A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 23

When Becca went to bed that night, apart from being exhausted, her mind was in a whirl. The Damsels were under control. One job finished tomorrow, Friday, and that team could start on the new job on Monday. She would need to see that off the ground. The other two would not finish before Wednesday but there were three estimates that needed to be done. Two were booked for tomorrow and one for Monday. There were also driving lessons on Friday and Monday. Tomorrow was going to be tight looking after Steven as well. That was still her priority in life: looking after the man who had saved her, helped her and whom she loved with every fibre of her being. She knew he loved her dearly but he would not give way on the age difference. She could not understand that. In everything they did together the age difference never came into it. He just had this old-fashioned phobia. She beat her pillow in frustration. It was not sex she was missing. She was still a virgin and what you've never had you've never missed. She could have had sex with a number of young men but had not felt the urge. She did not necessarily want it with Steven although she felt sure it would seal a bond. What she wanted was to be one with him, to be part of him as he was part of her and to be able to show him her love without restraint. What was she to do? She fell asleep without the answer.

Friday was indeed tight. She toured the three jobs first thing in the morning, found everything running smoothly and was at the police station in time for her driving lesson at eleven. She wolfed sandwiches she had made and got to her first appointment at two. She was out of there by half past three having measured everything and found out what paint was wanted. There were different qualities as well as different prices for different finishes. She promised a written estimate in the morning. Fortunately the next clients were not too far away and she was finished with them shortly after half past five. She raced home to prepare supper.

At half past six the telephone rang. It was Rita. Could she and Nell do catalogue signings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday? There would be nothing more after that.

Becca took a deep breath. "No," she said. "I can't but Nell probably could provided you take her round. You'll have to ring her. I could do Tuesday but that's really all unless there are short trips on Monday and Wednesday afternoons."

"But we need you both."

"I know, Rita, but I do have a business to run and I just cannot afford any more time. As it is, to do what I've offered is going to have an impact. Please don't press me, love. I'm deeply grateful for the van and want to help but I can't be at three places at once."

Rita could hear the strain in her voice. The signing of catalogues was not going to make a huge difference to Brain Bros sales but it would keep the lucky retailers happier.

"OK, love," she said. "I'll check with Nell, have another think, ring round the retailers and get back to you sometime tomorrow."

"Thanks, Rita."

Steven had overheard the conversation and the strain and weariness in Becca's voice. He watched her shoulders slump as she put the telephone down. He went to her and took her in his arms as she turned away from the telephone. She fell against him and her arms went round his waist. He said nothing but comfortingly stroked her back. At length, she pulled back.

"Thanks, Uncle Steven," she said. "I must go and get on with supper."

Steven said nothing but followed her into the kitchen and poured a glass of white wine for her.

"Have a suck of that," he said gently.

She smiled gratefully and did so. Steven quietly went about setting the table. He went back to the sitting room and put the Chris Barber record on loudly enough to be heard in the kitchen and then went back there. He topped up her glass and went to sit at the table. A pair of arms slid round him from behind.

"Thank you, Uncle Steven, I love you very much," she whispered and kissed the top of his head. Then she was gone again to dish up.

They ate in silence. Becca was feeling slightly guilty about turning Rita down but realised that she had no other option. Once this silly signing business was over and the driving lessons out of the way she would be able to cope again.

Steven was worried at her overdoing things. He knew that looking after him was a high if not the highest of Becca's priorities but that needed to take a back seat at the moment. He must tell her so and just hope that she did not take it the wrong way.

They cleared away the supper together and Steven made them both coffee which they took through to the sitting room.

"Becca, my sweet," he said when they were both sitting, "I'd like you to take things a bit easier at home until everything cools down again."

She smiled at him. "There's no need," she replied. "I can get things like washing and ironing and cleaning done over the weekend and then it's just a bit of cooking. Things should be back to normal by Thursday."

"I'll do the cooking. It may not be to your high standard but we'll survive. I just don't want you to run yourself into the ground."

"Uncle Steven, when you first took me in my job was and still is to look after you. It's sweet of you to offer but anything else I do has to be second priority. I owe you too much for it not to be."

"You don't owe me too much. When I told you that you were to be my housekeeper that was to regulate our lives at the beginning. Now you have graduated to being to all intents and purposes my daughter and so we share things. You no longer have a job here. You're family. Please let me help you over the next few days."

"What if I don't?"

"I shall go into a sulk and be grumpy." He smiled lovingly at her. "Please, Becca."

"You really do want to help, don't you?"

"Yes, my sweet. Please let me."

"You are an awful man. You know jolly well I can't refuse you anything because I love you so much. OK, my darling Uncle Steven. You can cook on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Happy now?"

Steven smiled at her. "Happier," he said.

Becca smiled back slightly wistfully. "You could make me happier," she thought, "if you could drop this old fashioned age difference nonsense."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.