Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 78: Divinations

"Nagi Has secured her target." the woman closer to the rooms doorway announced, glancing within the darkened chamber where Ena sat. Brooding as was usual over her cards. A gentle nod, the only indication she had heard at all. "Main group reports the residence Secured." The woman, still viewed in silhouette continued. "I calculate less than a ten percent deviation from projected out come."

"Your accuracy is amazing!" The second woman's voice breathed. "As always."

Ena's response was merely a wane smile as her hand moved deftly. Drawing fresh cards from the left of her table. Turning them over in rapid fashion.

"Six of wands, indicating success." She recited almost nonchalant. "The four of swords, a period of rest." Ena

paused, almost imperceptibly before turning the last card face up with a definitive click. "Nine of swords." She announced with some notable firmness. "'Inverted', none have been harmed."

At the door of the room, the first women who had spoken, took a moment to daub at her eye, before hardening herself again.

"Thus the area is secured." The man beyond the tables circle of illumination spoke at last. His powerful outline completing the statement with a curt nod over crossed arms.

"My lord!" Ena emitted an astonished gasp as she noticed him starting to turn. "It most certainly is not!"

"Everything has been orchestrated to perfection my dear." His silhouette regarded her, turning back half way. "What possible could be left undone?" Her clearly annoyed response was to reach and draw, this time from her right hand deck.

"The moon?" She queried the forces aloud. As the first was overturned. "Define please." She then asked, drawing another card from the right. "The princess of cups?" Ena regarded the just revealed card quizzically.

"A beloved princess?" The first women who had spoken, mused curiously from the doorway. Her tone suggesting uncertainly as well. Ena had explained 'the tarot' at length of several occasions. She only wished now she'd paid more attention as Ena turned a befuddled gaze at the three darkened figures across from her.

"I'm afraid in this context I don't understand?" When her companion's silence continued for a few moments, Ena suddenly felt awkward. It was rare when she felt at a loss to interpret. "Everyone in the house is asleep." She continued, mostly to herself. "Who could it refer to?"

"It's probably not important." The man informed her, prompting an instant renewed look of concerned scorn and the drawing of another card.

"The Magician, skill, wisdom, power and new beginnings." She intoned drawing yet another. "The star?" She asked as it was revealed. "That indicates hope or unexpected aid. Taken together in this sense. All four cards seem to refer specifically to a young girl, the daughter of great power and great evil." Ena at last shook her head. "I don't understand?"

"Maybe your crystal ball's finally fogging over." The second woman mused quietly.

"Scoff all you like my lady!" Ena bristled immediately on the offensive. "You've bore witness to my skills! And yet you dare mock the sacred arts?" Realizing she'd stepped into a viper pit, The woman brought her hands up in a warding gesture.

"I certainly meant no offense!" She replied softly.

"Perhaps a glimpse into your own future?" Ena challenged clearly angered, already reaching for her next card. "Since as you maintain, it's all nonsense I'm sure you'll find it most amusing!"

"ENA!" The man snapped, with a note of panic more than evident to his voice. In the very act of drawing Ena paused as his words took hold.

"Forgive me!" She breathed sincerely. A look of shame coloring her lovely features. "I fear, I am not adept at accepting ridicule." Across from her the woman bowed her head.

"It is I who must beg forgiveness." She sighed honestly, knowing full well the reasons behind Ena's sudden outburst. She more than most, intimately understood the price one pays for power.

"I truly meant no disrespect." The woman amended with the slightest of bows from her place in the shadows while the man broad shoulders slumped with obvious relief. That is until noticing Ena regarding the card she had drawn, still pressed against the tabletop.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.