By Chance - Cover

By Chance

Copyright© 2009 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

With the nights drawing in Hank found his games training curtailed and likewise his evenings in the office. He found the lack of companionship creeping up on him again. There was always Barbara but he reckoned that they were seeing enough of each other. Had she shown any interest in marriage it might have been different. As it was she was a very dear friend, support and confidante and they spoke on the telephone most days.

One evening as he sat with the crossword in front of him but not really concentrating, his mind flipped to the conversation he had had with Barbara about 'Lonely Hearts'. He chuckled at the remembrance of her slight irritation at no mention of her looks and her remark about his being fit implied that he was not dotty yet. There was no doubt that she was fun.

He met a new woman at a dinner party. She was, like him, a widow but childless. She was attractive and well but modestly dressed. She did not say a lot but then everyone else knew each other well and hogged the conversation. Hank talked to her for a while after dinner and was sufficiently taken to invite her out for a meal. She explained that she was working and that it would have to be evening. He was happy with that and they made a date.

He duly collected her and took her to a pub where he knew the food was good. She was again nicely but soberly turned out and gave him a warm smile when he arrived to collect her. She invited him in for a few minutes while she settled the dogs, a pair of Jack Russells, with which he was taken. Inevitably the excitement of meeting someone new meant extra time in getting them into their baskets and the kitchen door closed on them.

She did not know the pub he was taking her to, so he explained on the journey how he had discovered it, how good the food was and how friendly and welcoming the landlord and his wife were.

After they had got their drinks they sat down for a few minutes before ordering.

"On a very brief inspection, your house seems most attractive," said Hank. "How long have you been there?"

"Only three years. We used to have a bigger house at Ramsbury but it had too many memories and I was rattling round in it so I looked for somewhere smaller and found this one."

"Did it take you long?"

"No, just six months."

"Well done you. After three years you must feel settled in."

"Yes."

"The village wasn't cagey about newcomers?"

"No. Not really."

"You said you were working."

"Yes."

"May I ask what?"

"At the library."

"Is that fun?"

"It's quite interesting."

"You must meet all sorts of people."

"Yes."

So it went on. Hank made all the conversation and she volunteered nothing. She showed no interest in what he had done or was doing. Conversation pretty well petered out half way through their main course. She declined pudding and Hank was so bored that he did not offer coffee."

He drove her home in silence. She did offer him coffee but he declined saying something about an early start. She thanked him for 'a lovely evening', made no comment about the pub or the food, bid him goodnight and let herself in.

"Oh well," thought Hank. "At least I had a decent meal."

Despite his misgivings he started to consider trying one or two of the advertisements on the 'Lonely Hearts' page. He laughed at himself and shelved it but the possibility still nagged at him. "Oh well," he thought. "Nothing venture nothing gain."

He avoided all the 'attractive', 'beautiful' and 'charismatic' ladies and instead chose one which read, 'Bored divorcee, unattached, with GSOH seeks energetic man, 55-65, with wide range of interests to divert her. Possible LTR.' He had to ask Barbara what the acronyms stood for. Good Sense Of Humour and Long Term Relationship, she told him and then teased him unmercifully.

"I told you you were a hard hearted woman," he laughed back. "Now I know you are -- and cruel to boot."

Barbara laughed. "I'm also a nosy parker too and will demand full details."

"We'll see about that."

There was further laughter from both of them.

Hank went through the procedures and finally spoke to a pleasant sounding woman. They sounded each other out and agreed to meet for tea the next Sunday afternoon about midway between where each lived.

She turned out to be a tall, handsome rather than beautiful woman. Both were casually dressed. She wore a polo neck jersey with long sleeves and trousers with a broad belt to accentuate her slim waist and also to enhance a modest bosom. Hank had put on a slightly smarter set of corduroy trousers than usual.

Once they had ordered Hank said, "Had you any particular interests that you wanted me to energetically divert you with?"

"No. I was looking to you to come up with some ideas."

"I see. Have you ever done any sailing?"

"No. What sort of sailing were you thinking of?"

"Dinghy. Offshore takes more time and the chances of a comfortable drink in dry clothing can be rare. The other thing is that as you haven't ever sailed before it's the best way to learn."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.