness and compassion. She felt that Henry would do the same.

"Three years ago and no, I suppose I don't. I've been deluding myself."

Henry nodded but neither he nor Samantha said a word.

"On the other hand I don't dislike either of them and would hate to destroy their happiness together. That's why I haven't divorced him: in case the incest came to light."

"And their child is fit and healthy?"

"So far as I know."

"Have you talked to your solicitor?"

"I haven't got one."

"Would you like me to have a quiet word in confidence with Ian and see what he thinks?" He grinned impishly. "Then you might be free to test the market again. You're a very attractive woman going to waste at the moment."

Veronica blushed slightly and looked down at her plate.

"Don't you make passes at her in front of me," said Samantha sharply her eyes denying her tone of voice.

"Me? Never." He mouthed a kiss and they both smiled. Veronica smiled too.

"Would you do that?" she asked.

"Sure."

"Thanks."

Henry grinned again. "You'd better give your phone number to Sams otherwise we might both cop it."

"Good thinking," said Samantha.

"See what I've let myself in for?" asked Henry plaintively.

Samantha snorted and Veronica could not help but laugh. After that she relaxed completely and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

When she had left, Henry took Samantha's hands in his. "Well done, my Sams," he said. "She's a lot happier than when she arrived."

Samantha shook her head. "I only started it. You made something positive of it."

"Quite a team."

"Always have been."

"Always will be."

"I think we've achieved our aim this evening."

Henry nodded. "With Ian's help."

"Take me to bed, my sweets. It's time for some team training."

Henry rang Ian the next morning and thanked him for all he had done. Ian asked how supper had gone.

"OK in the end but we had a high old time to start with."

He told Ian what had gone on. Ian did not react with surprise or pleasure that Veronica had been won over so completely.

"That's very sad," he said. "Under her professional veneer and indeed charm I sensed there was something not right. Oh dear! Poor girl!"

"Ian, do you think she could get a quiet divorce without stirring up a hornet's nest?"

"Yes. He left three years ago so she could sue for separation, two years is the qualifying time, and if he doesn't contest it nobody will know."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.