Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things) - Cover

Tenchi Muyo (All Good Things)

Copyright© 2009 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 6: Regrets

Smiling, his mind in a whirl Tenchi was yet again, wondering ... He was still uncertain exactly what had made that moment any different from countless others, but having no real regrets. What was more, it had all come so natural, instinctively. like he had done it before ... Had he? It was after all just a kiss. Mechanically it wasn't 'brain science' or even 'rocket surgery', but at the end of any day, is a kiss just as kiss? He'd always wondered also ... Well, what Ryoko would taste like?

There had been a worry, her lips would taste like sake, which wouldn't be so bad he supposed. Hers however was a curious mingling, reminiscent of fresh bread and honey mixed with the scent of wild flowers, he found he rather liked it. Rounding the hall corner entering the living room however Tenchi suddenly also found himself amending his number of regrets by a factor of one.

Ayeka, Breath taking as always, was siting on the far end of the wrap around sofa, quietly doing her needlework. Slender pale hands were drawing crimson thread through dark material tightened in a hoop. She was siting just precisely so, as always, the picture of composure and absolute grace.

Her hair this morning sporting no less than seventeen silver picks woven into an intricate interlocking series of loops which framed her features like an elaborate halo. He noted also, the ubiquitous tiara, The first princesses version of 'a master key' flattened, locked into and around the high collar back of her black dress. Delightfully baring her forehead for a change, with only a length of gold chain, woven into her hair to suspend a single placid tear shaped ruby in the center, matching her eyes. Quiet as he had been upon his approach, those same exquisite eyes turned just as he was entering. Then, in another example of measured grace, she smiled and brought a slender thimble capped finger to her lips.

"Shh!" Ayeka whispered, fixing him with a happy, if tired little smile. Gesturing toward the crib set some feet away. "I finally got her to stop fussing." The princess added. It suddenly occurred to Tenchi that Ayeka must have been up most of the morning caring for the child. Warmly returning her smile, he made way, carefully over to gaze inside where Mayuka Masaki slept. Her angelic face showing nothing of the feisty toddler usually ripping and tearing about the house.

"My little Startica present." Tenchi whispered sweetly, reaching ever so gently to brush her soft hair. Feeling as always an outpouring of love, so strong it was all he could do not to pick her up and squeeze her immediately. Knowing that even more than any other child, Mayuka was a miracle! Coming to believe it increasingly, not because of the fantastic events surrounding her birth and subsequence rebirth, which made it so, rather than the fact she was his daughter.

He settled instead for gently kissing his sleeping child. Even that light touch caused her a moment of stirring before she again settled, snuggling closer to the plush replica of 'Beatrice the butterfly' a character from her favorite TV show. Making then his egress from the bassinet, carefully as his approach, Tenchi was about to excuse himself when Ayeka indicated the sofa next to her with a patting gesture.

He complied only after a moment's hesitation, seeing no polite way around it, taking his place next to the seated princess. Closer now, Tenchi was incredibly conscience of Ayeka. Her smell, her eyes! He could plainly see how worn she truly was but doing her best to hide it. 'Mayuka could be a handful after all'. Truth of the matter was he felt like a total ass!

Again, It wasn't that he regretted what had happened, it was ... it had felt, so natural. It occurred to him now there was a certain easiness which he felt around Ryoko. Some would say that she was coarse, perhaps once he had as well. Ayeka however...

He had always felt, there was this, 'distance' his mind searched and found, for want of a better word. Not a barrier or something, impassible. There were times it seemed they could almost ... Tenchi didn't want to think about it, not really. Grandpa was right, he had waited, far far too long.

Perhaps, just perhaps he had acted impulsively, if he bothered to dissect what had happened in the entry hall. But whatever the reasons, it was done. The die was cast, his course long over due had been finally chosen. Soon, he must tell this divine creature that he had finally made his choice and that it simply wasn't her.

"I've nearly finished your festival jacket, Lord Tenchi." She quietly smiled, insisting on addressing him formally, as always. "I wonder if you would do me the honor of trying it on?"

"Sure!" He blurted, a little too loud.

"Shh!" Ayeka chided raising her fine eyebrows in dismay. "You'll wake her!" Glancing at the crib as though just now seeing it Tenchi looked back towards the princess clasping his hands together.

"Sorry." He softly moaned.

"Don't be sorry, Lord Tenchi!" She whispered sweetly, though there was the faintest edge to her voice. "Just please, shut up!"

Beaming at his nonplused reaction, Ayeka then handed carefully Tenchi the jacket she'd been working on. Standing again, it took only a moment, once he had pushed his arms through its sleeves. He stood, turning for her inspection.

"I like it." He stated simply, it was true! On a base color of midnight blue, the embroidery stood sharply. Amazingly intricate design work on just its left sleeve alone depicted a dragon, classically slithering in crimson, serpentine splendor. Feathering on each individual scale made it so realistic it almost appeared to breathe. Tenchi finished his pirouette facing her again, suddenly noticing Ayeka was covering her mouth in an attempt to stifle a giggle.

"It really is wonderful Ayeka." He said, mindful to keep his voice low. "One thing though?" He added, hoping he was not about to be rude. "I don't mean to complain, but this is kind of tight in the shoulders."

"That's because I forgot to take the hoop out." She said, blushing.

"Oh." Tenchi sighed relieved. "So that's why it's digging in up there!"

Slipping it off, returning the jacket to her hand, Tenchi stood there for a few moments, realizing there was still no easy way to excuse him self. So, he decided to just sit back down.

Ayeka looked upon him with that tired little smile, shaking head at her little goof. She started to remove the loom, then for some reason stopped. His brief moment of indecision seemed to be mildly troubling her.

"This is a real treat, for me you know." She said suddenly. "The two of us usually never get to talk, without someone interrupting."

"It is strange." Tenchi could only agree and nod. While thinking how lame he truly felt. Looking into those lovely eyes was sheer hell! He got a moment of relief when she glanced suddenly down.

"Stranger still," She murmured sadly. "Now that we have a moment alone," She fixed her eyes on her lap. "I can't think of anything to say."

"That's ok," He chuckled mildly. "Your probably just tired." His remark seemed to touch a hidden switch, as she became suddenly animate.

"Oh no! Not at all!" She said emphatically. Tenchi could only smile. Why Ayeka insisted presenting this perfect image to him was a genuine mystery. She just made it so damn hard for herself sometimes and it was not necessary.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.