A Just Reward - Cover

A Just Reward

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 14

When Nick had left, both Becca and Steven having seen him off at the front door, Becca clung to Steven, her head pressed against his chest, and let go. It seemed as if ten years of misery and unhappiness flowed out of her. Her body was wracked with sobs interspersed with agonised howls. She held him in a vicelike grip. Steven picked her up and carried her back to the sofa where he sat with her on his knee and held her.

"That's it, little one," he whispered. "Let it go. Don't hold back. Scream if you want to. It's all over. You've saved the other kids, my sweet. You're a very special girl. I'm so proud of you. There, there. Let it out, my precious one."

All this was accompanied by nuzzling kisses to the top of her head and gentle, loving stroking of her back. Still she wept. After a long while she quietened.

He continued to comfort her, stroking, kissing and whispering. "You are a very special, brave girl. I'm so proud of you, little Becca. It's all over now."

"No!" Her head came up sharply. "It isn't all over. I've got to help Nell and the other girls in that brothel. I've got to try and give the kids still in the home hope. It isn't over my darling Uncle Steven. You have done so much for me. Now I want to try and help the others. Will you help me do that too?"

"Yes, my little love."

Her breath caught and Steven realised he had gone too far.

"I think you've reached the daughter stage," he said softly.

Her eyes clouded momentarily but she recovered herself and smiled up at him.

"I'll still call you Uncle Steven though."

He nodded smilingly down at her and then hugged her hard. "Come on," he said. "It's time we had a drink."

"And time I cooked some supper."

They went through to the kitchen. Steven brought out a bottle of white wine, opened it and poured Becca a glass.

"Your first drop of the hard stuff," he said with a smile, "but I think you need it."

She sipped it gingerly and grimaced. "It's a bit sharp," she said, "but," as the after taste hit her, "it's lovely and fruity. Watch it, Uncle Steven, I could get hooked on this."

"Don't worry, little one," he smiled. "You won't get it very often and even then I'll ration you."

"Spoilsport," she teased.

Steven could not help himself. He gathered her in his arms and kissed her nose.

"You are a very special girl," he said. "I'm so glad I found you."

"So am I."

Her eyes spoke love and Steven winced internally. "Stop it," he thought. "It's a girly crush and I must, must not give in to it. She really could almost be my daughter."

He pushed her gently away. "You're supposed to be cooking dinner," he said.

She grinned albeit slightly ruefully. "Yes, sir," she said and dipped a little curtsey.

"Where did you learn to do that?" he asked in astonishment.

"No idea!" she giggled. "From my grandmother?"

"Did she teach you?"

"Nope. It must be hereditary."

Steven laughed. She had dispersed the earlier intensity of feeling with maturity. He marvelled at her.

Three days later Helen rang and asked to speak to Becca. She thanked her for being instrumental in bringing the evildoers at the home to justice, telling her that they had all been remanded in custody, bail having been turned down. She would have rung before but life had been hectic trying to get the home running on an even keel again. Mr Wainright and Mrs Olney had been an enormous help. The girls from the brothel were settling in well with their new families and could now be visited. She gave Becca the names, addresses, and telephone numbers.

Becca discussed with Steven how best she could help the girls. They agreed there was nothing material they could do but she could visit them and do her best to encourage them.

"They'd be more than welcome here if you want to ask them. Their foster parents may be a bit wary so feel free to ask them as well. The only thing is that your cover story is going to be blown."

"Does it matter? Mr Crossley knows and he knows I'm safe. So does Helen. Couldn't he just get my name crossed off the missing persons list? Nobody else could care less about me."

"I'll have a word with Nick but no promises."

He rang him immediately and was fortunate to find him free.

"Hmm," said Nick. "Suborning a police officer is a very serious offence. On the other hand, I'm always open to bribery."

"How about dinner here for you and your lovely Jill cooked by the missing person herself?"

"Done! By the way, I held a wash-up meeting the day after the operation and one of my chaps said that they have a wasted area of grass at the home which could be turned into a soccer field big enough for five asides with a tennis court as well. They're going to work it up in their spare time."

"Thanks, Nick. Thanks for telling me. I know a certain young lady who will be equally thrilled."

Becca clapped her hands in delight at both bits of news.

"You're going to have to undeceive Tom and his family, you realise."

That sobered her up momentarily then she said, "I'm glad. They're too nice to be deceived."

"I know," exclaimed Becca a little later. "We'll have a freedom celebration supper and I'll try and get Jane and Molly as well. We probably won't have enough space round the table so it'll have to be buffet."

"That sounds a wonderful idea."

Becca set to work. She rang the hostel where Jane and Molly were living. They had to talk to their manageress to see if they could both take the same evening off but promised to ring back the next day. They were given the Tuesday in two weeks' time off. That gave Becca plenty of time to organise the other guests and the food. Steven offered to provide a taxi service as required. In the event both foster mothers said they would like to come the first time so Steven only had to pick up Jane and Molly.

The party was a success from the outset. Both parents took an instant liking to Becca and were charmed and reassured by Steven. The adults moved to the sitting room with a drink to leave the girls a chance to be on their own for a bit. They heard nothing for a while and then the giggling started and before long there was a noisy party going on in the kitchen.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.