A World Found - Cover

A World Found

Copyright© 2009 by Deenara2000

Chapter 5

It had been a busy morning getting everything ready for the barbeque. Everything turned out really good. People started showing up about one pm with things for the table like food or flowers. It turned into really a great thing for those that took part.

Two o'clock came and Mr. Johnson and Mr. Parks walked around back, bringing with them Mrs. Thorton and her two kids.

They stopped next to Dani.

"Mrs. Thorton this is Ms. Daniella Orchard. Ms. Orchard this is Carol Thorton and her two children, Peter and Jenny," said Mr. Johnson.

"Please call me Dani, and welcome to my home. The food is almost done and the pool is wonderful. Please join us. Mike's just about finished, 'burning the beef, ' as he calls it. And some of the others brought some other dishes that are really good. Come on and dig in."

Dani reached for the kids and pulled them into center of the yard where the plates and stuff were and started leading them through the food line.

"Ms. Orchard I'd like to have a word with you if I may," asked Carol as she walked up to Dani.

"Only if you call me Dani, Ms. Orchard sounds too much like a title." Dani smiled but had the idea of what was coming by the look on Mrs. Thorton's face.

"As you wish. Mr. Johnson and Mr. Parks have told me some of what you are going to do and I want to make one thing very clear. I do not take handouts or charity. I do not understand why you had this big party in order to do that but I don't like it."

"I wasn't going to offer you either. This party was to see who might be willing to act, as a family should. This was to get to know people again. I grew up with nothing like this, Mrs. Thorton. After my mother died, my father tried to show me that you had to be ruthless and distant. All it did was make me want to help others even more. No one needs handouts Mrs. Thorton. Handouts get tossed in the trash. I'm offering my hand to you in friendship, nothing more."

"But Mr. Johnson said you were going to give me money to pay off my bills?"

Shaking her head, "What I'm going to offer is a way for you to have a bit of breathing space in order to get your bills paid off. Sadly, I don't have the ability to save your house. I wish I did but that was something that your husband lost, not you. Had my father been the way I wish he were, your husband would have been helped long before this. However, both men chose the most cowardly of ways to leave things. Now we have to pick up the pieces, helping each other where we can. The help I'm offering you is a place to live with a rent that is very affordable. This will allow you to worry less and concentrate on what is important," Dani said as she pointed at the two kids and continued, "Which are your two children."

Dani turned in time to point at Peter just as he did a canon ball in to the pool. Jenny, Carol's daughter was getting ready to get on the diving board to do the same. Jenny looked up and saw that her mother was looking in her direction, waved and jumped onto the board and into the water with a great splash.

"I don't know what I would have done without..."

"I've wished many times that I had a brother or sister to play with as I grew up," Dani said still watching the silliness that ensued, "Mrs. Thorton..."

"Please call me Carol. Though I had no control over what happened with my husband I tried everything I could think of. But I still don't like taking handouts."

"Then think of it was an investment. It would just be that I'm investing in the future of those two children. Your husband should have been helped before this got so bad. It was my father that should have been helping you. What I offer is just what is right. I just want to make things better for them and for you.

"Now I know you should, if you haven't already done so, applied for social security for the two. If not, Mrs. McNarry should be able to help you with those papers. I've collected some money to help with the expenses of moving and rental of storage, if needed. As Mrs. McNarry is working as our legal representation she can help with collectors that are over zealous and demand to be paid right now."

Dani looked around as did Carol. Carol had a lot to think about so she chose to do it while watching her kids having a great time. Dani looked around as she was trying to think of what more to say. When she saw Josh, he had done amazing work on the plumbing of the little cabin and she was pleased with it. As Dani watched, she saw Josh cradle his arm and knew he was hurting because of it.

"Carol, you're a nurse right?"

"Yes."

"What area or department do you work in?" Dani asked as she was still looking in Josh's direction.

"Pediatric Orthopedic, why do you ask?"

Dani couldn't believer her luck on this. "Well a young man I know had his arm broken not long ago and I know it's been bothering him. I was asking in the hope that you might know if things can be helped by re-breaking it and having it set right. He had to set the bone by himself."

"He what? That's not good. He could develop a clot or other complications. Not to mention that it could break again and he could even lose the arm."

"Would you take a look at it? I know you're not a doctor but you're the closest to an expert. And he really is part of the family."

Carol went into her caretaker mode, and looked around as she asked, "Where is he?"

Dani turned and looked at her with a smile then pointed towards where Josh was standing.

"Josh, could you come over here please." Dani called out. Josh flinched but walked over.

"Dani, I was just going for something to drink. Can I get you two anything?"

"Josh, this is Mrs. Thorton, she's a Pediatric Orthopedic nurse. I asked if she would look at your arm. I saw you holding it so it must be bothering you and you're just trying to be strong and live with it." Dani said and smiled sweetly at her best friend.

"Dani there is nothing wrong with my arm... " Josh started to object.

"JOSH present THAT ARM, NOW!" Dani ordered. She would not let Josh get away with not taking care of himself.

Josh looked around but it was tool late. Mike and several others were coming over. He knew that Dani wouldn't let it go but he just wish it wasn't in such an open place. He held out his arm as the nurse took it and he winched several times and had to keep from crying out once or twice too.

"Well you did a nasty job young man. You need to get to a doctor and get this done right and soon. How you managed to set it I don't even want to think about."

"Thanks Carol, I'll get him into a doctor first thing tomorrow. If you have a name of one that would be good for this I'll get it from you and take care of it."

Dani asked Josh to go into the house and get her day planner out of the office. Dani watched the young man nod his head and go into the house. A few minutes later he was back and she took the information. There was some more fun as Peter and Jenny came running over and Dani with Josh chased them back to the pool but things were going to be getting interesting really soon.

Don Baxter was pissed off as he drove to the place his brother worked and lived at. He was pissed that his thieving son had run away, and he was pissed that the boy had now been found. The first he could live with. The second was a pain in the ass as it became evident that his other son Henry was also a thief, but to get a call so late by his brother thinking he couldn't do anything till morning telling him that his son was alive and well and not to come or there could be trouble, was just too much.

Even with how late it was Don still chose to take to the road for the fifteen-hour drive. He did stop about 6am for a small nap but the rest of the time; he just drove with a single thought in his head.

It was just after 5pm when he pulled into the driveway of the big house. That was where his brother said the little thief had been placed after finding him in one of the cabins at the back of the property. It was clear there was something going on as there were still several cars parked in the front area and he saw people come from around the back when he pulled up.

Don stopped walking at the edge of the house to look around. His son was easy to spot. Josh was standing with two guys and a couple of decent looking bitches, though Don like the look of the smaller one better.

Rage filled Don and he charged into the yard.

A cold shiver ran up Josh's back making him look around. He froze as his eyes fell on the angry red face of his father. "OH SHIT!!!" Josh exclaimed as he turned to run but was blocked by Dani.

It didn't matter; Josh's father was there with a vice like grip on his arm.

"Owww! Let Me Go!"

"You little thief! How dare you run away from home. I'll knock you back to the stone age when I get you home!"

Josh was unable to do or say anything as his father pulled and jerked him around while he yelled. Dani on the other hand...

"Mr. Baxter you will let Josh go and leave my property or I will have you arrested!"

"Shut the fuck up bitch or I'll teach you how to behave too!" Don spat.

"I order you to let him go NOW!" Dani yelled back.

From all around the yard people moved closer to see what was going on. Pat and his boys were doing their best to hold his father back as Jason worked to get closer. Mike, who had gone into the house, came running with the first shout and was just in time to see the man raise his hand to strike at Dani. Mike knew the man had just made the biggest mistake of his life.

Don raised his hand to smack the mouthy kid when he found himself doubled over gasping for the air that had been knocked out of him.

Dani had been watching the man holding Josh and thanks to Mike knew what was coming and what she had to do. Dani caught the hand coming for her and punched the big man in the stomach. Her goal was to not be hit and have the man let go of Josh. Luck was with her and both were accomplished. Dani took Josh's soon to be rebroken arm and moved him over to where Carol was standing with her kids to have the other arm looked at.

Carol was stunned with the speed of what Dani had done but after seeing it, she could understand better how the little girl bested some kidnappers. Then Carol checked the arm. She found it was already bruising but would be fine with some ice and mild painkillers.

"Mr. Don Baxter," Mike started, "You are under arrest for assault on your son Josh Baxter and the attempted assault on Daniella Orchard, as well as trespassing. Further charges of child abuse and attempted murder may be forthcoming."

Mike signaled Jason, who Mike had seen moving up behind Josh's father, to take the man's other arm and help walk the man to the front where his car was, then he would call the locals to come and get the piece of crap.

Don couldn't get his mind to wrap around the idea that some little shit of a girl had knocked the wind out of him but had the audacity to put her hands on him, was again too much. He pulled free and swung at the man on his left with enough force to make him leave the ground then turned to the next and tackled him. Don punched the man until the man was not fighting back.

Don got to his feet, looked around and saw the little bitch that needed to learn her place and ran towards her. However, just as he reached her, the girl dropped. Then the pain hit him and he passed out.

Dani saw Mr. Baxter just after he tackled Jason but also saw that Mike, her Mike, was down. Time again slowed but it was the anger in her that kept her focused as Mr. Baxter came running towards her. At the last moment Dani dropped to one knee and punched with everything she had. To her it felt like she shoved her fist clean through the man then she felt something give just a bit more before Mr. Baxter curled in on himself and passed out.

Dani got up and ran to Mike who was just starting to try to get up. "Mike you just stay put until Carol can check you out?" Dani ordered. Mike for some reason thought staying put was a good idea as he started seeing flashes of light and his ears started ringing. Dani looked and spotted Peter and Jenny. "Peter, Jenny, in the house, get Mrs. Lynnette. Have her fill some plastic bags with ice, please and bring them to us!"

The kids ran off. Dani took Mike's cell. She knew Mike needed some back up so she called Jeff's number.

"Morrison, how's the party, Mike?"

"Mr. Morrison, it's Dani. We've got a problem here. There's been an assault. Mike's down but ok. We need you to come and take custody of the assailant."

"WHAT THE HELL! What happened?" Jeff yelled as he started pointing to several people to follow him out the door of the office.

Dani systematically told what had happened.

"SHIT Dani! OK, we're on our way. You call for medical. I'll see you in a bit." Jeff said as he hung up.

Dani called 911 but was told that some one had already called and two ambulances and several police cars were on their way. Mrs. Lynnette came with Peter, and Jenny, and the ice. By then Jason was coming around and poor Pat with his two boys had to restrain Dave again as he was ready to tear Mr. Baxter to pieces.

Dani then made Mike lay down but with his head on her lap. She caressed his face and petted his hair as she held the ice to his face. Mike would have been happy to just stay right there forever looking up into the most beautiful face he had ever seen.

Poor Jason, who took the worst of the attack, ended up with a concussion, broken nose, two broken ribs and two more that were cracked and an unnumbered amount of bruises. Mike had a cracked jaw and a concussion; both were going to be just fine. Mike was even allowed to leave the hospital the next morning. Only to be put into bed by Dani and Jeff with orders to stay there for a few days.

Mr. Baxter was charged with multiple offenses, not the least of which was assault of an agent. At the hospital he had been placed in the room next to the kidnapper that now needed to relieve himself sitting down and would soon be doing the same himself.

Dani knew she had to face everyone but had no idea what she was going to say. At Mikes urging, Dani called a meeting for the day after Jason McDoogle was released from the hospital. The people asked to come were of course the McDoogles, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Parks, Mr. Rivers, Mrs. McNarry, Mrs. Thorton, Mr. Morrison, and Mr. Corsair. Also there were Mr. and Mrs. Lynnette. Though Mr. Lynnette was quiet and subdued.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.