Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 14: More Road

Ode on Life's Journey - I began life's journey when I was young, And the glitt'ring prospect charmed my eyes; I saw joy after joy successive rise Along the extended plain.

But soon I found 'twas all a dream, And learned the fond pursuit to shun, Where few can reach the purposed aim and thousand daily are undone.


There are more tearful goodbyes, as we start out early the very next day. Howle and Liss stand with Nev at the edge of their home stead. Nev, saying she was needed at home but she would never forget us. We, in return, give promise of help if they should need it. All this heart felt tears and more, with a dozen or so cousins watching from the side.

"Well, you girls take care now. " Howler says as he shakes our hands good bye for, what seems like the hundredth time.

"And you girls come back, make sure you eat enough." Mother Liss gives all of us tearful hugs.

"And if you need help come to the Compound," Diana says. "I think we could handle your few dozen people."

"And learn to fight better," Catherine adds.

"If nothing else," I say. "Make sure we stay friends."

"I'll never forget you Chronos," Nev says, as she gives me one final fast hug.

Before we can leave, it seems we must say something to everyone. I sigh and hold back my impatience. Catherine goes off to talk with some of the young defenders while Diana jokes with Cousin Mints. I can see Clade trying to wave me over, but I choose to ignore him.

"Now Chronos," Clade says as he makes he way over to me. "There ain't no call for you to be so cold. I'm just trying to be friends. Like you asked us."

"The offer of friendship was for all of the Killmick, not just you Clade." I say coldly to him.

"And I'm here to take you up on that." He smiles charmingly at me.

"No Clade," I say bluntly. "I have no interest in you, or your charms. I have enough..." I pause to think about the saying I am trying for. "In my dish right now."

He looks puzzled by my words. "You got a dish?"

I roll my eyes in disgust. "That does it, we are leaving." I turn to Diana and Catherine. "We need to be going, before we lose all of the daylight!" With that I grab Alys and Brin and start to march away.

"Hey, Chronos, wait up!" Diana calls out as she jogs to catch up with us. "You want me to take point don't you?" She flashes us a good natured smile and passes us to take her place in the line.

I glance behind us to see Catherine is catching up with us too. But she seems just as happy to be leaving as I am.


By night time we are exhausted but there is a feeling of friendship among us now. Much to my delight, Mother Liss has made sure our packs are full of new food and notes on how to cook it. It has been a whole 7 days of travel for us. I am no longer on unfriendly terms with the Protectors. We are down one girl, who, we have left at a happy farmstead. We also have more new mappings for the area and we know someone has taken over the Brutes prison.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.