Full Circle - Cover

Full Circle

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

Life returned to normal. Peter and Wendy continued as though nothing had happened although Wendy did notice sheepdog eyes a few times. They both became caught up in their new jobs and shared their thoughts. Wendy thoroughly enjoyed her dealings with industry. There was no sexism as she had feared there might be and she was delighted to meet enthusiastic and forward thinking engineers.

One Tuesday morning Wendy came downstairs and was mildly surprised not to see Theresa, who normally beat her to it. However, thinking no more of it, she started to prepare breakfast for everyone. Shortly afterwards the twins came bounding in. There was still no sign of Theresa so Wendy gave them their cereal and went upstairs to see what Theresa was up to.

She could hear no movement so she knocked on Bill and Theresa's door and went in. Theresa was still in bed.

"Good morning, Mum," said Wendy cheerfully. "Going to have a lie in?"

There was no answer. Wendy went over to the bed. Theresa was lying there, ashen, her face lop-sided bearing a look of abject fear.

"Oh God!" exclaimed Wendy. "She's had a stroke," she thought. "I'll be right back, Mum."

She fled back downstairs.

"What's Mum doing?" asked Hettie.

"Hang on a minute, Hettie. She's very ill. I've got to call an ambulance."

She was dialling 999 already.

"Ambulance ... Ainsworth, Bridge House, The Street, Drillford, PY4 8UT ... Stroke ... White as a sheet and face lopsided ... Don't know. She's still in bed ... Don't know. She didn't try to speak ... Thanks. Please be quick."

"What's a stroke, Wendy?" asked Tom.

"It's ... it's when the flow of blood to the brain gets cut off."

"What does that do?"

"A number of things like one side of a person's face dropping down, being unable to speak, total or partial paralysis."

"Is she going to die?" whimpered Hettie.

"I ... I don't know, darling," stuttered Wendy trying not to cry.

Both twins stared at her aghast.

"No!" wailed Hettie and flung herself into Wendy's arms quickly followed by Tom. Wendy hugged them tightly the tears now pouring down her cheeks as well.

Finally, she freed herself from them.

"Now," she said. "The ambulance should be here very soon but while we're waiting for it we need to look after Mum and try to help her a little. She's very frightened so we'll go up and hold her hands but other than saying hallo to her don't chatter. And, I know it'll be difficult but try to smile. Can you do that for her?"

They both nodded solemnly.

Wendy led the way upstairs. The children followed like owls, wide eyed and silent. They stood at the foot of the bed while Wendy went and kissed her mother.

"The ambulance is on its way, Mum," she said. "The twins have come to say hallo to you."

She stood aside and the twins went one to each side of the bed and took a hand apiece.

"Hello, Mum," whispered Tom.

"Hello, Mum," said Hettie in a slightly stronger voice. "Please get better soon."

"We love you," they chorused and bravely smiled.

Theresa's eyes filled with tears. "Hangh 'ou, 'y dar'in''," she managed to get out. Her left hand squeezed Hettie's but her right hand would do nothing. Her eyes moved beseechingly to Wendy.

"'Ighk ar' no khoo'," she said.

"Oh, Mum darling, I'm sorry. I'm sure they'll be able to sort that out for you at the hospital." She took the twins' free hands. "Let's say a little prayer for Mum"

The twins bowed their heads.

"Please God, make Mum better soon and help us to do all that we can to help her, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen."

"Amen," echoed Tom and Hettie.

The doorbell rang.

"That'll be the ambulance," said Wendy with relief. "You two stay here with Mum and look after her while I let them in."

The ambulance crew were efficiency itself and were on their way again within five minutes.

"We won't have any news for you for at least two hours, I'm afraid," said the girl crewmember kindly to Wendy, "but if you give A & E a ring then they should be able to tell you something."

"Thanks. I'll do that." She closed the door behind them and leant against it with her eyes closed. "Please, God, let her be all right for all our sakes," she said to herself.

She heard a sniff. Tom and Harriet stood silently in front of her both fighting tears. She went down on her knees and took them in her arms.

"There's nothing more we can do for the moment," she said thinking rapidly. It might seem hard hearted but they would be better going to school than moping around the house all day. She would have to have a word with the head teacher.

"You haven't finished breakfast," she said.

"I don't want any more," said Tom.

"Nor do I," added Hettie.

"You can't go to school on empty tummies. You'll be starving by lunchtime."

"Do we have to go to school?"

"Yes, darlings. It'll be much better than sitting around here in unhappy heaps. As soon as I hear anything from the hospital I'll ring and get them to pass on a message to you."

They were not happy but they accepted what Wendy said.

"We'll take an apple to eat on the way," said Hettie.

Tom nodded silently. They both trudged upstairs to collect their school things. Wendy saw two disconsolate children off a few minutes later. She rang the school immediately.

"Mary," she said to the school secretary, "it's Wendy Richards. My mother's had a stroke."

There was a gasp of horror at the other end.

"Oh, Wendy, I'm sorry. Is it bad?"

"I don't know. It certainly wasn't mild. The twins are on their way. They're pretty upset but I didn't want them to mope round the house all day and make themselves even more miserable. Can you pass the message to those concerned?"

"Yes, of course. Poor lambs! Is there anything else we can do?"

"Yes. I've promised them that as soon as I hear anything from the hospital I'd let them know. So, may I ring you again later?"

"Certainly you may. I'll be here beside the phone all day."

"Thanks, Mary."

"Not at all and if there's anything else you just let me know."

"Thanks, Mary. Goodbye."

She rang Richard Bartlett who was totally understanding. "Don't rush back on any account," he said. "Have you got any external appointments?"

"Nothing until Thursday. My diary is in the cupboard in my office. Diane has a key."

"OK, my dear. Don't worry about a thing at this end. I'll charge you my usual fee when you return."

Despite herself Wendy chuckled. "Thank you, Richard. Would you do one other thing and tell Peter why I am not in?"

"Of course. Look after yourself."

"Thanks, Richard. Goodbye."

Next she rang Bill and had to go through his secretary who said he had a client. Wendy asked her to ask him to ring her as soon as the client left. It was very important.

She forced herself to have some breakfast. The coffee made her feel a bit better. She was just about to go upstairs and make her bed when the telephone rang. It was Bill.

"Hello, my sweet," he said cheerfully. "What's all the excitement about?"

"Mum's had a stroke," she blurted out.

There was silence.

"Bill?"

"Yes, sorry, darling. How bad is it?"

"Pretty bad, I think. Her face is all lopsided. Her right arm is paralysed. I don't know about her leg and she can't speak properly."

"Oh God! The poor little darling. Where is she now?"

"Pitsbury A & E. They told me I could ring in a couple of hours."

"How long ago was that?"

"Half an hour?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.